Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

This is an an interesting watch for anyone interested in the idea of a "for hire" musician. I think it's on Netflix.

And just to ensure we're "on topic" Jason Newsted is in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,815 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

This is an an interesting watch for anyone interested in the idea of a "for hire" musician. I think it's on Netflix.

And just to ensure we're "on topic" Jason Newsted is in it!

very good watch

Alice Cooper comes off well while Billy Joel comes off as a prick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

A lot of these session musicians are really talented, but a band's about more than being the best collection of players you can find. It's about personality and chemistry and history. This is a subject relevant to Metallica in that there are consistent calls from a small-but-vocal subset of Metallica fans to ditch Kirk and/or Lars. It might be better, musically, if you did replace those guys, but it wouldn't be Metallica, just a musical entity legally entitled to operate under that name.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What if yourself and myself cowrote a few songs as a band with ozzy under the name ozzy. No agreements on paper just split evenly... But in the background the manager had all rights and publishing filed under "ozzy"... 20 years later they stop paying you, can you prove you wrote anything?

The absolutey solid bass and drums in the smiths thought they were in the smiths until the split then finding out legally they were in the Morrissey /Marr band which was hard on them

The understanding was that such copyright is meant to be applied automatically. Courts can be full of he said / they said stuff. So not too sure how it plays out in practice. Its been the reason why system of a down didn't do anything new when they started touring again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

They might not be your cup of tea but Ghost are far from nobodies.

I reckon they’re going to be massive by the end of next year.

Fair play I heard them and I think their awful-hoping someone good gets added to this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

mean gene wrote: »
    Fair play I heard them and I think their awful-hoping someone good gets added to this

Give them another listen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

That's it in a nutshell... All big bands that sold bucket loads before illegal downloads made money, nowadays its penny's from Google.
    There still money to be made in sales, publishing and streaming. Sure Metallica are making bucket loads with a loyal fan base and a back catalogue like theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

S.M.B. wrote: »
    There still money to be made in sales, publishing and streaming. Sure Metallica are making bucket loads with a loyal fan base and a back catalogue like theirs.

Yes they do well but how does a new band get to those heights?
    And own their publishing and masters.
    It was only after the black album that even they were able to buy their own masters back AFAIK
    They are in a unique position almost of being entirely in control of their brand.
    Streaming does not make money for bands, it might enable them to get ad deals but directly the income is minimal

It was only after the black album that even they were able to buy their own masters back AFAIK
    They are in a unique position almost of being entirely in control of their brand.
    Streaming does not make money for bands, it might enable them to get ad deals but directly the income is minimal

Yeah it is mental when you think about it, a mate sold feck all albums but had 30000 illegal downloads, life would be different if he got a 5er for each :)

Yeah it is mental when you think about it, a mate sold feck all albums but had 30000 illegal downloads, life would be different if he got a 5er for each :)

Decent bragging rights though!:)

• Advertisement

Decent bragging rights though!:)

Not really.... Wasn't a great time to spend money on a producer :)

Not really.... Wasn't a great time to spend money on a producer :)

Ah bollix. Well at least he went for it, imagine he didn't! it would always be at him.
    Hope he's in a good place now.

SO you form a band, decide all equal split on everything, everyone contributes what the can and any money earned after expenses equally divided.
    All good so far.
    First album done and support tour, goes pretty well there is SOME money coming in.

Now the drummer doesn't like setting up so he has that done for him and he is always late. He played on the album but EXACTLY the parts YOU wrote on ezdrummer when you wrote the song with the singer.
    He disappears at teardown after minimal work and is a generally lazy git even if he is funny and a good hang.

Are you still cool watching him get the same as your hard working, promoting, booking, PA rigging, writing self?

It definitely has changed the majority of bands once the money comes in.

and next thing ya know the singer wants a 20ft ramp :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Streaming may have it's issues and this probably more apparent when it comes to smaller bands but my post was in reply to a comment that said "All big bands that sold bucket loads before illegal downloads made money, nowadays its penny's from Google". Big bands still make a lot of money from streaming. The amount of money that was floating around the music industry in the 90s was absurd so it may not reach those heights again but I believe things are lot better now than they were 10 years ago.

Streaming has completely changed the industry, partially for the better and partially for the worse. I don't think it's destroyed the industry though. Not yet anyway, the whole thing may have to reinvent itself again in another 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭RayCon

Even before the internet, never mind streaming, artists never got $5 per album sold. I think I remember reading years ago that Michael Jackson got $0.80 per copy of Thriller sold (which is still $0.80 X 30million or whatever).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

RayCon wrote: »
    Even before the internet, never mind streaming, artists never got $5 per album sold. I think I remember reading years ago that Michael Jackson got $0.80 per copy of Thriller sold (which is still $0.80 X 30million or whatever).

66 million claimed sales :eek: 47 million verified :eek: :eek: That's a lot of 80 cents. (Wikipedia)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭glucifer

So The stadium stage - which I'm sure is what they'll use for Slane - famously has no roof on it. I know it's on in June but it's on in June in IRELAND! I saw some vids where they had to stop one gig for an hour while they built some kind of perspex box around the drums. Weather for GnR last year rained literally all day until GnR were about to come on

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

glucifer wrote: »
    So The stadium stage - which I'm sure is what they'll use for Slane - famously has no roof on it. I know it's on in June but it's on in June in IRELAND! I saw some vids where they had to stop one gig for an hour while they built some kind of perspex box around the drums. Weather for GnR last year rained literally all day until GnR were about to come on

Sure it’ll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Interview with David Fricke about ...And Justice For All, David did the band's first feature for Rolling Stone magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Interview with David Fricke about ...And Justice For All, David did the band's first feature for Rolling Stone magazine.

Kirk has aged..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,815 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

mloc123 wrote: »
    Kirk has aged..

yeah and James with the beard again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I’ve had that Seattle ‘89 gig on repeat since Friday. Sounds so good.

I've given a lot of attention to The Troubadour gig from May '88.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Extensive interview with Jason on pretty much everything!

https://www.metallica.com/so-what-article/2018-11-12-jason-ajfa-interview.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Extensive interview with Jason on pretty much everything!

https://www.metallica.com/so-what-article/2018-11-12-jason-ajfa-interview.html

Need to set up an account

Can anyone copy/paste the interview or is it video?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Need to set up an account

Can anyone copy/paste the interview or is it video?

It’s free to register

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

That Seattle gig is so good. Would love to have seen them live back then. Hetfields voice is so strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

That Seattle gig is so good. Would love to have seen them live back then. Hetfields voice is so strong.

Yup, such power and real emotion behind every word.
    Youth and booze.

All Within My Hands from their All Within My Hands Foundation Helping Hands Concert & Auction from earlier this month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Yup, such power and real emotion behind every word. Youth and booze.

And that riff at 5.55 on .... And Justice For All, I can't get enough of it. Heavy as ****

Advertisement