Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DayZ Standalone

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Base building? When was that added?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

It was added a few weeks back, be careful building though as there's currently a server crash bug that results in most bases/tents/barrels being wiped

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

There are only 12 guns in the game & it will be like that for release. Hopefully now that mod tools are out, guys can get the Arma stuff in there and actually make it interesting. I have no interest using the same M4/AK/Mosin combo I've used for years.

DayZ used to be (for me anyway) finding awesome, really rare gear and then ****ting yourself every time you came in contact with someone cause you might loose your stuff.

The game used to be famous for sniper battles on the Northwest airfield that were so intense. Now there isn't even a fecking sniper rifle in the game!! (Can't put a long range scope on the Mosin, SVD is a DMR)

This mod adds back in a lot of the guns that are missing https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1559317235
    I just want a littlebird and a Huey added to the game. Nothing like diving for cover when you hear one approaching or watching someone attempt to pilot their newly repaired chopper only to plow it straight into the trees/building in front of them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think what we all really want is the glory days of the mod back but that just isn't happening. I played the standalone for the first time since it's release about a month ago and it's very different to the mod but I have to say I enjoyed it. I'm used to arma games so I don't find the movement and inventory awkward and the map changes they've made are really cool. Some stuff is a bit too far though. Like when I found a mosin I was happy out, then I found the right bullets and I was like nice one now I have a gun, nope. You have to find the right magazine that fits the fúcking gun. Can't even load a round in the chamber for some reason. In 25 hours of playing with that character I never did find the magazine. I also nearly starved to death because it took me so long to figure out how to cook some chicken. Basically they went too deep on the realism and it hampers the experience.

But man I forgot just how much of a time sink this game is. You have to put in serious hours to make any meaningful progress, my life has moved on since the mod in 2010 and I just don't have that kind of time to put into games anymore. I get an hour here and there and that's it so stuff like PUBG, Fortnite and some Arma 3 is just better for me.

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    Some stuff is a bit too far though. Like when I found a mosin I was happy out, then I found the right bullets and I was like nice one now I have a gun, nope. You have to find the right magazine that fits the fúcking gun. Can't even load a round in the chamber for some reason. In 25 hours of playing with that character I never did find the magazine. I also nearly starved to death because it took me so long to figure out how to cook some chicken. Basically they went too deep on the realism and it hampers the experience.

You can load the mosin without a magazine, they've changed how you load weapons. You need to have the ammo/magazine that you want to load in one of your hot slots, with your gun in hand hold that slot number and you'll load your gun

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

5 years and 2 days after DayZ Early Access launched it will finally launch with 1.0 (Early Access :P ) on the 13th. Anyone else going to hop on for the craic? I was playing on a couple of the modded servers the other night, trying to find something that resembles the old games feel. The Nest was the closest I think.

Anyone have any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Might pop on for a laugh. Haven't been playing for ages.

It'll be gas if all the old schoolers jump in and head straight to the nearest airfield to tool up.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

By all accounts it's a release to just get the game out before Christmas, any old way, and not an actual release. Still apparently buggy as ****. Still, I already own it so I might pop on for the craic to see how it is.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I sther ea p articular Serverp eople areu sing?

Stupidk eyboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Blackgator

Had my first game of DayZ the other day, dipping my toes into PC gaming.

I'm so F'ing lost. I can't work out where I am.

Met a few new spawns, had a couple of shovel fights (which I won). The shovel is OP.

Played same character for 3 days, killing 5 other players. Eventually found military tents and got a fully gears MP5. Scope, silencer, the works.
    Shot a zombie to try it out and got attacked by 4 others. Swarmed me and killed me.

Was I annoyed, yes.
    Did I just straight back in and do it again, YES.

Loving it so far, but anyone got tips on working out where I spawn?

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Blackgator wrote: »
    Had my first game of DayZ the other day, dipping my toes into PC gaming.

I'm so F'ing lost. I can't work out where I am.

Met a few new spawns, had a couple of shovel fights (which I won). The shovel is OP.

Played same character for 3 days, killing 5 other players. Eventually found military tents and got a fully gears MP5. Scope, silencer, the works.
    Shot a zombie to try it out and got attacked by 4 others. Swarmed me and killed me.

Was I annoyed, yes.
    Did I just straight back in and do it again, YES.

Loving it so far, but anyone got tips on working out where I spawn?

Firstly, you wanna start off with a map. You can search around to find one you prefer, but I find this one to be pretty good: https://dayz.ginfo.gg/#c=17;37;2

Usually when you spawn you will be on the coast somewhere. One easy thing to do is run inland from the coast; if you hit train tracks before a road, you are between the far left side of the map and Elektro. If you hit the road before the train tracks, you are on the eastern side of the map, between Elektro and Berezino. That can be a good starting point for working it out. (there are a few places around Elektro where the road and train tracks switch around, but for the most part that rule works)

After that, the best way is to use the road signs: http://www.psychicgamers.co.uk/articles/dayz-standalone/tutorials/navigation-signs . Find a sign at the edge of a town and find it in that list or directly on the map, and you can figure out where you are.

Back in Arma2 DayZ, clouds always moved eastwards, but that is no longer the case.

The more you play the better you'll get at locating yourself, after a while it'll be second nature!

The fact that the map is so realistic makes it easier to learn imo, you can use your sense of direction like you would in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

The fact that the map is so realistic makes it easier to learn imo, you can use your sense of direction like you would in real life.

The map is based on real locations in the Czech Republic. If you're from the area it must be a (literal) walk in the park!

https://imgur.com/gallery/3C2fV

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ll=50.71286861566869%2C14.120705128839063&z=12&mid=1EJNBRC6X6C2P6Q1MGrsOb8Zynt4

Got this map which shows landmarks near the spawn points. Haven't tried it yet but look useful.
    https://m.imgur.com/TZitvQY

I was thinking of playing custom servers that show coordinates for a while, just till I get used to spawns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Got this map which shows landmarks near the spawn points. Haven't tried it yet but look useful.
    https://m.imgur.com/TZitvQY

I was thinking of playing custom servers that show coordinates for a while, just till I get used to spawns.

Better off not, learn without the coordinates and itll stick better.

Haven't played in years, jumped in yesterday for a bit and was pleasantly surprised at how well it runs and the new UI etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭Glebee

Ive been dipping in and out over the past few days. Its alot more polished than its ever been but its really missed its chance. It looks lovely and theres a great sense of isolation when your out in the wild...

I've about 30 hrs in game now, starting to get used to the town's around the cost. And finding my way inland with an external map I do okay. But when it comes to shooting people I'm useless. First real leap into PC gaming, guess it will just take a while.

I wonder is there any single player/offline mode I can practice on. Would love a server where you spawn in an area full of guns just to give them a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The mods that developed out of the original mod were better than this imo.

Not slagging the game but to me it just appears theres different goals here to the mods. The survival aspects of the mods were minimal where as the survival systems in the game are pretty substantial. The mods never made it so finicky to keep food,hunger and sickness at bay.
    Guns/ammo were more prevelant,easier to find and again less finicky.

The changes,IMO,were to maybe make the game less a KOS fest. Its defo more of a dilema now about what to do when you see another player.

Personally i preffered the older mods but i could see why people could prefer this games way of doing things.

• Advertisement

KOS got boring real fast though. Every online game is KOS, largely cos gamers are arseholes. It's tedious.

It's difficult to strike a balance though. There was never enough "E" to challenge a player who wanted to just play PVE, so people got bored and just went looking for the nearest gun and then off to whack someone before they got whacked themselves.

I haven't played for ages, but will jump in again soon enough I reckon. So, hopefully, there's more to the game than there was.

My thing with 'DayZ', though, was that there was never enough "Z" and they were far too easy to get rid of. AFAIC, the zombies should be a real threat, so as to force people to work together, or at least make them an element to be feared by all players.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

I've about 30 hrs in game now, starting to get used to the town's around the cost. And finding my way inland with an external map I do okay. But when it comes to shooting people I'm useless. First real leap into PC gaming, guess it will just take a while.

I wonder is there any single player/offline mode I can practice on. Would love a server where you spawn in an area full of guns just to give them a try.

If you are new to PC gaming pick up SCUM and join a RP server. It is very much imop what DayZ should and could have been. Much more published and clean in comparison.

Tony EH wrote: »
    KOS got boring real fast though. Every online game is KOS, largely cos gamers are arseholes. It's tedious.

It's difficult to strike a balance though. There was never enough "E" to challenge a player who wanted to just play PVE, so people got bored and just went looking for the nearest gun and then off to whack someone before they got whacked themselves.

I haven't played for ages, but will jump in again soon enough I reckon. So, hopefully, there's more to the game than there was.

My thing with 'DayZ', though, was that there was never enough "Z" and they were far too easy to get rid of. AFAIC, the zombies should be a real threat, so as to force people to work together, or at least make them an element to be feared by all players.

Well thats the thing,unless you werent paying attention the zombies werent a threat so i agree there. The only real threat was other players. If there were no other players the survival aspect would have wore thin just a quick a KOS as without players there was no real threat.

So in that sense i always felt both sides of the argument had merit. DayZ the game for me just pushes a bit too far in a direction that im not sure is for me. I can understand that they didnt want it to be just a PvP game but the balance for me is not quite right yet. Different strokes for different folks i guess.

Ill be visiting the game from time to time though to check out new stuff and mods when the modders start to find there feet.

Tony EH wrote: »

I agree but it's very hard to make a server run well if there 1000s of NPC zombies roaming around. The game runs nice enough these days and it took them years to get it like that so I doubt we'll see hoardes added or anything like that.

You picked Dayz as your introduction to PC gaming?:pac:

Maybe try Arma 3 and play on a wasteland server. It's basically like an open world team deathmatch with guns and vehicles spread around the map. It runs on nearly the same engine as Dayz so feels quite similar and its made by the same developers. Its like Dayz but less running and more shooting. Also arma 3 has many other servers running game modes that are sandbox survival like dayz but guns and gear are much easier to find and its more PvP based so you should improve faster.

Been back playing/admin for the past while, really enjoying the game again. =UN= Community Server|Trader|WeaponRedux|Bases|Winter is the server I run if anyone's looking for a place to play

58dnVdXl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭Glebee

Squaredude wrote: »
    Been back playing/admin for the past while, really enjoying the game again. =UN= Community Server|Trader|WeaponRedux|Bases|Winter is the server I run if anyone's looking for a place to play

58dnVdXl.jpg

Cant find it on the lists

Glebee wrote: »
    Cant find it on the lists

Using this launcher is the best way to find/join servers right now, filter =UN= https://dayzsalauncher.com/

EoinHef wrote: »
    Well thats the thing,unless you werent paying attention the zombies werent a threat so i agree there. The only real threat was other players. If there were no other players the survival aspect would have wore thin just a quick a KOS as without players there was no real threat.

So in that sense i always felt both sides of the argument had merit. DayZ the game for me just pushes a bit too far in a direction that im not sure is for me. I can understand that they didnt want it to be just a PvP game but the balance for me is not quite right yet. Different strokes for different folks i guess.

Ill be visiting the game from time to time though to check out new stuff and mods when the modders start to find there feet.

Completely agree Eoin, and I've PVP'd out of sheer "whatnowitis", because that's where the excitement was sometimes. You're correct, there's no side that had more merit than the other.

I agree but it's very hard to make a server run well if there 1000s of NPC zombies roaming around. The game runs nice enough these days and it took them years to get it like that so I doubt we'll see hoardes added or anything like that.

True and with their glitches intact, it would have been awful.

But, I was thinking more along the lines of them being truly dangerous to the player in terms of killing as opposed to numbers. In other words, say a hit from a zombie could cause the player to get disease? Or two strikes and your dead. That way people would be incredibly reluctant to even go near them.

As they stand, well as they stood the last time I played, they weren't even a nuisance.

• Advertisement

Squaredude wrote: »
    Using this launcher is the best way to find/join servers right now, filter =UN= https://dayzsalauncher.com/

Is this like A3Launcher? Great tool that A3Launcher

Advertisement