Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota is bringing back Camry and discontinuing Avensis

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

The Camry's always had a slightly prestigious look to them here in Ireland. Probably because they were slightly larger than other normal D Segment saloons, had a bigger engine and were relatively rare.

In the USA they're derided as a "Moms car"!

bazz26 wrote: »
    I see they have released photos of the new Corolla saloon.

Are they going to have anything better than the 1.3L (manual) that we had to make do with in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

They're going to be selling it with a 1.6 Valvematic. Odd in this day and age to launch a new car with a naturally aspirated engine although I doubt your average Corolla buyer either knows or cares. I've driven an Auris with that engine and there is loads of go in it for a NA 1.6.

As for it being big enough to replace the Avensis, it's certainly priced like an Avensis anyway, starts at something like €27k here.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,161 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Are they going to have anything better than the 1.3L (manual) that we had to make do with in Ireland?

1.6 petrol and 1.8 petrol/hybrid only. The saloon is also being sold in the UK for the first time in 15 years. I don't think they will sell many there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,705 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Spotted this hybrid Honda Accord on Donedeal, wonder will Honda start bringing new versions of this in, I suppose Accord is somewhere between Avensis and Camry. I know they have ditched the current Accord onsale in Europe.

Zjc0NGEwNWNhNTM4NDFhMzdjYjA3OWVhMjJiZDllZjQ2l3E5fuWOXdFVl3BD6MQFaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTMwMDk4NTF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-2019-sale-now-on-132-hybrid/20358537

• Advertisement

Very unlikely, they recently launched a saloon version of the current Civic and it's not far off the dimensions of the old Accord that disappeared here from around 2014. Japanese and US Accords are totally different to the ones sold in Europe so I don't see the financial sense in designing a car just for Europe in a shrinking segment where SUVs are becoming more popular. Honda have just launched the CRV with a hybrid version due early next year. They don't need another saloon in between that and the Civic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭selectamatic

They're going to be selling it with a 1.6 Valvematic. Odd in this day and age to launch a new car with a naturally aspirated engine although I doubt your average Corolla buyer either knows or cares. I've driven an Auris with that engine and there is loads of go in it for a NA 1.6.

As said it's a real pity the 2.0 170bhp petrol and six speed manual options aren't available it'd be a real throwback to the warm 90's Toyota's.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Now that Honda UK are out of the picture with regard to having the ultimate say in what Models are sold in Europe I would hope that Honda Europe will start to bring the Accord back, I understand that Honda UK was very unhappy selling imported Models as they preferred to sell UK built models like the CRV, and Civic and were very glad to drop the Accord.

As said it's a real pity the 2.0 170bhp petrol and six speed manual options aren't available it'd be a real throwback to the warm 90's Toyota's.

Still, that 1.6L 130hp is a step up from the 1.3L. An extra 30 horse.

Is that 2.0L gonna be sold in other markets?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Still, that 1.6L 130hp is a step up from the 1.3L. An extra 30 horse.

Is that 2.0L gonna be sold in other markets?

Don't think it'll be in any European market. Australia and the US have it since last year.

• Advertisement

Yeah your average Irish Corolla buyers are probably middle aged family folk. 2.0L 170hp ain't gonna sell. 'Tis a pity though.

The hatchback and estate will be available with the 2.0 hybrid here.

The hatchback and estate will be available with the 2.0 hybrid here.

I heard prices of circa 37k for one of those. Don't think you will be seeing too many sold at those sort of prices.

I heard prices of circa 37k for one of those. Don't think you will be seeing too many sold at those sort of prices.

At those prices definitely not. Toyota Ireland are totally taking the proverbial with the pricing for these cars, €27k for the cheapest Corolla is mental (or €26k for the conventional petrol engine), it wasn't that long ago when you could get an Avensis in a good spec for the same money.

Admittedly the new car looks like a massive step forward, a bit like the difference between a Mk1 and Mk2 Avensis, and it seems to have gotten very favourable reviews in the UK press (so that must mean it's someway decent) but I still think it's very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,294 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Its impressive looking for a corolla but I'm sure 99 percent of the ones sold here will look terrible in base spec.
    It does look like they are replacing the avensis with corolla and keeping the Camry as a higher end option. The pricing would suggest so anyway.
    The result will be huge corolla sales and no Camry sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

At those prices definitely not. Toyota Ireland are totally taking the proverbial with the pricing for these cars, €27k for the cheapest Corolla is mental (or €26k for the conventional petrol engine), it wasn't that long ago when you could get an Avensis in a good spec for the same money.

Admittedly the new car looks like a massive step forward, a bit like the difference between a Mk1 and Mk2 Avensis, and it seems to have gotten very favourable reviews in the UK press (so that must mean it's someway decent) but I still think it's very expensive.

The base Corolla with the 1.3 is 22,250.

Actually never mind that. Thats for the old model.I've been looking and it's very hard to find out the price for the non hybrid Corolla.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

mickdw wrote: »
    Its impressive looking for a corolla but I'm sure 99 percent of the ones sold here will look terrible in base spec.
    It does look like they are replacing the avensis with corolla and keeping the Camry as a higher end option. The pricing would suggest so anyway.
    The result will be huge corolla sales and no Camry sales.

The pictures of the corolla looked like cg, I would agree with the base spec. Ireland always get the crappiest spec going in cars

I think the entry level model will be Luna spec, so for once they'll actually be some way decently equipped even if you go for the cheapest version.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Borderfox wrote: »
    The pictures of the corolla looked like cg, I would agree with the base spec. Ireland always get the crappiest spec going in cars

Blame our vrt and excise duty for that.
    Ireland’s base cost of a car is on a par with the UK but we are being rode by the government here for tax.
    Which is why car manufacturers offer paddy spec.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Blazer wrote: »
    Blame our vrt and excise duty for that.
    Ireland’s base cost of a car is on a par with the UK but we are being rode by the government here for tax.
    Which is why car manufacturers offer paddy spec.

Looking at some of the colours on the road they let them out of the factory with only the primer on them

Im surprised that SIMI haven't taken a case to Europe over the VRT still being charged despite it being a temporary measure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Borderfox wrote: »
    Looking at some of the colours on the road they let them out of the factory with only the primer on them

Im surprised that SIMI haven't taken a case to Europe over the VRT still being charged despite it being a temporary measure

I don't think you can VRT a temp measure seeing as its been in since 1992 I think was it? Another reason to hate Bertie.
    Its a disgraceful tax. If they really wanted to and were clever they would have 10% VRT on new cars and 20% on imports which might push more people into upgrading.
    That way the government still gets a chunk of cash from VRT and excise from all new cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

But this is Ireland where your typical driver especially Toyota driver will be thinking "Jesus sure what would I want a big engine like that for?". The outgoing Rav4 had a 2.5 litre petrol engine in the hybrid version and didn't sell very well here. Then you have the insurance companies who will probably class them as sports/performance cars. Same goes with them being automatic/CVT only, some people here have the mindset that automatics are only for American tourists or those who cannot drive a manual.

it won't sell down t'country for the reasons listed above , and in cities where people have already been woo'ed over to bmw/mercedes/audi/mercedes for 'luxury' it'll feel like a step back. I can see it selling , but not in huge numbers. If its priced right it might grab non-taxi drivers looking to buy Skoda superbs, disgruntled insignia drivers fed up of diesel and maybe the lads who have passats but can't quite justify an A4/A6

If Avensis buyers don't wanna go up to the Camry I reckon the new Corolla estate could do the job.

Looks pretty good.

191-COROLLA-TS-1140_tcm-3044-1492320.jpg

Engines will include a 116hp 1.2T petrol and 1.8 (122hp) and 2.0 (180hp) hybrids.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭scooby77

Went to Hybrid Roadshow in Sligo earlier. LHD Camry there...fine machine. New Corolla hatch and saloon are grand. No touring sport unfortunately. But for me new Rav4 stole the show...very impressive machine( and I'm not an SUV nut and dislike current model).
    AWD version available for 192...pricing and real world economy for that be interesting.
    (Didnt get to test drive anything btw. Good crowd round)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

scooby77 wrote: »
    Went to Hybrid Roadshow in Sligo earlier. LHD Camry there...fine machine. New Corolla hatch and saloon are grand. No touring sport unfortunately. But for me new Rav4 stole the show...very impressive machine( and I'm not an SUV nut and dislike current model).
    AWD version available for 192...pricing and real world economy for that be interesting.
    (Didnt get to test drive anything btw. Good crowd round)

How impressed were you with the Camry?
    I chickened out of going to Glanmire last week.
    Think I will have to make one soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭scooby77

High class interior. Great spec. Side by side with Corolla though front styling maybe too similar for price???
    Went to see it more than others. Have often been in them in Dubai Taxis. Like them...need test drive. Rav has caught my eye though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

The new RAV 4 looks fantastic. Certainly inspired by the US market 4 runner. I do like the new Camry too. Toyota are upping their game with this generation to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 23,294 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'd like to see the rav4. It does appear bold and should be nice engine wise too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

New Toyota line up looks fantastic, which is very frightening to me.

Did I finally hit the wall and became old and boring or Toyota pulled out something really nice.

Love Camry and I would drive it, but its way out of my budget.
    Love sport tourer and 2.0 180hp hybrid just perfect for me. Again, I bet its going to be 33k+++ with that engine and a few toys. So again, out of my budget.
    I wonder how much normal Corolla with that 2.0 engine in mid spec will cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

Around the 30k mark as cheapest is over 26k for the 1.2 turbo petrol.

Advertisement