Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota is bringing back Camry and discontinuing Avensis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

ofcork wrote: »
    Around the 30k mark as cheapest is over 26k for the 1.2 turbo petrol.

I went to their website and in financial calculator they dont have 2.0 version, only 1.8. Maybe not updated yet.
    1.8 in luna spec comes to 30k and with 3.9% apr it adds another 2k. So 32k+ for it. Thats a lot for Corolla.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Wonder how long we'll have to wait to see if the 1.2t will take a td04 at a bar of boost ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Wonder how long we'll have to wait to see if the 1.2t will take a td04 at a bar of boost ;)

Lol.

Seriously though, the 1.33 with 99hp was a tad underpowered. 116hp from the 1.2 is better (providing the car isn't any heavier than the last one).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The 2.0 hybrid was meant to be starting at mid 30s and going all the way up to high 30s, but no official prices have been given yet.

It's also meant to have a revised CVT gearbox that makes it feel like it's got a traditional torque converter automatic gearbox, if that's true then it will be a massive step forward.

But the pricing is still nuts even for the cheaper versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,507 ✭✭✭✭vectra

scooby77 wrote: »
    High class interior. Great spec. Side by side with Corolla though front styling maybe too similar for price???
    Went to see it more than others. Have often been in them in Dubai Taxis. Like them...need test drive. Rav has caught my eye though.

Thanks for that.
    Did you find the Dubai Camry quiet on the road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I doubt very much you will see the 2.0 hybrid Corolla sold here except maybe as a special order. It will probably be the same as the old Auris 2.2d-4d 180bhp that only the UK and Continent got. It was too expensive to sell in Ireland, people just don't pay 30k+ for Corollas here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I went to their website and in financial calculator they dont have 2.0 version, only 1.8. Maybe not updated yet.
    [...]

The "all new corolla" flyer I got from Toyota Swinford 2 days ago says both 1.8 and 2.0 hybrids will be available. However, as you mentioned, there is no 2.0 on website, and salesman I asked said 1.8 ONLY.

Disappointed I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

They never sold the 2.2 diesel here (probably just as well given the well known reliability problems this engine suffers from). They're advertising the fact that the new Corolla will be available here with the 2.0 hybrid, but I don't expect many takers, sure even the cheapest models aren't really that cheap at all. To be honest the 1.8 is probably enough for most people. In fairness to Toyota, at least they still fit the car with proper suspension on all models (VW Group and Ford take note).

Whats hp on 1.8? I guess around 140?

180hp is a golden spot, where car is not a sports car, but can shift and overtake when needed.

Whats hp on 1.8? I guess around 140?.

• Advertisement

Jaysus feck.... Yeah, scratch that off my list so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

That's more than acceptable for a normal small family car. It wasn't that long ago when 75 bhp was typical for the Paddy Spec hatchback in that class.

Jaysus feck.... Yeah, scratch that off my list so.

She'd be grand for a remap.

She'd be grand for a remap.

Or instead of new turbos, you can throw a wee extra battery in a boot. :D

Nah, seriously, I expected it to have a bit more power. Even 1.8 on its own with 122hp sounds very low. A lot of manufacturers try to get electric engines give extra power in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭scooby77

vectra wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    Did you find the Dubai Camry quiet on the road?
    Around the city, as a passenger, top class. Drivers all said like they like it too.
    However a long test drive on roads here in north west needed.

scooby77 wrote: »
    Around the city, as a passenger, top class. Drivers all said like they like it too.
    However a long test drive on roads here in north west needed.

I am very tempted to make the move from diesel to one of these this time.

I don't think you could go far wrong Vectra.

I don't think you could go far wrong Vectra.

Indeed,
    I remember my father in law bought a new Camry estate in 1987 and it was an absolute dream to drive. ( Possibly 87 C 2293 )
    I remember then after that the Gardai got some as well and those looked well comfy, I can only assume these will be a nice cruiser, I know some people think " A Toyota is a box on wheels to get you from A to B"
    But sometimes you gotta look at it in a different way.
    Spoke with a dealer today about the Platinum one and it would be as cheap as many others for me to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I'm driving a 2001 and its a lovely cruiser even the 2.2. Most comfortable car I've ever driven which is great for +6 hour drives I've done here in Australia. There still a very popular car from the early models to present over here.

I was a hybrid one in Sydney a few months back and it seem quite enough inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I just placed an order for the new Corolla saloon sport. I should get my hand on it by the end of March. I'm going from a 2016 Ford focus. I wanted a change and my wife needs an automatic, her knees are fecked. I did test drive the hatch version with the same engine and was happy with the way it drove. The CVT transmission had me concerned but, it was grad. I think it has the new Direct Shift-CVT? It will be interesting to see if it gets better gas millage then the Turbo diesel. We do a lot of long distance driving coming in and out of Cork city from north Cork.

• Advertisement

The 1.8 hybrid?

The 1.8 hybrid?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I just placed an order for the new Corolla saloon sport. I should get my hand on it by the end of March. I'm going from a 2016 Ford focus. I wanted a change and my wife needs an automatic, her knees are fecked. I did test drive the hatch version with the same engine and was happy with the way it drove. The CVT transmission had me concerned but, it was grad. I think it has the new Direct Shift-CVT? It will be interesting to see if it gets better gas millage then the Turbo diesel. We do a lot of long distance driving coming in and out of Cork city from north Cork.

Hybrid don't use the typical CVT - but eCVT. Which is something completely different, without belt nor pulleys.

grogi wrote: »
    Hybrid don't use the typical CVT - but eCVT. Which is something completely different, without belt nor pulleys.

Oh okay, I didn't not like it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The electric motors (there are two) are integral to the transmission in Toyota/Lexus hybrids, and it uses a combination of those and a planetary gearset. It's nothing like their other CVT boxes. A more accurate term may be "power split transmission", as it's what allows either the electric motors to drive the wheels, or the ICE, or both at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭ofcork

What spec and price I'm thinking about one.

The new hatch looks very good imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭ofcork

Only in the right spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,614 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I seen one of the new Corolla hatch's today in a nice red and it looked good. Was not sure what it was at first as it was driving by but then copped what car it was.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,385 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The electric motors (there are two) are integral to the transmission in Toyota/Lexus hybrids, and it uses a combination of those and a planetary gearset. It's nothing like their other CVT boxes. A more accurate term may be "power split transmission", as it's what allows either the electric motors to drive the wheels, or the ICE, or both at the same time.

To be fair, pretty much the only Toyota CVTs people in Ireland will have experience of is eCVT.

Advertisement