Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minor schemes & realignments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

https://www.donegalnow.com/news/three-major-n56-projects-completed-end-2019/263339

The construction on the N56 schemes at Kilmacrennan, Mount Charles to Inver and Dungloe - Glenties to be completed by end of year. I wasn't aware that the schemes mentioned for tender were this advanced, particularly Frosses to Inver. Has anyone any info and updates/photos of the current construction schemes?

I found what appear to be some images on this contractors site?

McMackin Contracts - Kilmacrennan to Coolboy

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://www.donegalnow.com/news/three-major-n56-projects-completed-end-2019/263339

The construction on the N56 schemes at Kilmacrennan, Mount Charles to Inver and Dungloe - Glenties to be completed by end of year. I wasn't aware that the schemes mentioned for tender were this advanced, particularly Frosses to Inver. Has anyone any info and updates/photos of the current construction schemes?
    The 2 bigger N56 schemes have their own threads, more info there:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056889757

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057563596

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Well, I would ask Spacetweek, as his page Irishmotorwayinfo.com shows a future N61 bypass rejoining the existing N61 at roughly the point where the new roundabout is.

That was more than likely educated guesswork on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

spacetweek wrote: »
    Well, I would ask Spacetweek, as his page Irishmotorwayinfo.com shows a future N61 bypass rejoining the existing N61 at roughly the point where the new roundabout is.

That was more than likely educated guesswork on my part.

I did think it was somewhat aspirational, to say the least...
    :-D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I did think it was somewhat aspirational, to say the least...
    :-D

There was a bigger plan for the N61 but it's been blueshirted into a smaller series of realignments, one chunk at a time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 HabibiLibnen

I don't know how an eastern bypass of Roscommon would work without a lot of CPOs and demolition of houses. It doesn't seem feasible at all.

There's a survey on Ros Co Co website to gauge people's views on the section of the N61 from Ballymurray to Knockcroghery.

The section from Clashaganny to Tulsk is listed on TII's website for future planning but I'd imagine it'll be at least 10 years before planning might even commence. It's unfortunate because a lot of the work would involve a simple widening of the road for most sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Kilmacrennan - Letterkenny section is coming on well, a few stretches of the new alignment are already partially open. Still a lot of work going on but should definitely be finished later this year.

Haven't driven the Glenties or Mountcharles sections recently but there was still a lot to do on both a few months back

• Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

signs up stating n60 realignment at Lagnamuck starting 21st of Jan until the end of 2019.

marno21 wrote: »
    N70 Kilderry bends powering along now. The offline section on the Milltown section is tarmaced but the tie in is yet to start. The N70 is down to one lane with traffic lights on the Killorglin side where tie in works have started and are significantly advanced
    Tie in works are almost complete now at the Killorglin end with signage poles up.

Work has yet to start on the Milltown side for the tie in works.

Tie in works are almost complete now at the Killorglin end with signage poles up.

Work has yet to start on the Milltown side for the tie in works.
    Stop/go system in place now on the Milltown side where the tie in works are now well underway. Most of the mainline seems complete, so the Q2 scheduled completion date will definitely be met.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Widening of Letterfrack Road (n59) has commenced. Very poor stretch of road which had many buses in the summer months going to Connemara National Park and Kylemore Abbey but was not big enough for two to pass. Can't come quick enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 HabibiLibnen

Widening of Letterfrack Road (n59) has commenced. Very poor stretch of road which had many buses in the summer months going to Connemara National Park and Kylemore Abbey but was not big enough for two to pass. Can't come quick enough!

That's great news for the area. Agreed, it'll be a big boost during the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

marno21 wrote:
    Stop/go system in place now on the Milltown side where the tie in works are now well underway. Most of the mainline seems complete, so the Q2 scheduled completion date will definitely be met.

One of the least disruptive road schemes I've ever seen, totally offline with a tie in at each end. Looks like a fantastic stretch of road from each side.

Kevwoody wrote: »
    One of the least disruptive road schemes I've ever seen, totally offline with a tie in at each end. Looks like a fantastic stretch of road from each side.

Agree on both points, no effects on N70 traffic until the tie in works started. Going to be absolutely transformative especially with the climbing lane too

Will be fantastic to have it open for summer and even better with Kerry County Council now advancing the next 3/4km heading north bypassing Milltown

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Agree on both points, no effects on N70 traffic until the tie in works started. Going to be absolutely transformative especially with the climbing lane too

Will be fantastic to have it open for summer and even better with Kerry County Council now advancing the next 3/4km heading north bypassing Milltown

The view from the top is fantastic

But apparently plans for a cycle/pedestrian lane like on the Castleisland by pass had to be shelved due to cost over runs.

The view from the top is fantastic

But apparently plans for a cycle/pedestrian lane like on the Castleisland by pass had to be shelved due to cost over runs.

It's priced at €5m on etenders which I thought a little low for 3.5km of offline SC with 900m of climbing lane

In fairness, the old N70 will be quiet enough to host cyclists/peds

I'd imagine the Milltown bypass will have pedestrian facilities like the Castleisland one

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's priced at €5m on etenders which I thought a little low for 3.5km of offline SC with 900m of climbing lane

In fairness, the old N70 will be quiet enough to host cyclists/peds

I'd imagine the Milltown bypass will have pedestrian facilities like the Castleisland one

That's a good point actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

marno21 wrote:

Passed through here yesterday, amazing progress altogether. The roundabout at the Milltown side is 90% complete. Traffic lights are still in place but its only a matter of a week or two before the road will be open.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Anybody have further info on the N73 works?

Truckermal wrote: »
    Anybody have further info on the N73 works?
    Annakisha South realignment to start in 2019 was the last I heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Annakisha South realignment to start in 2019 was the last I heard.

Budget seems small though but if memory serves me right they bought the land years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Got a map of the preferred route for N17 Milltown realignment. Doesn't include a bypass unfortunately. Basically it runs from end of previous realignment on ballindine side all the way to community centre at edge of village

• Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Got a map of the preferred route for N17 Milltown realignment. Doesn't include a bypass unfortunately. Basically it runs from end of previous realignment on ballindine side all the way to community centre at edge of village

Is there a planned start date. looks like the 2+2 from tuam to claremorris is a long way off.

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Passed through here yesterday, amazing progress altogether. The roundabout at the Milltown side is 90% complete. Traffic lights are still in place but its only a matter of a week or two before the road will be open.
    You are right, amazing progress in the last week which is daft considering the weather we've had. The roundabout is a late addition, it wasn't in the route plans but is needed for the N70 Milltown bypass scheme anyway so good to see it going ahead.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Is there a planned start date. looks like the 2+2 from tuam to claremorris is a long way off.
    It's a pity they didn't decide to reactivate Tuam-Claremorris in 2015 and proceed with it instead of the few km south of Ballindine and now the Milltown project.

TII have stated that Tuam-Claremorris will be over capacity by 2030 anyway so it'll be needed then. This Milltown realignment is still several years away.

Driving south on the N17 it becomes noticeably busier south of Claremorris with the N60 traffic joining. I'd imagine with the M17 now and traffic still increasing given its infancy this will only increase.

To me anyway Claremorris-Tuam would be a bigger priority than 2+2 from Knock to Charlestown.

N72 Stagmount realignment now at CPO stage, hoping to start in late 2019

https://www.radiokerry.ie/hoped-works-will-take-place-dangerous-rathmore-bend-year/

Fantastic if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Driving south on the N17 it becomes noticeably busier south of Claremorris with the N60 traffic joining. I'd imagine with the M17 now and traffic still increasing given its infancy this will only increase.
    The N17 between Tuam and Milltown:

Last Friday in January (27/01) 2017: 9K (9031)
    Last Friday in January (27/01) 2019: 11K (11060)

Funnily enough this 23% increase is not (mostly) driven by an N60 volume increase, which is what I was expecting:

Last Friday in January (27/01) 2017: 6.2K (6202)
    Last Friday in January (27/01) 2019: 6.6K (6639)

which is only a 7% increase.
    To me anyway Claremorris-Tuam would be a bigger priority than 2+2 from Knock to Charlestown.
    As any regular N17 driver would tell you, the biggest priority on the road is Curry->Ballinacarrow which badly needs replacing. Unfortunately, we're a long way from that it seems.

serfboard wrote: »
    The N17 between Tuam and Milltown:

Last Friday in January (27/01) 2017: 9K (9031)
    Last Friday in January (27/01) 2019: 11K (11060)

Funnily enough this 23% increase is not (mostly) driven by an N60 volume increase, which is what I was expecting:

Last Friday in January (27/01) 2017: 6.2K (6202)
    Last Friday in January (27/01) 2019: 6.6K (6639)

which is only a 7% increase.

It must be general N17 traffic growth caused by the motorway opening in that case.

There is a large difference on a SC between 9K and 11K though. It gets noticeably busy at that volume.
    As any regular N17 driver would tell you, the biggest priority on the road is Curry->Ballinacarrow which badly needs replacing. Unfortunately, we're a long way from that it seems.

I fully agree. I was just surprised that they are going Knock-Collooney rather than Charlestown-Collooney. Knock-Charlestown seems reasonably ok to me but I suppose it is quite a short stretch.

If the 55km 2+2 between Knock and Collooney gets built as one scheme it will transform the N17 though. That would be 35 minutes from the northern end of the Knock bypass to the N4 roundabout in Collooney give or take.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

That would be 35 minutes from the northern end of the Knock bypass to the N4 roundabout in Collooney give or take.
    Just dreaming a little here ...

Colloney->Knock 35 minutes according to your estimate.
    Knock->Tuam is 25 minutes.
    Tuam->Doughiska (Galway City outskirts) is 25 minutes.
    Tuam->Limerick is one hour.

So, that would mean

Collooney->Galway in under an hour and a half.
    Collooney->Limerick in two hours.

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »
    Just dreaming a little here ...

Colloney->Knock 35 minutes according to your estimate.
    Knock->Tuam is 25 minutes.
    Tuam->Doughiska (Galway City outskirts) is 25 minutes.
    Tuam->Limerick is one hour.

So, that would mean

Collooney->Galway in under an hour and a half.
    Collooney->Limerick in two hours.

Indeed.

If the other planned NDP schemes get built on a similar timescale you might see a shift in traffic to the N17 from Midlands or via Dublin routes too increasing traffic and slowing down the Knock-Tuam section.

If the 90kms of N24 dualling and M20 are both built I can see the N17 becoming the dominant N/S route as no similar upgrades are planned for the Midlands routes

Advertisement