Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minor schemes & realignments

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

marno21 wrote: »
    Annakisha South realignment to start in 2019 was the last I heard.

Budget seems small though but if memory serves me right they bought the land years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Got a map of the preferred route for N17 Milltown realignment. Doesn't include a bypass unfortunately. Basically it runs from end of previous realignment on ballindine side all the way to community centre at edge of village

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Got a map of the preferred route for N17 Milltown realignment. Doesn't include a bypass unfortunately. Basically it runs from end of previous realignment on ballindine side all the way to community centre at edge of village

Is there a planned start date. looks like the 2+2 from tuam to claremorris is a long way off.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Passed through here yesterday, amazing progress altogether. The roundabout at the Milltown side is 90% complete. Traffic lights are still in place but its only a matter of a week or two before the road will be open.
    You are right, amazing progress in the last week which is daft considering the weather we've had. The roundabout is a late addition, it wasn't in the route plans but is needed for the N70 Milltown bypass scheme anyway so good to see it going ahead.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

irishgeo wrote: »
    Is there a planned start date. looks like the 2+2 from tuam to claremorris is a long way off.
    It's a pity they didn't decide to reactivate Tuam-Claremorris in 2015 and proceed with it instead of the few km south of Ballindine and now the Milltown project.

TII have stated that Tuam-Claremorris will be over capacity by 2030 anyway so it'll be needed then. This Milltown realignment is still several years away.

Driving south on the N17 it becomes noticeably busier south of Claremorris with the N60 traffic joining. I'd imagine with the M17 now and traffic still increasing given its infancy this will only increase.

To me anyway Claremorris-Tuam would be a bigger priority than 2+2 from Knock to Charlestown.

N72 Stagmount realignment now at CPO stage, hoping to start in late 2019

https://www.radiokerry.ie/hoped-works-will-take-place-dangerous-rathmore-bend-year/

Fantastic if it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭serfboard

Driving south on the N17 it becomes noticeably busier south of Claremorris with the N60 traffic joining. I'd imagine with the M17 now and traffic still increasing given its infancy this will only increase.
    The N17 between Tuam and Milltown:

Last Friday in January (27/01) 2017: 9K (9031)
    Last Friday in January (27/01) 2019: 11K (11060)

Funnily enough this 23% increase is not (mostly) driven by an N60 volume increase, which is what I was expecting:

Last Friday in January (27/01) 2017: 6.2K (6202)
    Last Friday in January (27/01) 2019: 6.6K (6639)

which is only a 7% increase.
    To me anyway Claremorris-Tuam would be a bigger priority than 2+2 from Knock to Charlestown.
    As any regular N17 driver would tell you, the biggest priority on the road is Curry->Ballinacarrow which badly needs replacing. Unfortunately, we're a long way from that it seems.

serfboard wrote: »
    The N17 between Tuam and Milltown:

Last Friday in January (27/01) 2017: 9K (9031)
    Last Friday in January (27/01) 2019: 11K (11060)

Funnily enough this 23% increase is not (mostly) driven by an N60 volume increase, which is what I was expecting:

Last Friday in January (27/01) 2017: 6.2K (6202)
    Last Friday in January (27/01) 2019: 6.6K (6639)

which is only a 7% increase.

It must be general N17 traffic growth caused by the motorway opening in that case.

There is a large difference on a SC between 9K and 11K though. It gets noticeably busy at that volume.
    As any regular N17 driver would tell you, the biggest priority on the road is Curry->Ballinacarrow which badly needs replacing. Unfortunately, we're a long way from that it seems.

I fully agree. I was just surprised that they are going Knock-Collooney rather than Charlestown-Collooney. Knock-Charlestown seems reasonably ok to me but I suppose it is quite a short stretch.

If the 55km 2+2 between Knock and Collooney gets built as one scheme it will transform the N17 though. That would be 35 minutes from the northern end of the Knock bypass to the N4 roundabout in Collooney give or take.

That would be 35 minutes from the northern end of the Knock bypass to the N4 roundabout in Collooney give or take.
    Just dreaming a little here ...

Colloney->Knock 35 minutes according to your estimate.
    Knock->Tuam is 25 minutes.
    Tuam->Doughiska (Galway City outskirts) is 25 minutes.
    Tuam->Limerick is one hour.

So, that would mean

Collooney->Galway in under an hour and a half.
    Collooney->Limerick in two hours.

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »
    Just dreaming a little here ...

Colloney->Knock 35 minutes according to your estimate.
    Knock->Tuam is 25 minutes.
    Tuam->Doughiska (Galway City outskirts) is 25 minutes.
    Tuam->Limerick is one hour.

So, that would mean

Collooney->Galway in under an hour and a half.
    Collooney->Limerick in two hours.

Indeed.

If the other planned NDP schemes get built on a similar timescale you might see a shift in traffic to the N17 from Midlands or via Dublin routes too increasing traffic and slowing down the Knock-Tuam section.

If the 90kms of N24 dualling and M20 are both built I can see the N17 becoming the dominant N/S route as no similar upgrades are planned for the Midlands routes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭roadmaster

An article below from the meath chronicle about proposed new link road between dunshauglin and the M3

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/02/22/4169865-moves-underway-to-build-link-road-from-dublin-side-of-dunshaughlin-to-m3/

N70 Kilderry bends finishing up now, the roundabout on the Milltown side is open and the new road up the hill is now lined.

Just the Killorglin side tie in to complete - which won't be a massive job

The new road looks fantastic - seeing the current joke of a road signed as L7704 Kilderry is superb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Anyone who commutes to Letterkenny from the Kilmacrennan side will be delighted to hear the realignment on the N56 set to open next month
    Upgrade works at Kilmacrenan are said to be on course to finish ahead of schedule.

Minister Joe McHugh says the €19 million works on the N56 along the Blue Banks has been a big success for the county and its hoped works will be complete by Easter.

http://www.highlandradio.com/2019/03/07/upgrade-works-at-kilmacrenan-set-to-finish-ahead-of-schedule/

Going to be a huge improvement on the old twisty alignment

Donegal-County-Council-roads-3.jpg?fit=800%2C470

image001-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

N70 Kilderry bends finishing up now, the roundabout on the Milltown side is open and the new road up the hill is now lined.

Just the Killorglin side tie in to complete - which won't be a massive job

The new road looks fantastic - seeing the current joke of a road signed as L7704 Kilderry is superb

This is will be open today or Monday.

Access to Callinffercy will be via the old road until they finish the tie in at Kennedy's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Great news, they were washing the new road with tankers when I passed yesterday.
    Fantastic looking piece of road, looking forward to the views from the top of the climbing lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Kildare County Council have made an announcement regarding their upcoming decision to proceed with the Naas inner relief road
    http://www.kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/PressReleasesAdverts/NaasInnerReliefRoad.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Part 8 for the relief road can be found here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,579 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Leaving Naas with the least joined up ringroad possible - the existing arcs meet the Limerick Road in different places already!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

L1011 wrote: »
    Leaving Naas with the least joined up ringroad possible - the existing arcs meet the Limerick Road in different places already!

It really is quite maddening to drive around, especially with this section I don't know why they didn't hold a corridor from development...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

Is this in partnership with the racecourse or will this be a land acquisition? I presume it will increase the access to the racecourse so maybe they are onboard with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Access to Callinffercy will be via the old road until they finish the tie in at Kennedy's.

Opened this morning

• Advertisement

Opened this morning
    Fantastic. Looking forward to test driving it.

Great news, they were washing the new road with tankers when I passed yesterday.
    Fantastic looking piece of road, looking forward to the views from the top of the climbing lane.

Open now as per post above. It really is a fantastic road. The views from the top on both sides are absolutely stunning, especially southbound towards Killorglin.

Superb job by Sorensen. There really is no comparison with the existing road.

Roll on the next N70 improvement now which is the Milltown bypass - hopefully the longer route option is picked which also removes some of the twisty mess towards Castlemaine.

Latest from Clare:

N85 Kilnamona Realignment Scheme – Ground Investigation works commenced on site last week, the outcome of which will inform the detailed design. This work is continuing and it is hoped to be in a position to brief the Ennis MD Councillors and the affected landowners later this month on the detail of the final route within the safeguard corridor.

N19 Shannon Airport Access Road – The Steering Group, comprising of CCC, TII and the Midwest Regional Design Office (MWRDO), met last week where we were advised that approval was imminent for the appointment of Consultants for Phases 1 – 4. This allows us now to seek tenders for this work over the coming weeks and have Consultants appointed in May 2019.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

N19 Shannon Airport Access Road – The Steering Group, comprising of CCC, TII and the Midwest Regional Design Office (MWRDO), met last week where we were advised that approval was imminent for the appointment of Consultants for Phases 1 – 4. This allows us now to seek tenders for this work over the coming weeks and have Consultants appointed in May 2019.

What changes are they making to the N19?

spacetweek wrote: »
    What changes are they making to the N19?
    I believe it's upgrading the N19 from the end of the current DC to the airport entrance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Can't find a thread specifically for it so i said I'd put it in here.

Has anyone any idea why work in the N59 at Kilmeena has been at a standstill the last few weeks?

All machinery from the original contractor is gone off site. There seems to be a couple of machines from Careys moved in now, working on tidying up the realigned greenway more than anything I'd say. Which it looks like has to bw donw before they can continue with the road works on that section.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The n63 at athleauge co roscommon it's finally getting a new surface and footpaths
    ZrBGp5y.jpg

N70 Kilderry bends now fully open to traffic, including the Callinafercy junction.

The new scheme has been updated on Google maps for anyone who wants to see the new alignment. Type in "Kilderry" and it should come up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭yannakis

N70 Kilderry bends now fully open to traffic, including the Callinafercy junction.

The new scheme has been updated on Google maps for anyone who wants to see the new alignment. Type in "Kilderry" and it should come up

Is the alignment of the tie-ins on Google Maps correct or is there a roundabout on the north end of the new stretch?

Interesting that the N60 Manulla scheme will be Type 1, as the Lagnamuck upgrade which it will link to, and is currently u/c, is only Type 2.

Bit sloppy as a consistent cross section is generally preferred by the RDOs and ABP inspectors.

No consistency at all on the N60 actually - Oran realignment and Manulla type 1, Lagnamuck and approved Heathlawn schemes type 2.

It's certainly not based on traffic figures as far as I can tell, it's probably just bad planning. What do you think Marno?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Does it really matter? Both single carriageways.

Interesting that the N60 Manulla scheme will be Type 1, as the Lagnamuck upgrade which it will link to, and is currently u/c, is only Type 2.

Bit sloppy as a consistent cross section is generally preferred by the RDOs and ABP inspectors.

No consistency at all on the N60 actually - Oran realignment and Manulla type 1, Lagnamuck and approved Heathlawn schemes type 2.

It's certainly not based on traffic figures as far as I can tell, it's probably just bad planning. What do you think Marno?
    I think the N60 Castlebar-Claremorris scheme should have been progressed rather than these realignments. The route was selected in 2001, and now looks like it will never be built: http://www.regdesign.com/?page_id=455

The way they are proceeding with the N60 now will be an improvement but you still have all the safety issues associated with junctions, accesses etc.

But yes, they should have picked one cross section for the route and built it that way.

I think the N60 Castlebar-Claremorris scheme should have been progressed rather than these realignments. The route was selected in 2001, and now looks like it will never be built: http://www.regdesign.com/?page_id=455

The way they are proceeding with the N60 now will be an improvement but you still have all the safety issues associated with junctions, accesses etc.

But yes, they should have picked one cross section for the route and built it that way.

Agreed. On the upside it now seems the Manulla scheme will be grade separated, which sets it apart from the other minor realignment jobs discussed in this thread. Good news :)

Sligo County Council recently sent the N16 Lugatober (2.5km) to An Bord Pleanala

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/news/plan-to-remove-bad-bends-on-n16-37826812.html

• Advertisement

The N60 Heathlawn realignment won't now go to tender until Q1 2020, a year later than originally planned. This means they probably won't be on site until second half of next year.

The N60 Heathlawn realignment won't now go to tender until Q1 2020, a year later than originally planned. This means they probably won't be on site until second half of next year.
    I can see a good few of these types of schemes being built over the next few years given the lack of shovel ready major projects.

Especially in areas where the RDO aren't too busy with majors.

Sligo County Council recently sent the N16 Lugatober (2.5km) to An Bord Pleanala
    Tender out for advance works on the N16 Drummahan realignment in Leitrim
    Anything, no matter how small, that will improve on the torturous journey between Enniskillen and Sligo is to be welcomed.

Article on the official opening of the new N70 between Killorglin and Milltown

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/news/official-adieu-to-kilderry-bends-38066664.html

More of these please. An absolutely stellar scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

marno21 wrote:
    More of these please. An absolutely stellar scheme.

Have to agree, one of the tidiest schemes I've seen in a long time.

It's a pity TII scrapped the climbing lane heading towards Killorglin, hence the wide lanes and yellow hatching on one side. It was designed and built for a climbing lane and then lined out as single carriageway.

The roundabout was also an afterthought, to allow for the bypass to head out behind the graveyard.

• Advertisement

Have to agree, one of the tidiest schemes I've seen in a long time.

It's a pity TII scrapped the climbing lane heading towards Killorglin, hence the wide lanes and yellow hatching on one side. It was designed and built for a climbing lane and then lined out as single carriageway.

The roundabout was also an afterthought, to allow for the bypass to head out behind the graveyard.

Indeed. There's quite a lot of spare tarmac on the Milltown side. Not sure why the climbing lane was scrapped it would have been quite useful.

The roundabout appears to be a very late addition. Even the satellite Google imagery where the tarmac is down on the new alignment the junction at Milltown looks set up for a staggered junction rather than a roundabout. In fairness though the route for the Milltown bypass is quite recent but it does knock a few euros off the cost of the Milltown bypass and saves further road works.

Roll on the Milltown bypass, preferably the longer route that avoids more of the awful alignment between Castlemaine and Milltown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

road_high wrote: »
    From that page:
    Included in the road construction will be all the necessary services required for the future development of the area ... Proposals for the area include the provision of over 3000 new houses and two new secondary schools.
    Holy God - that's a lot of development.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/news/plan-to-remove-bad-bends-on-n16-37826812.html
    Oral hearing on this on May 22nd in Sligo.

http://www.pleanala.ie/news/Oral%20Hearings/308833-303731OHAgenda.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

With a general election on the cards, surely there is a gap in the market for some party to step up and propose to deliver some crucial small schemes such as the Thurles Bypass, Athy relief road, Tipp town Bypass etc. to counteract the major pubic transport projects that will be required in the cities.
    If the likes of FF had their heads screwed on, they could make serious ground on this quite easily as these are projects which are in the overall scheme of things are seriously cheap but would attract decent public support

• Advertisement
Advertisement