Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

No, it's looking really, really promising. It's just that there's some kind of silent protest going on.

[IMG][/img]ECM0-240_pzj4.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I'd be happy enough to see a cold clear dry spell but that white stuff can fook right off

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

The Siberian Snow Bomb is coming...………….:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

How much further down the road can this SW event be pushed? It's coming to mid January and no sign of any major changes out to end of next week. Flogging a dead horse at this stage.

SSW effects can take from a few days to a few weeks to propogate. They don't always of course. The warming is still very much ongoing at 10hPa.

This is an unusual event and the models do not deal with it well. Expect them to continue to struggle.

It also can turn snowy and cold as a result of other patterns, not just SSW.

In any event the trends on almost all models now are to cooler if not downright cold, and I would not be at all surprised (>50% chance) to see them get much more dramatic towards the middle of next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

gabeeg wrote: »
    No, it's looking really, really promising. It's just that there's some kind of silent protest going on.

[IMG][/img]ECM0-240_pzj4.GIF

They can’t type because they are biting their nails 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭giveitholly

How much further down the road can this SW event be pushed? It's coming to mid January and no sign of any major changes out to end of next week. Flogging a dead horse at this stage.

You sound like an half empty glass type of person,loads of potential in the charts,just need to have a bit of patience

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I reckon many people are frustrated from the model watching over the past 2 weeks, the charts are changing their minds every few hours back and forth and no all round agreement to what will happen after January 17th.

Only when all the models start singing from the same hymn sheet and if they start showing reliable and positive progress towards a cold and blocked solution, then the response will be far greater than it is at the moment.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I reckon many people are frustrated from the model watching over the past 2 weeks, the charts are changing their minds every few hours back and forth and no all round agreement to what will happen after January 17th.

Only when all the models start singing from the same hymn sheet and if they start showing reliable and positive progress towards a cold and blocked solution, then the response will be far greater than it is at the moment.

I get that, and I'm sorry for all the whining.

I just feel like we're all at Funderland - I wanna go on the rollercoaster, but I can't get them off the carousel

145 online right now and barely a chart being posted

I'm one of the few contributing, and frankly I'm not up to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

In reference back to my long post on December 21st, I said this would be about the last week for models to be useless on where we will go from mid-January onwards. I do not have the greatest thoughts on there being much hope for snowbies on the horizon away from the usual uphill regions in the northwest. Although, I am craving some sunshine more than anything right now so with the cold zonality that is probable right now, that will likely occur more here than many of the past weeks.

Felt so strongly about last year due to all the teleconnections strongly correlating with one another, we do not have that this time, it's all very conflicting!

I am more than happy to be proven wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭pad199207

I think it’s nice, a sanctuary from all the chaos and tomfoolery over in the UK forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

pad199207 wrote: »
    I think it’s nice, a sanctuary from all the chaos and tomfoolery over in the UK forums.

A lot of the time it reads like an AI attempt at a forum. Cliches and nonsense being spouted non stop.

Hope this helps. Each run becoming colder and colder and colder.....

2r56pom.png

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

MidMan25 wrote: »
    A lot of the time it reads like an AI attempt at a forum. Cliches and nonsense being spouted non stop.

Why do so many on here constantly go on that site if its so bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Why do so many on here constantly go on that site if its so bad?

There are some really knowledgeable posters on there. MT often posts and usually in a lot more detail than he does here.

Hope this helps. Each run becoming colder and colder and colder.....

2r56pom.png

Every little helps :)

Only 6 days away

There are some really knowledgeable posters on there. MT often posts and usually in a lot more detail than he does here.

Yep. And MT is quite clearly excited by the potential we're seeing

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Liffey4A

Can someone check on Kermit? 😉
    He's usually the one who beckons in the snowfest model watching!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

Liffey4A wrote: »
    Can someone check on Kermit? ��
    He's usually the one who beckons in the snowfest model watching!

I think he's still banned!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

That can be a annoying, sometimes it feels like we're not as intelligence as netweather posters especially when it's a really in depth post on netweather and a watered down version here.
    Mt is more of a ramper over there

• Advertisement

I think he's still banned!

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

He's alive and well over on netweather under the user name The eagle

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/profile/3922-the-eagle/

You can follow his posts there if you want from that profile page

I think the lack of comment is down to the fact that the cold forecast is still FI, no real details yet.

Give it 3 days and with Kermit de Frog back the place will be hopping;)

Jean Byrne will be on Sunday's 9 O'Clock news saying 'By Thursday and towards the weekend it will become PROGRESSIVELY colder, infact quite wintry at times, but stay in touch with our forecasts as detail evolves'.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    He's alive and well over on netweather under the user name The eagle

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/profile/3922-the-eagle/

You can follow his posts there if you want from that profile page

The Eagle:D Fair play..we know where he got that... Kinda ironic in that the eagle is a predator of..the frog:eek:

?

He got a ban on some other forum..something trivial like a computer games thread..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,845 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Lamppost Watching Season soon :D

Incoming Cold Blast. Nice.

2md17l.jpg

But where is this Atlantic low going to go...……….

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=703613

Yes..see the link above.. Kermit has hopped over to the other side :)

He got a ban on some other forum..something trivial like a computer games thread..

Makes sense

Computer games are almost as divisive as the weather

• Advertisement

amuoph.png

Advertisement