Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

All we need is these lows going south a little further with the jet. :)

a288lu.jpg

27xh5pf.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think things will cool, but a cool zonal outlook seems to be the overall trend for next few weeks once the high pressure moves away in the next few days. I think we may have to wait till February for any chance of a decent cold spell but we shall wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Those lows wouldn't go south without a strong Atlantic ridge
    They'd slam into us

There's a big disconnect in signals at the moment
    The lobe of pv in Canada modelled,would fire up the Atlantic too in the absence of blocking
    We've no option but to wait untill mid next week at the earliest before taking better guesses in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

YanSno wrote: »
    It's too early to write off this winter. I remember the ssw we had in January 2009 it was a very long winter and we had cold weather on and off until late march. That's when i started to have interest in global weather cycles am not saying it will be like 2009 winter but signals are there for that type of climate, on and off westerly / North westerly with occasional Easterly depending if the LP tracks south

If we are going to have snow, lets have in January or February when its cold and you'd expect it to be cold.
    Having a nice Spring is the best feeling of the year for me when it comes to the Weather. Their is nothing better than knowing Winter is over and the bright nights are returning.
    Last years Winter went straight into Summer in May.
    Nice Sunny spring days around St Patricks day are amazing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

If we are going to have snow, lets have in January or February when its cold and you'd expect it to be cold.
    Having a nice Spring is the best feeling of the year for me when it comes to the Weather. Their is nothing better than knowing Winter is over and the bright nights are returning.
    Last years Winter went straight into Summer in May.
    Nice Sunny spring days around St Patricks day are amazing.

I would love this too, deep cold spells over the next few weeks then a warming more Spring like climate from March. Unfortunately this rarely ever works out like this for us, our main problem is getting the Atlantic to shut down at the right times and often it does not.

Right now we are all hoping for what you want, but the models are clearly struggling and the Atlantic currently has a few factors that are keeping it going for next few weeks. We will get a cold spell at some point and blocking most likely will happen, but how soon will this happen is anybody's guess.

This could be another case of a very late winter, a bit like last year. I have a suspicious feeling that this March will be anything but spring like, but we shall see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

The GFS para/FV3 is again suggestive of snow opportunities from January 21st onward. Very cold low pressure systems displaced from polar area over us. So likely to be a lot of precipitation

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

Fairly confident we'll see at least 1 or 2 disruptive cold spells soon enough. Hopefully charts will get a lot more juicy in another week or so. I've even gone and purchased snow socks. :-) The last year delivered many extremes and just have a feeling this cold spell is right around the corner. Wouldn't lose hope yet if you're a cold lover. The turning point was never going to be before around the 20th of Jan and even then it could be a few days after that..

My few cents worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Fairly confident we'll see at least 1 or 2 disruptive cold spells soon enough. Hopefully charts will get a lot more juicy in another week or so. I've even gone and purchased snow socks. :-) The last year delivered many extremes and just have a feeling this cold spell is right around the corner. Wouldn't lose hope yet if you're a cold lover. The turning point was never going to be before around the 20th of Jan and even then it could be a few days after that..

My few cents worth.

I have a four wheel drive with snow tyres on since November, I was beginning to wonder did I jinx it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 36,243 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Kamili wrote: »
    Theres nothing there really to say a large snow event though, just that its getting colder...

Sit tight and see what happens.

Getting colder and fresher would be an excellent place to start. I'm sick to the teeth of our current weather pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Icon looking really good.

That early northerly almost makes it again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Fairly confident we'll see at least 1 or 2 disruptive cold spells soon enough. Hopefully charts will get a lot more juicy in another week or so. I've even gone and purchased snow socks. :-) The last year delivered many extremes and just have a feeling this cold spell is right around the corner. Wouldn't lose hope yet if you're a cold lover. The turning point was never going to be before around the 20th of Jan and even then it could be a few days after that.
    My few cents worth.

Lol I couldn’t agree more and I too have bought thermal socks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Getting colder and fresher would be an excellent place to start. I'm sick to the teeth of our current weather pattern.

This really, I love snow but cold weather is what I really want. Holidays in Canada next week, highs of -15, lows of -20 forecast :D not particularly bothered if it snows or how much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Villain wrote: »
    I have a four wheel drive with snow tyres on since November, I was beginning to wonder did I jinx it :p

I bought an AWD in December too and was wondering the very same.

I'm dying to give it a spin in the snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Pops_20

I have RWD with zero driver aids and I also can't wait to give it a spin in the snow :D

Pops_20 wrote: »
    I have RWD with zero driver aids and I also can't wait to give it a spin in the snow :D

I kinda want to be there..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Not sure if this got posted earlier? Only 6 days away! Will be gone on the 12z run no doubt!

image.jpeg.24fd53fae7644669a6986412dbebcf0f.jpeg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

Me too, and it's got a V8 : ). I was given an old Ford Focus 1.8TD estate for a month while working in Austria. It snowed most days for my time there. The roads were especially bad at night when they stopped ploughing. The car was fitted with a set of standard winter tyres, no studs, and it was pretty much unstoppable. Late one night I had to reverse out of a mountain road as the depth of snow the front bumper was pushing finally got too much. On another occasion I had to dig hard packed snow out from under it. And there was the evening it passed me while I was walking across a pedestrian crossing (I'd parked it on a sheet of ice and it slowly slid away with the front and rear wheels locked! But I drove it hundreds of miles, usually on back roads, some very hilly, and never left me stranded.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

On the the topic of tyres and snow, have a look at the difference winter tyres can make in these videos.

Very often people think AWD or 4WD is the answer but you might be surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Actually the 12z UKMO is also suggesting the first white stuff of the season might only be 6 days away.....

1951704610_UN144-21(1).gif.89e72aabb5f55fa965d5094a3006aa9c.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Me too :D

HCNExUt.jpg

• Advertisement

Me too :D

HCNExUt.jpg

I had one of them, got stuck on one of the off ramps on the M50 in the snow one year cos of the stop start traffic! Had to wait till it cleared, rolled back down and gunned it up, fishtailed around the bend at the top and got her home.

I miss that car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Stock up on bread

How cold will it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It is so utterly lovely here now. A deep, calm stillness and silence. More than the absence of wind. The ocean is a mirror. Incredibly beautiful. West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Stock up on bread

Funny!

Actually coincidentally I just did! My groceries come over from the mainland once in 2 weeks... And plenty of flour in stock.https://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/icons/icon2.png

Met Eireann definitely hinting at a return to more unsettled conditions starting from tomorrow night with rain spreading southeastwards overnight.

They are going for spells of light rain and drizzle for much of the day over the northern half of the country on Saturday.

Breezy with showery rain on Sunday. We may escape on Monday with a dry day overall and then more rain next Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Not sure if this got posted earlier? Only 6 days away! Will be gone on the 12z run no doubt!

Could it not come a little further north-west though?? 🙏🙏

Kamili wrote: »

How cold will it be?

he's definitely hinting at the possibilities of a very cold February with second half of January more of a transition period from the current mild conditions to below average temperatures by February.

It seems we have a fairly mild week coming up then the cooling trend may begin as early as next Thursday or Friday.

Still so much to play for, it's just frustrating that the blocking hasn't really shown up in the models in the short to medium range, so the wait continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

How much further down the road can this SW event be pushed? It's coming to mid January and no sign of any major changes out to end of next week. Flogging a dead horse at this stage.

Advertisement