Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

6GB vram on a 2019 card that costs $349? Seriously.

Also, Nvidia is finally caving in & allowing FreeSync VESA Adaptive Sync on their cards.
    https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2019/01/06/g-sync-displays-ces/

Officially, only 12 out of 400 monitors are "certified".
    However they'll allow you to enable it in the control panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Also, Nvidia is finally caving in & allowing FreeSync VESA Adaptive Sync on their cards.
    https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2019/01/06/g-sync-displays-ces/

Officially, only 12 out of 400 monitors are "certified".
    However they'll allow you to enable it in the control panel.

does that mean that it should allowed to be technically enabled on any freesync monitor?

does that mean that it should allowed to be technically enabled on any freesync monitor?

Yes, gonna try it out myself once the driver is out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

An upcoming driver update will allow the option to try and see if it works. Nvidia claims the untested monitors could work 100%, semi work or not work at all but I reckon there's a huge amount of them trying to save face by claiming its harder than it really is to justify the extra expense of G-sync.

RTX 2060 review embargo has been lifted (didn't even know there was one!)

Anandtech

Gamers Nexus

Linus Tech Tips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

6GB vram on a 2019 card that costs $349? Seriously.

It looks like there will be 4GB and even 3GB models so loads of choice! :D

https://videocardz.com/79452/gigabyte-submits-geforce-rtx-2060-6gb-4gb-and-3gb-variants-to-eec

Has take-up of RTX cards been very low on here? Usually this forums has many enthusiasts that buy the latest cards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

So what benefit would there be spending hundreds more for a gsync monitor vs a confirmed freesync that's working with gsync?

BArra wrote: »
    So what benefit would there be spending hundreds more for a gsync monitor vs a confirmed freesync that's working with gsync?

I don't think there really is any. I see this as a sign that free sync is winning the battle to have monitor and tv vendors support it. (due to price)
    This is a move by Nvidia to prevent people picking AMD cards over Nvidia because new monitors are more likely to have freesync.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Perceptible, none.

Its more then likely going to work on any freesync monitor, the "testing" and confirmed list is probably a placeholder to try appease the manufacturers they have pissed off.

My understanding is G-sync works from a lower fps range of 30fps and up, where Freesync works from 48fps upwards with Freesync 1 and 40fps upwards with Freesync 2.

tuxy wrote: »
    It looks like there will be 4GB and even 3GB models so loads of choice! :D

https://videocardz.com/79452/gigabyte-submits-geforce-rtx-2060-6gb-4gb-and-3gb-variants-to-eec

Has take-up of RTX cards been very low on here? Usually this forums has many enthusiasts that buy the latest cards

That is utterly insane. The 3GB version of the GTX1060 is crippled as it is at high resolution/settings due to the lack of vram.

An RTX2060 - twice as fast - with 3GB vram will effectively become useless and defeat the purpose of the card in the first place.

You might as well produce a GTX1050Ti with 11GB memory!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I am confused....is the 2060 good or bad, youtube cant make up its mind???

In itself it's grand, but it's a $350 XX60 card which is bad enough, but to nerf it with 6GB (probably a calculated decision to ensure higher price of 2070 is sustainable) is criminal.

And if rumors that they're releasing 3 and 4GB versions are true....just beggars belief. It would be like releasing a 2GB RX580.

I am confused....is the 2060 good or bad, youtube cant make up its mind???

It's decent, but it's a shítty price point for a *60 card.

And if you bought a GTX 1070 (released June 2016) or GTX 980 Ti (June 2015) you still don't have a compelling reason to upgrade.

It's decent, but it's a shítty price point for a *60 card.

And if you bought a GTX 1070 (released June 2016) or GTX 980 Ti (June 2015) you still don't have a compelling reason to upgrade.

Exactly, it's made me feel very happy about the 1070 I got at launch. I don't play BF5 or Final Fantasy XV so buy a 2060 makes no sense.

Has the patching of older titles with RTX features been abandoned now?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

tuxy wrote: »
    Has the patching of older titles with RTX features been abandoned now?

You will see a trickle of games over the next 2 or 3 years using RTX features.

What's super strange is Tomb Raider not getting an RTX patch despite being one of the showcase games.

They showed their demo in August. 4 whole months ago!

You will see a trickle of games over the next 2 or 3 years using RTX features.

Yes but what about the releases from 2018 and before that are listed as having RTX and DLSS features in the future? Will these be patched or will it only be new games? I can see many of these games being obsolete by the time they get the features, if they ever do.
    Getting DLSS support for games on the list seems to be particularly challenging.
    How many months do they usually take Nvidia to do their side of things on the Saturn V cluster?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Jayz2cents is saying it bests a 1070ti but costs 100 usd less, others are saying its bad value. What is it replacing? Agreed that 6gb VRAM is poxy.

its bad value because like the rest of the rtx cards nvidia have just decided to up the price on the entire stack of gpu's for no reason other than greed! the 2060 in in itself is a great little card but now its priced close to what the 1070 was on release, its so fecking transparent at this stage.

Jayz2cents is saying it bests a 1070ti but costs 100 usd less, others are saying its bad value. What is it replacing? Agreed that 6gb VRAM is poxy.

The performance over the 10 series is nothing special and in line with what we've seen between card generations before, so a 2060 matching a 1070 is nothing to write home about. The 6gb vram is pretty crappy considering the price of the card which is almost 100 quid above the previous generations price and that's for the founder edition so expect the 3rd party cards to cost more.

• GTX 660 - $230
    • GTX 760 - $250
    • GTX 960 2Gb - $200
    • GTX 1060 6Gb - $250
    • RTX 2060 6Gb GDDR6 - $350

C'mon AMD you know what to do.

• GTX 660 - $230
    • GTX 760 - $250
    • GTX 960 2Gb - $200
    • GTX 1060 6Gb - $250
    • RTX 2060 6Gb GDDR6 - $350

C'mon AMD you know what to do.

If the rumoured GTX 1160 comes in at $250ish but keeps the game performance of the 2060, just without the RTX bells and whistles, it could be a cracking little card.

Venom wrote: »
    If the rumoured GTX 1160 comes in at $250ish but keeps the game performance of the 2060, just without the RTX bells and whistles, it could be a cracking little card.

i see a big problem with the 1160 rumors tbh, why would nvidia do it? no one at all would buy a 2060 over it, ray tracing might be fantastic and all but a 2060 is never going to be much good at it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

i see a big problem with the 1160 rumors tbh, why would nvidia do it? no one at all would buy a 2060 over it, ray tracing might be fantastic and all but a 2060 is never going to be much good at it

Maybe it's a plan B depending on whaever AMD have lined up tomorrow? There's a baffling amount of choice and variants in the mid-range. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,423 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Probably somewhere better to put it but Nvidia just announced they will start supporting freesync monitors.
    Packs and Turing gpus Will shortly get a new driver which allows support for free sync or Gsync on freesync monitors.
    Great news and a good time to upgrade my monitor :)

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/283261-nvidia-admits-defeat-will-support-g-sync-on-freesync-displays

Nvidia launched multiple versions of the 1060 card with different amounts of ram and ram speeds, with some of the versions performing worse than the 1050 card. There is also the fact that uptake of RTX cards is nowhere close to the levels of the 10 series GPU's, so I don't think it's inconceivable that we might see GTX 1160, 1170 and 1180 cards along with Ti versions, later in the year especially if AMD have anything decent GPU wise coming out this year.

• Advertisement

Will this game be the first to support both RTX and DLSS? Exciting times!

Advertisement