Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

fitzgeme - I'm hoping to log on here on Christmas morning to see photos of your two new Titan RTX cards in SLI!

Don't disappoint me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

titan RTX......

xmulu1f6urt11.jpg

little t or big T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

:D

y6Kl8IY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,927 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

:D

y6Kl8IY.jpg

He'll be laughing away when he see the jealousy on all our faces reflected in Pikachus eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

fitzgeme - I'm hoping to log on here on Christmas morning to see photos of your two new Titan RTX cards in SLI!

Don't disappoint me!!

To be fair now, much as I'd assumed the same, the lad's said he's not the Titan's target market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I am still super suspicious about the "leak" of the titan cards, I feel it maybe is a stunt of some kind..... dont know.

I never bought a titan before because even for me the value is not there and the gains are within overclocking on the X080ti cards mostly.

I dont get the pickachu meme thing, its all over the place at the moment and I still dont understand,

rtx-off-rtx-on-rtx-on-off-pikachu-edition-37670564.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Good news:
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/battlefield-v-december-4-dxr-update/
    Specifically, GeForce RTX 2080 Ti users will now be able to play at over 60 FPS at 2560x1440 with DXR Raytraced Reflections set to Ultra.

GeForce RTX 2080 users will be able to play at over 60 FPS at 2560x1440 with Medium DXR Raytraced Reflections.

And GeForce RTX 2070 users will be able to play at over 60 FPS at 1920x1080 with Medium DXR Raytraced Reflections.

Bad news:
    Titan RTX costs $2,499

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

That sort of good news has no place round here :pac:

Not as bad as I would have though....interesting....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah that sort of pricing never really concerned me as it's so far north of mainstream consumer level that its irrelevant, mad to think though that people can justify an extra grand for what are probably relatively minor gains. But that's true of anything really.

I'll always remember as a broke youngster with my 7600GT looking at the 8800 Ultra with its price tag of $1,000. Interesting at that point in time as well, there weren't really anything mainstream beyond 1080p, so it's even more difficult to gauge the relative value back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The cynic in me says that because games companies dropped it, they had no choice in the matter. No point investing into something that makes no money.

So, in the cold light of day, I think it's pretty obvious to everyone at this point that Nvidia wasn't changing its card naming conventions - just doubling their price points.

Do we reckon its a bold (if ugly) strategy with a captive market, or are we expecting Navi with PCIe 4.0 and a die shrink to eat their lunch next year?

L wrote: »
    So, in the cold light of day, I think it's pretty obvious to everyone at this point that Nvidia wasn't changing its card naming conventions - just doubling their price points.

Do we reckon its a bold (if ugly) strategy with a captive market, or are we expecting Navi with PCIe 4.0 and a die shrink to eat their lunch next year?

Jim's latest kinda makes a salient point in regards to Navi:
    AMD's 5-year roadmap wasn't as good as Nvidia's, so we'll just have to wait and see whose tech wins out.

L wrote: »

People have a lot of faith in 7nm....for no particular reason IMHO but time will tell.

As for naming you could make the point that the new titan is similar to the quadro rtx 6600 but half the price...so maybe if you take Nvidia at their word that this is aimed at professionals then its a bargain.

People have a lot of faith in 7nm....for no particular reason IMHO but time will tell.

As for naming you could make the point that the new titan is similar to the quadro rtx 6600 but half the price...so maybe if you take Nvidia at their word that this is aimed at professionals then its a bargain.

In raw hardware limitation terms, there's a lot of reason to have faith in 7nm Fitz - die shrinks increase transistor density and reduce current draw. In other words, inherently more processing power, less power consumption and less heat produced.

Whether or not the architecture is able to capitalize on it is a different question but the die shrink is a good thing.

As for Nvidia, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and Nvidia claim it's a horse, I probably wouldn't be putting a saddle on it myself. ;)

Nvidia already have a lineup for professional use - it's called the Quadro RTX. This would have that branding as well if it was really aimed at that market.

So far 7nm has given TDP improvement but no performance improvements. Who actually cares about power draw for desktop gpu's...exactly nobody. Yeild issues will abound. Cramming transistors closer together does not improve performance significantly only archecteture changes really do that....like RTX but thats bad right?

Titan is for rich gamers IMHO, if its too expensive your not rich enough to be a rich gamer. Nvidia now decide what a rich gamer is (and there is a vocal minority of people who were once rich gamers that have been priced out of the market, saltyness abounds), not the public. Nvidia now decide that the performance increases per generation are, not the public. Lot of people decided what a valid generational increased would be and when RTX did meet it they gave out, and often when it did meet expectations they changed their expectations to again validate theit anger. RTX works well, it pushes 60fps at 1080p, at UHD is you tweek settings and is playable in single player games at 4k with tweaked settings. This will improve in time.

If AMD can come along with a 7nm working class hero that great but there is not even a hint of a whiff that they are next nor near that in the gaming space.

Here is a video that demonstrates everything which I think is wrong with the media on this topic. A non issue is proved to be a non issue, but its created several videos and a 48 hour live stream all with titles designed to generate views from those that dont bother with detail but only headlines.

Will check the BF5 update this evening, god I wish it was a better game albeit very pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

That sort of good news has no place round here :pac:

Not as bad as I would have though....interesting....

Let us know how the BFV update went :D, it's out as of this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

So far 7nm has given TDP improvement but no performance improvements. Who actually cares about power draw for desktop gpu's...exactly nobody.

If that is the case, why was Vega 64 so heavily slated?

I would have thought exactly the same as you but there were many on here at the time who claimed that it was a big problem for them.

farna_boy wrote: »
    If that is the case, why was Vega 64 so heavily slated?

I would have thought exactly the same as you but there were many on here at the time who claimed that it was a big problem for them.

Vega 64 was slated because its performance was below the 15-month older GTX 1080 AND it draws more power.

Vega 64 was slated because its performance was below the 15-month older GTX 1080 AND it draws more power.

Exactly when performance improves people dont mind power draw (assuming suitable cooling) its like a car thats faster using more petrol...well thats par for the course. Vegas problem was that it was slow, and even heavily overclocked it still can only get close to a 1080ti stock. Cost a lot too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Most people are idiots though. They would buy a card that's €20 cheaper even if it means it will cost them several times that over the course of the cards life.

I just caved and bought an RTX 2080, I'll have your back soon fitz!

Shlippery wrote: »
    I just caved and bought an RTX 2080, I'll have your back soon fitz!

Don't think you will be much help to him in BF V with those frame rates ;)

tuxy wrote: »

Frame rates are pretty good now, hell even the 2070 can DXR at 1080p now...or...now wait for it....turn it off and soak up the framerates....mind blown.

tuxy wrote: »

Ah, I saw the improvements made to RTX, a diehard Battlefield fan, I've a Rift at home and have never owned a 'high-end' GPU in my life, so happy to treat myself this one time!

:pac:

Shlippery wrote: »
    Ah, I saw the improvements made to RTX, a diehard Battlefield fan, I've a Rift at home and have never owned a 'high-end' GPU in my life, so happy to treat myself this one time!

:pac:

Well if you coming from something older and lower end it will be a mighty upgrade. Lot of pipeline improvement for VR too with the new architecture and all the fancy rendering technologies. VR is one situation where very night frame rates can be make or break for a title. I remember the nausia with RawData with a 1080....You will be happy.

https://uploadvr.com/rtx-2080-performance-benchmark/

has any of the VR developer come out and speculated on what they could potentially use the tensor cores for?
    Would DLSS be good for them?

Another click bait title video, and a conclusion that somehow manages to be negative.

Tech media " there is not DXR content available RTX is pointless, we need DXR content right away"
    Dice " OK here is DRX in BF5 but performance will improve in time"
    Tech media "performance sucks"
    Dice "ok here is an update with better performance"
    Tech media "ok thats fine now but why couldn't you have waited and given us the good performance at the start"

This....He has been sick recently and content is not as good as it was but this is exactly my sentiment

• Advertisement

l524B7p.png

Am I allowed gloat yet? :pac:

This day needs to hurry up so I can go home.

Advertisement