Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were the lotto winners mad to go so public?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It's the guilt trippers they have to look out for. Folk will be turning up at the door with sick children etc. If they wanted to help their local community, they could have done so and just revealed themselves locally. Now they have a target from all the scam artists and guilt trippers.

My cover story will be that I got a job as a PA to a very wealthy businessman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭alexmalalex

Is this tax free...like seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 67,241 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It's the guilt trippers they have to look out for. Folk will be turning up at the door with sick children etc. If they wanted to help their local community, they could have done so and just revealed themselves locally. Now they have a target from all the scam artists and guilt trippers.

My cover story will be that I got a job as a PA to a very wealthy businessman.

So are all wealthy people. If the scammers are successful then maybe you shouldn't have responsibility for a lot of money.

My cover story would be - I bought boards.ie. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Is this tax free...like seriously

Yes, I don't know what the laws are in the UK, but here there's a 33% capital gains tax on gifts, so if you gave someone a million out of your winnings they only get 666k and the government takes their slice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

El_Bee wrote: »
    Yes, I don't know what the laws are in the UK, but here there's a 33% capital gains tax on gifts, so if you gave someone a million out of your winnings they only get 666k and the government takes their slice.

So how do you get around not paying tax on giving people money?
    I need to know for when I win 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Bowlardo wrote: »

Do you have to pay tax on Amazon vouchers? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 67,241 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Figure out who you are going to gift before you sign the ticket, then add them to the 'syndicate'.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Gifts aren’t taxable in the UK.

I wouldn’t tell anyone and I’d head straight to a large firm of lawyers for advice.

I’d also lodge the money outside of Ireland. Aside from clearing my mortgage and buying a few things that wouldn’t appear out of the ordinary, I’d invest the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

I didn't go public when i won it!

Then again ,it was only 50 euro ! I'll get me coat!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ah good luck to them.

Chances are they will move away eventually, and become anonymous along with their family (good advice that their advisers via Camelot will no doubt tell them to do).

Other than that, they should really just go and enjoy life. Fair dues to them for encouraging many to bet on this. Despite the odds, it does happen!

We never hear of other European mega winners do we?

The Canadian Teachers pension fund or whatever it was that bought the LOTTO.ie franchise must be ecstatic. Sure it's all just one country right ha ha. Roll up, Roll up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

They should expect a visit from some balaclava wearing people soon, given their location.

Figure out who you are going to gift before you sign the ticket, then add them to the 'syndicate'.

Good advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Tonight's numbers are: 07 11 19 27 37 (06) (10)

Would never play the 'regular' EM due to the odds of 130m/1.
    Instead play the 'hotpicks' game when in the North or at any bookie.
    https://www.national-lottery.co.uk/games/euromillions-hotpicks

Was visiting relatives today and handed them a ticket with their birthday numbers
    and just thse 2 balls has won them 100 quid (tonight).

5 balls is the best, 1m for odds of 2m/1.
    Lower ticket prize and the only g'tee 1m prize draw for just 5balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

They were absolutely mad to go public. If I won be it €250,000, 1 million or 130 million there is no way I would go public. Family are the only ones that would know. I want to be rich not famous for giving it all away. You do not get rich by being kind and spending it by the way. Just saying.

Get those you want to have a share (but it will be an equal share!) to sign the ticket with you. A makey uppy Syndicate.

But with that much money who cares. Tax free for you, and tax free for everyone else.

But anyone else (outside immediate family) would pay the tax and be very grateful anyway for the net result of anything you gift I reckon!

I have it all planned, that is why I will NEVER win. But to be honest, I'm not sure if I'd want the responsibility of such a huge amount of money either. It can bring its own problems. But anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

knock knock

who's there ?

it's the IRA looking for our donation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

absofeckinlutely

AMKC wrote: »
    They were absolutely mad to go public. If I won be it €250,000, 1 million or 130 million there is no way I would go public. Family are the only ones that would know. I want to be rich not famous for giving it all away. You do not get rich by being kind and spending it by the way. Just saying.

You'd have to be sure your family wouldn't squeal though. Bit of a gamble there :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Tonight's numbers are: 07 11 19 27 37 (06) (10)

Would never play the 'regular' EM due to the odds of 130m/1.
    Instead play the 'hotpicks' game when in the North or at any bookie.
    https://www.national-lottery.co.uk/games/euromillions-hotpicks

Was visiting relatives today and handed them a ticket with their birthday numbers
    and just thse 2 balls has won them 100 quid (tonight).

5 balls is the best, 1m for odds of 2m/1.
    Lower ticket prize and the only g'tee 1m prize draw for just 5balls.

Every Lotto thread has someone coming on telling us to go the bookies instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

Start my own “business “

Anyone asks why I am in a brand new Range Rover I can tell them business is good .

I would Get my family together . The ones I know I can completely trust would be told the truth and ones with a mouth would be told nothing and told what they need to know .

If you are clever you could get away with it

• Advertisement

Gonad wrote: »
    Start my own “business “

Anyone asks why I am in a brand new Range Rover I can tell them business is good .

I would Get my family together . The ones I know I can completely trust would be told the truth and ones with a mouth would be told nothing and told what they need to know .

If you are clever you could get away with it

Honestly, has anyone ever heard tell of any Lotto winner since Dolores?

Irish people have a way of letting people get on with it I think. And many very rural areas have had winners too.

I think people are too hysterical.

Anyway this was a UK/Euromillions. So who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

Very easy to hide a win like that. Just don't go too bling and tell people that some of your investments worked out really well.

Every Lotto thread has someone coming on telling us to go the bookies instead.

Better odds is why.

Although the 'hotpicks' is also something run by the official camelot operaters in the uk, think they might introduce it here, as it's been very popular.

Using 5 balls EM-HP you're x65 times more likely to become a millionare.

You’d have to give most of it away to achieve that. Anyway if you didn’t want the money why were you (in this thought experiment) buying a lottery ticket. Have to assume lottery ticket winners want to be rich. And stay rich.

Regarding myself, I have to be honest and admit that I’d like the power I could wield with that money, the mostly benevolent power in my case. I would indeed like to win a fair chunk to be able to wave my fantasy wand and achieve things for both myself and others. I kinda think most of us would be like that.

Better odds is why.

Although the 'hotpicks' is also something run by the official camelot operaters in the uk, think they might introduce it here, as it's been very popular.

Using 5 balls EM-HP you're x65 times more likely to become a millionare.

Better odds. But what are the odds of matching the required numbers to get a million from the bookies. I doubt it is anything as generous as 1,000 to 1.

Better odds. But what are the odds of matching the required numbers to get a million from the bookies. I doubt it is anything as generous as 1,000 to 1.

130m/1 on EM (regular) to become a millionaire (well multi-millionaire)
    2m/1 on EM (HP) to get a g'teed 1 million.

The bookies will often have max limits (200k or so) on what they can actually payout on lotteries, but some larger online ones are higher limits. Even small 3 balls attempts will be better 2balls = 100, 1€ on 3 balls = €1,500.

130m/1 on EM (regular) to become a millionaire (well multi-millionaire)
    2m/1 on EM (HP) to get a g'teed 1 million.

The bookies will often have max limits (200k or so) on what they can actually payout on lotteries, but some larger online ones are higher limits. Even small 3 balls attempts will be better 2balls = 100, 1€ on 3 balls = €1,500.

I'm afraid you and I are both going to go through our lifetimes winning nothing with the bookies at 2 million to 1 odds. Just for the heck of it I will keep doing the game at 130 million to 1 odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Is there any evidence for this? I am not going to send a begging letter. Are you? It is very easy to ignore them even if they come.

I think it would be more of a mental burden to have 130 million and not be able to let people know. Any interest will die down soon enough. There are multi millionaires regularly on Lotto games, and I never heard of any of them suffering as a result.

I worked in a Cork City Centre shop a few years ago and one morning a rumour went around that my boss at the time had won €3m the night before. It was incredible. His son rang him at about 9:15 (from Dublin) to tell him that he had heard about his luck and all day long people were coming in 'for a chat' and 'wishing him well'. Friends, Nuns, Charity workers, you name it. It was funny that morning but by the evening the joke had worn fairly thin. By that time he had easily gotten 200 visitors, with about half of them being blunt enough to ask him straight out to help out with some charity / cause / personal difficulty. As I say, it was incredible to watch.

Gifts aren’t taxable in the UK.

I wouldn’t tell anyone and I’d head straight to a large firm of lawyers for advice.

I’d also lodge the money outside of Ireland. Aside from clearing my mortgage and buying a few things that wouldn’t appear out of the ordinary, I’d invest the lot.

Can't understand that with that kind of money. Generally people will invest while they're working to create a nest egg for later in life. They might, say, want to have 50k or 100k for their retirement.
    Investing north of 100m for any ordinary Joe Soap is pretty pointless IMO. Spend what you want, on what you want, look after people as you want and just enjoy it. Investing that kind of money just so some great grandchild can piss it all against a wall wouldn't appeal to me at all. Nor would the fact that your investment only serves to make some wealthy lawyers, bankers and 'advisors' even wealthier than they already are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Aidric wrote: »
    'appearance fees'? Lol, they just won 115MM. Why should they care about appearance fees?

I doubt there’s any such in this country, in the US you have to go public if you win, no such thing here. They didn’t think it out and are really foolish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Madness to go public IMO but best of luck to them I wish I was in that position! Some day I'll win the lotto as well... some day...

Advertisement