Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were the lotto winners mad to go so public?

Options
  • 04-01-2019 5:47pm

I know if I should ever be so lucky as to have a major lottery win I couldn’t wait to share the news with those closest to me. However I would keep very quiet publicly about it, as I wouldn’t want to be forever more pestered by the both the somewhat needy and the downright greedy. That said I would most definitely be generously sharing my win, but at my own bidding. These winners from Tyrone seem very nice decent people, but for their own peace and safety sake, and the sake of their family, I cannot imagine what made them go out on a limb to publicize their win. Is it naivety?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Is anonymity available for the euromillions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Is anonymity available for the euromillions?

Of course.

I wouldn’t have gone public. FÜCK that.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I Imagine The local "Community activists" will be making a visit to them.

Madness to come forward!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I wouldn't have said anything. They make themselves a target for sackloads of begging letters and sob stories, hundreds of "friends" coming crawling out of the woodwork looking for a handout, as well as the security concerns.

A handful of people would know I'd won the full amount (like 2/3). Others would be told I'd won something (to deflect from the sudden obvious wealth like a car or house). Most of the money would be locked up and I'd live off the interest with provisions made for immediate family and my son's future.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

There is no way you could actually keep it quiet, especially in Ireland!!! you may as well take the media appearance fees and go public.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Don't think they had a choice with Euromillions.

If I won anything big I don't even know if I would tell my husband to be honest :D. He's an awful fella for blurting out stuff. I would tell no one. Family and friends would secretly get lots of money from anonymous sources, I would definitely share, but really, really sneakily.

oLoonatic wrote: »
    There is no way you could actually keep it quiet, especially in Ireland!!! you may as well take the media appearance fees and go public.

Disagree.. Maybe in smaller rural areas, but in Dublin or any large town I'd say it's very possible.

I'm living where I am 3 years (a year in my current place) and no-one would know me. Keep myself to myself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Absolute fools, I'd be on the next flight to Switzerland to take it all in. Plenty of lottery winners in Ireland that have gone completely under the radar. These folks have just burned the bridges with their old life and anyone who didn't make it onto their list.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'm sure if you don't go public no one would notice you suddenly have 130m........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Zorya wrote: »
    Don't think they had a choice with Euromillions.

If I won anything big I don't even know if I would tell my husband to be honest :D. He's an awful fella for blurting out stuff. I would tell no one. Family and friends would secretly get lots of money from anonymous sources, I would definitely share, but really, really sneakily.

Are you sure? Why would they make you go public?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

About a kilo of coke, a month of daily high priced hookers and some snaps from 5 star hotels around the world I'm sure my local community would figure out very quickly that I came into some money.

mad muffin wrote: »
    Are you sure? Why would they make you go public?

D'you know I just presumed that because they had gone public that they HAD to go public. Because otherwise it looks like lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭RichT

They'll be safe and sound............:rolleyes:
    Asked if they had thought about their personal security, Mrs Connolly joked: "I've never met anyone I couldn't take down myself!"

I suspect that might come back to bite them on the ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 67,240 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Zorya wrote: »
    D'you know I just presumed that because they had gone public that they HAD to go public. Because otherwise it looks like lunacy.

I'd imagine it is because they don't want to be restricted in how they spend it, and they seem intent on spending it, having indicated that 50 people will benefit. Fair play to them imo.

There is no compulsion to go public if you don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheJet

I recall been told before that Camelot push the winners to go public unlike or own National Lottery. There is nothing extra for going public but as this couple have made a list and those who will be fortunate to benefit, surely if they didnt go public, someone on that list would have certainly left it "slip".

I personally wouldn't go public with a win of that magnitude or even half a mill win.....I would like to think that I would be cute enough without been too obvious! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

Yes they were

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Nuts. Effectively putting a target on your forehead for all kinds of annoyance and that's before you even talk about the number of certified gangsters that might take a shine to you and your new nest egg.

I'd be getting the monies wired to my account and taking the next plane to the Costa Del Loaded

When a EuroMillions player is lucky enough to win the jackpot or a very large prize, they have several tough decisions to make, the biggest of which is whether to go public or remain anonymous. While many winners decide to claim their prizes quietly, there are those who decide to reveal their identities and speak publicly about their win; according to Andy Carter, the Senior Winners’ Advisor at The National Lottery, this figure is as low as 15 percent.

"Regardless of whether they tick the "no publicity" box or choose the press conference and champagne reception, all UK winners are promised support, including financial and legal advice, from the National Lottery."

https://www.euro-millions.com/publicity

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

How do you hide it though?

Seems impossible.

Seems impossible.

Just stay classy. ;) Be a barefoot billionaire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,038 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

They'll spend the rest of their lives saying 'no' to people with worthy causes and conmen offering to invest the money for them. Everyone will be looking for something for nothing. Sounds miserable.

Really foolish to go public. They could have donated anonymously if they wanted to help people.

Seems impossible.

It's easy...

Just tell people that you won the top lower prize. That will account for the new car, better/new house and day to day stuff like phones, clothes etc

Tell almost no-one the truth (in my case that'd be 2/3 people).

I also wouldn't stay living where I am, so that also helps with anonymity. Similarly, if I decided to quit work I'd just "get a new job", work out my notice and leave. You never hear from 99% of colleagues again anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

They were mad to go public. They will be plagued now for life. And everyone related to them will need security.

If it were me I would just admit to winning a much smaller amount. Enough to explain a new house. As long as you don't have a helicopter parked outside who would know any different?

They were mad to go public. They will be plagued now for life. And everyone related to them will need security.

If it were me I would just admit to winning a much smaller amount. Enough to explain a new house. As long as you don't have a helicopter parked outside who would know any different?

Yeah I hadn't even thought of the poor relations who are going to be plagued now. It's quite a foolish and irresponsible thing to do, really.

If you were wandering around the world, enjoying the place for the next 50 years, no one need ever know your bank account details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Yes they are bat**** crazy going public.no good reason for it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think Dolores Mc managed to stay beneath the radar, and live in Killaloe or wherever.

I would buy a gaff in the Embassy Belt in D4, and live out my life in peace like all the v. wealthy residents there seem to do. No one questions where THEIR wealth comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It's easy...

Exactly. If you kept a low enough profile no one would ever know. As long as you didn't run screaming up and down the street initially you could keep a lid on it. Retire quietly, move house, give money out slowly. Not buy a fleet of red Ferraris for your whole family. No one would have anything but their suspicions. They wouldn't be able to prove you won what when.

Is the point here, don't get rich because you will be plagued by gangsters and spongers?

Plenty of rich people don't seem to have any major problem with it...not to the point of giving all their money away. In fact many of them seem to enjoy letting others know how wealthy they are.

Seems the choice is, do you want to hide the fact you are wealthy and all the pain in the arse stuff that would mean or just enjoy the wealth and allow others to enjoy a bit of it too.

I can just imagine what a pain it would be to have to be secretive about it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I also would not gift anything to family... BUT I would invent a syndicate amongst them instead. No Gift Tax!

There is no Gift Tax in UK but if you don't survive for 7 years after the gift, it is charged to inheritance tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Not just mad but stupid as well. €130m worth of stupid to be precise.

There's so many ways to hide that wealth yet also be generous. I'm sure they're lovely people but coming out and saying that there's about 50 people they want to look after is foolish as well. Everyone who they ever met is now expecting a slice of the pie. Some will be bitter as **** once they hear they didn't 'make the cut' , others will be edging in to try to make the cut.

They have 3 children and 3 grandchildren. Look after them and decide on the rest afterwards.

Advertisement