Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were the lotto winners mad to go so public?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,233 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Certainly different than what I would do.

Of course. I didn't suggest it was right for everyone. Although I do think that making such a public show as the winners in this case is always a bad plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Of course. I didn't suggest it was right for everyone. Although I do think that making such a public show as the winners in this case is always a bad plan.

Or they are mental cases as you put it. The mental effects of holding this information in secret might be worth studying as well. But of course it is impossible to do so.

Those that go public are there in the public gaze, and a lot of people will know some of them. I don't think it does them much harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Danger of kidnapping

Danger of being hounded night and day by relatives, strangers and charities.

Although it would be impossible to hide that kind of wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Or they are mental cases as you put it. The mental effects of holding this information in secret might be worth studying as well. But of course it is impossible to do so.

Those that go public are there in the public gaze, and a lot of people will know some of them. I don't think it does them much harm.

Be grand.

If someone told you there was 130m in a Swiss bank waiting for you nothing needs to change that you dont want to. You could live the same life you do now without hassle and if you´re not a big spender you wont even have to invent a cover story

• Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I always laugh at people claiming they would say nothing and continue go to work for 6 months if they had a big lottery win. Yeah, sure you would buddy. :pac:

100 million plus in the bank and you are going to drag yourself out of bed to sit on the M50 and try to get to work so you can clock in on time? You're really going to sit listening to some customer whinging? You're really going to put up with all that petty crap people put up with in a normal job?

Like bollocks you are. You'd last about a week before laughing in the face of the first person who gave you any grief and walking out to go find something fun to do.

(To be clear, I would work if I was insanely rich, but damn sure it wouldn't be the same working situation as it was before a lottery win)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Be grand.

If someone told you there was 130m in a Swiss bank waiting for you nothing needs to change that you dont want to. You could live the same life you do now without hassle and if you´re not a big spender you wont even have to invent a cover story

On consideration I think you're right. I would just continue on the same way as I am now and not tell a soul.

I would give 4 million to 32 people in my will. Be a nice surprise for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

antodeco wrote: »
    The whole CAT for their friends and family was a dumb move by them. If you know who you're going to give money to, become a "syndicate" and that way everyone is a winner, so tax free

Isn't the drawback with this plan that you've got a "syndicate" of like 50 people who only bought one ticket :D

McDermotX wrote: »
    Some answers here around gifting money

https://www.money.co.uk/guides/how-do-i-gift-money-without-being-taxed.htm

Long story short, the UK government will get some dough down the line (and they'll probably need it after Brexit), if there is not some circuitous pathwork done.

Of course, you'll have the money to get people to find these paths for you.

I thought that (other than for small amounts) the disponer has to stay alive for seven years after gifting the money for it to be free of inheritance tax, it is only "potentially exempt" until then.

I vaguely remember that a place where I worked years ago had a syndicate win a million or so and the dope running it went off and claimed the money in their own name and gave it out to the others rather than putting a formal agreement together so the staying alive for 7 years thing became relevant.

Sad to say I haven't had the pleasure of winning or inheriting any significant money so it's all theoretical for me!

Personally if you have a big win on your own I think you're totally nuts to say anything public. Presumably syndicates etc. leak out information so much harder then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I’ll say it again...there is no gift tax in the UK

Yes but conversation has kind of moved onto what you would do and most here are in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

The poster was obviously referring to Dolores McNamara.
    Take it easy, I didn't know the lotto woman's second name either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Wheety wrote: »
    I’ll say it again...there is no gift tax in the UK

Yes but conversation has kind of moved onto what you would do and most here are in Ireland.

Not really...people were talking about the specifics of the people who won €130m.

For people here, you’d leave Ireland for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I always laugh at people claiming they would say nothing and continue go to work for 6 months if they had a big lottery win. Yeah, sure you would buddy. :pac:

100 million plus in the bank and you are going to drag yourself out of bed to sit on the M50 and try to get to work so you can clock in on time? You're really going to sit listening to some customer whinging? You're really going to put up with all that petty crap people put up with in a normal job?

Like bollocks you are. You'd last about a week before laughing in the face of the first person who gave you any grief and walking out to go find something fun to do.

(To be clear, I would work if I was insanely rich, but damn sure it wouldn't be the same working situation as it was before a lottery win)

Much easier to go in and do a mundane job knowing that you can leave whenever you want, without any repercussions, in comparison to the person who has to put up with the whingy customers because they have a mortgage and childcare fees to pay each month. Just knowing you have the freedom of being able to leave makes a job much easier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Take it easy, I didn't know the lotto woman's second name either.

Google is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Google is your friend.

Anyway, the two numpties that won the £114 million could get advice form Delores McNamara after winning in 2005 she still has 100 million left and is after investing in property in the US. They need to think before they go splashing it around.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I would like to keep it private but I don't know how long that will last.
    If I purchased my ticket locally the shop would be named and there's a good chance the seller would remember who bought tickets on a given evening even in busy enough places.
    Then I don't know how'd I'd be able to account for making any of the purchases I'd actually want. I'd have no interest in holiday homes/etc.
    I'd also have questions about would baking workers know my banking details and large judgements being made.
    I'd have no problem telling some family members but I certainly wouldn't tell some because they'd never leave you alone. I've one relative who I believe would never look for a thing off me but she'd let it slip by accident.

Anyway, the two numpties that won the £114 million could get advice form Delores McNamara after winning in 2005 she still has 100 million left and is after investing in property in the US. They need to think before they go splashing it around.

I'd love to know what the return would have been if she'd just lumped a few mill. into a passive NASDAQ tracker with income reinvested since then!

+300% or so I'd say! Hope she did!

• Registered Users Posts: 67,245 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Numpties? :rolleyes::D:D

These are fairly typical Ulster people, if they don't want to give you a hand out, they'll tell you and that will be the end of that.
    Once you ignore the first begging letter the rest would come easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I know if I should ever be so lucky as to have a major lottery win I couldn’t wait to share the news with those closest to me. However I would keep very quiet publicly about it, as I wouldn’t want to be forever more pestered by the both the somewhat needy and the downright greedy. That said I would most definitely be generously sharing my win, but at my own bidding. These winners from Tyrone seem very nice decent people, but for their own peace and safety sake, and the sake of their family, I cannot imagine what made them go out on a limb to publicize their win. Is it naivety?

It's generally the people who want fame to go along with their fortune.

I'd never dream of telling anyone. Is hide it to the best of my ability and try and make it look like I made money through business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Well Dublin HQ would have stepped in immediately before your local branch even knew. The GAA county star in bank sales will be first at your door looking to flog some product ;)

Bridget needs sacking and if she is gossiping around the town about the lotto winner she’s probably done that also for the newlywed couple with a ridiculous 30k wedding loan and farmer in trouble

If I knew a Bridget who was desperate to tell me of a local lotto winner I’d be wondering what she was saying about me behind my back grrrrr

Even if the 130B was transferred to the local BOI Bridget wouldn’t get a notification. You’d hope. Maybe every time there’s some money transferred they all get emails. Hope not.

The money probably is routed to a private bank to begin with. Then a financial advisor will help invest it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,233 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

What percentage of the average population are dickheads?

I mean out of the 50 millionaires they make, there's got to be at least 2 or 3 who blow it on drugs and hoores and end up ruining their own lives and those of others?

There are plenty of lotto winners who end up making an arse of it all so I would doubt that 50 can be created in one fell swoop without something going belly up somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

There's a Twitter account now in their name ( @Pat_conolly ) purporting to be giving away money to the first 50 people etc. and a few more classic tweets.

Joined January 2019 and has 44.9k followers already !!

The amount of numpties who think it's real is just pure comedy gold :D

https://twitter.com/Pat_conolly

That page also has a link to their YouTube page - Page has zero videos but over 4,000 subscribers !!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZQPHbMS4rCeZ-MX7TiSVMg/feed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

There's a Twitter account now in their name ( @Pat_conolly ) purporting to be giving away money to the first 50 people etc. and a few more classic tweets.

Joined January 2019 and has 44.9k followers already !!

The amount of numpties who think it's real is just pure comedy gold :D

https://twitter.com/Pat_conolly

That page also has a link to their YouTube page - Page has zero videos but over 4,000 subscribers !!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZQPHbMS4rCeZ-MX7TiSVMg/feed

Was looking at that twitter page yesterday. The second 'winner' had no idea what they had won. While the first (clearly the owner of the fake account) was thanking them for the money which had apparently already been transferred :rolleyes: Both winners were youtube gamers.
    Looks like they are trying to get a load of subscribers to a youtube channel and will then start uploading videos to it to try earn revenue from youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭De Bhál

After looking through that twitter account I'm amazed there's so many absolute gobdaws out there who

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

De Bhál wrote: »
    After looking through that twitter account I'm amazed there's so many absolute gobdaws out there who

Being poor and desperate will lead people to give it a try. Same reason people do the lotto I guess...well it is why I do the lotto, especially after a particularly ****ty day in work. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭fyfe79

One of the national papers runs a "Ireland's Top 100 Rich List" every year. Apparently, if you're a new entry on it, you'll receive a call from the Guards to advise/warn you on the dangers you are now exposed to. I know of a local guy who did incredibly well for himself, through setting up his own company and selling it on, that ended up on this list a few years ago.

Just shows the inherent risk you take by making a lotto win public, especially as you don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

I thought it was a case of go public and get the full amount or stay quiet and just get X amount every year for X amount of years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

I do mine online and not the local shop where a lot of people where I'm from do it. Live in a village with around a thousand people where everyone knows one another. If you ended up winning and buying a new car, a new house ,packing in your job etc. The whole village will know that your the winner instantly.

I wouldn't tell a soul. I'd book a trip to Vegas and tell people I won 250K in a poker tournament that was a grand to enter with around 500 entrants.

I'd luck after my mother and am only child. Might see some relations once every two or three years is all and wouldn't give them a cent

Advertisement