Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were the lotto winners mad to go so public?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Is the point here, don't get rich because you will be plagued by gangsters and spongers?

Plenty of rich people don't seem to have any major problem with it...not to the point of giving all their money away. In fact many of them seem to enjoy letting others know how wealthy they are.

Seems the choice is, do you want to hide the fact you are wealthy and all the pain in the arse stuff that would mean or just enjoy the wealth and allow others to enjoy a bit of it too.

I can just imagine what a pain it would be to have to be secretive about it tbh.

It's only in those initial weeks/months that secrecy and caution would be needed until you get the cash, get the right advice, make a plan, and start implementing it.

99% of people with that sort of money wouldn't stay living where they are I'd imagine.. that takes care of nosey neighbours

A similar percentage with €130m would give up work. Resign saying you were offered a better job. You'll never hear from those colleagues again anyway.. that takes care of work

Move then to a much richer neighbourhood (or in my case probably out of the country for a lot of the time), or build your own Southfork ranch, where wealth like that isn't a big thing.

Enjoy life and tell only those who you WANT to know.. tell the rest whatever you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

With that much cash, you could actually hire a lookalike and have them temporarily live in your gaff to avoid suspicion while you're getting set up abroad. Their role would be to do everyday mundane things without arousing suspicion.

They'd have to sign a non disclosure agreement of course and after a few weeks they get their fee. If Mr Burns in the Simpsons can convince a gullible Bart that an Estonian midget is actually his sister then anything is possible. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

It's just like in Goodfellas. Don't change your daily routine immediately. Don't buy anything expensive, like a Cadillac or a fur coat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

It would be great to win that amount. You could have loads of fun going to different remote places round the world, setting up micro-industries in small communities, give your children enough for houses and an investment fund, and then keep a couple of million for yourself to help with the sailing off into the sunset part of life. I would be living in a beach hut in Asia in a flash, and no one would know a single thing about my dosh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

oLoonatic wrote: »
    There is no way you could actually keep it quiet, especially in Ireland!!! you may as well take the media appearance fees and go public.

Yeh you can. I should know.

Oops.

• Advertisement

I think Dolores Mc managed to stay beneath the radar, and live in Killaloe or wherever.

I would buy a gaff in the Embassy Belt in D4, and live out my life in peace like all the v. wealthy residents there seem to do. No one questions where THEIR wealth comes from.

That’s exactly what you should do if you went public. Get a place with a big gate. Get some body guards. Get a chauffeur. I don’t see these places being burgled. Poor 80 year olds down the country yes. The rich, no.

I personally would keep it very quiet. There are no members in my family in any financial need, and I don’t have any descendants, but I would be looking to pay education fees, medical expenses; pay for holidays I know a couple of people could well do with, pay for mobility devices, spread lots of it about in those sorts of ways without making big promises to people. There are no people bar my next-of-kin I would notify of exact winnings, I live in a very anonymous pleasant south Dublin estate complex with apartments and houses. I would tell my cousins (not so many of them, all very discreet and fairly well-heeled professional types) had a very decent winning, and that I intended to move to my dream suburb of Dalkey and be able to afford the property tax there. Might keep a particularly safe trustworthy Koliber (Polish) light airplane for some years, for a bit of fun, that I could fly in the company of paid instructors/pilots (I learned how to fly when young but barred from keeping license due to 1980 sight requirements), take Business Class when doing long haul to be able to lie flat, and more travel to Greenland, Norway, etc. I am not a blingy type, so between all I don’t think it would be conspicuous that I had this amount to my name. I don’t like big fast cars, so I’d keep the nice hybrid one I have, except maybe get the bigger model for more luggage space. My improved lifestyle would be very much in keeping with my known aspirations, some of the things I already occasionally do, and past hobbies. Oh, I would also take some helicopter lesions (€500 a go) on top of the two tantalizing ones I took over past twenty years in lieu of travel. But the most fun would be doing the secret Santa and solving financial problems for people, on the quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Did Dolores have kidnap attempts on her children? You'd need to hire bodyguards.

130M is huge. Winning the Irish lottery with its 3M average in general you probably don’t need protection. There’s lots of quiet millionaires out there.

With 130M if you spent 240k a year on security (3 people on 80k, 6 on 40k. I don’t know the actual rates), you would spend <2% of the capital per decade which - with a decent financial advisor - shouldn’t eat into capital at all.

That’s exactly what you should do if you went public. Get a place with a big gate. Get some body guards. Get a chauffeur. I don’t see these places being burgled. Poor 80 year olds down the country yes. The rich, no.

The poor 80 year old down the country keeps much of her meagre money under the mattress, that’s the problem. The wealthy tend don’t tend to keep cash or items that can be quickly flogged off by these opportunist criminals.

• Advertisement

130M is huge. Winning the Irish lottery with its 3M average in general you probably don’t need protection. There’s lots of quiet millionaires out there.

With 130M if you spent 240k a year on security (3 people on 80k, 6 on 40k. I don’t know the actual rates), you would spend <2% of the capital per decade which - with a decent financial advisor - shouldn’t eat into capital at all.

I would rather not win this kind of money and have my whole life surrounded by security. Would be keen to offload some and maybe build some sort of community facilities (eg holiday centre for disabled, etc) and staff and maintain it for at least 20 years ahead. I’m pretty sure various things like this have been done by likes of previous winners. I could never hope to spend that amount in my lifetime ahead and would never want a life locked in behind gates protected by security.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Silly people, they have effectively painted a big target on their backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

valoren wrote: »
    With that much cash, you could actually hire a lookalike and have them temporarily live in your gaff to avoid suspicion while you're getting set up abroad. Their role would be to do everyday mundane things without arousing suspicion.

They'd have to sign a non disclosure agreement of course and after a few weeks they get their fee. If Mr Burns in the Simpsons can convince a gullible Bart that an Estonian midget is actually his sister then anything is possible. :)

Good idea but the missus would probably suss it out after a week or two.

I would rather not win this kind of money and have my whole life surrounded by security. Would be keen to offload some and maybe build some sort of community facilities (eg holiday centre for disabled, etc) and staff and maintain it for at least 20 years ahead. I’m pretty sure various things like this have been done by likes of previous winners. I could never hope to spend that amount in my lifetime ahead and would never want a life locked in behind gates protected by security.

You’d have to give most of it away to achieve that. Anyway if you didn’t want the money why were you (in this thought experiment) buying a lottery ticket. Have to assume lottery ticket winners want to be rich. And stay rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

So long as I get my solid gold house and my rocket car, I wouldn't care who found out I'd won.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Not just mad but stupid as well. €130m worth of stupid to be precise.

There's so many ways to hide that wealth yet also be generous. I'm sure they're lovely people but coming out and saying that there's about 50 people they want to look after is foolish as well. Everyone who they ever met is now expecting a slice of the pie. Some will be bitter as **** once they hear they didn't 'make the cut' , others will be edging in to try to make the cut.

They have 3 children and 3 grandchildren. Look after them and decide on the rest afterwards.

When you start giving handouts they'll be back for more and if they don't get there will be bitterness.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

I'd be scared of my family and friends being kidnapped, I mean the guys who did all the tiger kidnappings are all still around arent they?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Agricola wrote: »
    It's just like in Goodfellas. Don't change your daily routine immediately. Don't buy anything expensive, like a Cadillac or a fur coat!

That’s exactly what I’d do.

6 months of clocking in and out of work, same car, same clothes ( well I’d change my clothes).

Wouldn’t say anything to anyone other than immediate family. I’d wait until everyone had forgotten about any Euromillions winner.

Too many shysters and criminals out there. Why make yourself ( or your family) a target for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

oLoonatic wrote: »
    There is no way you could actually keep it quiet, especially in Ireland!!! you may as well take the media appearance fees and go public.

'appearance fees'? Lol, they just won 115MM. Why should they care about appearance fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I wouldn't have said anything. They make themselves a target for sackloads of begging letters and sob stories, hundreds of "friends" coming crawling out of the woodwork looking for a handout, as well as the security concerns.

A handful of people would know I'd won the full amount (like 2/3). Others would be told I'd won something (to deflect from the sudden obvious wealth like a car or house). Most of the money would be locked up and I'd live off the interest with provisions made for immediate family and my son's future.

Is there any evidence for this? I am not going to send a begging letter. Are you? It is very easy to ignore them even if they come.

I think it would be more of a mental burden to have 130 million and not be able to let people know. Any interest will die down soon enough. There are multi millionaires regularly on Lotto games, and I never heard of any of them suffering as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

They were talking about this in the final word this evening and 1 said what they could have done was hire a lawyer five them names if people and give them the news they got it anominous

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Is there any evidence for this? I am not going to send a begging letter. Are you? It is very easy to ignore them even if they come.

I would imagine they would be inundated by charities looking for their patronage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Very silly thing to do, and publicly annoucing they're going to make x50 F&F millionaires isn't wise either.

The best thing would have been to plan and prepare to head off with family to somewhere that 130m is average (Monaco, perhaps), but say you're moving to Costa del Bendorm - because of arthritus.
    Then pen away the next month writing x120 1/4m anon bank drafts to everyone you like.

Then with the other 100m, use half to set up a low-tax charitable enterprise of sorts, and spend the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I've said it before, I wouldn't even tell the wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Jumbo2018

Insane to go public.It would be reasonably easy to keep quiet as well.

Just pretend you won a couple of million or even less than that and it accounts for a new house etc

They could easily donate money to friends in private month by month and insist on confidentiality agreements as a condition on receiving payments.

I don't think I'd even tell my parents if I won the lotto as almost certainly my father would blab it to someone once he had a few pints in him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Jumbo2018

Journalist: And how will you deal with all the begging letters.

Lottery winner: Oh, I'll keep sending them.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

6 months of clocking in and out of work, same car, same clothes ( well I’d change my clothes).

Wouldn’t say anything to anyone other than immediate family. I’d wait until everyone had forgotten about any Euromillions winner.

Too many shysters and criminals out there. Why make yourself ( or your family) a target for them.

That’s exactly what I’d do.

Excellent. Though would add. ...'try get som prison time' within this period. A suspended sentence would have to be avoided

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

They are oddballs anyway. She says when they found out they won they stared at each other for 10 minutes. :eek: ........:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Get the feeling they were talked into it on the phone when making contact after winning.

https://www.national-lottery.co.uk/life-changing/winner-euromillions-connolly?icid=home:bd:4:ist-ts:tnl:lich-wieuco-752:in:co
    It's a PR dream for the Camelot folks, expect increase ticket sales for a month or so, until folks work out the odds of actually winning.

The odds are: 139,838,160/1 for 5balls+2stars.

And it's not 115m, it's only £114.9 (in gbp).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 radley2019

they hugged and made tea! :)

Advertisement