Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

After the fun of revisiting Katamari Damacy last night, I went and bought Reroll on the Switch when everyone went home!
    It's fecking fantastic!
    Nice crisp update to the original, well worth the €19.99 the EU eShop is charging Switch owners, I presume other formats are similar prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Quake 1, 2 and 3.. on my Android phone.

Quake1-Android.jpg
    (sorry about the volume bar..)

I've been using Delta Touch (Google Play Store) for the last few months, with a wireless mouse and keyboard (Android 8.1.0), for all things related to the Doom 1 engine.

I see Quad Touch (Google Play Store) is out of closed Beta now, with a price attached. This is by the same developer as Delta Touch. external Mouse control isn't quite there yet, but all flavour of Quake run on my phone, smooth as butter and pin sharp.

Just dump your Pak files into the matching Quake 1, 2 or 3 folders and away you go.. mods, conversions, online multiplayer all work too. Any official expansion packs also, including Quake III Team Arena, there's rumours it may work with the Star Trek Quake 3 engine games too, haven't read up enough on that.

Currently priced at €2.09.

The idea of Quake 2 and 3, particularly, on a phone, is so perverse. I got sucked into Quake 3 again after running it on a Pi, on the living room TV..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Amalgam wrote: »
    Quake 1, 2 and 3.. on my Android phone.

Quake1-Android.jpg
    (sorry about the volume bar..)

I've been using Delta Touch (Google Play Store) for the last few months, with a wireless mouse and keyboard (Android 8.1.0), for all things related to the Doom 1 engine.

I see Quad Touch (Google Play Store) is out of closed Beta now, with a price attached. This is by the same developer as Delta Touch. external Mouse control isn't quite there yet, but all flavour of Quake run on my phone, smooth as butter and pin sharp.

Just dump your Pak files into the matching Quake 1, 2 or 3 folders and away you go.. mods, conversions, online multiplayer all work too. Any official expansion packs also, including Quake III Team Arena, there's rumours it may work with the Star Trek Quake 3 engine games too, haven't read up enough on that.

Currently priced at €2.09.

The idea of Quake 2 and 3, particularly, on a phone, is so perverse. I got sucked into Quake 3 again after running it on a Pi, on the living room TV..

I wonder would that all work with a Chromecast, cast the games to the main TV?
    Or would the lag make them unplayable?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Isn't Chromecast fairly limited with what it casts?

Could get an MHL HDMI adaptor if they're still supported. Back in the Galaxy S3 days they were used with a USB hub to have the phone via HDMI with mouse, keyboard and 360 controller for awesome emulator goodness!

I feel like people don't emulate as much these days but it's pretty cool what you can do with phones if you really want to. I got the official DualShock 4 mount which was great for PS1 games on an 8 hour flight :)

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Isn't Chromecast fairly limited with what it casts?

Could get an MHL HDMI adaptor if they're still supported. Back in the Galaxy S3 days they were used with a USB hub to have the phone via HDMI with mouse, keyboard and 360 controller for awesome emulator goodness!

I feel like people don't emulate as much these days but it's pretty cool what you can do with phones if you really want to. I got the official DualShock 4 mount which was great for PS1 games on an 8 hour flight :)

Does the phone not do screen mirroring?
    I don't know myself, never tried it.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

It does but the lag is quite bad and can be choppy. I can adjust to lag fairly well but touchscreen controls for a TV is tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

In most cases with chromecast your phone is just telling the chromecast what to play. The phone itself doesn't play the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Got out the Saturn last year and played some Story of Thor 2, I got it out again this year and continued, I just got the last spirit, thought it was much harder. Music is fantastic
    I'll get into Christmas Nights too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Just finished episode 3 of Dusk which came out last week. Phenomenal game if you like 90's FPS. It's got the whole red, yellow and blue key sophisticated level design but it's not confusing in the least because everything is so distinctive you don't get lost. Game of 2018 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Jumping between:
    Panzer Dragoon(s) on the Saturn (sdcard has given it a new lease of life) and HotD 3 on the Xbox mainly and various stuff on the Switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Jumping between:
    Panzer Dragoon(s) on the Saturn (sdcard has given it a new lease of life) and HotD 3 on the Xbox mainly and various stuff on the Switch.

Wait... there's a Saturn SD loader now?

...got a link to that by any chance?

MrVestek wrote: »
    Wait... there's a Saturn SD loader now?

...got a link to that by any chance?

https://gdemu.wordpress.com/ordering/ordering-phoebe/

Its a pain in the hoop to order though, was waiting 3 months for mine..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Christmas Nights is on of course

• Registered Users Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭Inviere

Super Mario Odyssey....hands down the best game I've played in a long time, probably tops BotW for me (and that's saying something). The gameplay is amazing, level design amazing, graphics & sound amazing, pick up and play factor is what I love. It's what Nintendo do so well, and why they're the best at it. Coming near the end of the game now (started it a few days ago), and will definitely miss it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Inviere wrote: »
    Super Mario Odyssey....hands down the best game I've played in a long time, probably tops BotW for me (and that's saying something). The gameplay is amazing, level design amazing, graphics & sound amazing, pick up and play factor is what I love. It's what Nintendo do so well, and why they're the best at it. Coming near the end of the game now (started it a few days ago), and will definitely miss it.

Fantastic game alright. Got bored of BotW quickly enough but Odyssey held my attention all the way til the end. Well, think I got to 600 or so moons, that was 'end' enough for me. :)

Must go back to the Switch, haven't turned it on in ages.

Playing some 'Eyetoy' games on PS2, picked up the camera for 50c so a shame not to try it out :)

Fairly primitive but the kids like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

played the 1st 3 levels of Medal of Honour on the classic , can't believe how much I enjoyed it , will be continuing it later

An FPS on the PS digital pad ... The horror, the horror!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,446 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Shoulder button strafing, them were the days!

The days when you had to learn a new control system with every game!
    Think you know where accelerate and the handbrake buttons are.... Think again!

• Advertisement

Playing some Theme Park on Mega Drive. I was never any good at these games, but I try :D

Easier than Sim City games though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,446 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm currently playing Metroid Prime on the WIIU via the Trilogy collection. A Wii port of a Gamecube game as part of a compilation downloaded via the shop on the Wii U. :D

Want to get through it and the two following games before any more Metroid games come out on the Switch.

The second one is haaaard!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Just installed Fightcade and got a few games of SF2 championship edition, seemed a bit laggy but I heard there is a Fightcade version 2 out that is meant to be much better so will check that out tomorrow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So since I got rare replay for the Xbox One I gave Perfect Dark Zero a go to see how it holds up.

It doesn't.

I played the first level and it's jank city. The resolution seems really low with no AA so everything is blocky and it just looks kind of terrible. Everything else about the game is just so mediocre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So since I got rare replay for the Xbox One I gave Perfect Dark Zero a go to see how it holds up.

It doesn't.

I played the first level and it's jank city. The resolution seems really low with no AA so everything is blocky and it just looks kind of terrible. Everything else about the game is just so mediocre.

rosetintedglasses.jpg?w=300&h=161

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

deadl0ck wrote: »
    rosetintedglasses.jpg?w=300&h=161

Don't think I ever had any love for the game to begin with!

It has that awful 2004-2007 look where people went bananas with pixel shaders and specular highlights so everything looks like it's smeared in a coating of baby oil.

The first stage also takes place underwater which I'm guessing was meant to look impressive but just looks like budget Bioshock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭Inviere

"Finished" Super Mario Odyssey...well, there's now the Mushroom Kingdom and by all accounts two dark worlds left. I dunno, the game is incredibly good (best game I've played in many years), but what remains seems like a pure collectathon. I was never a fan of sidequests or anything like that, is it worth spending hours now collecting enough stars to progress on?

The original Perfect Dark wasn't too bad at the time, trying to expand on Goldeneye but without the goodwill of the 007 franchise to carry it along.
    I still played the single player campaign to the end.

Perfect Dark Zero had nothing going for it.
    I picked it up on release, along with my 360 and it was dreadful.
    At a time when the PS2/Xbox/GC were hosting amazing games, pushing the hardware to the limits, PD0 just felt bad to play, and the Rare Replay edition does nothing to fix the issues.

It was a problem I found anyway with a lot of the games on the Replay compilation, they had a chance to bring some modern cop-on to the bonkers control systems on these old titles and didn't bother, Jet Force Gemini is a good example. It's another game I played to the end but is just awful to play now with that control system ruining it.

edit: apparently they patched JFG's controls... must go and see if it's an improvement!

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    "Finished" Super Mario Odyssey...well, there's now the Mushroom Kingdom and by all accounts two dark worlds left. I dunno, the game is incredibly good (best game I've played in many years), but what remains seems like a pure collectathon. I was never a fan of sidequests or anything like that, is it worth spending hours now collecting enough stars to progress on?

I went ahead and collected everything and had a blast doing so.

You're missing out on a lot of the game if you don't as it opens up new areas and really starts challenging the player.

However I did find it got a bit of a chore towards the end. For every really ingenious or challenging star there was one or two that were there just to make up the numbers.

The mushroom kingdom is a great world to explore and well worth doing. The moon levels, well it's mostly picture puzzles which are fun, and a boss rush, which can be infuriating.

Advertisement