Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Inviere wrote: »
    Completely different games really.
    Learn something new every day! I always just assumed they were ports of each other. Guess that's my next game to try

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's kind of interesting when that happens isn't it? I had Alien 3 growing up on the Megadrive and always assumed Alien 3 for the Snes was the same - nope, totally different games.

Megadrive version is a port of the Amiga game and then the Snes game uses the same engine as the Judge Dredd movie game.

Same goes for Robocop Versus The Terminator. Megadrive game is excellent (Get back in your box, Retr0! :D) and the Snes game is a piece of rubbish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RvT is just less cack on the Megadrive. It was never good.

Always wanted to give Alien 3 a go on the SNES. Supposed to be excellent whereas the megadrive game is merely adequate and gets really dull after the second stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Alien 3 on the snes was far more impressive graphically, but I think the megadrive version is a much better game. Its very arcade-like, straight to the point, and tough as nails. The timer was your worst enemy, making it with seconds to spare. Great soundtrack too, especially remember the nest level for the way the music builds up from the dripping sound effect.

All the music is great though.

Also, check out this higher quality remake of the intro, great stuff

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was playing Street Fighter III... on my cab... using my 2 player control panel.... which is finally working!
    Woohoo!

And, full disclosure, I'm still sh1te at Street Fighter.

Seems the 2 player controls weren't auto saving on exit from Retroarch, they are now, once I corrected the directory address.

Robotron also played, lovely...

• Advertisement

Just spent the evening fighting with Oblivion, trying to get it to run adequately on modern hardware. Installed god knows how many quality of life mods and it's finally running right. However now I'm too tired to play it:pac:

Also Robocop Vs Terminator is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Spent a few hours curating 3000 or so mame roms (of which I have all the originals in storage I swear) into a decent 200 favorites list for my Naomi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Playing lots of SNES Super Mario kart

Four Irish records so far and hoping for another few by end of week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cracked the 40 hour mark on Dragon Quest 8. Really enjoying the game.

Dragon Quest usually has a very simple overarching story put each town has it's own little short story to follow and the characters are usually very well realized. DQ8 is no exception.

I also really enjoy the battle system as while it's quite simple the enemies really add the flavor to it with their bizarre behaviours.

I've beaten the game before on PS2 but playing the 3DS version. While the graphics have taken a massive hit, the cel shading effect is absent, it still looks great and the lack of random battles is a god send.

I actually stopped playing Dragon Quest 11 as it's so similar to DQ8 as it would be a bit much to be playing 2 very similar games.

Getting my Xbox One from parcel motel tonight so will probably be overdosing of Ninja Gaiden.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Getting my Xbox One from parcel motel tonight so will probably be overdosing of Ninja Gaiden secretly overdosing on Red Dead Redemption 2 while simultaneously self flagellating and calling myself a 'naughty boy' for playing such a mainstream game.

:pac: fyp

Was almost tempted to pick up one myself with some of the deals on Black Friday, some really good prices knocking around.

• Advertisement

I've played a good bit of it in my brothers house and I wasn't enjoying it that much. It's technically impressive but there's so many annoying things about the game that I feel many reviewers gave the game a free pass on due to the hype factor. There's too much focus on the simulation aspect rather than not including some stuff as it detracts from the fun of the game.

I'll await a PC version. Only getting a Xbox One S anyway so I'd be better off playing it on the PS4.

I picked up an xbone to play it.
    you can ignore all the simulation stuff if you like it doesnt seem to make a difference .

I picked up an xbone to play it.
    you can ignore all the simulation stuff if you like it doesnt seem to make a difference .

Well in ways it makes the controls janky and the lack of fast travel is baffling.

It's weird, it's just every game is a massive time investment because the game is constantly slowing you down getting to where you want to be. My brother who has a kid now in his own words said it was a waste of money as he can't have a quick game in the few minutes a week where he has time to play it :)

I don't hate it and would love to give it more time but would love a PC version to do it justice as I only have a base PS4 and One now. It just feels really restrictive compared to Breath of the Wild which embraces it's systems more. Every weird physics or enemy system feeds into that game and makes it fun whereas they feel a bit... compartmentalized in RDR2. It's like they were put in without thinking about how this will actually add to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Inviere

the lack of fast travel is baffling.

Press X to inhale
    Press and hold Y to exhale

Press X to inhale
    Press and hold Y to exhale

Well I've not unlocked it yet but heard it's a bit awkward to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Well in ways it makes the controls janky and the lack of fast travel is baffling.

It's weird, it's just every game is a massive time investment because the game is constantly slowing you down getting to where you want to be. My brother who has a kid now in his own words said it was a waste of money as he can't have a quick game in the few minutes a week where he has time to play it :)

I don't hate it and would love to give it more time but would love a PC version to do it justice as I only have a base PS4 and One now. It just feels really restrictive compared to Breath of the Wild which embraces it's systems more. Every weird physics or enemy system feeds into that game and makes it fun whereas they feel a bit... compartmentalized in RDR2. It's like they were put in without thinking about how this will actually add to the game.

I feel the same. Bit too much "on rails" feeling stuff. Mainly simple stuff like being forced to walk whenever you get close to things or following another rider while holding A to alternate between being too fast or too slow :pac:. It's so engrossing when you've the time to put into it but I'm slow to pick it up in case I can only give it 5mins. Still love it though. So much attention to detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Inviere

I may have used a save-state or two :o

That wasn't sitting well with me, I went back to finish it using a few continues instead. Tough little game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Feeling a bit daunted by RDR2 as well. I've been looking at games to play on PS4 and all the best reviewed ones seem to be open world stuff. I'm half way through Yakuza 0 on PC and just picked up Kawami on Playstation Plus so I've got about 12 months of gaming ahead of me at the rate I get through long games.

My other issue is I really like mouse and keyboard and the purposely vague RDR2 shooting mechanics really make you scream out for a mouse. I've no interest in playing any FPS on joypad either so that means a third of the library is out right away.

So got the Xbox One last night and spent most of the night playing Halo :)

Just the first game. First time playing the anniversary edition. When I saw it first I thought it didn't look great at all. Then I switched to the old graphics and had the rose tinted glasses slapped off my face. Where had all the textures gone! Bit of an eye opener the difference in the two versions. I guess retronauts is right saying the graphics that have aged the worst are always the generation before the current one.

Really liked how I could play the game after only a couple of GB download, really handy feature as the game hadn't fully downloaded by the time I called it a night.

Say what you will about Halo but the Masterchief collection is fantastic value for money, especially as a lot of the bugs are now fixed.

Played some Ninja Gaiden as well and unlike Halo this game still looks stunning, even more so in 1080p. There's some interesting graphical errors though, models show tearing between polygons now every so often. It's not very noticeable but interesting as I say it was in the original release but not noticeable at low resolution as the tearing is so fine.

I can only imagine how good this game looks in 4K. And it's still the best character action game ever made. Fight me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The Master Chief Collection is even better value if you get it free on the Xbox Game Pass! It's definitely handy you can prioritize which games you want to download and can turn off downloading multiplayer too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Been playing darkwing duck and gun.smoke.
    Haven't finished either of them yet. Going to keep playing darkwing but might give up on gun.smoke, my thumb can't take it! I switched to the turbo controller but the swivel pad it has makes it so much more awkward to manoeuvre that it negated any benefit from the turbo fire...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I was playing Street Fighter III... on my cab... using my 2 player control panel.... which is finally working!
    Woohoo!

And, full disclosure, I'm still sh1te at Street Fighter.

Seems the 2 player controls weren't auto saving on exit from Retroarch, they are now, once I corrected the directory address.

Robotron also played, lovely...

Hallelujah!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Doge wrote: »
    Hallelujah!

Might be some sort of thing there, not recognising a direction and a button press simultaneously... I don't think it's a problem with the Minipac though, maybe I'm imagining it.

Finished Halo: CE

It's aged quite a bit since I last played it. The AI isn't so hot anymore. Still a fun game.

The main issue with the game is how rushed it is. The Library is just a garbage level but there's also a lot of levels of just the same corridors repeated, like they got their level design assets from Ikea.

It's a shame as when the game is taking place in better designed levels its a lot of fun.

Moved to the Halo 2 remake. I remember this game looking like the most technically advanced game on the XBOX. It still is but it's also incredibly ugly compared to Ninja Gaiden or Panzer Dragoon Orta. The remaster makes the game look a lot better.

The opening stages are actually pretty good. Well designed set pieces and good level design.

Then I played the first arbiter level. The Ikea level design is back and then the flood just appear for absolutely no reason. It's kind of rubbish and I remember the game having a lot of these boring levels after the initial opening.

Master of the Universe

I made the mistake of approaching Resident Evil 0 in a similar fashion to Resident Evil 4 as I haven't played one of the more traditional tank style games in years.

Yeah I'm now stuck about 3 hours in with absolutely zero ammo, zero health and rooms full of zombies around me. Feck!

So I tried Panzer Dragoon Orta on the Xbox One and the move to 1080p is transformative.

The game still looks gorgeous but you just notice so much more detail. The first boss fight for example with the aircraft carrier, I never noticed that there were crew members running around on it while you fought it due to the lower resolution.

Master of the Universe

I didn't realise the Xbox One upscaled old games? That's a really interesting angle on backwards compatibility.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I didn't realise the Xbox One upscaled old games? That's a really interesting angle on backwards compatibility.

Yeah it does and it's not upscaling, it runs them in higher resolution so it's not a cheap post processing filter. The X will up res to 4K as well. Stuff like Ninja Gaiden and Orta look glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Playing Parappa the Rapper remake. The tunes are catchy and it looks great. Pity they didn't tweak the gameplay a bit though the symbols in level 4 don't seem to correspond to the desired timing at all.

I'd love to play Gitaroo Man again. Maybe I can emulate it.

• Advertisement

I find parappa and I'm jammer lammy unplayable on modern tvs. Such a pity as I love them.

Advertisement