Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Under 20 2019 6 Nations and World Championships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Is that Conor Hayes that was on the Irish bench not the Connacht one? Or do Munster have a different one?
    It'll be guy with Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Who were the centers for Ireland?

I’ve been told Moore should be out for a while due to an injury when he scored his intercept in the last game.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Any team sheets for Irish schools u18 and clubs u18 game?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Blackheath

With both game against Leinster and Munster over had anyone an idea of what team should play against England?

Any team sheets for Irish schools u18 and clubs u18 game?
    Best leave that to the youths thread. isnt really on topic for under 20 thread
    Blackheath wrote: »
    With both game against Leinster and Munster over had anyone an idea of what team should play against England?
    Compare starting teams from both the games and see who played both and put the starters from both games possibly as favourites for first 6 nation game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Does the side this year have many standouts??
    Last year, I thought the players individually were good, but the coaching was atrocious.
    I would guess that Kernahan would be a lock for the starting xv. He has pro 14 experience and has looked good.
    Lowry is a fine player also and comes with pro 14 experience.
    There are a couple of lads left from last year also, Harry Byrne and Charlie Ryan.
    England are up 1st and are always a very good team.
    The last 2 years have been frustrating as some of the lads have excelled and made a mark with the provinces.
    Boyle with Connacht and Doris with Leinster are 2.
    I think the talent is there, but the coaching is not getting much out of them.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Last year, I thought the players individually were good, but the coaching was atrocious.
    I would guess that Kernahan would be a lock for the starting xv. He has pro 14 experience and has looked good.
    There are a couple of lads left from last year also, Harry Byrne and Charlie Ryan.
    The last 2 years have been frustrating as some of the lads have excelled and made a mark with the provinces.
    Being pedantic theyre all standouts but some who could really progress for me are Harry Byrne, David Hawkshaw, John Hodnett, JJ McKee and Niall Murray

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭DonVito

Lowry is over age.

Pity bout Lowry. He looked good for Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Dubinusa wrote: »

Hawkshaw coming with arguably the biggest reputation.

Seems to have done quite well for Tarf at senior and U20 this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Hawkshaw coming with arguably the biggest reputation.

Seems to have done quite well for Tarf at senior and U20 this season

I think you'll find there is a drop off on some schools players after school and I think this is the case with Hawkshaw. Sometimes these players know their team so well and click in that environment it is difficult to come outside of that and recreate it with whom was your competitors. I think we'll see him struggle to make transition from what was a sparkling schools career into professionalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Sudolife

Heymans wrote: »
    I think you'll find there is a drop off on some schools players after school and I think this is the case with Hawkshaw. Sometimes these players know their team so well and click in that environment it is difficult to come outside of that and recreate it with whom was your competitors. I think we'll see him struggle to make transition from what was a sparkling schools career into professionalism.

I disagree, the guy has came into every team he's ever played in and made a huge positive difference in the quality of the teams play.

He also is either going to be named captain or vice captain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 416 ✭✭Thermoman12

I think he’s used to playing in different environments at a high standard, he played for Dublin and won the Leinster minor hurling championship as a 16 year old, won the senior cup as a 16 year old and played a vital role in that campaign scoring two tries against Blackrock and started Ireland u18s as a 16 year old, and he also captained Leinster u19s, I would say he’s used to playing in different environments at a high standard

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Sudolife wrote: »
    I disagree, the guy has came into every team he's ever played in and made a huge positive difference in the quality of the teams play.

He also is either going to be named captain or vice captain.

Whatever about him being a good player there is absolutely no chance of him being captain or vice captain. He’s probably 3rd maybe even 4th choice 10 and 2nd choice 12 when Moore is fit. Captain will be either Craig Casey or Charlie Ryan with the other being vice . Maybe Harry Byrne or azur Allison could get a leadership role I.e vice captain

I think he’s used to playing in different environments at a high standard, he played for Dublin and won the Leinster minor hurling championship as a 16 year old, won the senior cup as a 16 year old and played a vital role in that campaign scoring two tries against Blackrock and started Ireland u18s as a 16 year old, and he also captained Leinster u19s, I would say he’s used to playing in different environments at a high standard

Yes he played for Ireland u18s as an u17 but hasn’t really kicked on, Harry Byrne and Ben Healy both ahead of him at 10 and maybe even Jake Flannery

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Yes he played for Ireland u18s as an u17 but hasn’t really kicked on, Harry Byrne and Ben Healy both ahead of him at 10 and maybe even Jake Flannery

That’s only because he was injured for Ireland the past two years and Ben Healy hasn’t even played an u20 game yet and Jake Flannery is playing fullback, hawkshaw will start 12 with Harry Byrne at 10

Whatever about him being a good player there is absolutely no chance of him being captain or vice captain. He’s probably 3rd maybe even 4th choice 10 and 2nd choice 12 when Moore is fit. Captain will be either Craig Casey or Charlie Ryan with the other being vice . Maybe Harry Byrne or azur Allison could get a leadership role I.e vice captain

What makes you think he’s not a good captain? Wouldn’t say there’s no chance of him being captain considering he’s captained teams in the past, he’s captained Leinster u19 and his school team even when he just came back from injury, Harry Byrne has never been a captain before and Azur Allison is injured and hasn’t played any warm up games for the u20s.

You clearly haven’t watched the past 2 Ireland u20 games

You clearly haven’t watched the past 2 Ireland u20 games

You mean the games Casey captained the side in? You can’t have a captain who isn’t guaranteed to start

What makes you think he’s not a good captain? Wouldn’t say there’s no chance of him being captain considering he’s captained teams in the past, he’s captained Leinster u19 and his school team even when he just came back from injury, Harry Byrne has never been a captain before and Azur Allison is injured and hasn’t played any warm up games for the u20s.

Never said he wasn’t a good captain, said he’s not guaranteed to start. Don’t forget that leinster u19 side didn’t include Ryan and Byrne. Ryan was named captain of Irish 18s before injury in sct final and Allison captained Irish 19s last year. In relation to Byrne I don’t think he will be captain but he has always played a year up and your captain has to be one of the first names down on the sheet

• Advertisement

You mean the games Casey captained the side in? You can’t have a captain who isn’t guaranteed to start

That’s just your opinion that he’s not guaranteed to start, anyway to be fair no one is guaranteed to start at the moment, there’s a lot of competition in the squad and I think it’s great

Never said he wasn’t a good captain, said he’s not guaranteed to start. Don’t forget that leinster u19 side didn’t include Ryan and Byrne. Ryan was named captain of Irish 18s before injury in sct final and Allison captained Irish 19s last year. In relation to Byrne I don’t think he will be captain but he has always played a year up and your captain has to be one of the first names down on the sheet

There’s no point arguing about this now, let’s just wait for the first game and see what happens it’s great the amount of talent in the squad and I think it’s one of the most talented squads in a few years, really looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jmn51927

Arguably the most talented backline in recent history?
    Casey Byrne Kernohan Hawkshaw French Turner Flannery?
    Exceptional when you think of the likes of Foley Hughes Moore Wren Healy O’Sullivan Ryan all are excluded

I'm just going to translate your post into a less condescending format:

"Rugby players who thrived in schools game either make it or they don't professionally"

Very insightful :pac:

You've given yourself a scenario where you've a 50% chance of being right all the while writing off a 19 year old who was playing SCT rugby just last season.

So far this season he has 2 appearances in an exceptionally strong Leinster A team and a fistful of appearances including starts for Clontarf.

I'd be waiting until I see him in the U20 6 nations before writing him off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭elliot_st

No Azur Allison, Ryan Baird, Scott Penny or Cormac Foley so far due to injury.

elliot_st wrote: »
    No Azur Allison, Ryan Baird, Scott Penny or Cormac Foley so far due to injury.

Looks like Penny was saved for senior Leinster duty as opposed to injury ha.

Some bragging rights among his peers for that one

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

I'm just going to translate your post into a less condescending format:

"Rugby players who thrived in schools game either make it or they don't professionally"

Very insightful :pac:

You've given yourself a scenario where you've a 50% chance of being right all the while writing off a 19 year old who was playing SCT rugby just last season.

So far this season he has 2 appearances in an exceptionally strong Leinster A team and a fistful of appearances including starts for Clontarf.

I'd be waiting until I see him in the U20 6 nations before writing him off

If he makes the team!

I think the Belvo players struggle to recreate their success at provincial and international level - I include Hawkshaw in this category.

I'm thinking that Penny will be retained at Leinster during the 6nations. With Vdfand Leavy at Carton house.
    He starts against Ulster this weekend. He's been impressive from what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

england u20s look very very good , buckets of talent

• Advertisement

Yea, they always are loaded. Very difficult side to play against most years.
    But, we punch above our weight imo.
    Even last years crop will develop 3 or 4 good pro players.

Advertisement