Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toyota Rav 4 hybrid

• 31-12-2018 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

What is the consensus with the Rav 4. I am thinking of changing next year. Do I go for the diesel or a petrol hybrid. 2 WD or AWD.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Theres a new rav4 hybrid coming soon - complete revamp and will be able to tow also.
    I'd wait for that one. Front drive tow something like 750kg all wheel drive tow 1250kg approx.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Mach Two

I don't particularly want to buy a new one. Too expensive. And my existing car is on the way out. I was hoping to get something about 2 yrs old. Is it not possible to tow something with the existing hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

New one is in showrooms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

New one is in showrooms....I seen one. Now I didn't ask the price but I would say EXPENSIVE.....

It was a beautiful car. The interior is 10 times better to the older model. I had a 2017 AWD RAV4 hybrid on a 2 week test earlier this year. I got around 8ltr/100km and that was not driving hard. The owner said that was about right for it. Maybe sometimes towards 7.5ltr. He said the 2WD does a lot better

If you go AWD then you will get poorer performance so unless you want to go into fields you are better with 2WD. Also the newer engine will be a lot better so you will see a huge jump in performance. I will try and stick up a few pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Mach Two wrote: »
    I don't particularly want to buy a new one. Too expensive. And my existing car is on the way out. I was hoping to get something about 2 yrs old. Is it not possible to tow something with the existing hybrid.

Nope, it’s not type approved (homologated) so has never been approved in Europe to tow or put a tow bar on. That’s not to say it physically cannot just that if you manage to get a towbar that fits and you put it on your insurance is invalid.

• Advertisement

Outlander PHEV will allow you to tow

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Outlander PHEV will allow you to tow

What kind of reviews are they getting.

Couple of images of the Rav4....no idea of price but it looks very very nice :D

What kind of reviews are they getting.

Everything I have heard is good.....I haven't bought one so I can't say myself....strongly thinking about it for a long time.....

I think a few thread on here about them

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

New one is in showrooms....I seen one. Now I didn't ask the price but I would say EXPENSIVE.....

It was a beautiful car. The interior is 10 times better to the older model. I had a 2017 AWD RAV4 hybrid on a 2 week test earlier this year. I got around 8ltr/100km and that was not driving hard. The owner said that was about right for it. Maybe sometimes towards 7.5ltr. He said the 2WD does a lot better

If you go AWD then you will get poorer performance so unless you want to go into fields you are better with 2WD. Also the newer engine will be a lot better so you will see a huge jump in performance. I will try and stick up a few pics.

I'd hope the 2WD does better, my 2012 2.4L petrol Rav4 does as well as that.

Any word on them going for an all electric model anytime soon, I was so surprised when they went all out for Hybrids this year. They were so ahead of the game 5years ago and then just pulled out. They are a well liked car on the Irish market AFAIK, I imagine a full electric would have been a really good seller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

There have already been 2 full EV rav 4. Only sold in compliance markets like California and Oregon etc.
    First gen was a NIMH battery and sold around the same time as the ford ranger EV and EV1.

Second gen was a 40kWh Tesla battery retrofitted into existing Rav4 models and sold by some Toyota dealers in the states above. Around 2012-2014 if memory serves. Came as standard with no fast charging but could be quite easily retrofitted with Chademo.

That's kind of what I was referring to about being ahead of the game a few years ago and then going backwards.

I am holding on for something like a full electric rav4. If it was similar in distance to the I pace but at half the price, I'd be all over it

Have you considered the Kona EV ? It is exactly that "Similar in distance to the IPace - actually it's better - but at half the price"

ELM327 wrote: »
    Have you considered the Kona EV ? It is exactly that "Similar in distance to the IPace - actually it's better - but at half the price"

Actually looking at it. We are a one car family and while I am the practical one, the other parts of the family are not sold on it just yet. I think I can convince them to switch out and hopefully get some trade in value on our current car before it is completely worthless.

Regrettably, they are brand and look fanatics so a Rav 4 would be an easier sell for me but even then, I would like it to be on the market for a year or two to hopefully pick up an early adopter or returned PCP model for well below original asking price. We shall see how it goes.

The house is covered in solar panels, so an ideal plan would be a decent range like the kona. Looking at our longest to shortest drives, anything that can reliably go for 400km would be perfect. Although I don't expect us to ever need more that 270km on a single charge.

What is the cost of petrol per km compared to electric per km.

How long is a piece of string?

Generally accepted consensus is that EV driving is approximately 10% of the cost of driving a petrol on a pure fuel basis (ie only looking at fuel costs, not tax/depreciation/maintenance etc).
    So if you're paying currently 20c/km you could expect ~2c/km in an EV, but there really is no one size fits all answer.

If I had one with suitable range, as in a once or twice a week charge from home, the cost would be practically zero thanks to the solar panels but even on full price of the grid, talking to a friend who works for a motor sales company (and in no way benefits form pushing EV at the minute), he estimated 20/25quid for 450km vs a range of 50 to 150euro for the same depending on traffic and fuel costs, car type etc. These were all out of his ass but considering he would be biased in favour of getting his stock out the door, and he was presuming home charge at full whack, that is probably conservative.

On other costs, my tax would be 1/6 the price which alone considering driving done would cover six months of driving alone if paying full whack for home charging. This then means that for me, to compare you could skew those numbers again so the ratio would be closer to 1/10. Considering I have the solar panels, it would be basically free driving for 9 months of the year for a decent range vehicle.

So for me driving cost, motor tax and about half my insurance would be cheaper than the tax alone for the current family car.

It really is a no brainer as a back of the envelope estimate for me would be a running cost saving of 3000euro a year. At current market rates that means I can replace the battery and still save 15000 every 7 years.

*all numbers made up but I would appreciate if more knowledgeable people could let me know how far out of line I am

The Kona will be too small. It is small compared to the RAV4. Better off holding off till the Kia eNiro comes out. It is not as big as the RAV but not as small as the Kona.

Might be able to swing it.

After that not really many crossover coming out. Audi have a "cheaper" Crossover but still expect to be 50k+....The next one would be VW Crozz which I would suggest if early release then end of 2020 but in reality 2021...I did see mention of a Leaf Crossover in 2020 but I doubt it. If they get the Leaf 60kWh out early this year then maybe but everything about Nissan suggests disaster

Of course if you still to cars other options available.

In terms of the RAV, it is beautiful. The ltr/100km will be a lot better on the new one. The engine was too small in old one. But you will still be at 4-5ltr/100km so the saving would be minimal compared to a BEV

ELM327 wrote: »
    How long is a piece of string?

Generally accepted consensus is that EV driving is approximately 10% of the cost of driving a petrol on a pure fuel basis (ie only looking at fuel costs, not tax/depreciation/maintenance etc).
    So if you're paying currently 20c/km you could expect ~2c/km in an EV, but there really is no one size fits all answer.

Going back on threads they are saying,
    €3.60/100 km electric,
    €5.00/100 km diesel.

€3.60/100 km electric,
    €5.00/100 km diesel.

3.60? you buy Gold electricity :p

Sorry I meant premium electricity

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

€3.60/100 km electric,
    €5.00/100 km diesel.

If you are charging on night rate its closer to €1.00/100km maybe €1.10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

I'm paying 14c a kwh. lets say thats a leaf so 16kw/100km = €2.24.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

€3.60/100 km electric,
    €5.00/100 km diesel.

No diesel does €5.00/100km

If we take motorway driving a normal EV uses 20kWh/100km at 120km/h

At average price of 15c/kWh ( no night rate ) it's 15x20 = €3.00/100km on the motorway

A diesel would be going very well to use 5 liters/100km at 120km/h

At average price of €1.30 a liter x 5 liters = €6.50

Savings are still substantial but if your spending €40 a week on diesel/petrol its no big deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

liamog wrote: »
    If you are charging on night rate its closer to €1.00/100km maybe €1.10.

That's key

€3.60/100 km electric,
    €5.00/100 km diesel.

That was a few years back. Things have changed since.

What maintenance is there on an electric vehicle i.e. servicing etc.

What maintenance is there on an electric vehicle i.e. servicing etc.

I get mine serviced yearly. Well last year they sent me video showing nothing wrong. Done some firmware updates and changed the brake oil....for no reason really....think it was 140 or so

This year, rang and I have to get "the big service" according to lady on phone. 300 quid....told her it was electric....120 :P...

I presume over the above, battery replacement if you go long term, other than that no different than a regular car. I presume that will be a longer time to change compared to the current batteries released a few years ago.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I presume over the above, battery replacement if you go long term, other than that no different than a regular car. I presume that will be a longer time to change compared to the current batteries released a few years ago.

So the first “I presume” is in regards battery and the battery should last the life of car....people have done nearly 200k in Nissan Leaf....

Second “I presume” I have no idea what the presumption is

• Advertisement

So the first “I presume” is in regards battery and the battery should last the life of car....people have done nearly 200k in Nissan Leaf...
    True but does the distance covered per charge not lower over time? Second, for some, not all, if the car is still grand, a new battery might be fine for some users rather than replacement.
    Second “I presume” I have no idea what the presumption is
    This was related to the distance per charge, which I could be wrong about but the new bigger batteries and newer cars far exceed what I need, so even with reductions in distance per charge Id get a helluva long time. At the minute a newer Kona would only come down to 50% on my longest trip.

I don't have an EV though so could be talking rubbish.

Advertisement