Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fluoride and drinking water

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

kneemos wrote: »
    The crap I've seen come out of my tap you'll forgive me if I pass.

Then you should contact Irish Water about it.
    They're on here, go and complain at their Talk to page.
    They can tell you what your water should be like for you location.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Godwined in OP…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Surely it would benefit dentists more if there wasn't fluoride in the water supply.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

It has been linked to lower IQs in a study if you do enough searching you kind find evidence to support some of his claims.

"In the present study, it was observed that IQ level was negatively correlated with fluoride concentration level in drinking water and it is highly significant (P < 0.0001)"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5285601/

But the way he is describing it does him no favours.

That "evidence" doesn't offer much support, sure the medium fluoride group have higher IQs than both the low and high fluoride groups. Plus they just picked three areas with high, medium and low fluoride and attribute any IQ differences to that, forgetting about other factors like socioeconomic status or quality of schooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

In Ireland like many other countries the chemical fluoride is added to the water which comes out of the taps in every home. Countless studies have shown fluoride in drinking water does not protect teeth. Also studies have shown a build up of fluoride in the bones over time leads to arthritis and bone cancers.

Fluoridation of water first began in 1939 in Germany when the Nazis used it to sedate the general population and make them more docile. The dental industry has lobbied greatly to get this in the water supply saying it is a harmless mineral that naturally occurs in the soil, but yet is imported from polluted sites in China. Is it time our government stops putting this chemical in the water supply?

Please link to your findings. Also please look up At the levels of natrually occurring levels of fluoride in European and other countries compared to Ireland.

• Advertisement

This whole flouride thing has echoes of the chemtriails waffle and is probably shared by both camps.

The ones who believe it are somehow magically protected from the effects that the rest of the population is experiencing unbeknown to themselves, being sedated, being a bit thick etc.

And therefore it behoves the ones unaffected by fluoride to be ringmasters to whip the affected ones out of their sedated state. Clowns the lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

*Reads OPs post history.

Yup, not worth the bother to refute...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Imagine this was all you had to do on Christmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

JMNolan wrote: »
    Can you cite peer reviewed sources for all of what you claim?

https://fluoridealert.org/issues/health/brain/

The above will bring you into hundreds of studies carried out showing the harmful effects of fluoride water has on the pineal gland, brain and organs of the body. But hey let's keep a closed mind and if anybody questions the worldview our mainstream media tells us, then we will throw insults, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Good paper here on the topic

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/ktoo/2018/12/BMC-Oral-Health-Consequences-of-community-water-fluoridation-cessation.pdf?_ga=2.236820680.859321409.1546349504-1101336106.1546349504

Removing fluoride from the water in Juneua, Alaska twelve years ago led to a significant increase in dental cavities, according to an analysis of Medicaid dental claims

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

JMNolan wrote: »
    Good paper here on the topic

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/ktoo/2018/12/BMC-Oral-Health-Consequences-of-community-water-fluoridation-cessation.pdf?_ga=2.236820680.859321409.1546349504-1101336106.1546349504

Removing fluoride from the water in Juneua, Alaska twelve years ago led to a significant increase in dental cavities, according to an analysis of Medicaid dental claims

Interesting independent studies discuss the harmful effects of fluoride has on the body and the non improvement of dental cavities. However government run studies such as the one above from Medicare and Medicaid brainwash us with false statistics of improvements in dental cavities from putting fluoride in the water supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,257 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Interesting independent studies discuss the harmful effects of fluoride has on the body and the non improvement of dental cavities. However government run studies such as the one above from Medicare and Medicaid brainwash us with false statistics of improvements in dental cavities from putting fluoride in the water supply.

Those studies were probably endorsed by the small number of dentists who think sugar is good for your teeth.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

I play it safe by drinking beer exclusively.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If this bothers people why don’t they just use filtered water or buy cheap bottled water.

Is there really a need to be ranting on about this crap all the time.

Just get on with life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Anyone not watching Bond will have their Quality Street confiscated and then shot.

Why would you shoot Quality Street ?!? :eek:

I know they don't taste as good as they used to , but they have no fluoride in them ?!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Quickpip

Lies dam lies and statistics. Im sure there are studies that will validate any belief you have, its really the quality of study that matters.
    On the question of fluoridation of the irish water supply, the decay rate for children is significantly higher in Northern Ireland than the Republic. In fact they are amongst the worst in Europe. Now given the diets and oral hygiene levels of the populations would be similar how do you account for that?
    Given that the benefits (at least for tooth decay) have been demonstrated and that the contra indications for using fluoridation have not been proven( pros vs cons) then the real issue of Fluoridation is really an ethical one i.e. the autonomy of our population.
    Its not fair saying well people should use bottled water/filtered etc as they may not have the financial ability to do that and also the supplied tap water has also been used to manufacture other foodstuffs.
    At this stage given the level of decay experienced in Northern Ireland with the resultant strain that puts on health services i would still be in favour of retaining the fluoridation but this may change as government policy changes towards sugar intake!
    Perhaps the paternalistic approach can be dispensed with?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

https://fluoridealert.org/issues/health/brain/

The above will bring you into hundreds of studies carried out showing the harmful effects of fluoride water has on the pineal gland, brain and organs of the body. But hey let's keep a closed mind and if anybody questions the worldview our mainstream media tells us, then we will throw insults, right?

Straight away the name of the site reassured me it's about a balanced view.........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

kneemos wrote: »
    Kitchen taps is safe,if generally disgusting.
    Bathroom taps comes from the attic tank,not so safe.

Both come from the same original source -public water mains (generally)....attic tank (especially as they age) tend to accumulate sediment and may not be the most healthy to drink from...but usually fine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

A lot of countries that no longer fluoridate their water have commercial enterprises running the water supply. Fluoridation is a cost to them, so removing this cost is in their interests. Who knows whether they are involved or not in the anti Fluoride movement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Women without Makeup

In Ireland like many other countries the chemical fluoride is added to the water which comes out of the taps in every home. Countless studies have shown fluoride in drinking water does not protect teeth. Also studies have shown a build up of fluoride in the bones over time leads to arthritis and bone cancers.

Fluoridation of water first began in 1939 in Germany when the Nazis used it to sedate the general population and make them more docile. The dental industry has lobbied greatly to get this in the water supply saying it is a harmless mineral that naturally occurs in the soil, but yet is imported from polluted sites in China. Is it time our government stops putting this chemical in the water supply?
    Maybe we've feel more entitled to complain about it if we were actually paying for our water.

• Advertisement

Ah Jim Corr, nice of you to join us.
    I'm really sure if it's a sort of Jim Corr conspiracy issue. I'm fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Where do you get your water?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Think it does protect teeth. Most concerns about fluoride aren't applicable at the levels in Irish tap water. It does accumulate in the pineal gland though and cause it to calcify, just like your teeth calcify. Unclear what tangible effect that has but I think it makes you find it harder to get to sleep.

dense wrote: »
    Bottled water contains twice as much grit and crap, otherwise known as "natural minerals", as tap water.

Bottled water is just a highly lucrative latter day marketing fad for those who are easily led.
    What it is with people needing to carry a bottle of water about all the time?
    Who told you that? You couldn't be more wrong. This guy tests bottled water at 1:50 in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztRzTsl4y7I

And tap water is even worse in our country since considering the ancient lead piping infrastructure.

And secondly there's no fluoride in bottled water.

Who told you that? You couldn't be more wrong. This guy tests bottled water at 1:50 in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztRzTsl4y7I

And tap water is even worse in our country since considering the ancient lead piping infrastructure.

And secondly there's no fluoride in bottled water.

That video is promoting distilled water.
    I didn't mention distilled water.

Mineral water is what I mentioned. The clue is in the name.
    Who said there was fluoride in bottled water?

Lead piping is a minor issue in this country and was used by those unwilling to pay water charges.

No water is supplied via mains lead pipes, it is not durable enough to withstand pressure, it is only in certain private properties, ie old houses where the incoming supply from the public mains is lead between the meter and sink. Any problems can be eliminated either by the homeowner replacing their lead piping or, simply letting the water run after standing in pipes before using it.

https://www.water.ie/support/questions-and-answers/lead-pipes-information-for-customers/

Mineral water is what I mentioned. The clue is in the name.
    You mentioned bottled water, and once again that guy tests bottled water at the 1:50 mark. It always has a lower ppm count than tap water.
    The thread is about avoiding fluoride, hence why I mentioned it. Since you almost implied that it's in bottled water too.

Why do you refer to natural minerals as grit and crap? Is what they put in not pure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

tea is very high in fluoride.

You mentioned bottled water, and once again that guy tests bottled water at the 1:50 mark. It always has a lower ppm count than tap water.

The thread is about avoiding fluoride, hence why I mentioned it. Since you almost implied that it's in bottled water too.

Why do you refer to natural minerals as grit and crap? Is what they put in not pure?

The guy tested one bloody bottle of water.
    It's hardly representative of the bottled water industry is it???

I said mineral water. You thought I said something else, that is all. It happens.

The guy tested one bloody bottle of water.
    It's hardly representative of the bottled water industry is it???
    Well at least it's more evidence than what your showing.
    I said mineral water. You thought I said something else, that is all. It happens.
    You said "bottled" water

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

tea is very high in fluoride.

And Hitler liked tea.

Advertisement