Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fluoride and drinking water

Options
  • 25-12-2018 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

In Ireland like many other countries the chemical fluoride is added to the water which comes out of the taps in every home. Countless studies have shown fluoride in drinking water does not protect teeth. Also studies have shown a build up of fluoride in the bones over time leads to arthritis and bone cancers.

Fluoridation of water first began in 1939 in Germany when the Nazis used it to sedate the general population and make them more docile. The dental industry has lobbied greatly to get this in the water supply saying it is a harmless mineral that naturally occurs in the soil, but yet is imported from polluted sites in China. Is it time our government stops putting this chemical in the water supply?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Of course! And they should start on Christmas Day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Ah Jim Corr, nice of you to join us.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,277 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

In Ireland like many other countries the chemical fluoride is added to the water which comes out of the taps in every home. Countless studies have shown fluoride in drinking water does not protect teeth. Also studies have shown a build up of fluoride in the bones over time leads to arthritis and bone cancers.

Fluoridation of water first began in 1939 in Germany when the Nazis used it to sedate the general population and make them more docile. The dental industry has lobbied greatly to get this in the water supply saying it is a harmless mineral that naturally occurs in the soil, but yet is imported from polluted sites in China. Is it time our government stops putting this chemical in the water supply?
    Gemma O Doherty is that you?
    I have some tinfoil left over from the turkey if you fancy it to build a hat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Can you cite peer reviewed sources for all of what you claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I'm not exactly clear on the end goal of the dental industry. Why are they pushing this agenda?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Only fourteen million people in Europe receive flouridated water out of a population of three quarters of a billion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoridation_by_country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

I suppose now that there is a thread on the topic, can someone tell me if flouride in the water is still really required?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

JMNolan wrote: »
    Can you cite peer reviewed sources for all of what you claim?

It has been linked to lower IQs in a study if you do enough searching you kind find evidence to support some of his claims.

"In the present study, it was observed that IQ level was negatively correlated with fluoride concentration level in drinking water and it is highly significant (P < 0.0001)"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5285601/

But the way he is describing it does him no favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'm not exactly clear on the end goal of the dental industry. Why are they pushing this agenda?

Dentists are really the illuminati.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

User name checks out.

• Advertisement

Ripper: Mandrake?
    Mandrake: Yes, Jack?
    Ripper: Have you ever seen a Commie drink a glass of water?
    Mandrake: Well, I can't say I have, Jack.
    Ripper: Vodka, that's what they drink, isn't it? Never water?
    Mandrake: Well, I-I believe that's what they drink, Jack, yes.
    Ripper: On no account will a Commie ever drink water, and not without good reason.
    Mandrake: Oh, eh, yes. I, uhm, can't quite see what you're getting at, Jack.
    Ripper: Water, that's what I'm getting at, water. Mandrake, water is the source of all life. Seven-tenths of this Earth's surface is water. Why, do you realize that 70 percent of you is water?
    Mandrake: Good Lord!
    Ripper: And as human beings, you and I need fresh, pure water to replenish our precious bodily fluids.
    Mandrake: Yes. (he begins to chuckle nervously)
    Ripper: Are you beginning to understand?
    Mandrake: Yes. (more laughter)
    Ripper: Mandrake. Mandrake, have you never wondered why I drink only distilled water, or rainwater, and only pure-grain alcohol?
    Mandrake: Well, it did occur to me, Jack, yes.
    Ripper: Have you ever heard of a thing called fluoridation. Fluoridation of water?
    Mandrake: Uh? Yes, I-I have heard of that, Jack, yes. Yes.
    Ripper: Well, do you know what it is?
    Mandrake: No, no I don't know what it is, no.
    Ripper: Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

Step 1: add flouride to water
    Step 3: $$profit$$

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Well the sedation didn't appear to work on those dirtbags in Tallaght who looted the Lidl.

Ramp it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Serious question.. is it safe to drink water straight from the tap?

I only ever use bottled water.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

It's about time we had another fluoride thread.

Kitchen taps is safe,if generally disgusting.
    Bathroom taps comes from the attic tank,not so safe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Do show us the peer reviewed research to support your claim OP.

Or maybe you won’t because there is none?

Eat a mince pie, watch A Dog’s Purpose and have a good cry OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Is it time our government stops putting this chemical in the water supply?

It's time to STFU, eat your fucking Quality Street and gear up for the Christmas episodes of EastEnders and Coronation Street. That's what time it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,455 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Seems like a pointless waste of money to me. Where is the cost benefit study on this?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

its true so very ttue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Fluoridation of water first began in 1939 in Germany when the Nazis used it to sedate the general population and make them more docile
    . The dental industry has lobbied greatly to get this in the water supply saying it is a harmless mineral that naturally occurs in the soil, but yet is imported from polluted sites in China. Is it time our government stops putting this chemical in the water supply?

The German's where eating crystal meth like it was going out of fashion in 1938. So they were actively encouraging people to take crystal meth and trying to sedate them at the same time, something doesn't add up.
    After Pervitin, a methamphetamine drug newly developed by the Berlin-based Temmler pharmaceutical company, first entered the civilian market in 1938, it quickly became a top seller among the German population.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

You realise a huge amoint of rural Ireland does not have flouride in their water.

Own wells
    Group schemes
    Small council schemes

Outside Dublin about 50% of council run extraction sites have no fluoride added.

Note these would all be the smaller sites so at a guess 20% of water users.

It's time to STFU, eat your fucking Quality Street and gear up for the Christmas episodes of EastEnders and Coronation Street. That's what time it is.

All non conformists will report to the Bureau of Official Realignment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 255 ✭✭PuppyMcPupFace

kneemos wrote: »
    All non conformists will report to the Bureau of Official Realignment.

Anyone not watching Bond will have their Quality Street confiscated and then shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

What a question.
    Where are you, India????

Bottled water contains twice as much grit and crap, otherwise known as "natural minerals", as tap water.

Bottled water is just a highy lucrative latter day marketing fad for those who are easily led.
    What it is with people needing to carry a bottle of water about all the time? You'd think they were living in the bloody Sahara.

Save your money.

dense wrote: »
    What a question.
    Where are you, India????

Bottled water contains twice as much grit and crap, otherwise known as "natural minerals", as tap water.

Bottled water is just a highy lucrative latter day marketing fad for those who are easily led.
    What it is with people needing to carry a bottle of water about all the time? You'd think they were living in the bloody Sahara.

Save your money.

Tap water smells like bleach and tastes gross.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Each source tastes differently.
    Each source will be treated differently to be safe to drink.

Galway city water tastes like muck.

Was in mitchelstown the other day. May as well have been ballygowan coming from the tap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

That's what my 7 year old says!
    Also similar to what most people say having their first alcoholic beverage or cigarette too I'd guess.
    They seem to persevere after getting used to it.

You're just looking for an excuse to carry around bottled water because you probably think it makes you look like you're into your wellbeing, can afford the odd personal treat, and are a bit keep fit and need regular hydrating. And you need to show it.

A marketer's dream.

Drink the fkin stuff out of the tap, it won't kill ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,065 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You can't beat a bottle of rain.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

dense wrote: »
    That's what my 7 year old says!
    Also similar to what most people say having their first alcoholic beverage or cigarette too I'd guess.
    They seem to persevere after getting used to it.

You're just looking for an excuse to carry around bottled water because you probably think it makes you look like you're into your wellbeing, can afford the odd personal treat, and are a bit keep fit and need regular hydrating. And you need to show it.

A marketer's dream.

Drink the fkin stuff out of the tap, it won't kill ya.

The crap I've seen come out of my tap you'll forgive me if I pass.

Advertisement