Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Asus, MSI, EVGA etc. earn their reputation by having better coolers, PCBs, reliability and/or customer service.

E.g. Palit Jetstream/GameRock are arguably one of the best coolers you can get for Nvidia - quiet & cool (due to being 2.5 slot).
    However if I were to buy myself... I'd probably pay extra for an EVGA.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

And it continues!! A big thanks to jebidiah who decided he couldn't wait just a few more hours and hit 10k just before midnight, the cad :D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

v3.0 is a better naming scheme.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Agreed, first thing I noticed was MK3 and thought ewh. Makes me think of my Ford :)

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Agreed, first thing I noticed was MK3 and thought ewh. Makes me think of my Ford :)

I also thought of a car but VW Golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

At the going rate it will be early 2023 by the time we hit 10k again in this one, wonder what hardware we will be discussing then!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

V3.0 RGB edition RTX enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭SickBoy

And patched for Spectre and Meltdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Happy new years folks.

Any recommendations for a mouse to use with a laptop for productivity stuff (rather than mobile gaming)? Something on the smaller/lighter side but still reasonably comfortable to use... At the moment I'm thinking about the Logitech MX Anywhere 2. Can I do better for the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

I was hoping for the 1.3 patch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Whats a decent internal 3TB or 4TB HDD brand these days?
    My old 1TB is full of photos and videos and looking for more space with something reliable.
    Games are on a SSD so speed isnt massively important.

Thanks in advance folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Redfox25 wrote:
    Whats a decent internal 3TB or 4TB HDD brand these days? My old 1TB is full of photos and videos and looking for more space with something reliable. Games are on a SSD so speed isnt massively important.

Liking the look of Seagate Ironwolf myself. Made for NAS but can work as "normal" drive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

in my gaming system, I've got 4 SSD's. 2 x 120gb and 2 x 250gb ones.
    Sometimes it's a pain in the hoop selecting where Steam can install..

Any downside to using Windows Storage Space and creating a simple pool?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

Yeah I was tempted to be a bit silly and name them all a bit differently from each other from now on but given that it generally takes 4 years to finish just one thread and given how quickly I've triggered everyone's OCD (including my own) it would end up the slowest and most forced running joke in the history of everything forever :o

in my gaming system, I've got 4 SSD's. 2 x 120gb and 2 x 250gb ones.
    Sometimes it's a pain in the hoop selecting where Steam can install..

Any downside to using Windows Storage Space and creating a simple pool?

Storage spaces would work but is a bit overcomplicated for what you're suggesting.
    You could always create Software raid 0 and get the benefit of the additional space and speed...

..as long as you don't intend to put mission critical data on the raid 0 of course

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I wouldnt. Given the sudden nature of SSD demise it'd be a right tit to recover a fail instead of just planning a little.

Many games really don't benefit much from SSD, I put most on spinning rust and just those that need it (Star Citizen say) on flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Alpha8

Found a good deal on some parts from CCL Computers. Anyone use them before?

Site : https://www.cclonline.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

CCL are legit as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

no issues with CCL, bought an NZXT S340 Elite case, no problems whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Leaks appearing for the Ryzen 3000 lineup. Mad to think that after nearly decade of normal desktop CPUs topping out at 4 core/8 thread, in the space of 2 years it may be going to 16 core/32 thread.

Big jump in a short space of time, great for those who can use the extra cores!

I'm still running a 3770, not sure I will be jumping anytime soon, unless Im doing more hydraulic modelling at home, which is about the only thing I run that would make use of an upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Leaks appearing for the Ryzen 3000 lineup. Mad to think that after nearly decade of normal desktop CPUs topping out at 4 core/8 thread, in the space of 2 years it may be going to 16 core/32 thread.

Big jump in a short space of time, great for those who can use the extra cores!

I'm still running a 3770, not sure I will be jumping anytime soon, unless Im doing more hydraulic modelling at home, which is about the only thing I run that would make use of an upgrade.

That 16c/32t R9 is nuts but for me, the Ryzen 7 3700X with 12c/24t @ 5GHZ is way more of a game changer. Just hope my Crosshair VII can handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

The 3700X is just nuts, if the specs are accurate.

I'm more interested in the design of the mainstream chips. We already seen the EPYC chiplet design so I cannot wait to see the 3000 series' one.

Like will the I/O die be separate like the EPYC or will it be integrated like the 1000 and 2000 series Ryzen.

Venom wrote: »
    That 16c/32t R9 is nuts but for me, the Ryzen 7 3700X with 12c/24t @ 5GHZ is way more of a game changer. Just hope my Crosshair VII can handle it.

Thinking the very same about my ROG Strix X470-F

Anyone here lucky enough to be running a Threadripper 2990WX there is a fix for performance issues that people thought was a memory issue due to using only quad channel.

https://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/125819-amd-ryzen-threadripper-2990wx-perf-boosted-2x-coreprio-tool/?fbclid=IwAR2srpyzIn2vhty8VT1TH-sdNt4aUL6591SYn1kQFm0i3UY-oslfyQJXO7E

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

and I've just pulled the trigger on an upgrade from my workhorse i5 2500k to a 1600X, B350 motherboard & 16gb ram for ~400€

I'll upgrade again in a few years time, damn my bang for buck ways!

Anyone else rocking a 1600(X) or eqv and a 1070?

I'm hoping my low framerates on newer titles were due to the 2500k struggling!

I think those Ryzen leaks were true. I didn't really believe the Russian leaks as I never heard of the website but Gigabyte just leaked this. Good bye Intels clock speed advantage.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachments/1546461554308-png.113901/

Actually I jumped before thinking. Afaik nobody seen the Gigabyte webpage that could be shopped. Hopefully it's true anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

papu wrote: »
    and I've just pulled the trigger on an upgrade from my workhorse i5 2500k to a 1600X, B350 motherboard & 16gb ram for ~400€

I'll upgrade again in a few years time, damn my bang for buck ways!

Anyone else rocking a 1600(X) or eqv and a 1070?

I'm hoping my low framerates on newer titles were due to the 2500k struggling!

I went from 2500k to R5 2600 and 580. To be honest I wanted to check both gpus on both cpus but in the end I was to anxious to build new pc. Im really surprised of how much the gaming experience improved.
    Now in Bf5 instead if jumping straight into new round have to wait for others to liax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

yoshiktk wrote: »
    I went from 2500k to R5 2600 and 580. To be honest I wanted to check both gpus on both cpus but in the end I was to anxious to build new pc. Im really surprised of how much the gaming experience improved.
    Now in Bf5 instead if jumping straight into new round have to wait for others to liax.

Yeah, I may do some comparative benchmarking of the 1070 with both CPUS for the hell of it. Have to wait for an AM4 adapter for my thermalright IFX-14.
    Hopefully it has no compatibility issues with the new board.
    That cooler, the Stacker 830 case and the corsair 620 are all 11 years old now!

Hopefully my PSU doesn't go pop with over a decade of work under it's belt!
    Anyone have a longer serving component in their system? actually quite worried about that PSU now lol

Advertisement