Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

From today (22 Dec), unaccompanied learner drivers can have their cars taken off them

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A tractor in general goes a lot slower

Yep. It's also mad that a 16-year-old can get a licence for a tractor before a car.

Why? Anyone getting a tractor licence at 16 is well able to drive most since they were single digit ages. Also the bit of driving the tractor on the road is normally the easiest part of what ever job you are doing the real challenges are using implements, loaders, working in tight spaces etc all of which many are doing long before reaching 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Why? Anyone getting a tractor licence at 16 is well able to drive most since they were single digit ages. Also the bit of driving the tractor on the road is normally the easiest part of what ever job you are doing the real challenges are using implements, loaders, working in tight spaces etc all of which many are doing long before reaching 16.

Not anyone just some.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,039 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Can you still drive a Land Rover on a 'tractor' licence if it has a PTO?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Esel wrote: »
    Can you still drive a Land Rover on a 'tractor' licence if it has a PTO?

I believe that still works, however the cost of a defender and a PTO kit would stop the majority of them id imagine.

Also its been purely a rural phenomenon which is fine, one lad in dublin does it and that would be closed so quickly.

• Advertisement

To all the people saying 'well others did it back in the day' , yeah, people drove round with 5 pints in them too, it was ok then but we realise its causing problems and its not ok now.

I have no sympathy for these 'but how can I get the kids to school' or 'little billy just got a job, how is he to get to work' You either go through the test and get it or you find another way to travel your necessary routes. If you havent nailed it by your 3rd provisional id suggest just moving closer to the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭corks finest

To all the people saying 'well others did it back in the day' , yeah, people drove round with 5 pints in them too, it was ok then but we realise its causing problems and its not ok now.

I have no sympathy for these 'but how can I get the kids to school' or 'little billy just got a job, how is he to get to work' You either go through the test and get it or you find another way to travel your necessary routes. If you havent nailed it by your 3rd provisional id suggest just moving closer to the thing.
    Correct

I believe that still works, however the cost of a defender and a PTO kit would stop the majority of them id imagine.

Also its been purely a rural phenomenon which is fine, one lad in dublin does it and that would be closed so quickly.
    The one I knew of was rural and a 1970s model. I was told the PTO-equipped ones were rare.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mikeecho wrote: »
    ... and only applied to those already on the waiting list who were on a second or subsequent provisional licence, not anyone on a first provisional..
    I open to correction mikeecho but I'm pretty sure when Sylvie Barrett introduced that scheme it was only available to those on a second provisional licence in category C (now category B) but not for third and subsequent provisional licence as it was only legal to drive unaccompanied on a second provisional. It didn't apply to any other categories either.

It was also introduced retrospectively i.e. he made the announcement in October relating to application in on the previous March.

(The 3 year waiting list and the 8 month postal strike was one of the reasons it was introduced as it caused havoc with tests when few had telephones)

mikeecho wrote: »
    Correct, it was an amnesty in 1979.

Only those that had applied for a driving test, were automatically given a full licence. , due to the insane waiting times.

Anyone who hadn't applied.. it was tough luck.

It was announced overnight, and only applied to those already on the waiting list who were on a second or subsequent provisional licence, not anyone on a first provisional.

So not everyone got a free licence.
    It's time to move on.

That and the vast majority of people who would have gotten a licence on that scheme are now almost retired or retired , so not usually a threat to the roads in a continuing daily / nightly basis. Pretty much all of them will have their licences taken off them in less than 20 years, This is realistically a tiny issue in irish motoring safety

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Agreed. Like nox, I learned to drive very young. As I a result I was a very mechanically competent driver, but because I learned to drive on the fields, I wasn’t road aware. I was out unaccompanied as soon as I was 17. I was an eejit and made some stupid mistakes. The flush of youth, your first car, driving fast on country roads and all that. And I’m able to hold my hands up and admit it.

We need to stop thinking of individual cases, and think of the best way overall. We also need to stop living in the glory days of the past. Learner drivers need to be restricted until they prove their competency,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I have seen many L platers today on their own wobbling about, even on the M50. They have no fear! I have a Dash Cam with a few really wobbly ones, would these qualify for the dash cam thread or would I be a smart arse publishing them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

I have seen many L platers today on their own wobbling about, even on the M50. They have no fear! I have a Dash Cam with a few really wobbly ones, would these qualify for the dash cam thread or would I be a smart arse publishing them ?

A car with an L plate might not necessarily be driven by a learner, e.g. my dad has L plates for when my sisters practice in his car, but he's been driving 50 odd years. And he could easily be seen wobbling all over the M50 himself :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Cash_Q wrote:
    A car with an L plate might not necessarily be driven by a learner, e.g. my dad has L plates for when my sisters practice in his car, but he's been driving 50 odd years. And he could easily be seen wobbling all over the M50 himself

No excuse. My belief is anyone on a motorway displaying L plates should be flogged and have their tyres shredded.

Cash_Q wrote:
    A car with an L plate might not necessarily be driven by a learner, e.g. my dad has L plates for when my sisters practice in his car, but he's been driving 50 odd years. And he could easily be seen wobbling all over the M50 himself

No excuse. My belief is anyone on a motorway displaying L plates should be flogged and have their tyres shredded.
    By law you have to take them down if not in use by a learner? Open to correction

By law you have to take them down if not in use by a learner? Open to correction
    I heard that too. I'd say getting in trouble for it would be rare though. The plates are easily attachable and detachable for a reason.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Never heard of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Well is it illegal for a qualified driver to fit L plates? If there is nothing in the law that states fully licensed drivers cannot use L plates then nothing can be enforced, I guess.

There is no law against me walking around with crutches even though I don't have a broken leg.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Well is it illegal for a qualified driver to fit L plates? If there is nothing in the law that states fully licensed drivers cannot use L plates then nothing can be enforced, I guess.

There is no law against me walking around with crutches even though I don't have a broken leg.

What are you on about? I dont see how that'll be problematic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Its only a requirment for someone with a learners permit. Doesn't mean that it must be taken off when driven by someone who isn't on a learners permit.

• Advertisement

Just focus on your driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Obviously the reason is to show other drivers the level of competence of the person driving. Would you get on a bus that had a 'L' plate displayed, or would you assume the driver was qualified and just put the plate up for the hell of it !

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭atticu

P_1 wrote: »
    Enforcing this law while theres still a massive waiting list for tests is idiotic.

Where are the resources for bringing in more testing centers and more testers?

There might be a massive waiting list, but the average waiting time is ten weeks.

So, you book your test eight weeks before your eighteenth birthday, and you should get a date in the first few weeks after turning eighteen.

Where is the problem?

swarlb wrote: »

Obviously the reason is to show other drivers the level of competence of the person driving. Would you get on a bus that had a 'L' plate displayed, or would you assume the driver was qualified and just put the plate up for the hell of it !
    Correct, amazing some ppl here can't grasp that concept,no wonder we're in the state we're in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Fair enough. It had to happen.

But I hope there's not too much happy clapping given that I presume a large amount of people posting here did just that back in the day.

Might help explain the appalling drivers on our roads today....

At least if learners now learn the basic rules, there is hope for the future.
    (And the garda now have in the meantime the power to get more law breakers off the road if they don't comply)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

I have no idea why it bothers people if a qualified driver has L places if they share a car. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to have to put them on and off.

I have no idea why it bothers people if a qualified driver has L places if they share a car. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to have to put them on and off.

Have to say I’d agree with this, I don’t think it’s a big deal leaving them up. Worse case some people take extra care around them or a gaurd pulls them over and sends them on their way when they show their full license.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

salmocab wrote: »
    Have to say I’d agree with this, I don’t think it’s a big deal leaving them up. Worse case some people take extra care around them or a gaurd pulls them over and sends them on their way when they show their full license.

It’s just a bit of extra clarity... no ambiguity which may otherwise exist. I guess sometimes people don’t give the extra space/patience required because they assume the L plates may be related to another driver. But do you really ever know?
    By removing them each time it removes doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

I had my full licence at 17 & 7 months, always drove around unaccompanied. (Wasn't as strict in 2012 so I risked it). I know a lot of people that could accompany learner drivers that shouldn't be allowed near a steering wheel themselves, so I completely disagree with this idiot Irish law. As said by previous posters it should be done like other countries where one isn't let out on the road until they have a licence. No need for any enforcement then! Not likely that it will be enforced anyway. :pac:

• Advertisement

I had my full licence at 17 & 7 months, always drove around unaccompanied. (Wasn't as strict in 2012 so I risked it). I know a lot of people that could accompany learner drivers that shouldn't be allowed near a steering wheel themselves, so I completely disagree with this idiot Irish law. As said by previous posters it should be done like other countries where one isn't let out on the road until they have a licence. No need for any enforcement then! Not likely that it will be enforced anyway. :pac:

I’m not sure I can understand your post you disagree with this law but think we should what other countries do? Other countries are far tighter on these things than we are.

Advertisement