Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

From today (22 Dec), unaccompanied learner drivers can have their cars taken off them

Options
  • 22-12-2018 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1221/1018580-learner-drivers/

Few different news reports, but new laws came in to place this morning allowing the Gardai to impound cars where the driver doesn't hold a full licence and isn't accompanied by a relevant qualified driver.

Also allows for fines against the owner of the vehicle if they allow an unaccompanied learner to drive the car.

Not before time and I hope its something that the Gardai actually enforce.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Fair enough. It had to happen.

But I hope there's not too much happy clapping given that I presume a large amount of people posting here did just that back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

But I hope there's not too much happy clapping given that I presume a large amount of people posting here did just that back in the day.

Agree,such hypocrites on here.
    I’m after gettin my license last week.....no unaccompanied learner drivers should be allowed on the road from now on.Discrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭highdef

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    I’m after gettin my license last week.....no unaccompanied learner drivers should be allowed on the road from now on.Discrace!

I for one never drove on my own without a qualified driver when on my provisional licence and that was 18 years ago. Only had my provisional licence for about twelve weeks as I applied for the test early on. Passed that and have been fully licensed since.

There's no excuse for those people who are provisionally licensed for years. If someone continues to fail their divers test time after time over a matter of years, then it should be a case that the person is simply unable to grasp the ability to drive properly. It's those people that are on provisional licences for those extended period of time that will hopefully get the full impact of the new laws applied to them.

The less unqualified divers on the road, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

I hope they test all those people who got a full license just by applying years ago and never had a single lesson or test in their life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

They never enforced it back in the day which was happy days, but hopefully they do now though. Younger people are different now anyway and need to be policed harder.

Though, as with a lot of these things, upping all these punishments seems strange when all they ever needed to do was enforce the laws that already existed in the first place. They're just trying to deter people with a harsher penalty to save having to bother enforcing it all over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭jmreire

Of course...there was no other way.....bought your provisional licence,you took some lessons, ( in most cases from a friend ) and off you go, Back in those day's it has to be said that the road's were not carrying as much traffic as they are nowadays, but that day has now gone.It seems that retired people wil be given a new lease of life...and brought back into action accompanying provisional licence holders until they pass the test. And they will have to increase the Nr of tester,,,,,and shorten the waiting lists.

BENDYBINN wrote: »

Exactly !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I wasn’t let !!

It spurred me on to get my full license so I got a letter of urgency and somehow jammied my way through the test shortly after turning 17.

I drove like an arsehole for a few years after that though.. Had more then a few lucky escapes.. looking back I was nowhere near mature enough to be driving on my own.

R.O.R wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1221/1018580-learner-drivers/

Few different news reports, but new laws came in to place this morning allowing the Gardai to impound cars where the driver doesn't hold a full licence and isn't accompanied by a relevant qualified driver.

Also allows for fines against the owner of the vehicle if they allow an unaccompanied learner to drive the car.

Not before time and I hope its something that the Gardai actually enforce.
    In our local secondary school, on the perimeter of the sports field, they have a driver training track, pupils are able to prepare for the test, and can apply for a test as soon as they are old enough.This would be the ideal way to go....and not when you have just started your 1st job, and need a car to get to work, which now means getting a qualified driver to sit beside you...and not everyone has a family member or friend who can do this. Means that some one will have to be paid....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Didn't come soon enough....well it did...20 years after I got my licence having driven for a year to get experience.

Let's just hope it's enforced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

This probably won't make a huge difference in reality. Those that will be caught will probably be the ones we see in the Twitter thread who are seen speeding or on the phone then later found to have no insurance, license, unaccompanied etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭highdef

Didn't come soon enough....well it did...20 years after I got my licence having driven for a year to get experience.

Let's just hope it's enforced

Woohoo, someone who can spell "licence" correctly, when referring to it as a noun 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I did my driver learning in Germany. Absolutely no one is allowed drive alone until the test is passed
    First a theory test in a licenced driving school then at least 10 ( not quite sure on number ) lesson in dual controlled driving school car . Then the teacher can recommend you do the test when he feels you are ready . That could be more than 10 or even up to 20 .
    Lessons are regulated with a certain amount in the dark , on motorway , in rush hour traffic etc
    So it should be here to in my opinion

DaveyDave wrote: »
    This probably won't make a huge difference in reality. Those that will be caught will probably be the ones we see in the Twitter thread who are seen speeding or on the phone then later found to have no insurance, license, unaccompanied etc.

Yes thats true Davey....no amount of law or regulation wil change these people, But for the rest of the civilised world,if the provisional driver owns the car, and it is confiscaed, thats his/her problem, but if it's owned by some one else...that's a different kettle of fish, and for sure, that will make people think twice, loss of car, legal penalties,,,,etc.!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ninthlife wrote: »
    I hope they test all those people who got a full license just by applying years ago and never had a single lesson or test in their life
    That last happened in the seventies, so 40 or so years ago. Get over it!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Esel wrote: »

Correct, it was an amnesty in 1979.

Only those that had applied for a driving test, were automatically given a full licence. , due to the insane waiting times.

Anyone who hadn't applied.. it was tough luck.

It was announced overnight, and only applied to those already on the waiting list who were on a second or subsequent provisional licence, not anyone on a first provisional.

So not everyone got a free licence.
    It's time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I drove for a year or so on my provisional 20 years ago and happy this is coming in, looking back I certainly shouldn’t have been allowed drive as I wasn’t ready for it.
    Driving needs to be seen as a privelege not a right.

No.

People are very quick to vilify learner drivers and blame them for all ths ills on the road when we have an awful lot of drivers who have never once read the rules of the road or had an official lesson yet have a full license

They are just as much a liability as learner drivers

I agree with the new legislation btw, just feel younger newer drivers have it alot harder than others and people seem to revel in it

March 16th, 1964 was the last day you could "Buy" a licence, after that it involved a driving test. I knew an elderly lady neighbour, who got a Licence just before the test became law.....technically and legally, as it was a full licence, she could drive anything from a mini to an Artic, or a 57 seat coach !! To this day, I dont believe she ever sat behind a wheel.....:)

Exactly, I only had an accompanied driver when on a provisional if the person with the full license happened to be going with me anyway, in fact my parents very much believed in letting us drive alone and encouraged it as they felt it’s only whe driving alone that you really get get comfortable with driving etc. I’d be inclined to agree with them and myself and my sibling all passed first time easily. We could all drive long before getting licences too.

• Advertisement

No.

People are very quick to vilify learner drivers and blame them for all ths ills on the road when we have an awful lot of drivers who have never once read the rules of the road or had an official lesson yet have a full license

No, most drivers you'd see causing issues would fall into the under 60 bracket. You're not going to get the licences taken off them anyway so you may get on with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Unfortunately, we know like lots of other things it won't be enforced.

Red light runners, cretins texting or on hand held phones while driving - all a bit more urgent to deal with i would have thought.

edit** Middle lane hoggers too.

Was it every true that you could drive on the second provisional on your own or was that another like the "two weeks grace" car tax thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Have they introduced a fine for displaying a L plate when you are not a learner? This is a necessity as it would then make it easier to target such vehicles with one driver. They should also use the ANPR readers to identify vehicles insured for L drivers and especially those owned by L drivers

spurious wrote: »
    Unfortunately, we know like lots of other things it won't be enforced.

Red light runners, cretins texting or on hand held phones while driving - all a bit more urgent to deal with i would have thought.

edit** Middle lane hoggers too.

They'll never hit the lane hoggers but at least they're hitting the speeding harder now and hopefully phone users will follow. All this needs to be enforced properly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭mikeecho

No.

I agree with the new legislation btw, just feel younger newer drivers have it alot harder than others and people seem to revel in it

The driving test was introduced in 1964, before that you just paid for it.
    So in 1964, you'd have to have been 17/18 to get a, licence for Just a fee, so that would make you 72 now.

Prior to 1964 not everone would have had access to cars, so wouldn't have had the need to even apply for a licence.

I don't believe that there is a large amount if drivers out there that have never sat a test.

Patww79 wrote: »
    No, most drivers you'd see causing issues would fall into the under 60 bracket. You're not going to get the licences taken off them anyway so you may get on with it.

Im not looking to have licenses revoked.

Its extremely difficult for a young or maybe not so young person to drive. 12 module lessons , be accompanied everytime they drive then pass the test and for the first 2 years be accompanied also.

mikeecho wrote: »
    The driving test was introduced in 1964, before that you just paid for it.
    So in 1964, you'd have to have been 17/18 to get a, licence for Just a fee, so that would make you 72 now.

Prior to 1964 not everone would have had access to cars, so wouldn't have had the need to even apply for a licence.

I don't believe that there is a large amount if drivers out there that have never sat a test.

I feel old now when its broken down like that :p

Im not looking to have licenses revoked.

Its extremely difficult for a young or maybe not so young person to drive. 12 module lessons , be accompanied everytime they drive then pass the test and for the first 2 years be accompanied also.

Still better than letting them loose on the road alone with no lessons though.

That said it's not really fair and just another example of something not being done right in this country, but instead of fixing it it's just used to make money off.

_

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

I know plenty of L plate drivers who drive around unaccompanied.

Ive seen a few on the motorways aswell even though they are not allowed.

And ive seen people in yellow reg cars with L plates around Co.Cork.

Advertisement