Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billy McCarthy RIP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

WLR having a 'mare today. Or maybe it's just Eamon Keane.

Yeah heard that myself. Signal went , sound was fuzzy and volume lowered

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

No offence wlr is a **** station and he was a was a waste of space

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

If some people think WLR is such a terrible station, why do they listen to it?

& if it's that bad why not change over to whatever station ye think is better.

or is it just negativity for the sake of it?

I quite enjoy WLR's sports coverage. Matt Keane & Gavin Whelan are very good.

Theresanne O'Reilly is very good in the evenings & also Maria McCann at weekends & I thought Eaman Keane was quite good on Deise AM.

They are no worse than any other local station around and better than some.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭91wx763

er1983 wrote: »

Their Dungarvan ISDN studio connection is always giving trouble.

Their tech stuff has been rubbish for years. Probably since "Trick of the Tail" of these boards stopped being involved..........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭thesultan

comeraghs wrote: »

Theresanne O'Reilly is very good in the evenings & also Maria McCann at weekends & I thought Eaman Keane was quite good on Deise AM.

Everyone seems overly negative about stuff nowadays. I quiet enjoy listening to the station. I like theresanne's show as he strays from the saturated pop and plays some decent music

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Oh yeah, I forgot their sports coverage, which is also very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I dont know what people expect or want from WLR its a local radio station in Waterford and it does what its supposed to do,Ray Coughlin and John O'Shea are good in the evenings too,at the end of the day if you dont like whats on it just turn it off and put on whatever station you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Bar some awful presenters like Ollie and Rick Whelan, WLRFM does give good local news and Maria Macann is very good on Saturday.

Beat FM is easily the worst radio station out there, due to their unrelenting insistence on hiring Jobbridge staff who don't know their ar*e from their elbow when they read out the news, absolutely woeful quality and usually some 18yr old spluttering and stammering over their words, its actually so distracting I often cant remember a single word they said such is their stupidity. Give them a test run before letting them on the air because they are crap with a capital C. Not to mention the Breakfast Show-Niall and Vinny still talking about teen issues and they both nearly 40, embarrassing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

91wx763 wrote: »
    Their Dungarvan ISDN studio connection is always giving trouble.

Their tech stuff has been rubbish for years. Probably since "Trick of the Tail" of these boards stopped being involved..........:D

Is that you Trick? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Bar some awful presenters like Ollie and Rick Whelan, WLRFM does give good local news and Maria Macann is very good on Saturday.

Beat FM is easily the worst radio station out there, due to their unrelenting insistence on hiring Jobbridge staff who don't know their ar*e from their elbow when they read out the news, absolutely woeful quality and usually some 18yr old spluttering and stammering over their words, its actually so distracting I often cant remember a single word they said such is their stupidity. Give them a test run before letting them on the air because they are crap with a capital C. Not to mention the Breakfast Show-Niall and Vinny still talking about teen issues and they both nearly 40, embarrassing!

For a youth channel, having the same breakfast hosts and exact same formula for over 10 years is tiring. Look at Spin 103.8 and they rotate their breakfast presenters every 2 to 3 years - using those which have been blooded in from late evening slots. But currently on Beat you have the 2 lads of breakfast, Andy McCloskey on between 4-7, hogging 2 of the biggest slots you can get in radio. No wonder others have left Beat like Emma Nolan, Terasanne, Luke F while others stay there for a lifetime and not giving others an opportunity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Didn't you know we're not allowed to have nice things or enjoy anything.

WLRFM was set up when RTÉ had the monopoly over radio and the there were no licenses giving out. They jumped in when the time is right.They provide an invaluable service the the local community. The lions appeal raises thousands every year.

There's no constructive criticism from of the posts it's just "X is ****" no reasons givien.

iseegirls wrote: »
    For a youth channel, having the same breakfast hosts and exact same formula for over 10 years is tiring. Look at Spin 103.8 and they rotate their breakfast presenters every 2 to 3 years - using those which have been blooded in from late evening slots. But currently on Beat you have the 2 lads of breakfast, Andy McCloskey on between 4-7, hogging 2 of the biggest slots you can get in radio. No wonder others have left Beat like Emma Nolan, Terasanne, Luke F while others stay there for a lifetime and not giving others an opportunity

Mary O Neill saw sense to leave as well before she was well and truly typecast with those other 2 eejits on the breakfast show- she was actually funny when the breakfast show started but she left for a better gig before the format got stale. You are right, the other lads are just coasting. To listen to them you would swear they were about 18 or 19. The whole station has become stale, no attempt at anything different, same old same old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Gardner

and that was a broadcast on behalf of WLRFM

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It is difficult to know exactly what you mean by this.

It reads as if you mean that people should leave their jobs so that others might get an opportunity to work at that same job ...... which would be a very strange (to me) concept.

It reads as if you mean that people should leave their jobs so that others might get an opportunity to work at that same job ...... which would be a very strange (to me) concept.

I think what they mean is beat is ****e and it needs a new format,in radio or other media they wouldn't be leaving their job just stepping aside to give someone else a chance.

I think what they mean is beat is ****e and it needs a new format,in radio or other media they wouldn't be leaving their job just stepping aside to give someone else a chance.

Surely that is up to the radio station owner/whoever rather than the presenter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Not talking about leaving their jobs, they can easily move into different slots across the day, but they've been hogging the same and biggest slots on radio which means talented presenters and djs which they've built up to go to other stations bacuse they've no hope of getting those main slots. Niall Power is head of music there, so he's prob governor there, and wouldn't budge anyway.

For a youth station, having the same breakfast presenters for 11 or so years, with the same daily dilemma, same quiz in exactly the same position every day is beyond tiring and lazy from the team. They're out of touch with what their target audience should be now.

Not talking about leaving their jobs, they can easily move into different slots across the day, but they've been hogging the same and biggest slots on radio which means talented presenters and djs which they've built up to go to other stations bacuse they've no hope of getting those main slots. Niall Power is head of music there, so he's prob governor there, and wouldn't budge anyway.

For a youth station, having the same breakfast presenters for 11 or so years, with the same daily dilemma, same quiz in exactly the same position every day is beyond tiring and lazy from the team. They're out of touch with what their target audience should be now.

So it is more that 'others' are left there, in the same slots for years, by whoever is in charge, rather than anyone staying put and preventing others from opportunities.

No doubt, radio stations, like other services, can benefit greatly from a 'shake up' ...... but if the gov. is not prepared to do so then there is not a lot others can do. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭91wx763

er1983 wrote: »
    So it is more that 'others' are left there, in the same slots for years, by whoever is in charge, rather than anyone staying put and preventing others from opportunities.

No doubt, radio stations, like other services, can benefit greatly from a 'shake up' ...... but if the gov. is not prepared to do so then there is not a lot others can do. :(

So basically we put up with the same old dross that's been going on since 1989.

Sameish presenters blustering along. Timmy who was a saving grace is making gin and Geoff who goes on forever as a "hero" because he worked for RTE for 2 months in 1981 still incoherently rambles along..........

But we pat ourselves on the back when the JNLR figures come as in traditional Billy (RIP) style. But it's more noise than substance. Lies and statistics as someone once said.......

But this scoundrel Eamonn bloke on Deise "today" shows up and immediately doesn't conform to the usual big deal about the old school ways.

In his tenure the establishment has been challenged, the GAA, the HSE, Sinn Fein, (and he should have been harder on Deasy and Butler but I reckon Des told him off).

So cheerio Eamonn.

And welcome back to where we were. 1989 anyone...........

Is Des Whelan Ricks father? That's a handy number for him if so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

91wx763 wrote: »
    So basically we put up with the same old dross that's been going on since 1989.

Sameish presenters blustering along. Timmy who was a saving grace is making gin and Geoff who goes on forever as a "hero" because he worked for RTE for 2 months in 1981 still incoherently rambles along..........

But we pat ourselves on the back when the JNLR figures come as in traditional Billy (RIP) style. But it's more noise than substance. Lies and statistics as someone once said.......

But this scoundrel Eamonn bloke on Deise "today" shows up and immediately doesn't conform to the usual big deal about the old school ways.

In his tenure the establishment has been challenged, the GAA, the HSE, Sinn Fein, (and he should have been harder on Deasy and Butler but I reckon Des told him off).

So cheerio Eamonn.

And welcome back to where we were. 1989 anyone...........

I'm sure you've something lined up Eamonn! :p

A complete change is needed, not just moving around the chairs on deck....
    P45's all around and award the license to some new, young, fresh blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

Is Des Whelan Ricks father? That's a handy number for him if so.

Brothers

aziz wrote: »
    Brothers

Ah. Job for life so, I wondered how he got away with that crap slot he has for so long. Mystery solved!

Ah. Job for life so, I wondered how he got away with that crap slot he has for so long. Mystery solved!

Rick Whelan is the founder of WLR he set it up as a pirate station in 1978 hes been there since day one,and played the first song when it was licenced in 1989,you might not like him but a lot of people do like myself he's plays a good mix of music.

Rick Whelan is the founder of WLR he set it up as a pirate station in 1978 hes been there since day one,and played the first song when it was licenced in 1989,you might not like him but a lot of people do like myself he's plays a good mix of music.

Fair enough, we have to agree to differ on that one. I think hes very scattered in his presentation, and he has a very annoying habit of cutting songs 30 seconds before they end.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Damien Tiernan left RTE today after 23 years. Taking over from Eamon Keane on WLR perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Teebor15 wrote: »
    Damien Tiernan left RTE today after 23 years. Taking over from Eamon Keane on WLR perhaps?

Damien is a great journalist. I like his style

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Just checking, Billy McCarthy is still dead, yeah?

Just checking, Billy McCarthy is still dead, yeah?

Yep, this discussion is about who has the balls to ask local representatives some tough questions. Timmy Ryan? Absolutely not. Liz Reddy? Nope. Eamonn Keane will be a loss in that sense, he didn't peddle to local politicians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭thesultan

Any news on who is taking over?

Advertisement