Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billy McCarthy RIP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Laken Dara

jimmyw wrote: »
    His last broadcast two weeks ago.

https://soundcloud.com/wlrfmwaterford/deise-am-7-nov-2016

He didn't always appreciate other peoples opinions I thought, but alot of Waterfordians loved him, so he had a biggish following.

A bloody shock to a lot of people though.RIP.

His last programme,and one of the last subjects talked about was guardian angels.May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

Bumping an old thread due to relevance, Eamonn Keane is to finish Deise AM at end of December. There were whispers that the WLR hierachy didn't like his style, too confrontational and nowhere near as conservative as Billy. Did he get poked ? Judging by his denials of same today there might be a bit of truth in the rumour......

Moving on, who's next in line to the throne ? Not Maria Macann.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Eamon Keane is bloody terrible - he was awful on the Newstalk lunchtime show and I'm sure pants on Radio Kerry. He is faux confrontational, hard talk when his target isn't in front of him but obsequious when doing a face to face in the studio or down the line. The woman who stands in for him is pretty decent or the Business Desk presenter would be my picks from within WLR. His technique is very poor as well - you can hear every moist breath and splutter. I'd say listening through headphones is most unpleasant! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Muttley79

From an insider his a very hard man to work with,he has a huge ego about himself his ringing in to wlr at the last minute saying he won’t make it to his own show,takes holidays whenever he wants without notification,is constantly over running his show with talking and cutting out adds that wlr rely on for revenue.he should have never got the gig to start off with.hopefully they find somebody much better

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

God I couldn't bear listening to that man. Obsessed with the GAA, practically every programme was taken up in someway with a discussion about it.

Always making mistakes with links and hitting wrong buttons etc.

He wont be missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Muttley79 wrote: »
    From an insider his a very hard man to work with,he has a huge ego about himself his ringing in to wlr at the last minute saying he won’t make it to his own show,takes holidays whenever he wants without notification,is constantly over running his show with talking and cutting out adds that wlr rely on for revenue.he should have never got the gig to start off with.hopefully they find somebody much better

I heard the exact same thing about Liz Reddy as well, that she is supposed to be full of herself and a big ego, I don't know how a mere radio newsreader gets a big head but there you go, its a weird world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Completely agree with all the above posts!
    McCarthy was no good, the guy who followed him wasn't up to much either
    but just to be fashionable they'll put a feminine presenter in the hot seat!

Things though have unfortunately changed in broadcasting where now you
    can't appear to be confrontational anymore but you are there to deliver a well
    balanced diet of opinion from those you are interviewing without crossing that
    line! In other words you have to be ultra PC and not upset anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Completely agree with all the above posts!
    McCarthy was no good, the guy who followed him wasn't up to much either
    but just to be fashionable they'll put a feminine presenter in the hot seat!

Things though have unfortunately changed in broadcasting where now you
    can't appear to be confrontational anymore but you are there to deliver a well
    balanced diet of opinion from those you are interviewing without crossing that
    line! In other words you have to be ultra PC and not upset anyone!

To be honest, I hardly ever listen to local radio but one part of the above caught my eye. I have no idea what woman they might hire or if she'd be any good but it's hardly fair to suggest that if a woman is hired for the job that they'd only be doing it to be fashionable. Perhaps they might think that she'd do a decent job and be worth a chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hehehehehehehehe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Maybe Ian Noctor? Haven't seen him since TV3 rebranded Sunday AM into Weekend AM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

iseegirls wrote:
    Maybe Ian Noctor? Haven't seen him since TV3 rebranded Sunday AM into Weekend AM.

Where did he disappear to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭thesultan

iseegirls wrote: »
    I liked him on that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I heard the exact same thing about Liz Reddy as well, that she is supposed to be full of herself and a big ego, I don't know how a mere radio newsreader gets a big head but there you go, its a weird world.

To be fair afaik she is more than just the news reader in fact i think she is the editor or something of the likes. She is poor at reading the news all the same. Iv never heard a broadcaster stumble over something as much as she does.

I dont really listen to WLR but when i am exposed to it (in work) the worst iv heard is Eamon Keane and Geoff Harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Gardner

alta stare wrote: »
    To be fair afaik she is more than just the news reader in fact i think she is the editor or something of the likes. She is poor at reading the news all the same. Iv never heard a broadcaster stumble over something as much as she does.

I dont really listen to WLR but when i am exposed to it (in work) the worst iv heard is Eamon Keane and Geoff Harris.

Oliver Carroll and his fake ****ing voice is the worst. :mad:

gave up listening to WLR years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

iseegirls wrote: »

Works for a multinational media company. https://uk.linkedin.com/in/iannoctor

WLR couldn't afford him.

Gardner wrote: »
    Oliver Carroll and his fake ****ing voice is the worst. :mad:

gave up listening to WLR years ago

I know Ollie and that voice isnt fake. One of the nicests guys you could ever meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

alta stare wrote: »
    I know Ollie and that voice isnt fake. One of the nicests guys you could ever meet.

Its a very very odd voice though, where on earth is he from with an accent like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

probably be another bland D4 voice (teresanne oreilly-alike )

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Its a very very odd voice though, where on earth is he from with an accent like that?

Yeh i was in pub one night and i could hear his voice just presumed radio was on until he came up to order a pint. Crazy voice.

Yeah it is an odd one alright. Still tho he is a nice guy so i wish him the best no matter what accent he has :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Is WLR still a thing?

Ollie is a gent, in the real sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,702 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

greenspurs wrote: »
    probably be another bland D4 voice (teresanne oreilly-alike )

She's not bad looking tbf

PTH2009 wrote: »

does that matter if you are (or are not) listening to her on a radio .....? :rolleyes:

PTH2009 wrote: »

She is a good looking woman alright. Didnt she have a stint on Today fm? I would of thought she would be a success on national radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

This has gone from a thread about the passing of Billy McCarthy to a verbal conversation about WLR. Perhaps a mod could separate the threads?

Anyway, I don't listen to much of deise am, so can't comment on the presenter.
    I do like The Shift, on at 7pm. A pretty eclectic mix of music for a local/regional station; and The Green Scene is one of the better Irish music shows I've come across.

noby wrote: »
    This has gone from a thread about the passing of Billy McCarthy to a verbal conversation about WLR. Perhaps a mod could separate the threads?

Anyway, I don't listen to much of deise am, so can't comment on the presenter.
    I do like The Shift, on at 7pm. A pretty eclectic mix of music for a local/regional station; and The Green Scene is one of the better Irish music shows I've come across.

:rolleyes:
    Hmm you try to mod by saying 'its turning into a verbal conversation on wlr' , and then proceed to list other shows on it ! :confused:

ps - can a thread be a 'verbal conversation' ?? ....... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

can a thread be a 'verbal conversation' ?? ....... :confused:

Try having a non verbal one..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

:rolleyes:
    Hmm you try to mod by saying 'its turning into a verbal conversation on wlr' , and then proceed to list other shows on it ! :confused:

ps - can a thread be a 'verbal conversation' ?? ....... :confused:

I'm not trying to mod, just pointing out that the current content has nothing to do with the thread title.

Also, I have no idea what 'verbal conversation' means. I assume I tried to type something else and my phone, in its wisdom, decided to auto correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

WLR having a 'mare today. Or maybe it's just Eamon Keane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭thesultan

WLR having a 'mare today. Or maybe it's just Eamon Keane.
    How?

Advertisement