Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCC - The Heavenly Staircase

Options
  • 18-12-2018 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭

Darkness.

Then memory. One of their shamans, staff raised high on the orange sand, Fourion herself can be seen rising on the horizon. His unit charges. A firebolt claims Gluindis first, a swelling of flame then smoke, his skeleton falls through and hits the sand. Then gravimancy. The Elf and Dwarf that had accompanied his unit are crushed. Red smears.

Enraged he charges, he can almost feel the heat of the shaman's blood as he approaches. His knife ready, vivimantic spell untracing itself from his brain. Then a counter-gesture from his opponent, the spell is cancelled. The shaman extends a single finger, a point of blue light at its tip. He remembers nothing else.

Now there is sensation. An electric shock, immense pain. And again more intense. The pain is almost unbearable.

Praise Othegre!

For if there is pain, then there is life! And if there is life he may continue to serve the Protectorate!

His vision coheres and he sees the resurrection tank, the delayed reincarnation spell has restored him to one of his clone bodies in Karinthia. The technician on the other side of the glass gives him a nod and empties the tank of water.

"Greetings Loygar, the resurrection is a perfect success. Fifth so far" the technician says with a smile.

"Our enemy is skilled. Still I have learned, it will be longer until the sixth. Are they here?"

"Yes, bound and ready to go. The Shogunate is supplying many of its own. The portal is also ready to go, the elf from the Triumvirate will be waiting with his servants"

Loygar glances at the four Nerosians in their bonds. He remembers such rebellion himself, before he was cleared of mental corruption. He pities them, they probably consider this enslavement, abduction or brutish conscription. Minds too weak to comprehend the glory of their service.

He drags them to the portal room, casts the geasa on them and tosses them through the gateway before leaping in himself.

On the other side he sees the elf the Triumvirate had sent word of, standing at the edge of the wood. He casts the hex silently on the elf's group all the same.

"So elf, you are at least reliable..." he begins before seeing another group of four emerge from the woods.

He smiles to himself. The visions can always be trusted, he had a premonition the clone body should be given three geasa and instructed the technicians as such before he had set off on his last mission.

He casts the last geasa on this group as they leave the forest. Two elves and two commoner humans. "What is their story?" he wonders.

"Elf, you four coming from the woods, Nerosians! Listen..." he cuts the Nerosians bonds and releases their gags "...as you know, it is over two years since the invaders from our new orange moon, the Bandu, landed. You know that the mighty beams of light that carry them between here and their home are sustained by the Klodic gems. Now know that I have bound you all to die unless you retrieve the Klodic gem from that monolith"

He points to a huge structure a few kilometers away in the desert.

"I am Loygar of the Protectorate, follow me, I shall take you all there"

"This group shall produce heroes, I know it" he thinks as he waits for them to object or follow.

MnldV7.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

"Right..." Loygar announces as he walks forward "...bit of a walk ahead, you lot at the forest edge come on"

He turns to the Triumvirate Elf's group.

"So, why'd you agree to help on this. Did you know a geasa was coming?"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Pip turns expectantly to Ol' Tana but she curls her lip and spits.
    "He's not talking to me he's talking to the apewalker over there. Were there not lessers present I'd do worse than shed my mouths water on your triumvirate."
    A double take. Then a growl
    "What do you mean, Geasa?"

Banjo wrote: »
    Pip turns expectantly to Ol' Tana but she curls her lip and spits.
    "He's not talking to me he's talking to the apewalker over there. Were there not lessers present I'd do worse than shed my mouths water on your triumvirate."
    A double take. Then a growl
    "What do you mean, Geasa?"
    "Well usually a Geasa means you feel compelled to do what I asked. Try to run away and you feel empty, like the world is wrong and melancholic.

In the Protectorate we decided that was wishy washy and took too long. Our Geasa is the product of deep research in Vivimancy and Moiramancy (OOC: Fate magic). Don't do what I say, or run too far and you'll vomit your organs out of a unpredictable orifice"

Loygar makes his way over the hill, impressed by how they are following.

"Should have loaded up some Geasa years ago" he says to himself.

He comes to a stop near a rock about a quarter mile from the tower and instructs the others to duck behind it.

"They can't see us here, little spell I have. Now, are all of you ready?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

The Nerosians head towards the monotith.

• Advertisement

Quentanaa hisses "Ho huain matuva lle nnar'a!" and makes the sign of the horns, slinking behind Ristan to slap him upside the head.
    "Stupid boy! You've chained us!" and rattling off a string of elfen epithets.

Pip steps forward, kneeling and presenting his sword, squeaking
    "Sir...if...uh...it be the pleases...um... I'm the squ-"
    Farris flicks his ear to shut him up, adding gruffly
    "What he means to say is, this is Curten Fiole, Knight of the Triumvirate, and he -we, actually- are at your service."

"What he means to say is, this is Curten Fiole, Knight of the Triumvirate, and he -we, actually- are at your service."
    "Great! That's what I want to see devotion. This will make heroes of you...some of you...those who live. Yes, risky, but ah, the life of a hero. The glory of heroic service"

He smells the night air.

"Is it not something to savour?

Now get going and get that gem!"
    The Nerosians head towards the monotith.
    Approaching they see little activity from the monolith and make it safely to the front. Standing in front of them is a square entrance with a strange yellow energy field over it. The yellow energy is so bright it is hard to see into the room within.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Aelrindel shoves his ragged slave, Artur, ahead of him - almost causing him to stumble and drop some of the huge load of gear he has been saddled with.

'Thonbar! Thonrat! 10 lashings for that muck savage, he almost dropped my falcon's cage!'

The two dwarven brothers nod, exchange a look and produce a whip each.

Aelrindel looks at Loygar.

'I'm here because my masters sent me. And what they want - they get.'

Pip and Farris follow the Nerosians.
    "Follow them, whelp" Tana advises, falling in behind. "The meat of others stops a blade as well as any iron."

On reaching the monolith, Pip looks for a stone to throw at the yellow light.

Templeton shouts, "I can see the light" and runs into the light, the others look at each other wondering what the stable boy is doing and hold back.

• Advertisement

Necro wrote: »
    'I'm here because my masters sent me. And what they want - they get.'
    Loygar looks at the dwarves beating the slave and smiles.

"A man who can produce a beating that fine from his upper servants upon his lower servants is a man with confidence. You could be used in the Protectorate's smelting mines, the slaves there have been growing restless since they heard of conditions in Madania, where..." he grimaces "...slavery is outlawed.

Slaver to slaver I recommend testing rooms with the whelp, can't be too careful"

sKeith wrote: »
    Templeton shouts, "I can see the light" and runs into the light, the others look at each other wondering what the stable boy is doing and hold back.
    The energy field tingles as he runs through it, but no harm comes to him.

Within is the entrance chamber.

The entrance chamber has a moderately high roof, with stylised depictions of various locations from Banduin on it. Crystal palaces on desert planes, underground ritual chambers, choral gardens and some others the party can't truly understand as they seem to be in abstract style, all circles and diamonds. The ground is coated in a thin layer of the moon's orange sand. The walls are a calming purple.
    Some animal imprints can be seen on the ground, though it would require a closer look to discern the types of beast.

A passage leads North out to a room ahead with sandstone walls. Along the passage there are doors to the East and West, both covered with thin blue energy. Some speech can be heard from the room to the East.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Fourier wrote: »
    Loygar looks at the dwarves beating the slave and smiles.

"A man who can produce a beating that fine from his upper servants upon his lower servants is a man with confidence. You could be used in the Protectorate's smelting mines, the slaves there have been growing restless since they heard of conditions in Madania, where..." he grimaces "...slavery is outlawed.

Slaver to slaver I recommend testing rooms with the whelp, can't be too careful"

Aelrindel smirks.

'That's what...'

*gestures to the slave and the dwarves*

'These commoners are for. If I need anything myself, Wanderfalke can fetch it for me without me having to step foot inside.'

He rubs the falcon on the top of the head through the cage.

'Now, where is this...thing?'

Templeton shouts to Irwin to come check out the animal tracks. Irwin hesitntly trys to pass throgh the field too and if he make it unharmed, checks out the tracks. The other two Nerosians will follow after seeing the first two pass harmless through.

Following behind, and hopefully not exploding, Tana examines the roof while Ristan checks out the animal tracks to see how far his forester experience has any bearing. Farris looks over his shoulder in case he's ever shoed a beast of its ilk. Pip stands in the middle of the room trying to look imposing

Templeton shouts to Irwin to come check out the animal tracks. Irwin hesitntly trys to pass throgh the field too and if he make it unharmed, checks out the tracks. The other two Nerosians will follow after seeing the first two pass harmless through.
    Irwin makes it through without a problem and inspects the tracks.

OOC: Intelligence based (+0) and roll a d20, as Irwin is trained in this

'These commoners are for. If I need anything myself, Wanderfalke can fetch it for me without me having to step foot inside.'

He rubs the falcon on the top of the head through the cage.

'Now, where is this...thing?'
    "Top of the monolith it should be" Loygar says staring up.

"At least that is where they usually keep them"

Irwin makes it through without a problem and inspects the tracks.

OOC: Intelligence based (+0) and roll a d20, as Irwin is trained in this
    ooc: rolled a 7

Irwin just can't quite make out the animal, when Ristan begins to take a look.
    Following behind, and hopefully not exploding, Tana examines the roof while Ristan checks out the animal tracks to see how far his forester experience has any bearing. Farris looks over his shoulder in case he's ever shoed a beast of its ilk. Pip stands in the middle of the room trying to look imposing
    Tana can see a clear pattern to the roof scenes, a small insignia on all the buildings depicted show that they all belong to the same house or nation, as does this tower probably.

OOC: Intelligence (+1) and Ristan is trained (d20)

'Artur, get up and stop mewling - leave the gear save for Wanderfalke's cage. You can carry that as a reminder of how disgusting you are. It should serve you nicely as a pillow, but... make sure your rags cover it first. Can't have slave touching poor Wander's cage.'

He turns to the dwarves.

'Right, the small gear bags from here. Thonbar, that last lashing looked a little weak. You shall carry my bag.'

He clicks his fingers and a falcon swoops down and lands on his arm.

'Yes, my sweet Wander - if the slave hurts your cage, you can peck out his eyes.'

He turns back to his party.

'Lead on! Artur first, let's not tarry now. You are after all... expendable.'

• Advertisement

Irwin just can't quite make out the animal, when Ristan begins to take a look.

Tana can see a clear pattern to the roof scenes, a small insignia on all the buildings depicted show that they all belong to the same house or nation, as does this tower probably.

OOC: Intelligence (+1) and Ristan is trained (d20)

2. Including the +1. Does that give him brain damage via a fumble?

'Lead on! Artur first, let's not tarry now. You are after all... expendable.'
    Banjo wrote:
    2. Including the +1. Does that give him brain damage via a fumble?
    Aelrindel's group make it in as easily as the others, just as Ristan realises the tracks are just pig feet.

Redford try to listen in to the speech coming from the east.

"Swine, I'll wager. Or as we men o't'forest call them, ground-pidgeons. Nothing to fear, except perhaps a hearty lunch!"
    Kicking his lips he readies his staff and makes to stalk the sausage in waiting.

Redford try to listen in to the speech coming from the east.
    Redford's acute ear can at least discern it's no language common to the areas of the Triumvirate and the Protectorate. Two speakers and from the sounds of their movement they're large enough.

Within is the entrance chamber.

The entrance chamber has a moderately high roof, with stylised depictions of various locations from Banduin on it. Crystal palaces on desert planes, underground ritual chambers, choral gardens and some others the party can't truly understand as they seem to be in abstract style, all circles and diamonds. The ground is coated in a thin layer of the moon's orange sand. The walls are a calming purple.
    Some animal imprints can be seen on the ground, though it would require a closer look to discern the types of beast.

A passage leads North out to a room ahead with sandstone walls. Along the passage there are doors to the East and West, both covered with thin blue energy. Some speech can be heard from the room to the East.

OOC: I presume I'm here, yeah?

Aelrindel instructs Artur to inspect the doors covered with energy.

'Touch the West one briefly too, you savage!'

Artur looks about for any items lying about to touch the door with.

Necro wrote:
    OOC: I presume I'm here, yeah?
    OOC: Yep
    "Swine, I'll wager. Or as we men o't'forest call them, ground-pidgeons. Nothing to fear, except perhaps a hearty lunch!"
    Kicking his lips he readies his staff and makes to stalk the sausage in waiting.
    Necro wrote:
    Aelrindel instructs Artur to inspect the doors covered with energy.
    Two Bandu guards sit in the East room talking. Both are from the warrior caste, about seven and half feet tall with four arms and purple skin. The table itself has an ornate mosaic on it, depicting some warlord winning a battle. His eyes are inset with some blue Banduin gem. The rest of the room contains the guards personal belongings and two sleeping hammocks. On the wall is a depiction of the shaman class, human height with elongated heads, two arms and pincers at the mouth. Though their strangest feature, the choral plants that grow along their spine, is not depicted.

Upon seeing Ristan and Artur one rises and comes out.

uZJK0Y.jpg

Artur quivers and drops to his knees.

'Please... save me - the elf - he's the one you want!'

Aelrindel looks up - 'What was that Artur?'

Artur quivers and drops to his knees.

'Please... save me - the elf - he's the one you want!'

Aelrindel looks up - 'What was that Artur?'
    The Banduin warrior looks down the hall and sees the group of twelve in total and roars three words back into the East room.

The second guard comes out.

"What...purpose of come?" the second guard says.

• Advertisement

Ristan looks from Artur to his master and back.
    "Not me, good sir spaghettiarms, the other elf. By the way, have you seen a pig here abputs and are you emotionally attached to it in any way?"

Advertisement