Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2018 Christmas Dinner thread!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

Any suggestions on the best sausage meat for stuffing? My mum uses the butcher's daughter but not sure I can get this in my local supermarket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭shortcircuitie

Any suggestions on the best sausage meat for stuffing? My mum uses the butcher's daughter but not sure I can get this in my local supermarket.

To be honest the sausage meat from any of the supermarkets is fine I've used Aldis plenty of times and it's fine.

What's more important is to flavour it nicely with things like fried onions, chestnuts, sage, thyme etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Thanks. I'm freezing my stock so might just freeze the stuffing too :)

As for the onions and freezing them, I had a few lying around, so decided to slice and dice and bag and freeze, will get back to ye on how they come out of the freezer and work on the recipe when I do something with them, It would be a handy way of not wasting onions, as they can come in handy if it work out

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I haven't but Tesco sell frozen chopped onion so it must freeze well.
    The likes of mushrooms are flash frozen in supermarkets and they defrost fairly OK, but if mushrooms are frozen in a regular freezer they turn to mush upon defrosting. The cells expand and burst. If you are making soup it will not matter.

I think onions do freeze OK though, and even if they did go a bit mushy or limp it should be fine in stuffing.

Never thought of the slow cooker. Thanks. Tomorrow will be my cooking day so. Sort the sausage stuffing and stock. I'm only doing stuffing, stock and mulled wine.

The slow cooker is also great for the mulled wine, I did that last year, it was lovely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

goat2 wrote: »
    The slow cooker is also great for the mulled wine, I did that last year, it was lovely
    It's very handy it means you don't take up valueable space on the hob. Unfortunately my slow cooker wasn't big enough for the stock but it's in the freezer ready to be made to gravy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Saw an 8.2kg ham in the supermarket earlier.

Picked mine up yesterday.
    8.4 kg (on the bone)
    Normal sized Christmas ham in our family!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Can anyone recommend a good recipe for stuffing balls that could be made in advance and frozen ahead of the big day? I've tried to do a search but doesn't seem to be working for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

Some of the OHs family coming over from Lithuania for xmas along with her sister & family who live here so we have to a Christmas eve dinner (which is their xmas dinner) and a xmas day dinner both for 13 people. Im leaving xmas eve up to her and her sister to do so will be more of their tradition. Weird little soft pastrys with jam or poppy seeds, salads and alot of fish dishes & cold sides with a main of Hake in breadcrumbs.

Im doing xmas day and dreading cooking for that many people and afraid Im not going to have enough oven space or big enough pans. Will do a turkey roasted, a ham boiled in coke then baked in treacle and mustard powder with a sausage stuffing balls idea I have in my head and roasted veg. Has the potential to be a right cock up. An Italian Christmas pudding recipe from Nigella Lawson for desert then but Im not making that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭Ryath

Local_Chap wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good recipe for stuffing balls that could be made in advance and frozen ahead of the big day? I've tried to do a search but doesn't seem to be working for me!

Bazmo's ones from the cooking club.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81099163

Used to always make sausage meat stuffing I've made it with fresh pork for a good few years now usually some variation of a Jamie Olver recipe.

We're going to my mum's this year so don't have to do the full dinner. Brother said he'd do the turkey, ham and sausage stuffing.

I'll volunteer another brother to peel the sprouts!

So'll do a roast veg mix, roast potatoes, bread stuffing and Jamie Olivers get ahead gravy. I'd usually do a good few starters too I'm tempted this year to just pick some of the M&S ones to save me time. I'll have a good few sausage rolls left from Christmas morning and I'm going to make a massive pot of Chicken soup in advance so that will tide people over till we get the dinner up.

Would like to make the pork stuffing too but I'm trying to avoid spending hours cooking and prepping, loading everything into the car and then I still have to spend an nearly 2 hours on Christmas day driving back and forth.

I may end over the day before to help my brother with prep. I'd usually do flavoured butter for the turkey and jerk marinade for the ham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

neris wrote: »

Im doing xmas day and dreading cooking for that many people and afraid Im not going to have enough oven space or big enough pans. Will do a turkey roasted, a ham boiled in coke then baked in treacle and mustard powder with a sausage stuffing balls idea I have in my head and roasted veg. Has the potential to be a right cock up. An Italian Christmas pudding recipe from Nigella Lawson for desert then but Im not making that.

Plan/prepare ahead. Write what you planning to serve and then try and allocate a time to cook it.

Ham and Stuffing Balls can be made the day before. Veg can be prepped the day before too - Brussels take ages to prepare so definitely do them early. Keep peeled potatoes immersed in water to stop them going brown. Pickled Cabbage can be made days in advance and kept in the fridge.

Do the turkey early and let it rest for an hour or two covered with a few layers of tin foil. Then you can use the oven for any veg your roasting.

Good luck! :)

any one know if we can make the ham glaze a few days ahead, put it into jam jar and store in the fridge,
    has anyone tried this, and how did it work out

• Registered Users Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

goat2 wrote: »
    any one know if we can make the ham glaze a few days ahead, put it into jam jar and store in the fridge,
    has anyone tried this, and how did it work out

That would be fine.

How much making is in your glaze?
    Mine is usually just honey and mustard.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

After my last outing please God tomorrow, i iwill sort all this out,,, always do as much as possible on Christmas eve else would end up too exhausted to eat and this has happened in the past

So root veg and potatoes prepared and parboiled and the turkey breast roast filled and wrapped... leaving only the oven roasting and sprouts to do and gravy

No pudding here yet! depends on what I see in tesco and lidl....would love unusual ice cream but getting it home given the time lapse not viable..

Whatever, the dwelling will smell utterly delicious as it can only at Christmas.. YOU know !

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

If I prepare carrots/parsnips/sprouts day before whats the best way to keep them fresh - in cold water in a pot or...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

vicwatson wrote: »
    If I prepare carrots/parsnips/sprouts day before whats the best way to keep them fresh - in cold water in a pot or...?

I just put them into a zip lock bag, squash as much air as I can out of it and then pop it in the fridge.

That would be fine.

How much making is in your glaze?
    Mine is usually just honey and mustard.

Honey, mustard, cloves, garlic, brown sugar, all mixed very well,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I just put them into a zip lock bag, squash as much air as I can out of it and then pop it in the fridge.

They don't "brown" or the likes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I'm working from home today. Which means.....

I have just made the cranberry sauce & Bazmo's stuffing balls!!

Loire wrote: »
    I'm working from home today. Which means.....

I have just made the cranberry sauce & Bazmo's stuffing balls!!

I see Aldi are now selling Stuffing Balls. I hope you’re on commission Bazmo! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I see Aldi are now selling Stuffing Balls. I hope you’re on commission Bazmo! :)

Chance would be a fine thing!

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Chance would be a fine thing!

It does make you wonder who pops in here though, but well done! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Recliner

We're not turkey and ham people, so I'm doing lobster, crab, prawns and scallops in loads of garlic butter with crusty bread and fennel.
    Not sure about a starter, I'd usually have a seafood one but with the main course what it is, a bit of variety would be nice. Any suggestions?
    I have a ham to be cooked in the slow cooker with cider on Christmas eve and used for sambos with stuffing and brown sauce for Christmas night.
    Dessert will be trifle, probably some cheeses as well.
    St. Stephen's Day then will be the ham with mash and cabbage. And trifle. There's only 2 of us but I'll make a huge trifle. I would eat it for breakfast. (And have done).
    Honestly looking forward to dinner so much already.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

How about stuffed mushrooms with a garlic sauce, vol au vonts of some sort, or a bruschetta with a garlic tomato topping.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Those prawn goyza mentioned in the Aldi thread might be good if you're OK with pre-prepared.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Stuff balls recipe made and frozen yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'm late to the party, but anyway:
    It's just me, man, picky af toddler and we have his parents and uncle over on Stephen's day. So a minimal preparation, max outcome dinner it will be.
    I'm not Irish and we aren't into Turkey and Ham so it's something different every year. We also don't need bazillion sides since we're just 2,5 people.

On Christmas eve we have a bit of a game night inspired dinner: Buffalo Chicken wings, Ribs, Padron peppers, Nachos, dips and watching Die Hard.
    Christmas day breakfast is Buttermilk pancakes, himself also got nice Breakfast bacon and sausages.
    The dinner itself will be a Porchetta with super crunchy skin, following Matty Matteson's recipe. Accompanied by herby roasties and Mediterranean glazed veg. We'll be so full that we don't bother with a formal dessert but we have a tub of that lovely Magnum almond ice cream. Once the kid is in bed film marathon while in vegetative state because food.

Stephen's day we host an informal get together with the In-laws. Now they're fussy eaters and quite unadventurous so we do a party food buffet sponsored by Tesco's finest, they wouldn't be comfortable eating something we'd homemake because seasoning is the devil.
    Himself will make a Victoria sponge as dessert and bake bread to accompany the Italian Charcuterie we have.

I didn't to anything yet but will start tomorrow making the table presentable and prepare garlic herb butter and a few small bits and pieces.

Edit: I gladly take suggestions, I need butcher's twine, preferably tomorrow, so in one of the supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Recliner

Recliner wrote: »
    We're not turkey and ham people, so I'm doing lobster, crab, prawns and scallops in loads of garlic butter with crusty bread and fennel.
    Not sure about a starter, I'd usually have a seafood one but with the main course what it is, a bit of variety would be nice. Any suggestions?
    I have a ham to be cooked in the slow cooker with cider on Christmas eve and used for sambos with stuffing and brown sauce for Christmas night.
    Dessert will be trifle, probably some cheeses as well.
    St. Stephen's Day then will be the ham with mash and cabbage. And trifle. There's only 2 of us but I'll make a huge trifle. I would eat it for breakfast. (And have done).
    Honestly looking forward to dinner so much already.

Himself has spoken; prawn cocktail it is for starters! Not just any prawn cocktail but one from the local Chinese to be bought on Christmas Eve. Who am I to argue?
    And Stephen's Day is now the ham with roasties done in beef dripping, sprouts and bog grown carrots. A first for me, dirtiest carrots I've ever seen, but promising a taste of carrots from days gone by.
    I've also decided to make Bazmo's stuffing balls tomorrow to have on Stephen's Day.
    Bought an amount of fruit and veg from my local greengrocers today for less than a tenner. Such amazing value and so much better looking than the supermarket. I can't understand why I don't shop there all the time. Actually I can, pure laziness and the convenience of the one stop shop supermarket. I think I've decided on my New Years resolution, buy from the small businesses when I can.
    Anyway back on topic, have I mentioned the trifle?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,754 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Am planning a nice easy few days. Shopping is all done & I just need to pick up the Turkey, Ham & Spiced Beef from the butcher on Christmas Eve.

Will boil the ham & beef on Christmas Eve & have that with cheeses, pickles & other nibbles for dinner.

Will also make my stuffing & prep the veg too. I usually do a few sides (honeyed carrots & parsnips, maybe braised red cabbage), but was asked if I'd cut it back to just sprouts this year. Less work - more time for relaxing - I'm in! I'll also make the base for my gravy with the giblets.

Christmas Day - I'll have smoked salmon on brown bread with G&Ts for 'breakfast' in Nana Billy's. Back home, we won't have a starter - just a few nibbles while I'm making the dinner & sipping on a chilled glass of Amontillado.

On the drink front, I'm considering breaking tradition this year & going for a dry white instead of a robust red with the main. Maybe a Pinot Grigio.

I've completely forgotten about dessert. (We're not big into it.) I'll ask today if they want something in particular. If not, it'll be coffee & Mrs Billy's Christmas Cake or her mince pies. (We had a batch yesterday afternoon & they were lush!)

The evening will be finished off with a mug of tea, cold turkey & pickled onion sambos with salad cream & white pepper.

Maybe a brandy, then to bed.

Ho! Ho! Ho! Merry Christmas everybody!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Advertisement