Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2018 Christmas Dinner thread!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

Hi, I love all the suggestions. Thanks.

I'm going to my in laws for Christmas this year. I've offered to make the gravy. Normally I'd make it from the juice of the turkey but I'm not sure how much I'll have. Is there any good shop bought stock any one recommends? I thought about roasting some legs before and freezing the stock but it's awkward and it's a 2 hour drive from my house to theirs.

Tia

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Hi, I love all the suggestions. Thanks.

I'm going to my in laws for Christmas this year. I've offered to make the gravy. Normally I'd make it from the juice of the turkey but I'm not sure how much I'll have. Is there any good shop bought stock any one recommends? I thought about roasting some legs before and freezing the stock but it's awkward and it's a 2 hour drive from my house to theirs.

Tia

You’ll probably see fresh Turkey stock in shops but the salt content may be quite high. I’d try Jamie’s method of roasting chicken wings on top of chopped carrots, onions and celery. Freezing means you can prepare it weeks in advance plus it might be easier to transport frozen gravy in your car as opposed to a liquid.

You’ll probably see fresh Turkey stock in shops but the salt content may be quite high. I’d try Jamie’s method of roasting chicken wings on top of chopped carrots, onions and celery. Freezing means you can prepare it weeks in advance plus it might be easier to transport frozen gravy in your car as opposed to a liquid.
    Thanks. My concern with freezing it is reheating the gravy on Stephens day. Not sure how safe it will because the stock will have been reheated twice. I might just do the frozen stock, thanks, I didn't know Jamie did a method for stock. Have in laws to impress :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Thanks. My concern with freezing it is reheating the gravy on Stephens day. Not sure how safe it will because the stock will have been reheated twice. I might just do the frozen stock, thanks, I didn't know Jamie did a method for stock. Have in laws to impress :pac:

Could you just divide it into batches? Heat one for Christmas day and one for Stephen's Day?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ms34

this is a good thread. I have my first attempt at Christmas dinner this year. 4 adults and 2 kids who most likely won't eat a Christmas dinner. All the veg, roasties and ham I've no problem with but stuffing and turkey I've never done either. I think a full Turkey will be too much for the 4 of us and I'm leaning towards boned and rolled but I haven't a clue about what size to buy or the best way to cook it. Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

My no.1 tip when it comes to roasting pretty much anything Is: Get A Meat Thermometer.

Ours has saved us from overcooked turkey on at least 3 occasions in the last few years - I normally roast a 14 lb stuffed bird using Delia smiths foil tent method and since getting a new oven, the cooking time has dropped by over an hour!

ms34 wrote: »
    this is a good thread. I have my first attempt at Christmas dinner this year. 4 adults and 2 kids who most likely won't eat a Christmas dinner. All the veg, roasties and ham I've no problem with but stuffing and turkey I've never done either. I think a full Turkey will be too much for the 4 of us and I'm leaning towards boned and rolled but I haven't a clue about what size to buy or the best way to cook it. Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Well done on taking on the task. Doing the Christmas Dinner is akin to having kids in the maturity stakes in my opinion. ;)

You could go out to a supermarket and buy a prepared turkey crown and just follow the instructions or you could do something yourself which is pretty fail-proof and much more impressive.

Go to your local butcher and order one or two turkey legs. Ask them to bone and sinew them (that's the hard bit done for you) and to leave the skin on. Should cost you about €20 for two legs. It will be enough for two dinners.

One thing you will need is a very large pot for poaching the leg(s). A salmon poacher would be perfect.

I can't find the video anymore on YouTube that I first followed. Here's a Gordon Ramsey video that uses Chicken legs but it follows the same idea but yours is going to be at least four times larger.

For your stuffing (for one leg, double up if doing two):

One large onion, finely chopped
    Good knob of Butter
    Good handful of fresh herbs - sage, parsley, thyme - chopped
    2 coffee mugs of Breadcrumbs
    1 beaten egg
    1 Tablespoon of ground fennel seeds (you'll have to grind them yourself)
    1 Tablespoon of parmesan cheese - finely grated
    500g of sausagemeat (or pack of sausages)
    Salt & Pepper
    1 packet of smoked streaky bacon

In a large pan melt the butter on a medium heat. Add the chopped onion and fry until soft - 5/6 minutes. Add the chopped herbs and fry for a minute to release the flavours.

In a large mixing bowl, add the ingredients from the pan. Add breadcrumbs, egg, fennel seeds and parmesan. Season (watch the salt as the sausagemeat may be salty in itself). Mix all together and then add the sausagemeat. Using clean hands, mix everything together.

Put a slice of streaky bacon on your cleaned workbench and using the back of a sharp knife, stretch the slice till it's thinner and longer. Do this with all the slices then make a sheet of streaky bacon with each slice overlapping it's neighbour.

Place the boned turkey leg, skin side down, on top of the bacon. Add the stuffing mix and then lift the the bacon slices and turkey over itself to form a roll.

Get a long sheet of aluminium foil. Place your rolled leg on top and wrap the foil around it tightly.Twist the ends to tighten it further (like a christmas cracker). Place in the fridge for 30 minutes or so.

In your large pot, fill with chicken stock and some chopped onion and herbs, whole peppercorns and bay leaves. Bring it to the boil and add your turkey leg. When it comes back to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 90 minutes. Remove from stock and allow to cool. When cool, put in fridge.

You can do all the above a few days before Christmas Day and leave it in the fridge - the longer you leave it, the better the flavour. You can freeze the second leg and keep for a nice sunday roast in January.

On the day, remove from the fridge about 45 minutes before you fry it to get it to room temperature. Remove foil and fry in olive oil/butter mix until browned all over - about 30 minutes.

Turkey and stuffing in one! (Although you will have to do bread stuffing as well but that's easy).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Delicious thread! mmm...so many wonderful cooks and ideas here; thank you.

Well I am all but prepared. weather wise and my car is dying. .... ah well!

Just missed a half price pudding but made tiffin ( no raisins) and a bowl of mincemeat is maturing nicely. small turkey in the freezer..

we are cut off often now so I keep stocked well!...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

B0jangles wrote: »
    My no.1 tip when it comes to roasting pretty much anything Is: Get A Meat Thermometer.

Ours has saved us from overcooked turkey on at least 3 occasions in the last few years - I normally roast a 14 lb stuffed bird using Delia smiths foil tent method and since getting a new oven, the cooking time has dropped by over an hour!

I think I might invest in a thermometer - my last two chickens have been underdone (in spite of me prodding them all over & the juices running clear). Don't want the same thing happening to my turkey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

OK, this is the first year I am doing the entire thing myself. I have some points I could do with help on the following points:

-Can anyone suggest a tasty seafood canapé that isn't smoked salmon.

Watched Nevin make a delicious looking trout paté, on Wed night, I think.
    Accompanied with sourdough toast.
    I thought it looked delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

On the 23rd I normally soak my ham. On Christmas eve, I boil the ham leave it cool in the cooking liquor, make the chicken soup and brown bread (I have been told "it's not Christmas without it), make the stuffing, prep the veg and make the desserts.

Christmas day we start early, my mother-in-law and brother-in-law visit after mass on Christmas morning so we have the chicken soup and bread at about 11am. Dinner turkey, ham, stuffing, roast potatoes, creamed potatoes, carrots in white sauce and gravy at about 2pm. At about 5 or 6pm we have the dessert (after we have woken up after the dinner :D:D).

The only that changes from year to year are the desserts, so I am always on the look out for something light. Last year I made panna cotta and jelly and chocolate mousse and panna cotta. If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful.

21khvrc.jpg9i4pqb.jpg

They look fab!

I make three desserts, a Triffle but without the alcohol, Delia Smith's chocolate torte, and Rachel Allen's Roulade.
    (THere's only 5 of us!)

I practised making individual Triffle's on Monday but weren't successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I think I might invest in a thermometer - my last two chickens have been underdone (in spite of me prodding them all over & the juices running clear). Don't want the same thing happening to my turkey

I just love the way they take away all the guesswork - you just poke it in and you know in seconds if it is done, and if it isn't, you can estimate how long until it is done. A decent one is less than 20 quid online too.

The turkey thing was a real eye-opener for me - I was just doing a midway test and the internal temp showed that it was almost done - if I'd left it in for the time the recipe called for, it would have been like sawdust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭shortcircuitie

The Jamie Oliver method is a game changer. It means you start with amazing gravy ever before you cook the turkey. All you have to do is defrost the gravy and add the turkey resting juices and you're sorted.

I leave out the star anise because I feel it dominates a little too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭shortcircuitie

B0jangles wrote: »
    I just love the way they take away all the guesswork - you just poke it in and you know in seconds if it is done, and if it isn't, you can estimate how long until it is done. A decent one is less than 20 quid online too.

The turkey thing was a real eye-opener for me - I was just doing a midway test and the internal temp showed that it was almost done - if I'd left it in for the time the recipe called for, it would have been like sawdust.

The thermometer is just a godsend. You cannot go wrong.

I actually have two. One is a type you where leave the probe in the thickest part of the leg in the oven and the cable is narrow enough to come out the oven door. The reading reads on an external unit outside the oven. This is the "rough" measurement. Typically these types are quite slow to read.

When the static thermometer reads that the turkey is cooked**, you can take it from the oven and give it a few checks in a few different places with a handheld fast read thermometer: such as

https://www.amazon.com/AMIR-Digital-Thermometer-Electronic-Fordable/dp/B07D5BLFCP/ref=sr_1_15?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1544192930&sr=1-15&keywords=amir+thermometer

Using this you can be certain the turkey is cooked.

**Everyone has different liking for how much the turkey should be cooked. Safe is 75 degrees. If the breast is at 75 degrees it is lovely, but leg meat at 75, while cooked and safe, is not that "fall off the bone" lovely.

I prefer to get the leg up to 80 or so. By this point the breast will be at 85, which will still be lovely. And the leg will be a lot more tender.

You can of course cook the legs and crown separately, but an awful lot of people like the spectacle of the full bird intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

I'm on board again this year, I've the puddings made so that's a start!
    It's normally a choice of 3 starters, soup with brown bread, melon, or a fish starter( any ideas for something different? )
    Usual main course turkey, ham, spiced beef with all the trimmings
    Kids look after dessert.
    I love this time of year, love the planning and hussle and bussle. Most of all I love when it all comes together!. ( cooking for 14)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You can chuckle! We have been cut off by the storms most of this week so am thinking ahead as the forecast is not good long term... Just blanched Brussels sprouts to freeze "just in case"!
    They will keep the small turkey company.

Wish I had parsnips and carrots but there we are...... lol..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I’m cooking for ourselves on Christmas Eve this year as we are going to the in laws on Christmas Day and they don’t do proper bread stuffing (pack box!) or any roasties (mad house?!). This way I get to bring all my left overs!

I’ve cooked turkey dinner for two years now so I’m pretty ok with it. However I’ve never brined and it’s very intriguing. Ive read nigellas and nevans. They both seem popular. However I would have to buy in a lot of the spices for Nigellas so would I be better to stick with Nevan’s? Is it worth it? How does it not taste salty?

I’m going to do a cheesecake in the instant pot for dessert this year

• Registered Users Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I thought my days of doing the Christmas dinner were over as my nephew became a chef and took over the mantle. Little feck is in Australia this year, so it falls back on me. To be fair, I only look after the main course.

Making some brown chicken stock today for the gravy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Not Christmas dinner, but Christmas Food - I cooked spices beef this morning. The house smells of wonderful Christmas smells now, and it seems to be done perfectly (25 mins per pound, plus 25 mins, and let cool in the water).
    Will have some of it tomorrow with a cheeseboard, rocket, crusty bread and some of the chilli jam and Christmas chutney I made back in October. Yum!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Saw an 8.2kg ham in the supermarket earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

A monster!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

has any person, cut up onions for the stuffing and general dishes over the Christmas, ahead of the week of Christmas and freezed them,
    I am thinking of doing so, but have never tried it before,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I haven't but Tesco sell frozen chopped onion so it must freeze well. I've often made up the stuffing in advance and frozen it successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

goat2 wrote: »
    has any person, cut up onions for the stuffing and general dishes over the Christmas, ahead of the week of Christmas and freezed them,
    I am thinking of doing so, but have never tried it before,

Why don’t you just take all the hassle out of it and make the stuffing and freeze it? It freezes really well and it’s one less thing to do on the day.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Why don’t you just take all the hassle out of it and make the stuffing and freeze it? It freezes really well and it’s one less thing to do on the day.
    Thanks. I'm freezing my stock so might just freeze the stuffing too :)

Christmas Dinner for the in-laws done!

Roast Goose, Slow-Cooked Ham, Stuffing Balls, Roast Potatoes, Cauliflower Cheese, Christmas Cabbage, Roasted Brussels with Pancetta and Garlic Beans. Plus some Veggie Lasagne for the pair of abstainers.

24-F055-DC-4-B40-4-BB6-954-B-570-E82-CAB273.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I've suddenly been put in the position of getting a goose for the dinner. Are they easily available in supermarkets/butchers?

humberklog wrote: »
    I've suddenly been put in the position of getting a goose for the dinner. Are they easily available in supermarkets/butchers?

Not till the 20th or thereabouts. I got a frozen one in Lidl for €19.99, a
    fraction of the price of a fresh one. Took two days to defrost in the fridge. Was a bit tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Thanks. I'm freezing my stock so might just freeze the stuffing too :)

I have already made the stock
    chicken wings, celery, onions, carrot, clove of garlic, tossed with oil in roasting tim, roasted for an hour, then put the lot with water in slow cooker for 3 hrs and strained, cooled and put in freezer, one job done.
    Now thinking of taking the work out of stuffing on the day, and making it ahead and freezing.

• Advertisement

goat2 wrote: »
    I have already made the stock
    chicken wings, celery, onions, carrot, clove of garlic, tossed with oil in roasting tim, roasted for an hour, then put the lot with water in slow cooker for 3 hrs and strained, cooled and put in freezer, one job done.
    Now thinking of taking the work out of stuffing on the day, and making it ahead and freezing.
    Never thought of the slow cooker. Thanks. Tomorrow will be my cooking day so. Sort the sausage stuffing and stock. I'm only doing stuffing, stock and mulled wine.

Advertisement