Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2018 Christmas Dinner thread!!

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It may have needed a couple more minutes in the oven to brown, but it was definitely tasty

IMG-3680.jpg
    IMG-3681.jpg

faceman wrote: »
    I always like to do scallops and chorizo as a starter but it’s so filling you have to give a nice break between it and mains. Of course I could eat less scallops but where’s the fun it that? :)

Black pudding also good with scallops- or just scallops with scallops- love scallops :D

kylith wrote: »
    It may have needed a couple more minutes in the oven to brown, but it was definitely tasty

]

that's brilliant- is it your own invention or is it actually a particular dish?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

that's brilliant- is it your own invention or is it actually a particular dish?

It's called Timpano. It's an italian dish of a dish lined with pasta and filled. Usually it's filled with meatballs, stuffed rigatoni, eggs, and cheese.

I filled it with non-dairy soft cheese stuffed shells, vegetarian sausage, mushroom tomato sauce, and non-dairy cheddar. It could have been browner, but it was lovely nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yesterday was grand! A good classic turkey dinner was really enjoyed.... Nothing can beat it...

More today, then I will "plate" probably 2 more dinners for the freezer. Hate cooking for one so this works great.. home made ready meals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

First course: cold flaked salmon with avovcado and pesto and mayonnaise.

Main dishes:
    Roast lamb, mint sauce
    Roast pheasant, stuffing
    Cold thinly-sliced spiced beef
    Gratin with mushrooms for the Vegetarian
    Buttered carrots and spiced Beetroot
    Dessert: (much later!) -- Pudding, and brandy cream with broken-up meringues

It was a delectable meal, with the company of loved family.

Not much left over at all; only the spiced beef for sandwiches.

Don't we eat very well in Ireland? We are blessed with abundance.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,734 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I ended up getting through 2lbs of spiced beef in less than 24 hours just by snacking (& a little help from my brother in law).

Turkey ended up being ready over an hour ahead of schedule. Weight, temp & timings all by the book, but could have knocked 90 mins of the official time TBH as it was a bit dry.

Roast spuds, sprouts in bacon, sage & onion stuffing & giblet gravy were all perfect according to Mrs B & The Kids. Probably the best roast spuds I've done this year.

I broke tradition & went with a Pinot Grigio in the end which was very enjoyable & complimented the chilled Sherry I tippled away on while making the dinner.

No dessert, just tucked into some lush Lily O'Brien's choccies on the sofa while watching movies.

Had a turkey & pickled onion sambo with salad cream & white pepper & a big mug of tea for supper.

Will dismember the turkey carcass today (still a full breast & the legs left) & use it to make turkey-bone soup. You can't beat it! Quite light & freezes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Yeah, weighed our turkey crown before going in the oven - 3.6kg. It was slightly over cooked at 90 minutes. Never understand Turkey cooking times.

Due to slight inebriation, completely forgot about the boned and rolled turkey leg in the fridge. Ah well, that’s two Sunday lunches sorted in January. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

^ Yeah, weighed our turkey crown before going in the oven - 3.6kg. It was slightly over cooked at 90 minutes. Never understand Turkey cooking times.

Due to slight inebriation, completely forgot about the boned and rolled turkey leg in the fridge. Ah well, that’s two Sunday lunches sorted in January. :rolleyes:

You’ve possibly answered your own question there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I have got my chance to do my kind of dinner this evening, prime roast rib, in slow cooker now, bought veg ready chopped, and washed potatoes, and of course the trifle after, along with mulled wine, had turkey and ham yesterday to suit others, now it is my turn to turn things up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

We had turkey,goose, spiced beef and ham with roasties, slow cooked red cabbage, carrots and parsnips and giblet gravy.

The savages ate everything bar a few scraps

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

goat2 wrote: »
    I have got my chance to do my kind of dinner this evening, prime roast rib, in slow cooker now, bought veg ready chopped, and washed potatoes, and of course the trifle after, along with mulled wine, had turkey and ham yesterday to suit others, now it is my turn to turn things up

Surely a prime rib would be much nicer roasted in a conventional oven?
    Seems a bit of a waste to slow cook such a prime, tender cut or am I missing something?

Surely a prime rib would be much nicer roasted in a conventional oven?
    Seems a bit of a waste to slow cook such a prime, tender cut or am I missing something?

You may think that,
    I also thought that,
    then I tried this method, on a day I had been feeling lazy.
    and hey presto
    it is absolutely fab.

I also do legs of lamb this way, and they come out scrumptious

You may think that,
    I also thought that,
    and hey presto
    it is absolutely fab.

But can you serve rare when cooked in the slow cooker?

Great dinner:D
    11 adults.

Christmas Eve:
    Boned, stuffed and rolled the turkey legs and reduced the bird to just the crown and rolled legs. Also roasted the bones for gravy flavour bits and made stock for soup (I had previously made brown chicken stock for the gravy and froze it). I made the gravy and put the 8.4kg ham on to cook - sister took it off and glazed it.

Brother-in-law did a lovely seafood starter of crab, spiced prawns, smoked tuna and smoked mackerel with salad and brown bread.

A couple of hours break and then:

Poached, then browned turkey crown (I haven't roasted a turkey in years and probably will never do so again).
    Roast, stuffed turkey leg.
    Cold spiced beef and ham.
    Roast carrots, parsnips, shallots. garlic and potatoes.
    Sauteed leeks.
    Spiced red cabbage.
    Stir fried Brussels sprouts with garlic and ham.
    Mashed carrot and parsnip.
    stuffing wrapped in smoked ham.
    Very good gravy;)

No dessert was had (will have my mum's christmas pud tonight)- just a selection of Irish cheeses.

Potential disaster when par boiling the spuds. The potatoes were peeled when I arrived. When I went to strain them they were almost fully cooked and all broken up and mushy. Turns out they were Golden Wonders - a potato that I will never do anything with other than bake. Having had this happen to me before I knew that you can still make a lovely crispy, roasty potato dish - as long as you are generous with the oil (turkey fat) and have a good hot oven.

Sprouts were overcooked for my taste but others seemed to enjoy them.

Looking forward to leftovers with mash tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 24122018

How did it go for you

Hiya....in the finish up, i roasted it in the vacuum pack in a baking tray almost covered in water. It surprising turned out lovely, very moist! Just enough turkey meat (along with the mountains of everything else!) for dinner for 5 adults & 2 kids!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭fitz

You may think that,
    I also thought that,
    and hey presto
    it is absolutely fab.

It's also complete waste of money.
    Fab as it may turn out, you'll get just as good a result using a slow cooker with a cheaper cut, for about a third the price.
    It's a daft thing to do with a prime rib.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just enjoyed a reprise of my turkey dinner ie the plate I made up to reheat... Excellent fare and the 5 cats lined up to watch every last bite.. ;) and of course had a share

fitz wrote: »
    It's also complete waste of money.
    Fab as it may turn out, you'll get just as good a result using a slow cooker with a cheaper cut, for about a third the price.
    It's a daft thing to do with a prime rib.

I agree with you,

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Picked up some form of respiratory stuff on the 24th or 25th so was in no state to cook on the 26th - but everything was already in the freezer. Deep-fried pakora worked out vastly better than I would have done with a pot of oil also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Christmas dinner went well, particularly the turkey (brined it). Made Bazmo's recipe and also gave the slow cooked mulled wine a go. :) Ham was glazed with honey, mustard and cloves (forgot the whiskey). Only thing I wasn't 100% happy with was the roast veg - carrots, the spuds were good. Lots of stuff posted here I'm a little jealous of. :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I successfully made a mushroom seitan loaf - this will be my new go-to for whenever a roast is called for. Really, really yummy, and great texture.

You can see it on the picture hiding behind the sprouts and stuffing...

KxxpQ5k.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

Our turkey turned out a little dry, everything else went well, in the end we went for 2 desserts chocolate molten lava pots and crepes with caramel sauce and ice-cream.

2s9xel2.jpg

I ended up getting through 2lbs of spiced beef in less than 24 hours just by snacking (& a little help from my brother in law).

Turkey ended up being ready over an hour ahead of schedule. Weight, temp & timings all by the book, but could have knocked 90 mins of the official time TBH as it was a bit dry.

If you ever buy a new oven, get the one with the internal temperature thermometer - Bosch currently do a plug in probe- Miele do a wireless one for gods sake - they would :rolleyes::P

I have the Bosch one- perfect Turkey- switched off @ 75 degrees internal temperature with the probe- lovely, juicy- no-one poisoned :D Can't recommend it enough

Advertisement