Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Goals for 2019?

Options
  • 19-12-2018 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭

Once again that time of year, out with the old & in with the new!! What do you aspire to in 2019?

1. Consistency - I need to be more consistent with my training, I can do 3-4 good weeks of training then sit back get lazy and admire them, no more.

2. PB’s - I normally list arbitrary time goals in this but not this year, if I train properly and consistently PB’s will come be it 5 secs or 10 mins.

3. Weight Loss - I need to lose some weight to run those PB’s, at 13 stone i’m just a tad heavy!!

4. Injury free - hitting myself with a big plank of wood typing this one, i’ve been very lucky past few years, keep it that way.

5. Podium - aim high and all that, pipe dream this one, but what the hell!!!

Happy Christmas to one and all on the A/R Forum, may the running year of 2019 be good to you all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

I've been a bit vague with my goals over the last few years so changing it up this year and going with definite targets.

Sub-3 marathon(3:15)
    Make County Senior XC team
    Sub-18 5k(18:32)
    Sub-37 10k(39:45)
    Sub-1:22 Half(1:25:43)
    Actually be somewhat Competitive at Provincial XC(that's my vague one)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

• Every run home to end with either hills or strides
    • 6000km
    • Run some shorter distances in the graded meets (this year the kid will be old enough to run them too)
    • Gym once a week (except when there's a midweek race)
    • Race more often in first 6 months of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I love this game;

Win an IMRA race
    Half Marathon PB at the Tullamore Quinlan Cup 31st August 2019 (currently 76:??)
    Sub 17 5k, parkrun will do

And the hardest* of the lot - beat my age to to the top of Slieve Donard

*The others are all hard for me too :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Hmm have had to really sit down and think for this one. Definitely going aggressive this year so probably setting myself up for failure but rather work hard towards failure than coast to mediocrity with soft goals making excuses for myself

Mileage: 4000 miles

This would represent a huge increase (3100 my highest ever and hovering around 2000 for this year) I had stopped using this as a goal but given the year that I have had I think it would indicate a very good training year which I will need to give marathon a good rattle

Times:

10k PB - (34.10)

This is a monkey on my shoulder. Here is my season best from the last few years.

2018 - 34.14
    2017 - 34.14
    2016 - 34.45 (Great Ireland course so closer to others than would suggest)
    2015 - 34.11

Marathon PB - (2.43.03)

Unfinished business here with the wheels coming off the last few miles last time

Weight:
    Squat - 120kg 1 Rep Max (current best was 90kg)
    Deadlift - 100 kg 1 Rep Max (current best 60 kg before grip strength gives out

Race Weight: 58 kg for DCM (currently 61 kg)

Coaching:

Have a few idea's with the group I have so rather than ambiguous PB gonna put more tangible targets. Again these are general targets I have in my head this is not something I am putting pressure on athletes for

- 2 new sub 3 hr marathoners
    - 1 sub 2.45 runner
    - 2 sub sub 78 HM runners
    - 1 National Championship medalist
    - 2 Provincial/county medalists

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

RayCun wrote: »
    • Every run home to end with either hills or strides
    • 6000km
    • Run some shorter distances in the graded meets (this year the kid will be old enough to run them too)
    • Gym once a week (except when there's a midweek race)
    • Race more often in first 6 months of the year

6000km :o
    Have you hit this mark, or near to it, before Ray?

• Advertisement

healy1835 wrote: »
    6000km :o
    Have you hit this mark, or near to it, before Ray?

at 4839km today, so will be over 5000 for the year. That will be the most I've run in a year though. Last year was just under 5, a couple of years have been 3-4000.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Race Weight: 58 kg for DCM (currently 61 kg)

FFS!!! Now I feel like a real fat cnut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

OOnegative wrote: »

I have the luxury of not hitting puberty yet though to work in my favour :P

To be honest this is more an experiment. Simple fact is that if I continue to eat right the way I am with increase in miles I reckon this should be where I end up however saying that if I feel recovery is impaired or am starting to pick up a few more colds etc then I will pull the plug

(The irony of typing this post as one of the guys in work literally just plopped an off beat donut on my desk for me as he was in the christmas spirit on the way into work)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

Distance|Current PB/Year|A Goal|B Goal
    Marathon|3:37 (2008) |<3:30:00|<3:15:00
    Half Marathon|1:36:24 (2018) |<1:30:00|<1:35:00
    10 Mile|1:09:27 (2002) |As far under Sub 70 as I can get|
    5 Mile|33:07 (2009)|31:??|32:??
    5K|19:25 (2009)|18:29|19:20
    1 Mile|05:42 (2017)|05:12|05:28

Nice to have a new PB, that's 2 in 2 years, so would definitely like to improve that strike rate.

Big Goal race is Berlin Half in April and I'll be doing everything possible to hammer a new PB.

Didn't get to the track this year or make an appearance in the Dublin Novice, so still on my goals list.

To keep enjoying it, that's about 20 months of consistency and having fun, remembering why I like to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I love this thread every year. Always funny looking back in it a year later. My goals last year seemed optimistic at the time but I underestimated the power of a coach and a lot of determination. This year I'm a little older and wiser I think so no sandbagging.

The last third of 2018 hasn't been great by my own personal standards for various reasons. So the plan for 2019..

Running specific;

1. If I was to hover around decent 10k shape throughout the year I'd be a happy man. Long term goal is still 10k specific. Sub 36 is definitely on my radar. Sub 35 unlikely I would say. Dunshaughlin is a race I really want to run in 2019.

2. I quite enjoyed the structure of mid 2018 going from 5k to HM block. The body responded very well going from speed to strength training.
    If I do similar again the 5k sub 17 and HM sub 78 would be in my sights.

Outside of running specific stuff;

1. Priority number one is better diet. Eating more of the right foods. And by more I mean enough!

2. Address some of the issues that impacted the last third of 2018. Plans already in motion.

3. Get a rub down at least once every two or three months. And more stretching and foam rolling.

Marathon is always the elephant in the room with me. Haha. Wouldn't rule it in or out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

That time of the year already :)

I've a couple of non specific targets;
    - clean up my diet outside of marathon training blocks! Im not that bad, but could definitely cut down/out sugary drinks.
    - introduce s&c into my training. Have started already so will hopefully reap a few rewards here.
    - more sleep (alas, I fear this one may be wishful thinking.....)

Race Specific Targets;

Marathon: Sub 2:50 (PB 2:58:01)
    Looking like Dublin, but Berlin still could be a runner. Weighing up a couple of alternative entry routes & will decide one way or the other pretty soon. Either way hoping to give 2:50 a good rattle.

Half Marathon: Sub 79 (PB 1:19:59)
    Aiming for Limerick in May for first go at this.

10 Mile: Sub 60 (PB 60:33)

10k: Sub 37 (PB 38:50ish)
    Ran a 37:15 split in Frank Duffy in September, so will hopefully get under 37mins first and then maybe set another target.

5 Mile: Sub 28:30 (PB 29:51)
    Raheny. January. Target.

5k: Run a decent 5k race at some stage in the next 12 months........really, that would do me. Don't really like the distance but I know there are a lot of benefits to racing over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

1. One huge goal for 2019 - DCM.
    Have an entry, will be my first marathon. Just to finish will be enough but I would be hoping to do it in 4:40 or less.

2. A PB at 5k and 10k. Anything will do
    Current 5k PB is 26:54 (2017)
    Current 10k PB is 57:39 (2017)

3. Stay healthy and not get a cold for the year, or at least up as far as the marathon

4. 1000 miles. Should do it if I'm doing the marathon training right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

For me I'd like to run 2000 miles or 3218.688km :pac: I might be a bit short on that this year but in and around the same. Why do I put distance ahead of PB's? Because to run this kind of distance it will mean the consistency of running 5 to 6 days a week, the PB's will follow. I will have to stay fairly injury free to run that distance, and finally I just love running :)

The focus will be to continue 5km to 10km racing with Dunshaughlin 10k, Rathfarham 5k in my sights. I've also some unfinished business in the Terenure 5mile after this years disaster.

Away from running my diet hasn't been hectic the past six months, so I need to improve there. Also I'm not as good as I used to be at strength work/gym
    I hope to improve on that department too.

Happy running everyone in 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

OOnegative wrote: »

You and me both, as I tuck into my muffin for breakfast :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

1) Manage more than 8 concurrent weeks without injury *
    2) Run DCM2019 (and finish)
    3) Half sub 1:40 (currently around 1:42)
    4) 10k sub 41, stretch goal sub 40 (currently 42:22)
    5) 5k 20:30'ish, stretch goal sub 20 (currently 21:53)
    6) Up weekly mileage slowly from current low 30's roughly to 50-60 range (keeping 1 above in mind)
    7) 1300 miles in the year, this year though injuries and sickness just missing out on the 1000 looks likely.

*Run slower in training and learn to enjoy it
    *Lose 10kg to help all above - post xmas and new years indulgences

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

i suppose i better put something down.

1 Race more
    2 Improve a little
    3 No stoopid injuries
    4 Get out on the track a bit more

Times-
    1- 5k- 17:30 (this year!)
    2- 10k 36:30
    3 1/2- 1:21:00
    4 3K- 9:59

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Been a long time since I posted goals like this son this forum :)

A Goals
    1. Sub 3 - most likely DCM (entered) but I'll have a go at Limerick since its on my doorstep. 2019 is really all about the sub3
    2. National Masters Gala in March - My first ever Gala - Don't disgrace myself, just give it my best and do tumble turns! I'd love to get into 24:xx shape for the 1,500m
    B Goals
    • All pbs are up for grabs. 18:10 5k, 38:09 10k and 1:23:40 HM. I'd be delighted to beat any of those but realistically sub3 type fitness should put me the ballpark of sub19, sub40 and sub 1:26.
    • Stay healthy and injury free
    • Give up tea (swap for green tea) and sliced bread

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

Only started running in March of this year at 28.
    Had a bit of a stop start year but said I'd post some goals for a level of accountability.

As I'm still a newbie to running I'm hoping some of these targets will be well within my reach if I can avoid injury and train consistently.

I've signed up for DCM19.
    Completed it in 2018 however I took part without any proper training, with a goal of just finishing.
    Got around in 4:47.

Goals:
    Join a club - for training in groups a couple of times a week - suitable for beginners like myself (recommendations in Dublin 12 welcomed).
    Parkrun more.
    5k - improve PB (24:22) - would love to get close to 20 but to keep improving will do.
    10k - improve PB (55:30) - not sure what a target goal for this should be, sub 45 maybe or maybe lower?
    Half - complete a half (did the first half of DCM in 2:07 - so I think sub 2).
    DCM19 - setting myself a goal of sub 4 (having done DCM18 in 4:47 on no long distance training).

If any of the above seem ridiculous (or not ambitious enough) any feedback would be great as I'm quite new to this world and don't know what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I haven’t posted on these threads in years, so committing to it represents my improved attitude of late.

Marathon: Sub 3. Haven’t gone under 3 since 2:49 back in 2014. 2016 was me bottoming out, so I am pretty confident sub3 should be doable.

Half: Haven’t done a 1/2 marathon in 4 years, pb of 1:19 unlikely to be under threat, but hopefully 1:23-1:25 in RnR in August.

Consistent Mileage: This needs work. Monthly mileage target is 100 minimum, if I hit 150 for 3-4 consecutive months, I see big rewards.

5k or 3k: I’m willing to stick my neck out here and target a pb at one of these distances. 17:28 and 10:05 are soft, I’ve not had a pb at any distance since running all of them in 2013-14. Maybe Louth outdoor for the 3,000 or a suitably fast 5k somewhere.

Goal mileage for the year: 1,500
    I used to regularly do 1,500-1,900, that’s about the sweet spot for making gains, staying healthy and not taking away from family.

"Join a club - for training in groups a couple of times a week - suitable for beginners like myself (recommendations in Dublin 12 welcomed)"

Brothers Pearse
    PM me for details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Posting some goals for accountability

Mileage - 2000 miles
    Will be close-ish to 1500 miles this year and hoping that with consistently higher mileage next year I can hit the 2000 mark

Race times - not too sure - hoping that I can start shaving time off gradually. My experience this year is of taking off large chunks of time but this probably isnt likely anymore (fingers crossed I will be able to revise my goals later in the year)

5k - Sub 21 (PB 21.22)

10k - Sub 44 (PB 44.22)

Not sure about longer distances yet

Other goals
    Have a go at a 1 mile and/or 2 mile race
    Diet and nutrition is definitely an area I can make big improvements and hoping this will help me see time gains

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Just one - get back to beating my 12 year old son in 5k races :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

I don't think i'll go down the road of setting time goals this year. Last year's goals in hindsight appear to have been quite soft and a bit pointless as a source of motivation.

For the purposes of reflection at the end of 2019 i'll record my times here, all of which were PBs set in 2018. I believe i still have big gains to make and hope to PB at all/most of these distances again in 2019.

5k - 23:33
    8k: 40:26
    10k: 49:48
    10m: 1:26:xx
    HM: 1:52:31
    Full: 4:27:09

Mileage wise I'd love to build on this year (close to 1500 miles) but unfortunately with some changes in circumstances at home i expect mileage to be even more challenging than it was this year so if i can match this year's i'll be very happy.

I've been doing strength work in the past month while i haven't been running so much and one of my goals is to keep it up and continue to record it for accountability to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

I love this thread, missed it last last year. Targets are in parts a bit aggressive to build on the good progress this year.
    1. Run a PB in Berlin, hopefully sub 3:30, PB 3:49
    2. Finish two marathons.
    3. Sub 20 5K, PB 20:32
    4. Sub 43 10K, PB 44:24
    5. Sub 1:30 Half, PB 1:35
    6. Sub 70 10M, PB 72:24
    7. Do a Cross Country race
    8. Do a trail half marathon
    9. Run 2,000 miles, Current total for 2018 1,754
    10. Try to run a negative split in a meaningful race, I'm tired of being passed by people at the end of races.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Have a relatively injury free year like this year. The single biggest impedement to me running well.

Slight increase in volume.

Gym 2 times per week.

Arbitary times:

3k: 9.30
    5k- 16.30

Both aggressive but achieveable if I can train consistent (see point numero 1).

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Started running end of March and did about 700km this year. No races but approx PB’s are 24.55 for 5km parkrun and about 54.00 for 10km

Goals for 2019:
    - run in a race
    - 23 min for 5km
    - 50 min 10km
    -avg 30km a week so total 1560km for year
    - under 4.00 for a 1km split
    - lose 10kg (lost 15 since March)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

If I write these down it might help. First goal is to keep running consistently 3-4 times a week minimum.

I was running regularly in 2013-14 and ended with DCM, picked up what I thought was a bruised foot just over 3 weeks before DCM. Made a lot of mistakes in training, running too hard too often, missing sessions as a result and struggling on all runs over 15 miles. Suffered in last 5 miles of marathon as a result, but was delighted to finish. Never got back running consistently afterwards and always had forefoot pain. Best part of 4 years later and finally have a diagnosis of psoriatic arthritis, some aggressive treatment and regular medication has it under control now and all goals are pretty dependent on keeping it that way. Running regularly for about 8 weeks now, 10k time from Run in the Dark, with only 3 weeks training. 5k from parkrun 2 weeks ago, 4 weeks into an 8 weeks plan.

PBs are all from 2014 and not sure I’ll get to that level this year so I’ll set slightly softer goals. I’ll be 36 in February and haven’t got the base I used to have from football training.

5k - 22.00 (pb 20.18, this year 24.14)
    10k - 46.30 (pb 44.47, this year 56.24)
    Half - 1.45 (pb 1.37.56)
    DCM - sub 4 (pb 4.00.39)

Main goal is DCM, signed up for Wicklow half at end of March, will aim for a 10k race in Feb, race series in build up to marathon and maybe another half along the way.

Considering joining Tallaght AC too, I live close and I think it’d help with the longer training runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Plan to run three marathons - DCM, Wexford and and one other maybe Belfast. Hope for two sub 3.30. Most importantly I need to put more emphasis on Diet and S&C rather than mileage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

My goals for the year are:

1. 5k sub 19:30. (PB 19:51) Have only gone sub 20 once so want to get under that consistently and push on
    2. 10K under 42 mins. Rarely race the distance and have never got it right when I have. Current PB of 43:30ish
    3. Half marathon under 1:33. Current PB of 1:34:59
    4. Marathon under 3:40. Signed up to Cork for my second marathon. Main goal is to run a composed race and enjoy it and not make a hames of it like the first one!

Happy racing in 2019 everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

Goals?
    Quite a few!

Top 3 in the Art ONeill Challenge
    To run 3:15 for 50k in donadea
    Top 10 UK 100k champs, Perth
    Sub 15 hrs for 100 miles whenever I get the chance
    155 miles for 24 hrs- Crawley, UK
    Top 5 in spartathlon- 153 miles
    Top 5 in Badwater- 135 miles (assuming I get in this time)
    Top 3 West Highland Way 95 miles (only if I don't get into Badwater)
    Top 20 in the world 24hr champs
    Sub 2:40 marathon
    Low 36.xx 10k
    Low 16.xx 5k

You have to dream!

Advertisement