Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Funny how these stories become a little clearer once you dig a bit.

See Margaret Cash, see Erica Fleming.

I’ve never been more convinced of my belief that these people are only to blame for their situation and it’s not the governments fault one bit.

Ireland has a remarkably generous state, if we even had one vaguely Conservative media outlet, people might see it but we are bombarded with sob stories.

RTE screening another one to do with travellers tomorrow night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I don’t think any right thinking person would disagree with you.

I’ve always said the biggest problem in this country is people’s refusal to take responsibility for their own choices and more importantly their own mistakes and problems.

Are you talking about the banks,property developers, politicians, the church, the gardai, the HSE, the government, DOH, doctors or the family in this case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Here is my reply to you again in case you missed it the first time.
    pablo128 wrote: »
    If you can't see the implication in those posts that you quoted, I'd be wasting my time trying to explain it any further.
    I am just asking you to point out where in those post where the poster said that locals may be involved in arson. Its very simple really.

Show us or just correct your post and admit that you may have mis-remembered the post. It's not a big deal, we are all wrong sometimes and it shows the good character of a poster who can admit their mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Are you talking about the banks,property developers, politicians, the church, the gardai, the HSE, the government, DOH, doctors or the family in this case?

What is this post even about?

I don’t get it, would you take a lend from your friend or someone and refuse to pay it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Everyone from the top down has to accept responsibility for their choices in life and be willing to accept the consequences if those choices go bad.

Simply saying ‘well x takes no responsibility so I won’t either’ or ‘x made me do it’ isn’t good enough.

This man has debts going back at least a decade which he apparently refused to pay. He brought this whole thing on himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

I don’t think any right thinking person would disagree with you.

I’ve always said the biggest problem in this country is people’s refusal to take responsibility for their own choices and more importantly their own mistakes and problems.

That's the problem it's a lack of responsibility /accountability from the top down. So the ordinary Joe sees the big boys getting away with it and says feck it sure I'll give it a go to . If there was a real sense of leadership in the country as opposed to the elected lining their own purse it'd prob trickle down along the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

PARlance wrote: »
    Reasonable folk will just walk on by, Gilroy, Yellow Vests and Roscommon will all be forgotten about again in no time.

I hope you are right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

That's the problem it's a lack of responsibility /accountability from the top down. So the ordinary Joe sees the big boys getting away with it and says feck it sure I'll give it a go to . If there was a real sense of leadership in the country as opposed to the elected lining their own purse it'd prob trickle down along the line.

Like I said it’s no excuse for shirking your responsibilities.

The ‘Top’ didn’t force this man to take out loans he couldn’t afford. It was his choice and his alone.

What is this post even about?

I don’t get it, would you take a lend from your friend or someone and refuse to pay it back?

I have no problem paying back loans I have taken. I have a mortgage and a business loan, I have never not paid on any debt ever, even when it was difficult for me.
    The country has created a situation where banks and developers have a culture of getting debt forgiven, why is it a surprise when ordinary people take the same stance?

I have no problem paying back loans I have taken. I have a mortgage and a business loan, I have never not paid on any debt ever, even when it was difficult for me.
    The country has created a situation where banks and developers have a culture of getting debt forgiven, why is it a surprise when ordinary people take the same stance?

The banks are paying back full their debts and loans??

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/aib-has-repaid-6-5bn-of-state-s-bailout-funding-1.2879781?mode=amp

“AIB has repaid €6.5bn of State’s bailout funds”

• Advertisement

pablo128 wrote: »
    Here is my reply to you again in case you missed it the first time.

You can have another go at clearing up your miscomprehension of what a previous poster said. Here it is again.

You said that in posts 94 and 105 that there might be an arson attack by locals.Where in these two post does the poster suggests that locals may burn the house? Could you please point it out.

post 94 "I wouldn't be surprised if there was a case of arson after the 'sold' sign went up."

post 105 "I didn't know they were fireproof. You think it wouldn't happen again? I couldn't think of a more negative sales pitch than what's just happened. Unless maybe discovering something like anthrax on the land......"

I understand that you dont want to admit your mistake but I find in life that actually taking responsibility for your errors brings great relief and joy to your life. It gives one a release. It's a bit like paying your debts, you know the thing that everyone should do.

The banks are paying back full their debts and loans??

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/aib-has-repaid-6-5bn-of-state-s-bailout-funding-1.2879781%3fmode=amp

“AIB has repaid €6.5bn of State’s bailout funds”

The loans were sold at a discount, the people of Ireland through the government are paying back the balance. The full value of the loans was not paid by the banks and the developers, Joe public took up the billions of slack.
    Thanks you Irish munchkins.

The loans were sold at a discount, the people of Ireland through the government are paying back the balance. The full value of the loans was not paid by the banks and the developers, Joe public took up the billions of slack.
    Thanks you Irish munchkins.

Did you miss this part?

“The bank intends to put the shareholder in a position whereby the full €20.8 billion invested in the bank by the State can be recovered and is confident of doing so over time,”

What effort did this farmer do to pay any of his debts back?

Did you miss this part?

“The bank intends to put the shareholder in a position whereby the full €20.8 billion invested in the bank by the State can be recovered and is confident of doing so over time,”

What effort did this farmer do to pay any of his debts back?

What about the state discount on the loans? Is this to be paid back to the state or are Irish citizens paying these billions because the banks made bad loans to developers. What effort did the banks make to pay these now state debts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

h2005 wrote: »
    What age do you become a pensioner in Roscommon?

These siblings are constantly being referred to as elderly pensioners, they are aged in their fifties and early sixties. well capable of still working and paying their bills :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Sad to see after everything Ireland has gone through after the last few years, that so many people automatically lean to the side of the banks/government/establishment. Will we ever learn?

Sad to see after everything Ireland has gone through after the last few years, that so many people automatically lean to the side of the banks/government/establishment. Will we ever learn?

I lean to the law abiding tax payers who have to pay for this mans criminal activities of not paying anything back.

Should we all follow suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Sad to see after everything Ireland has gone through after the last few years, that so many people automatically lean to the side of the banks/government/establishment.

As opposed to the baseball bat wielding scumbags and the VAT defrauders?

Yeah, it’s a travesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Because these people owe money and did not pay it back. Judges do not grant repossession orders lightly in Ireland. So there must have been quite an amount of intransigence on the debtors’ part to get to this point.

Also, every unpaid/delinquent mortgage is added as a cost to the mortgage/financial products for the rest of us. So we are indirectly paying for these debtors’ refusal to pay. Sorry, that’s not good enough for me.

I lean to the law abiding tax payers who have to pay fur this mans criminal activities of not paying anything back.

And how do you reconcile that with all the law abiding tax payers who propped up the banks? How many of those individuals dealt with the consequences of their actions?

• Advertisement

As opposed to the baseball bat wielding scumbags and the VAT defrauders?

Yeah, it’s a travesty.

or the UDA? You left them out.

I lean to the law abiding tax payers who have to pay fur this mans criminal activities of not paying anything back.

What about the bankers and developers and at least one government minister who didn't repay their debts?

And how do you reconcile that with all the law abiding tax payers who propped up the banks? How many of those individuals dealt with the consequences of their actions?

2 wrongs don’t make a right.

dudara wrote: »
    Because these people owe money and did not pay it back. Judges do not grant repossession orders lightly in Ireland. So there must have been quite an amount of intransigence on the debtors’ part to get to this point.

Also, every unpaid/delinquent mortgage is added as a cost to the mortgage/financial products for the rest of us. So we are indirectly paying for these debtors’ refusal to pay. Sorry, that’s not good enough for me.

you sure that last part is true? We're talking about interest rates, not insurance premiums.

2 wrongs don’t make a right.

But that's the point. They are not comparable. In one case the farmer is being held to the consequences of not supporting the debt. In the case of the banks etc. the vast vast majority weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

you sure that last part is true? We're talking about interest rates, not insurance premiums.

Banks have to recoup the cost of delinquent mortgages and they will do that across all their financial products.

But that's the point. They are not comparable. In one case the farmer is being held to the consequences of not supporting the debt. In the case of the banks etc. the vast vast majority weren't.

what about what about what about

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

i have watched it yes hence why i came to the conclusion i did.
    the fact they supposibly "resisted" doesn't matter to me as they weren't resisting arrest or the gardai moving them on which would be a different story as the gardai are the authority of the state unlike this lot.

NON-FATAL OFFENCES AGAINST THE PERSON ACT, 1997

18.—(1) The use of force by a person for any of the following purposes, if only such as is reasonable in the circumstances as he or she believes them to be, does not constitute an offence—

(d) to protect property belonging to another from appropriation

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    Banks have to recoup the cost of delinquent mortgages and they will do that across all their financial products.

more often they sell the bad debt, which is what happened in this case between KBC and Cobot.

Advertisement