Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Gimme a pound ,

The facts have already been laid out. Living
    In igornant bliss asking people to rub together 2 shiny pennies to encourage your idelogy of democracy does nothing new to add to the debate infact it just shows how unwilling you are to research or debate in a failed pyramid money ponzi scheme......meaning regardless if all mortgages are paid off it will make little difference it will just be replaced with more debt and you will fill your hate with something else

Some people are devoid of human emotion or interaction with intent on causing cruelty with whomever or whatever person they cross paths with......live and let live....go figure

Happy Christmas at least I will sleep a little lbetter tonight knowing 2 elderly people won't be homeless at least for this Christmas.

Kudos to people fighting this cruelty sympathies for the others.

Ah here John, the facts have been laid out the guy was a tax defaulter, and had a number of loans that he did not repay. If he was he a tax compliant citizen who genuinely did his best in life his legal representatives would in my view have got him a deal keeping his property and this would not be a national news story. Someone made a good point about lending into the area being compromised with genuine people in the area now possibly finding it harder to access credit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Ah here John, the facts have been laid out the guy was a tax defaulter, and had a number of loans that he did not repay. If he was he a tax compliant citizen who genuinely did his best in life his legal representatives would in my view have got him a deal keeping his property and this would not be a national news story. Someone made a good point about lending into the area being compromised

By that reasoning, every tax defaulter should be violently thrown out of their houses and battered on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

4ensic15 wrote: »
    By that reasoning, every tax defaulter should be violently thrown out of their houses and battered on the ground.

Bit of a jump there. Might want to check your logical reasoning. His actions as highlighted by the penalty applied to his settlement show it was of a deliberate nature and he wouldn't engage with Revenue. This coupled with his other debts show someone who has more than passing issues with his financial responsibilities.

Bit of a jump there. Might want to check your logical reasoning. His actions as highlighted by the penalty applied to his settlement show it was of a deliberate nature and he wouldn't engage with Revenue. This coupled with his other debts show someone who has more than passing issues with his financial responsibilities.

He deliberately under declared. There is no evidence he wouldn't engage with the Revenue. It has nothing to do with his unlawful eviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

That is not the link you posted. The act you linked to is listed under the schedule of repealed acts.

Even on your link http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/isbc/1924.html#a20_1924 you could have checked commencements etc. Look at No. 2

It is nonsense to suggest that there would have been big news if that provision was repealed and if there wasn't, then it wasn't repealed.

So they just repealed the whole act of anything to do with sheriff's. That's amazing, they literally have no power.

• Advertisement

milhous wrote: »
    So they just repealed the whole act of anything to do with sheriff's. That's amazing, they literally have no power.

They can have court messengers appointed to assist them.

They can have court messengers appointed to assist them.

Where is the amendment that states this?

Where is the amendment that states this?
    There is no amendment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

He deliberately under declared. There is no evidence he wouldn't engage with the Revenue. It has nothing to do with his unlawful eviction.

I'll take it slow for you. The 100% penalty is based on a deliberate default and, wait for it, non cooperation with Revenue. If you can be bothered, read the link below regarding penalties to see the proof of it.

His deliberate actions with Revenue add to the picture of how he ended up in the situation he did which led to his eviction. He a bad debtor. He doesn't engage. His problems are of his own making. I'm sure there may be some other potential evictees who would make better poster boys than this person.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/self-assessment-and-self-employment/documents/code-of-practice-revenue-audit.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Cakes and Ale

Dig back a little further and this might also be relevant [sorry it's a bit scrappy]. It's from Irish Independent, Thursday, November 12, 1998, 23.

LEGAL NOTICES

NOTICE FOR ENCUMBRANCERS Record No. E27/97 . (THE CIRCUIT COURT) MIDLAND CIRCUIT

COUNTY OF ROSCOMMON BETWEEN: ACC BANK pic - Plaintiff and-ANTHONY McGANN - Defendant ADVERTISEMENT FOR ENCUMBRANCERS PURSUANT to an Order of the Circuit Court made at Roscommon on the 10th day of June 1998 in the above entitled suit, all persons claiming to be encumbrancers affecting the interest of the Defendant, Anthony McGann, of Mount Browne. Strokestown, County Roscommon, in the hereditaments and lands known as ALL THAT AND THOSE the lands comprised in Folios 5888, 26-103. 32015. 32752 and13802F of the Register of Freeholders County Roscommon, together with all buildings, erections and improvements thereon and in the possession of the Defendant are on or before the 16th day of December 1998 to send by post to me at my office at the Courthouse, Roscommon, their christian and surnames, full particulars of their claims and the nature of the security held by them or in default thereof, they will be excluded from benefit of the said Order AND every person holding any encumbrance is to produce the same before me at my office aforesaid on tho 16th day of December 1998 at 2.30 o'clock p.m.. being the time appointed for adjudicating on claims and of which sitting all persons interested are hereby required to take notice.

Dated this 10th day of November 1998 SIGNED: WILLIAM G. LYSTER

COUNTY REGISTRAR COURTHOUSE ROSCOMMON COUNTY ROSCOMMON TARA GLYNN

SOLICITOR FOR THE PLAINTIFF ACC BANK,

CHARLEMONT PLACE DUBLIN 2

• Advertisement

There is no amendment.

So...They just got rid if it for the craic in a time when repossessions are at their highest level, and sheriff's are still using bailiffs...just seems bizzare

His eviction was very much lawful and I’ve seen plenty of videos, he was not assualted in any video I saw he was handeled in the same way bouncers throw people out of pubs every day of the week. This “assault” stuff is just made up by him or his many dole scrounger anti-establishment sympathizers who are too thick to actually understand the man is basically severe tax dodger, doesn’t pay his bills and doesn’t pay his loans. As I said earlier it’s a jail cell he should be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

With any luck the courts will find him in contempt and he will spend some time in mountjoy contemplating his many, many decisions to stick two fingers up at the banks and the courts for years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭l5auim2pjnt8qx

Crazy naivety. But when someone wants to believe something, there's no making them face the truth. They are not elderly by the way.

I repeat: people don't get evicted if they pay what they can, and engage with the bank. And I'm glad things are that way - not supporting that would be cruel. You don't get to depict me whatever way takes your fancy.

People who pay nothing or next to nothing for years, don't engage with the bank and ignore mountains of reminders are taking the piss, and there has to be a last resort. You want to believe that they are innocent victims who tried to pay what they could, but you know that's not true - just admit it.

It's incredible that you support people staying in a property but not paying towards it. And if your retort is that the banks should try to come to an arrangement with them, they have done - several times. That's how these things play out. Nobody wants an eviction - it is the absolute last resort after years.

What about the cruelty to the dogs?

It's amazing how little people are willing to engage in this story but with very little knowledge and keep resorting to the person's tax defaults for a reason for being beaten up,

in this case Some of the wealthiest people and corporations are privvy to tax defaults or tax avoidance and also many that fled to the uk for 12 months for bankruptcy reasons to get there debt written off.
    https://evoke.ie/2018/11/04/showbiz/odonnells-laragh-house-gorse-hill
    I will give this example again as to why .Ask yourselves who are the biggest tax defaulters are .

Going back to the real case 3 people were evicted on the grounds debt not being paid the worst should have been prison.1 man in his fifties another brother in his sixties and a sister in her sixties another retired Gardai 63 got assaulted punched 20/30 times by a criminal group of men from Northern Ireland while on duty Gardai turned a blind eye.........Something is profoundly
    wrong with this story and profoundly wrong with people that defend this type
    of behaviour.

The dog wasn't reportedly killed at this time it was another incident were the community rallied around and decided enough was enough and to get these bullies out.It a dog was killed (this is not condoning animal cruelty)I can only imagine it was a dog breed to kill judging by the likes of this criminal unregistered group of men.(do you know about the dog?) .

Most people in our society would judge people in there sixties elderly as the retiring age use to 65.

I would put it again why some people in our society it is ok to get there debts in the millions written off and not for ordinary folk who didn;t flee the country to be thrown under the bus.....are poeple ok for this to be happening on a daily people dragged out of there homes by the hair kicking and screaming.....Shame on Your ignorance.

are poeple ok for this to be happening on a daily people dragged out of there homes by the hair kicking and screaming.....Shame on Your ignorance.

But it's not their house. They used it as collateral to get a loan, they didn't pay the loan. It's now the banks.

Like if you bought a car, but didn't pay for it.. do you think you should go to jail (which costs the state about 70k per inmate per year) and then get to keep the cat after your jail term?

What happens when everyone stops paying their mortgage because evictions are not undertaken anymore? I just understand the logic. Every saying.. oh something has to be done, but not this.. oither avenues should be explored. They were, and when ppl don't leave forced evictions are the only way to get them to leave. It's reality

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I would put it again why some people in our society it is ok to get there debts in the millions written off and not for ordinary folk who didn;t flee the country to be thrown under the bus.....are poeple ok for this to be happening on a daily people dragged out of there homes by the hair kicking and screaming.....Shame on Your ignorance.

Has this guy tried to get his debts written off?

Has he tried to go bankrupt here or move to england to go bankrupt?

Has he done anything reasonably smart or done anything to co-operate at all?

If anyone is looking for a cheap property in roscommon there might be one coming up in the new year... I digress, in poor taste. Sorry about wrong forum

Carass sickening comment , Again the igornance of rehashing defaulters and not staying on topic

SO if he got his debts written off it 's ok then it is the debt that's really bothering you not the beating?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,134 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I can only hope that he starts playing ball, and keeps playing ball.

But if he doesn’t, I would hope the next time they turn up at the door there is more professionalism and time invested into the event. These things need to happen for our society to function, but they need to happen in such a way that do not leave room for this level of upset.

It simply has to be possible to carry out an eviction in such a way that doesn’t leave people bloodied on the ground with lads noting into a camera that they’re British. Has to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭DubCount

...incident were the community rallied around and decided enough was enough and to get these bullies out.

At the core of a civilized society is the rule of law. An Irish Judge in an Irish Court ruled that they should be evicted. The process allowed them to vacate in accordance with that Court Order without the need to be dragged out. In my view, it was their choice to be removed in the way they were, as they had the option to leave without conflict and ignored it.

The security/mob brought in for the eviction may have been from Northern Ireland, but that is not relevant. They were there to act on behalf of the Roscommon County Registrar/Sherriff to enforce an order of the Irish Courts. If they acted with undue force or committed an assault, that is a matter for the Guards and the Courts to deal with.

The locals may be behind these residents as they and their families have lived in the area for decades. That doesnt change the legality of the eviction, or that they could have left of their own accord. A local mob with baseball bats and high viz jackets is not the way justice is administered. In the same way that the Guards and Courts should deal with excessive force by the security firms, locals involved in criminal damage, assault or burning out cars etc. should face appropriate sanction by the Courts.

There seems to be much sympathy for the people involved due to their age and the fact we are 2 weeks from Christmas. The law is the law and should be applied to all equally. Should there be a cut off period before Christmas when legal action cannot be taken? Should that be 1 week, 2 weeks, 10 weeks etc.? Should there be a difference between the treatment of a 20 year old and a 60 year old? If a change to the law is required, lobby your TDs to have the law changed.

We have a system to deal with bankrupt individuals. Where they have assets (including a House that has been in the family for years), those assets should be sold to pay the people that are owed money before or during a bankruptcy process. Some rich people did avail or a shorter Bankruptcy process in the UK or elsewhere, and it is the job of government to address where those inconsistencies are allowed to happen.

Even ignorant types like myself are entitled to a belief in Due process and the rule of law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

DubCount wrote: »
    At the core of a civilized society is the rule of law. An Irish Judge in an Irish Court ruled that they should be evicted. The process allowed them to vacate in accordance with that Court Order without the need to be dragged out. In my view, it was their choice to be removed in the way they were, as they had the option to leave without conflict and ignored it.

The security/mob brought in for the eviction may have been from Northern Ireland, but that is not relevant. They were there to act on behalf of the Roscommon County Registrar/Sherriff to enforce an order of the Irish Courts. If they acted with undue force or committed an assault, that is a matter for the Guards and the Courts to deal with.

The locals may be behind these residents as they and their families have lived in the area for decades. That doesnt change the legality of the eviction, or that they could have left of their own accord. A local mob with baseball bats and high viz jackets is not the way justice is administered. In the same way that the Guards and Courts should deal with excessive force by the security firms, locals involved in criminal damage, assault or burning out cars etc. should face appropriate sanction by the Courts.

There seems to be much sympathy for the people involved due to their age and the fact we are 2 weeks from Christmas. The law is the law and should be applied to all equally. Should there be a cut off period before Christmas when legal action cannot be taken? Should that be 1 week, 2 weeks, 10 weeks etc.? Should there be a difference between the treatment of a 20 year old and a 60 year old? If a change to the law is required, lobby your TDs to have the law changed.

We have a system to deal with bankrupt individuals. Where they have assets (including a House that has been in the family for years), those assets should be sold to pay the people that are owed money before or during a bankruptcy process. Some rich people did avail or a shorter Bankruptcy process in the UK or elsewhere, and it is the job of government to address where those inconsistencies are allowed to happen.

Even ignorant types like myself are entitled to a belief in Due process and the rule of law.
    That was not the Roscommon county Sheriff and the northerners were not his staff. the County sheriff has no authority to recruit such people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

But it's not their house. They used it as collateral to get a loan, they didn't pay the loan. It's now the banks.

Like if you bought a car, but didn't pay for it.. do you think you should go to jail (which costs the state about 70k per inmate per year) and then get to keep the cat after your jail term?

What happens when everyone stops paying their mortgage because evictions are not undertaken anymore? I just understand the logic. Every saying.. oh something has to be done, but not this.. oither avenues should be explored. They were, and when ppl don't leave forced evictions are the only way to get them to leave. It's reality
    Exactly. Every other avenue has been explored already - this is the last resort after years. That's not ignorance - it's very much informed. A lot of people don't seem to know what ignorance means.

Why should someone who won't pay for the accommodation they live in, as per the terms and conditions, be left to indulge like that?

Shame on people who pretend it's unreasonable to put a stop to that self entitled sh1t.

People get evicted after years of taking the piss and refusal to engage and ignoring reminders. They are so arrogant.

Exactly. Every other avenue has been explored already - this is the last resort after years. That's not ignorance - it's very much informed. A lot of people don't seem to know what ignorance means.

He was never jailed for contempt, so not every avenue has been explored. If you don't pay for a car it doesn't mean the bank can come and bash you into a pulp and take the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'm glad I live somewhere that has consequences, don't pay your bill and you get turfed out and there won't be too much sympathy from anyone and why should there be. None of this Irish mentality nonsense and that's why I can get mortgage life time rates for between 1 and 2%. There are plenty of insurance options out there to cover for when times get rough.

He was never jailed for contempt, so not every avenue has been explored. If you don't pay for a car it doesn't mean the bank can come and bash you into a pulp and take the car.

Contempt of what. The order is to take possession of the property . That was done, force was used because they wouldn't leave.. suppose that's why they call it a forced repossession......
    Nobody beat anyone to a pulp they wouldn't leave so they were made leave, they obviously put up struggle, I watched the video and they were giving as good as they got. Now the are trespassing. I'd say the clever thing to do is wait till it settles, move them out in the new year.

If the bank got an order to seize the car, the sheriff would do it also, presumably with bailiffs for safety.. And if the defendant tried attacking them the bailiffs would subdue the defendant. I'm not sure why ppl think otherwise. No one got beaten, they got harmed by being asshats

Contempt of what. The order is to take possession of the property . That was done, force was used because they wouldn't leave.. suppose that's why they call it a forced repossession......
    Nobody beat anyone to a pulp they wouldn't leave so they were made leave, they obviously put up struggle, I watched the video and they were giving as good as they got. Now the are trespassing. I'd say the clever thing to do is wait till it settles, move them out in the new year.

If the bank got an order to seize the car, the sheriff would do it also, presumably with bailiffs for safety.. And if the defendant tried attacking them the bailiffs would subdue the defendant. I'm not sure why ppl think otherwise. No one got beaten, they got harmed by being asshats

The order is for possession, not to take possession. If someone does not acate the bank can apply to the court for an injunction ordering to vacate. If they refuse the court can order their arrest. That never happened so it can't be said all avenues were tried.
    the bank never get an order to seize a car and don't engage the sheriff to do so. They get agents who will follow the car and simply take it when it is left unattended. Being an asshat is not grounds for assaulting someone.

The order is for possession, not to take possession. If someone does not acate the bank can apply to the court for an injunction ordering to vacate. If they refuse the court can order their arrest. That never happened so it can't be said all avenues were tried.
    the bank never get an order to seize a car and don't engage the sheriff to do so. They get agents who will follow the car and simply take it when it is left unattended. Being an asshat is not grounds for assaulting someone.

The order is for the sherffs of the land to take vacant repossession. Also yes in the matters of debt, the sheriff's is to get the money or seize assets. Assets possibly being the car. Do people just say what they think and then automatically think its true!?

All avenues were not exhausted as stated ,no evidence to back this up,your now saying no one was beaten up but three 60 yr olds and 1 50 plus y.r old gave as could as they got off 8 criminals over 6 ft tall and most likely all over 17 stone and one dog.......stupidity is overwhelming.......now that you know the case of the individual why don;t you help him out with bankruptcy proceedings ...if all avenues have been exhausted.

It's also the right for people in this country under the Constitution to be able to live peacefully and in privacy in there own home.......shouldn't it be for illegal for institution's to allow people use there homes for collateral in attaining a loans.

Isn't it the duty of Government and Councils to provide social housing for people and if they can't shouldn't there salaries be used in contributing towards
    housing shelters.

Would you still feel the same if mobile phone companies inacted the same rule of thumb in collecting bills ...home will do nicely.

The public have seen what has happened, the public are outraged so they should be,this will not be forgotten nor it should be.

All avenues were not exhausted as stated ,no evidence to back this up,your now saying no one was beaten up but three 60 yr olds and 1 50 plus y.r old gave as could as they got off 8 criminals over 6 ft tall and most likely all over 17 stone and one dog.......stupidity is overwhelming.......now that you know the case of the individual why don;t you help him out with bankruptcy proceedings ...if all avenues have been exhausted.

It's also the right for people in this country under the Constitution to be able to live peacefully and in privacy in there own home.......shouldn't it be for illegal for institution's to allow people use there homes for collateral in attaining a loans.

Isn't it the duty of Government and Councils to provide social housing for people and if they can't shouldn't there salaries be used in contributing towards
    housing shelters.

Would you still feel the same if mobile phone companies inacted the same rule of thumb in collecting bills ...home will do nicely.

The public have seen what has happened, the public are outraged so they should be,this will not be forgotten nor it should be.

Actually the only outraged people that I've heard from are a bit thick. It's always someone elses fault and the poor innocent ppl don't know how the world works.. same crowd that want everythi g for nothing. Blames the government , the banks, their neighbour, their employer (if they work). They don't realise that it's all a simple giant balance sheet. If one person doesn't pay, someone else pays more. And because they are the ones not paying they're happy out with their ignorance..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

housing shelters.

The grammar and structure in this post makes it legitimately difficult to decipher.

To address the last - ludicrous - point, what phone company would be granted a court judgment for a debt of a few hundred quid? Or alternatively, who secures their phone contract on their house anyway? It's not even possible.

So in the terms of strawmen, you've hit the jackpot.

Advertisement