Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evictions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

7upfree wrote: »
    I hope they never knock at your door. Exceptions were made for banks. Billions of euro placed on the shoulders of the Irish people. The rules changed to accommodate them.
    Exceptions were made at a time when it was difficult for some to find work. Those days are gone almost. Anyone facing eviction does so because they've refused to engage with the lender.

It won't face me because by hook or by crook I'll pay my bills. If I come across hardship then I will engage with my mortgage provider.

In terms of your waffle about the exception being made for the banks, would you rather that all the banks failed? Should someone who refuses to engage with their mortgage provider, to the point that a court says get out, still be allowed stay in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Exceptions were made at a time when it was difficult for some to find work. Those days are gone almost. Anyone facing eviction does so because they've refused to engage with the lender.

It won't face me because by hook or by crook I'll pay my bills. If I come across hardship then I will engage with my mortgage provider.

In terms of your waffle about the exception being made for the banks, would you rather that all the banks failed? Should someone who refuses to engage with their mortgage provider, to the point that a court says get out, still be allowed stay in the house?

and the people saying the banks should have failed are always the ones that scream murder about 'vulture funds' ...not realising who buys the loan book when banks do fail...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

The farmer doesn’t seem that interested in repaying debts or addressing their financial situation.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/roscommon-eviction-farmer-has-unpaid-debts-going-back-years-1.3734439

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Gatling wrote: »
    Yeah

"The Existing Law

The sheriff may enter a debtor's premises for the purpose of seizing his goods in execution and may do so forcibly. He must, however, first make reasonable efforts to enter “peaceably and without violence”."

From https://www.lawreform.ie/_fileupload/Reports/rDebtCollection1.htm

Could only find in relation to the sheriff's Nd debt collection but that was a 5min internet search. So first reasonable efforts to do so without force, like we prob would have seen if the camera was rolling/not edited. And presumably then with force.

They obviously got notice of the eviction hence they had a posse of between 10 and 20 people there when the sheriff and his appointed bailiffs showed up (one of their friends have that info. on an interview they did). I think it's an interesting side line to take that one of the bailiffs was British, And therefore uproar. Obviously shouldn't have said anything but from what I see...

Chancers not paying their mortgage, lsnding institution went through courts for years, finally got an order for possession, defnedants notified and still didn't leave, sheriff and appointed bailiffs contacted them and told them to be out by X date. Sheriff turned up on X date, Still refused to leave, started being moved off site forcibly, bit of a scuffle.. queue poor quality camera phone for a snipet of a video.
    Instead of lookng at it as a sheriff and his appointed bailiffs, take exception to where they're from and roll with that being the problem. Tbf I'd say if the bailiffs were from mayo, cork or anywhere they'd still be looking for a reason to shout about how unjust it all is.

Gaurds were probably there be order of the county reg/sheriff under a posse comitatus. It's a court order, gardai have to show.

What I find sickening is the amount of people who th ijnk there should be no evictions, looking for the sad bit to bore us with all day long. You gotta pay, if you don't everyone else suffers, you're not sticking it to the bank, you're screwing over everyone else and the economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭l5auim2pjnt8qx

milhous wrote: »
    "The Existing Law

The sheriff may enter a debtor's premises for the purpose of seizing his goods in execution and may do so forcibly. He must, however, first make reasonable efforts to enter “peaceably and without violence”."

From https://www.lawreform.ie/_fileupload/Reports/rDebtCollection1.htm

Could only find in relation to the sheriff's Nd debt collection but that was a 5min internet search. So first reasonable efforts to do so without force, like we prob would have seen if the camera was rolling/not edited. And presumably then with force.

They obviously got notice of the eviction hence they had a posse of between 10 and 20 people there when the sheriff and his appointed bailiffs showed up (one of their friends have that info. on an interview they did). I think it's an interesting side line to take that one of the bailiffs was British, And therefore uproar. Obviously shouldn't have said anything but from what I see...

Chancers not paying their mortgage, lsnding institution went through courts for years, finally got an order for possession, defnedants notified and still didn't leave, sheriff and appointed bailiffs contacted them and told them to be out by X date. Sheriff turned up on X date, Still refused to leave, started being moved off site forcibly, bit of a scuffle.. queue poor quality camera phone for a snipet of a video.
    Instead of lookng at it as a sheriff and his appointed bailiffs, take exception to where they're from and roll with that being the problem. Tbf I'd say if the bailiffs were from mayo, cork or anywhere they'd still be looking for a reason to shout about how unjust it all is.

Guards were probably there be order of the county reg/sheriff under a posse comitatus. It's a court order, gardai have to show.

What I find sickening is the amount of people who th ijnk there should be no evictions, looking for the sad bit to bore us with all day long. You gotta pay, if you don't everyone else suffers, you're not sticking it to the bank, you're screwing over everyone else and the economy.

What part did you not get that the sheriff used an unregistered bunch of thugs from Northern Ireland to beat up elderly folk whatever screwed up notion that is used to justify it a week before christmas.

Even Leo suggested on 6 news questioned the judges decision suggesting he didn't view rhe case from all sides.

Now it is confirmed that the older & sister extremely traumitised by the ordeal have now been allowed to move back in.

It this was all above aboard KBC bank would have never allowed siblings to move back in.
    Judge , Gardai and the unregistered thugs from Northern Ireland with the media still calling them security are all in the wrong which has now been proven.....Sanity finally shining a light.

For the record we still remain one of the most indebted countries in the world per population wirh over 200 billion debt ,joe soap didn't bring about this- it was the elite borrowing of large commercials loans and write off in billions that got us here.

• Advertisement

What part did you not get that the sheriff used an unregistered bunch of thugs from Northern Ireland to beat up elderly folk whatever screwed up notion that is used to justify it a week before christmas.

Even Leo suggested on 6 news questioned the judges decision suggesting he didn't view rhe case from all sides.

Now it is confirmed that the older & sister extremely traumitised by the ordeal have now been allowed to move back in.

It this was all above aboard KBC bank would have never allowed siblings to move back in.
    Judge , Gardai and the unregistered thugs from Northern Ireland with the media still calling them security are all in the wrong which has now been proven.....Sanity finally shining a light.

For the record we still remain one of the most indebted countries in the world per population wirh over 200 billion debt ,joe soap didn't bring about this- it was the elite borrowing of large commercials loans and write off in billions that got us here.

Actually, afaik, for the actual eviction the bailiffs are signed on to a warrant. They don't need to be psa. However after the eviction happens as static security they do need to be registered with the psa.

I'm not sure of the evidence around whether or not they are registered tbf as the only reports I've read regarding that are on facebook and boards. I'm not sure what has been proven here, I've seen nothing to say anyone was acting in the wrong from any of the official parties involved (gardai and courts) and have just read the "isn't it terrible father" people.

Just on your last part, so due to the last global economic downturn, where pretty much everyone lost.. the lessons we'll take from that is if someone doesn't pay their mortgage or loans there should be no repercussions.. and their vat bill.. na... other debts they have... na Sure why start there .. just do what you want.. can't wait till everyone realises the dream world that would be with nobody paying tax or their loans.. nothing could possibly go wrong.. banks will keep lending, interest rates will be great.. no tax paid, sure **** it, the government will just print money.. no problems there. Why havent people noticed this utopian future before.. class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

They still need to pay their debts or make an effort to. It’s clear the farmer doesn’t believe in paying debts

The man owes half a million to revenue, a load of money to local business and obviously has badly defaulted on loans and/or a mortgage. He is no better than a drug dealer and deserved to be turfed out. The guards should have been arresting him and locking him up.

He is the kind of person who never pays his bills quite obviously and it’s laughable the way the morons are defending him and layabout dole scrounges with nothing better to do out protesting for them.

I really hope they are not let back in, it’s a serious cop out if they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm seeing that they have moved back in. Doesn't say that they were allowed back in. Doesn't say who, if anyone, allowed them back in.

The security staff in place was there to prevent them moving back in. No security staff, nothing stopping them from moving back in.

It will mean, however, that the next eviction in Strokestown will have a Garda presence after the eviction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Actually, afaik, for the actual eviction the bailiffs are signed on to a warrant. They don't need to be psa. However after the eviction happens as static security they do need to be registered with the psa.

I'm not sure of the evidence around whether or not they are registered tbf as the only reports I've read regarding that are on facebook and boards. I'm not sure what has been proven here, I've seen nothing to say anyone was acting in the wrong from any of the official parties involved (gardai and courts) and have just read the "isn't it terrible father" people.

Just on your last part, so due to the last global economic downturn, where pretty much everyone lost.. the lessons we'll take from that is if someone doesn't pay their mortgage or loans there should be no repercussions.. and their vat bill.. na... other debts they have... na Sure why start there .. just do what you want.. can't wait till everyone realises the dream world that would be with nobody paying tax or their loans.. nothing could possibly go wrong.. banks will keep lending, interest rates will be great.. no tax paid, sure **** it, the government will just print money.. no problems there. Why havent people noticed this utopian future before.. class
    The Sheriff is only allowed to have court messengers assist him in carrying out his duties. Those thugs were not court messengers.

• Advertisement

4ensic15 wrote: »
    The Sheriff is only allowed to have court messengers assist him in carrying out his duties. Those thugs were not court messengers.

Na they hire bailiffs too. Court messenger are full time staff, bailiffs are contract. Can be anyone as long as they're added to the warrant.

Na they hire bailiffs too. Court messenger are full time staff, bailiffs are contract. Can be anyone as long as they're added to the warrant.

Whast is your source for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

"I am ashamed of my own country for allowing this.......Good on for community looking to protect there own.
    You are deluded if you think this only happens in Ireland. Yeah good on the community for assault and killing dogs. :rolleyes:

The only reason the mob got angry was because of rage at wrongly availing of a service for free no longer being stood for.
    I would also like to think if I got into difficulty with mortgage that I would't want to be treated in this inhumane fashion that I live in a Democracy not a Dictatorship and I wouldn't have to leave the country or question my humanity...sickening
    It's not difficulty with the mortgage - it's not paying at all. Those in financial difficulty are helped out if they make arrangements with the bank and pay what they can, rather than paying nothing or next to nothing for possibly years, and not engaging with the bank and ignoring masses of reminders. Don't be so naive as to believe the populist tripe that you'll be evicted just for running into financial difficulty.

It happens in any democracy. I'd hope you'd pay up instead of leaving the country.
    Pussyhands wrote: »
    Personal responsibility means you should have an emergency fund set up to cover 6 months living costs.

I wonder how you would feel if you were renting a house to a tenant and they had "financial difficulties". Would you let them live there rent free?

Same thing with a mortgage. Let the house be repossessed and let someone who wants to live in it and pay a mortgage have it.
    Yeah I didn't say one word about living there for free. No need for quote marks around financial difficulties either. A person could lose their job and a nest egg might not be enough to tide them over while they look for work. The banks work with such people so long as they pay whatever they can.

That was repealed in 2016.

Source?

Sorry that just takes me back to the link I posted. Afaik the law relating to sheriff's has not changed (possibly amended and sections repealed?). I'm sure we'd have heard all about it from the anti evictions groups etc. It would have been pretty big news in 2016

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭l5auim2pjnt8qx

Gimme a pound ,

The facts have already been laid out. Living
    In igornant bliss asking people to rub together 2 shiny pennies to encourage your idelogy of democracy does nothing new to add to the debate infact it just shows how unwilling you are to research or debate in a failed pyramid money ponzi scheme......meaning regardless if all mortgages are paid off it will make little difference it will just be replaced with more debt and you will fill your hate with something else

Some people are devoid of human emotion or interaction with intent on causing cruelty with whomever or whatever person they cross paths with......live and let live....go figure

Happy Christmas at least I will sleep a little lbetter tonight knowing 2 elderly people won't be homeless at least for this Christmas.

Kudos to people fighting this cruelty sympathies for the others.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

A friendly reminder that this is the accommodation & property forum.

If you'd like to have a general rant about government/banks/economics, please find somewhere else to park your soapbox.

• Advertisement

Gimme a pound ,

In igornant bliss asking people to rub together 2 shiny pennies to encourage your idelogy of democracy does nothing new to add to the debate infact it just shows how unwilling you are to research or debate in a failed pyramid money ponzi scheme......meaning regardless if all mortgages are paid off it will make little difference it will just be replaced with more debt and you will fill your hate with something else

Some people are devoid of human emotion or interaction with intent on causing cruelty with whomever or whatever person they cross paths with......live and let live....go figure

Happy Christmas at least I will sleep a little lbetter tonight knowing 2 elderly people won't be homeless at least for this Christmas.

Maybe not, it seems like things are ramping up over there. Did they actually re enter the house illegally? Stay tuned to find out. I'm actually learning a lot from this event. Not least how mad the general public are and what people consider elderly. These guys prob have a good 40years in them ;)

Graham wrote: »
    Mod Note

A friendly reminder that this is the accommodation & property forum.

If you'd like to have a general rant about government/banks/economics, please find somewhere else to park your soapbox.

If anyone is looking for a cheap property in roscommon there might be one coming up in the new year... I digress, in poor taste. Sorry about wrong forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Gimme a pound ,

Crazy naivety. But when someone wants to believe something, there's no making them face the truth. They are not elderly by the way.

I repeat: people don't get evicted if they pay what they can, and engage with the bank. And I'm glad things are that way - not supporting that would be cruel. You don't get to depict me whatever way takes your fancy.

People who pay nothing or next to nothing for years, don't engage with the bank and ignore mountains of reminders are taking the piss, and there has to be a last resort. You want to believe that they are innocent victims who tried to pay what they could, but you know that's not true - just admit it.

It's incredible that you support people staying in a property but not paying towards it. And if your retort is that the banks should try to come to an arrangement with them, they have done - several times. That's how these things play out. Nobody wants an eviction - it is the absolute last resort after years.

What about the cruelty to the dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Gimme a pound ,

What the hell are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

For the record in this case the penalty applied by Revenue should give you a clue to this guy's mo. The penalty applied was 100% of the tax making it a deliberate default with no cooperation. 100% penalties are not applied at the drop of a hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The 200bn is public, national, State debt, not private debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, people who perform VAT fraud are cruel to the rest of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I don't understand how people feel sorry for these men, they default on loans, they default on tax, isn't some of this arrears/revenue debt starting back 20 years?

How do you evict a person who refuses to move or who actively resists? What peaceful options are there?

Sorry that just takes me back to the link I posted. Afaik the law relating to sheriff's has not changed (possibly amended and sections repealed?). I'm sure we'd have heard all about it from the anti evictions groups etc. It would have been pretty big news in 2016

That is not the link you posted. The act you linked to is listed under the schedule of repealed acts.

Even on your link http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/isbc/1924.html#a20_1924 you could have checked commencements etc. Look at No. 2

It is nonsense to suggest that there would have been big news if that provision was repealed and if there wasn't, then it wasn't repealed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

one way or another the state/tax payer is burdened with these scroungers probably no winners except the thousands more who will take there chances who will feel as equally entitled

Advertisement