Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭jd

DubCount wrote: »
    There is a left wing political element that disagree with any evictions, in any circumstances.

A lot of the people involved are not left wing eg Ben Gilroy and associated Freemen types.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,563 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

jd wrote: »
    A lot of the people involved are not left wing eg Ben Gilroy and associated Freemen types.
    The less said about that nutjob and group of nutjobs the better tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

What they should have done since last Tuesday was demolished the house and sheds, broke up the yard and removed all the rubble

Way easier get rid of it as just agricultural land

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

It is not the job of the Garda to supervise evictions, or did they. The Garda took part in facilitating an eviction by blocking roads and then ostensibly being present to ensure there was no breach of the peace did not intervene in an assault. GSOC are investigating. When someone refuses to vacate a dwelling or other premises the owner gets an injunction and if the person defies the injunction the owner has them brought before the court for contempt. If they refuse to vacate they are arrested by the Garda and brought to court and then to jail. that is the civilised way to do it. What was done in Roscommon by those bank hired thugs has no place in a civilised country. Nobody will buy that place from the bank after this. How could a new owner sleep there in peace?

'Alleged Assault' & GSOC will investigate if an allegation of wrongdoing is made against a Garda whether it is a valid allegation or not.

One assumes that the occupants were politely asked to leave and refused and had to be removed physically. One also assumes it will be the security companies position that only reasonable force was used and that any force was in response to force used against them. Self defense in other words.

There is no bank involved.

gctest50 wrote: »
    What they should have done since last Tuesday was demolished the house and sheds, broke up the yard and removed all the rubble

Way easier get rid of it as just agricultural land

Id say thats a possible outcome anyway. Can see that house burning down in due course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Askthe EA wrote: »
    'Alleged Assault' & GSOC will investigate if an allegation of wrongdoing is made against a Garda whether it is a valid allegation or not.

One assumes that the occupants were politely asked to leave and refused and had to be removed physically. One also assumes it will be the security companies position that only reasonable force was used and that any force was in response to force used against them. Self defense in other words.

There is no bank involved.

The bank was seeking to possess the property. Who else do you think was paying the security company? There was no sign of aynone being asked politey to leave.
    There is no evidence that this was a pSA registered security company. These were hired thugs. They thought they were going to get away with inflictting violence under Garda cover. They got their comeuppance. i doubt if their vehicles insurance will pay for the damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Why was the initial eviction so heavy handed? Are all evictions carried out in this manner with so many “security personnel”? Or was there a concern of significant resistance? Why 8 security guards looking after a small farm? All seems very odd.

While the eviction was ill-timed (just before Xmas) and possibly heavy handed (depending on Garda and GSOC) investigation, there is no justification for a pack of thugs beating people and dogs with bats and burning cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

garhjw wrote: »
    Why was the initial eviction so heavy handed? Are all evictions carried out in this manner with so many “security personnel”? Or was there a concern of significant resistance? Why 8 security guards looking after a small farm? All seems very odd.

While the eviction was ill-timed (just before Xmas) and possibly heavy handed (depending on Garda and GSOC) investigation, there is no justification for a pack of thugs beating people and dogs with bats and burning cars.
    Guessing they hired 8 due to this
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/farmer-who-told-two-men-to-strip-and-get-into-pen-with-boar-sent-to-jail-1.3081079?mode=amp

The bank was seeking to possess the property. Who else do you think was paying the security company? There was no sign of aynone being asked politey to leave.
    There is no evidence that this was a pSA registered security company. These were hired thugs. They thought they were going to get away with inflictting violence under Garda cover. They got their comeuppance. i doubt if their vehicles insurance will pay for the damage.

You cant take everything you see or read on facebook at face value hammer.

KBC sold this loan 2 years ago to Cabot. It is Cabot who sought repossession.

The video was clearly shot well into the confrontation so we have no idea how it escalated or who escalated it. But it is fair to believe that the occupants were warned to leave, yes? It is fair to assume the security company didnt just kick the door down?

You cant take everything you see or read on facebook at face value hammer.

KBC sold this loan 2 years ago to Cabot. It is Cabot who sought repossession.

The video was clearly shot well into the confrontation so we have no idea how it escalated or who escalated it. But it is fair to believe that the occupants were warned to leave, yes? It is fair to assume the security company didnt just kick the door down?

Have you seen the sale documentation between KBC and CABOT? A lot of so called sales of loans are not sales at all. The so called security group beat a man on the ground. if they encountered any resistance to taking possession they should have retreated and let the courts handle it. Instead they behaved like thugs laughing at people. The laugh is on them now.

• Advertisement

Have you seen the sale documentation between KBC and CABOT? A lot of so called sales of loans are not sales at all. The so called security group beat a man on the ground. if they encountered any resistance to taking possession they should have retreated and let the courts handle it. Instead they behaved like thugs laughing at people. The laugh is on them now.

I'll ask again. Do you believe the security company asked the occupants to leave before it got physical? Its a yes or no kind of question.

No I havent seen the documents, but thats moot and its a strawman argument youre trying to make anyway. The courts issued the repossession order, the occupants ignored it, the eviction happened.

Now we have the occupants still evicted, 3 in hospital, a dead dog and a number of people facing jail time if caught.

Madness.

The emboldened comment below would show why "the laugh" is not on them at all.
    If anything there is a result as the occupants are evicted and they defended the bank's (cabot's?) property.
    I'll ask again. Do you believe the security company asked the occupants to leave before it got physical? Its a yes or no kind of question.

No I havent seen the documents, but thats moot and its a strawman argument youre trying to make anyway. The courts issued the repossession order, the occupants ignored it, the eviction happened.

Now we have the occupants still evicted, 3 in hospital, a dead dog and a number of people facing jail time if caught.

Madness.

Madness.

There was no court order. That is not the way court orders are enforced. More than likely there were a few letters sent by the bank and then the "security" came without warning and took possession. I do not believe there were any request to the occupants to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

There was no court order. That is not the way court orders are enforced. More than likely there were a few letters sent by the bank and then the "security" came without warning and took possession. I do not believe there were any request to the occupants to leave.

According to a report earlier the former owner knew that the eviction was coming ,why do you think his rent a mob friends turned up to block the eviction ,it wasn't as random as being made out to be

• Registered Users Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭Homer

I really don’t believe you’re THAT stupid :confused:

Youre saying that an order of possession was not granted by the court?

Homer wrote: »
    I really don’t believe you’re THAT stupid :confused:

Just goes to show what you're dealing with tbh.
    I'm not sure if it's wilful ignorance of due process, or lack of knowledge, or listening to biased social media accounts but that post you have both quoted is factually inaccurate and dangerously so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭C3PO

Are you serious? Do you really think that a bank would physically evict people based on a "few letters" ... they are simply not that stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭C3PO

Yep ... looks like he may have received a "few letters" over the years alright!!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/roscommon-eviction-farmer-has-unpaid-debts-going-back-years-1.3734439

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

C3PO wrote: »
    Yep ... looks like he may have received a "few letters" over the years alright!!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/roscommon-eviction-farmer-has-unpaid-debts-going-back-years-1.3734439
    I'm so shocked that my monocle has fallen into my sherry.

• Advertisement

Not to Cabot. Also there was no order allowing the use of force.

[quote="Claw Hammer;108906714"Also there was no order allowing the use of force.[/quote]

There is no such thing as an order for the use of force

Gatling wrote: »
    There is no such thing as an order for the use of force

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Yeah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭l5auim2pjnt8qx

2 members of the family have been allowed return to the house.Medie came out with a statment that 2 family members want to be left alone.. Massive climbdown of a major F -up Government trying to nip this in the bud.

Murphy is in talks with KBC bank to allow 2 family members stay in the house and at the same time saying its up the Gardai ? To make a decision......deer caught in the headlights.

Cabot made a statement it had nothing to do with repossession.

Still no clarification security thugs were registered.....we know they weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭ted1

4ensic15 wrote: »
    The security guards violently assaulted people to take possession of the property. What right had they got to do that? What goes around comes around.

My understanding is that security guards in Ireland need to have a psa licence https://www.psa.gov.ie that needs to be worn at all times and also follow a code of conduct. Don’t think balaclavas are allowed. These guys are not security guards. They are hired thugs

While I’m not any eviction I don’t support this method.

Gatling wrote: »
    Yeah
    How are you so sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Came on here to get some background after hearing about this case today and it it making my blood boil, I have looked at the repossession/eviction thinking that it was going to be a pitched battle and lets be honest it was done slowly with the minimum of force and under the eye of local Gardai. Still i think well at least the guards made sure that it was all above board. The i start seeing posts/links/articles coming up about this guys numerous unpaid loans. How did he get the loans with such a dodgy track record is my question. The banks lending depts have some culpability here lending to money to someone who was such an obvious bad risk. That guy lived by the sword borrowing not repaying, under declaring VAT...we all know the rest of the saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

All the rest of us suffer if there are no evictions - we have to pay higher taxes and higher mortgage rates to compensate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

hmmm wrote: »
    All the rest of us suffer if there are no evictions - we have to pay higher taxes and higher mortgage rates to compensate.

I hope they never knock at your door. Exceptions were made for banks. Billions of euro placed on the shoulders of the Irish people. The rules changed to accommodate them.

And yet they carry on business as normal.

This country.

Advertisement