Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What kinda dish’s you looking for? Gyros? Souvlaki?

yes exactly, and hummous and pitta etc..

I know ORSO does a little of it but would love the whole greek package.. the way they chargrill meats etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

sporina wrote: »

I know ORSO does a little of it but would love the whole greek package.. the way they chargrill meats etc

Does ORSO do Taziki? Love Greek food myself. Souvlaki covered in lemon juice

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Does ORSO do Taziki? Love Greek food myself. Souvlaki covered in lemon juice

not sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

I'd say Nosta would have a few Greek bits. I've yet to get in there but looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

What are peoples thoughts on Luigi Malones? For lunch, was looking at the €11 deal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

What are peoples thoughts on Luigi Malones? For lunch, was looking at the €11 deal?

personally i find it one of the worst places in cork.

the only good thing is if you have kids there's a lot of space for buggies etc

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Market Lane would be much better and I'm sure they have a similar lunch deal? Soup and half sandwich and one of their tasty chocolate pots.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

I'd say Nosta would have a few Greek bits. I've yet to get in there but looking forward to it.

Nosta is really more Turkish, but their meat plates, which are basically deconstructed kebabs with grilled, whole pieces of meat, are great.

Not a fan of their tzatziki myself as it's basically just yogurt with herbs on top.

yeah i have been - only once - there was such a draught running through the place, I never went back..

don't rem the food - think i was too cold to enjoy it..

it might be worth a revisit though

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I wasn't incredibly impressed with Nosta, had some flatbreads with spiced meat. The flavouring wasn't great for me, and quite overpriced for what it was.

• Advertisement

House Cafe in the opera House has done some great flavoured food, way above what other places are offering and well priced IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

sporina wrote: »

Defo try Nosta. Get the lamb grill. Chargrilled and ****ing delicious. They have pittas hummus and tatziki too.

Defo try Nosta. Get the lamb grill. Chargrilled and ****ing delicious. They have pittas hummus and tatziki too.

yeah might have to give it another go

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

So I have a group of friends over for new years. We have decided to go out for dinner on the 30th.. Majority are veggie and we wanted to go to cafe paridiso but it is closed as its a sunday. Waiting to ring Orso as they are normally closed sundays too.

Anyone any other really good veggie places? I'm not a fish fan,and I find italian more homely than fancy but anything else could be an option!

Might have to be indian at this rate!

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    So I have a group of friends over for new years. We have decided to go out for dinner on the 30th.. Majority are veggie and we wanted to go to cafe paridiso but it is closed as its a sunday. Waiting to ring Orso as they are normally closed sundays too.

Anyone any other really good veggie places? I'm not a fish fan,and I find italian more homely than fancy but anything else could be an option!

Good day deli?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Good day deli?

Not open for dinner. Closes at 5

not sure that there are any good indians in town - how about Market Lane? They usually have a few veggie options.. had a fab halloumi salad last time i was there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yeah market lane do good veggie stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Check out Jacobs on the Mall.
    They have a vegetarian menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Check out Jacobs on the Mall.
    They have a vegetarian menu.

and the worst staff and service I've ever encountered. Ruined my anniversary meal one year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

rob316 wrote: »
    and the worst staff and service I've ever encountered. Ruined my anniversary meal one year.

I have to say I eat there on a regular basis and always find the staff really nice. The food is always consistent and I’ve never had a problem there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yeah, they can be a little funny in there actually with the service. They have a bee in the bonnet about the menus, probably around pricing?

They've a bunch of menu's, vegan, veggie, ordinary. I love the food. But I wanted to order a veggie main course and something else for a starter, and they flat out wouldn't let me. Had to be all from the same menu, from me. I said I'd pay whatever the higher set price was... nope. So, I traded with someone else on the table and we swapped plates when they arrived.

Don't really get it. I mean, the same food is coming out to the table, who cares what person received it. Anyhooo.
    Love the restaurant, and the food. And for the most part, bar that one weird thing, service was good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Stuff like that comes down to poor management, very simply. It's amazing how many decent places are ran so poorly.

Good news for me! Orso is open ! :) for anyone that wants to know they are open Sunday 23rd all day & Sunday 30th from 4-10pm serving dinner menu.

Just nobody go on the 30th around half 7 because I have 7 people to try squeeze in there :pac:

pwurple wrote: »

They've a bunch of menu's, vegan, veggie, ordinary. I love the food. But I wanted to order a veggie main course and something else for a starter, and they flat out wouldn't let me. Had to be all from the same menu, from me. I said I'd pay whatever the higher set price was... nope. So, I traded with someone else on the table and we swapped plates when they arrived.

Don't really get it. I mean, the same food is coming out to the table, who cares what person received it. Anyhooo.
    Love the restaurant, and the food. And for the most part, bar that one weird thing, service was good too.

That is absolutely ridiculous. From working with my sister in a kitchen we can never understand why places wont acccomodate you if you are asking for something they clearly have in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Cork Lass wrote: »
    I have to say I eat there on a regular basis and always find the staff really nice. The food is always consistent and I’ve never had a problem there.

I'd give everywhere a 2nd chance but not here no way.

Wait time was nearly 1.5 hours between starter and main. Not one apology, just kept telling me it was on the way, after an hour they realized the waiter never put through our mains. If I had been there with anyone else than my wife I would of flat out refused to pay.

They didn't offer me a discount for the appalling service or even send over a bottle of wine.

I paid 50 euro a head, you expect so much better for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

rob316 wrote: »
    I'd give everywhere a 2nd chance but not here no way.

Wait time was nearly 1.5 hours between starter and main. Not one apology, just kept telling me it was on the way, after an hour they realized the waiter never put through our mains. If I had been there with anyone else than my wife I would of flat out refused to pay.

They didn't offer me a discount for the appalling service or even send over a bottle of wine.

I paid 50 euro a head, you expect so much better for that.
    Did you complain and ask for a discount on the night?

If not, maybe send them a formal complaint by email afterwards?

Failing all that, no harm slating them online.

I did the first two after a horrendous experience at Cornmarket. After getting no reaction from them I went online. All of sudden my phone was ringing with the Muppet of a manager whining to me. They offered a free meal then. I said no thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Good news for me! Orso is open ! :) for anyone that wants to know they are open Sunday 23rd all day & Sunday 30th from 4-10pm serving dinner menu.

Just nobody go on the 30th around half 7 because I have 7 people to try squeeze in there :pac:

Yikes. Good luck with that. Any more than 4 and they normally look at you funny..

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Walking down in Monkstown the other day and got caught in a shower, ran into Napoli, a wee Italian cafe there, some of the best coffee I ever had and the panino was great, would recommend it to anyone down that way. Lovely little place with real friendly staff, i think they do dinners but only at the week-end.

• Advertisement

who_me wrote: »
    Yikes. Good luck with that. Any more than 4 and they normally look at you funny..

Well they have a heads up in my message so hopefully they will be ok!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement