Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UN Migration Pact Ireland's Position?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    Ah, the old gay bashing routine comes out.

It's never far away with the extreme right.
    Extreme right bla bla. Is Arthur Griffith the founder of Sinn Fein extreme right in your eyes? Do you even know who he is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Extreme right bla bla. Is Arthur Griffith the founder of Sinn Fein extreme right in your eyes? Do you even know who he is?
    Is he the lad that owns a park up in Lucan?

DS86DS wrote: »
    And those of us "Far Right", simply referred to as nationalists in times past are more than thoroughly correct.

https://amp.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/sep/26/muslim-majority-in-france-projected-in-40-years/

Thank you very much "enlightened" leftists. The whole of Europe, having survived thousands of years of wars and invasions......all to be confined to the dustbin of history thanks to people like you

Enjoy been a smug liberal lefty when then punishment for theft is for a hand to be chopped off....or the punishment for homosexuality is to be thrown off a roof.

You'll get very far under Sharia Law, your so arrogantly confident of that fact.
    "Sharia Law". :D

Yeah, you don't sound like a paranoid fantasist, or anything. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

Is he the lad that owns a park up in Lucan?
    You really are dumb as a brick and proud of it. Your username and political affiliation checks out.

You really are dumb as a brick and proud of it. Your username and political affiliation checks out.
    No. I'm definitely not. :pac:

It's sad to have to explain this, but I threw in a deliberately sarcastic answer there to annoy you. At this stage, you don't deserve to be taken seriously.

Please do keep trying to second guess my political affiliations, though, by all means.

I'll just say one more thing to you - not all Celtic supporters or people who go to Hill 16 are "Shinners". I have voted for them in the past, as I have for several broadly left-aligned parties, but am unlikely to do so next time - I'll probably vote Green, or perhaps Social Democrat.

Though I'm not in the least surprised at your paucity of imagination.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

As another Dubs supporter, I'd like to apologise to the rest of the country on behalf of idiots like him.

You see, unlike other parts of the country where football and hurling are the lifeblood of the community.......... unfortunately in Dublin we have many idiots who support Dublin because it's currently trendy to do so.

It's like those parents in well-to-do areas who call their sons and daughters the most Gaelic name they could find in the lifestyle section of the Irish Times.........and send their kids to Irish speaking schools and ensure that little Fionn and Sorcha get involved in the local GAA club...

... because their "mum" would be loike totes morto if all the other neighbours kids are involved and theirs isn't.

Funnily enough it's the same crowd that would give out yards to anybody for pointing out that Irish rugby doesn't play the national anthem like all other sports, bar perhaps cricket or something like that.

It's why in Dublin, a large modern city overrun with trendies.....we have unusual cases like hill16bhoy who insists on his pride in his county.....yet within the same paragraph, berate anybody who is proud of been Irish and wants to keep his or her country Irish.

It's insincere.....and following the Dubs for such people is the "in thing"....so they'll jump on board. It's not like the rest of the country and in small communities in particular, where football is the lifeblood of the community.......or where pride in nation and heritage are an important part of one's life and Identity.

No doubt, a trip to Hill 16 is a side activity for hill16bhoy in between a bout of yoga......and a coffee evening with the local yuppies.

He likes to put himself across as a salt-of-the-earth True Blue Dub......but he is anything but.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Yes, and likely he/she implied 'english' in the traditional sense, and as used by the ONS.

The Indian man in London certainly can be English (or more likely, 'British'), but when it comes to filling in census forms and official documents, when asked about 'ethnicity' he would have 'no other choice', but to tick the 'indian' box.

The fact remains, 'british-whites' are an ethnic minority (under 50%), along with all other ethnic minorities (all also under 50%) in London.

The fact remains that 63% of people in London were born in the UK and a further 24.5% born in Europe. That information is available in the same census. With that in mind, the claim that English are a minority in their own capital is completely false.

What you have chosen to do is deliberately exclude all ethnicities other than white people born in England. There is no justification for this other than outright racism. You have effectively said that non-whites aren't really British because you don't see them on a par with white people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

The fact remains that 63% of people in London were born in the UK and a further 24.5% born in Europe. That information is available in the same census. With that in mind, the claim that English are a minority in their own capital is completely false.

I should have looked at my own sources more closely (I didn't look at them at all in actuality). The number of non-citizens in London is significantly under half the population.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The quality of posting here from multiple posters in the last 24hrs or so is well below standard.

Up the standards or cards/bans will be next up.

Thanks

I should have looked at more own sources more closely (I didn't look at them at all in actuality). The number of non-citizens in London is significantly under half the population.

What are you basing this on though? The 2011 census says 63% were born in the UK. Are you saying the citizenship rate is much lower than this?

• Advertisement

DS86DS wrote: »
    As another Dubs supporter, I'd like to apologise to the rest of the country on behalf of idiots like him.

You see, unlike other parts of the country where football and hurling are the lifeblood of the community.......... unfortunately in Dublin we have many idiots who support Dublin because it's currently trendy to do so.

It's like those parents in well-to-do areas who call their sons and daughters the most Gaelic name they could find in the lifestyle section of the Irish Times.........and send their kids to Irish speaking schools and ensure that little Fionn and Sorcha get involved in the local GAA club...

... because their "mum" would be loike totes morto if all the other neighbours kids are involved and theirs isn't.

Funnily enough it's the same crowd that would give out yards to anybody for pointing out that Irish rugby doesn't play the national anthem like all other sports, bar perhaps cricket or something like that.

It's why in Dublin, a large modern city overrun with trendies.....we have unusual cases like hill16bhoy who insists on his pride in his county.....yet within the same paragraph, berate anybody who is proud of been Irish and wants to keep his or her country Irish.

It's insincere.....and following the Dubs for such people is the "in thing"....so they'll jump on board. It's not like the rest of the country and in small communities in particular, where football is the lifeblood of the community.......or where pride in nation and heritage are an important part of one's life and Identity.

No doubt, a trip to Hill 16 is a side activity for hill16bhoy in between a bout of yoga......and a coffee evening with the local yuppies.

He likes to put himself across as a salt-of-the-earth True Blue Dub......but he is anything but.
    I've been going regularly to Dublin football and hurling matches, home and away, League, O'Byrne Cup etc., and football and hurling matches involving other counties and clubs, since 1986, mate.

I've played football and hurling for club, school and college, and played in Croke Park.

I've forgotten more about the GAA than you could ever learn in a lifetime.

Do try and open your mind. The level of neuroticism and paranoia displayed in your post here is both hilarious and frightening.

Frankly, I expect it's the sort of neuroticism that would make it very difficult for a person to function in any way normally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

The Daily Express sells little compared to the likes of the Mail, Sun, or Mirror. However it still greatly outsells the extreme left's news handbook i.e. the Guardian - which sells the very least of all daily national newspapers.

Q. Did you actually check the 2011 census for youself?
    A. No.

The 'White British' classification only makes up 44.9% of all Londoners. So compared to all other enthicities combined (that are not white british), they would indeed appear to be technically outnumbered as such.

Why does this matter? The UK has generations of non white people, many from countries that they colonised. Non white British are as British as anyone else.
    It's very highly likely in this case the other poster meant 'white english', or even muti-generational, traditional english.

Looking at the census, it does not ask directly if you are 'english' it is only interested in ethnicity. And 'white english' is a minority compared to all others combined.

You can be English-Indian, but the census doesn't even ask that.
    It only has a tick box option for Indian.

It asks which ethnicity you are, not nationality or colour (aside from the white-british, white-other, or other-black options).

Write you concerns to the ONS.

So basically it's not significant at all as I'm guessing regardless of ethnic background, the percentage that are British citizens is much higher than 44% because plenty of those people have been born and raised in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

What you have chosen to do is ....

What you have choosen to do is ignore the official ONS statistics, to suit your own agenda, and resort to stereotyping and name calling anyone that disagrees with you. Shameful, but expected behaviour.

Data is data, it doesn't have an opinion, don't try to falsify or twist it to suit your own ideals or agenda.

e-ldn.png

If you have a problem with the 2011 census for London, address your concerns with the folks that design the questions, process and compile it.

batgoat wrote: »
    Why does this matter?

Doesn't matter, it's simply data that is all it is.
    The sky is blue, that's what it is.

What you have choosen to do is ignore the official ONS statistics, to suit your own agenda, and resort to stereotyping and name calling anyone that disagrees with you. Shameful, but expected behaviour.

Data is data, it doesn't have an opinion, don't try to falsify or twist it to suit your own ideals or agenda.

e-ldn.png

If you have a problem with the 2011 census for London, address your concerns with the folks that design the questions, process and compile it.

I haven't ignored anything. The claim was that English people in London are a minority. You then supported this claim by posting census data showing white British people are a minority in London. So either you didn't read fully the post you were supporting or you don't consider non-whites to be English.

Doesn't matter, it's simply data that is all it is.
    The sky is blue, that's what it is.

I am pointing out that plenty of those non white people are as British as anyone else. Not disputing the stats, merely pointing out that they have nothing to do with the topic and has more to do with an ethnic mix that isn't a new aspect to Britain.

I haven't ignored anything. The claim was that English people in London are a minority. You then supported this claim by posting census data showing white British people are a minority in London. So either you didn't read fully the post you were supporting or you don't consider non-whites to be English.

It was fairly obvious the other poster was implying the traditional native white english type, as is shown in the census data.

It's generally accepted that black, indian or other will classify themselves as e.g. 'british'-indian (if there is an option to do so {there isn't on the census form, just indian}, and they wish to). Very, very rarely as 'english-indian'.

I am pointing out that plenty of those non white people are as British as anyone else. Not disputing the stats, merely pointing out that they have nothing to do with the topic and has more to do with an ethnic mix that isn't a new aspect to Britain.

Would agree, many are happy to be classed as 'british', but very rarely as 'english'.

The other poster by refrencing 'english' was clearly implying the traditional notion otherwise would have used the more encompassing term of 'british'.

The Census shows that both 'white-engish' and/or 'white-british' are a minority in London i.e. under 50%, that is all.

It was fairly obvious the other poster was implying the traditional native white english type, as is shown in the census data.

It's generally accepted that black, indian or other will classify themselves as e.g. 'british'-indian (if there is an option to do so {there isn't on the census form, just indian}, and they wish to). Very, very rarely as 'english-indian'.

It may well have been what he meant but it's not what he said. If you exclude people from a nationality because of their ethnicity then you are racist. Simple as. Three of you have done that so far. The fact remains that there is no evidence English people are not a minority in London unless you exclude non-white English people.

It may well have been what he meant but it's not what he said. If you exclude people from a nationality because of their ethnicity then you are racist. Simple as. Three of you have done that so far. The fact remains that there is no evidence English people are not a minority in London unless you exclude non-white English people.

Yep, same stat actually shows 37% of those living in London were born outside of the UK... So most people in London are British...

• Advertisement

To anyone with an ounce of obvious sense of course it is what was he meant.

Again, many people of other ethnicities would never class themselves as english, but certainly perhaps with a british- prefix.

By your twisted judgement you are calling the Office for National Statistics a racist organisation, that reeks somewhat of sheer desperation.

So most people in London are British...

But what type of British, as according to the ONS and the Census the majority are not white-british in London.

Yes many, many may well be indian-british, or afro caribbean-british (even if born in the UK).

When the Census asks the question, they don't have a catch-all tick box when asking individuals what they consider their ethnicity to be, do they.

To anyone with an ounce of obvious sense of course it is what was he meant.

Again, many people of other ethnicities would never class themselves as english, but certainly perhaps with a british- prefix.

By your twisted judgement you are calling the Office for National Statistics a racist organisation, that reeks somewhat of sheer desperation.

I've no issue with the stats. They show that the majority of people living in London were born in the UK.

It would be interesting to know whether English descendants of Irish immigrants are counted as "English" by certain posters here.

Say, for example, John Lydon aka Johnny Rotten of The Sex Pistols. Father from Tuam, mother from Cork.

Similarly with the Gallaghers of Oasis. Father from Meath, mother from Mayo.

I have a funny feeling very few would question their Englishness or Britishness.

But what type of British, as according to the ONS and the Census the majority are not white-british in London.

Yes many, many may well be indian-british, or afro caribbean-british (even if born in the UK).

When the Census asks the question, they don't have a catch-all tick box when asking individuals what they consider their ethnicity to be, do they.

Yep but once again irrelevant. The poster even already said they were mistaken so I'm not sure why you're fighting this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭Sand

English people are a nation, an ethnic group which emerged in the early medieval period and which are descended from both Celtic Britons and the Germanic tribes which entered the country with the fall of the Roman Empire and those who have merged with that ethnic group since then.

English identity is distinct from the imperialist/multi-national British identity. Recognising the English as a distinct ethnic group does not deny anyone their British passport or British identity.

The ethnic English are a minority within their own capital. Birmingham will shortly follow and no doubt in more and more towns and cities in the next decade or two. That dramatic demographic shift has occurred in just two generations, due to mass migration and declining birth rates.

It would be interesting to know whether English descendants of Irish immigrants are counted as "English" by certain posters here.

Johnny Rotten.... Oasis.

I have a funny feeling very few would question their Englishness or Britishness.

They may well class themselves as either 'white-english', or 'white-other' on the census form, even if born there to Irish parents.

That clearly demonstrates the sheer 'ease of assimilation' of celtic-germanic Europeans, esp. the Irish within Britian.

Compare that to the slow and painful integration of other cultures, which may not even speak a word of English or have any prior interest or shared cultural experiences of the land of Britian.

They may well class themselves as either 'white-english', or 'white-other' on the census form, even if born there to Irish parents.

That clearly demonstrates the sheer 'ease of assimilation' of celtic-germanic Europeans, esp. the Irish within Britian.

Compare that to the slow and painful integration of other cultures, which may not even speak a word of English or have any prior interest or shared cultural experiences of the land of Britian.

You're really struggling to answer a simple question here.

I didn't ask you for more flagrant racism which is utterly ignorant of the historical treatment of Irish people in Britain.

I asked are Lydon and the Gallaghers English?

Why can't you give a straight answer instead of trying to deflect?

I asked are Lydon and the Gallaghers English?

Why can't you give a straight answer instead of trying to deflect?

Are they, have you asked them personally? They could well be, it's indeed likely or probable they may consider themselves to be.

I didn't ask for you flagrant racism upon the english, which is utterly ignorant of the current treatment (not historical attitudes, many generations ago) of Irish people in Britain. Shame on you.

If they (theselves) consider themselves to be, that clearly demonstrates the sheer 'ease of assimilation' of celtic-germanic Europeans, esp. the Irish within Britian.

• Advertisement

the historical treatment of Irish people in Britain.

Do you still carry hate in your heart against them, sure why can't we all live in peace, it's 2018.

Advertisement