Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

BBFAN wrote: »
    I'm sure regulations can be put in to make sure that doesn't happen.

I have one at the back of my property in Dublin that my daughter lives it, she loves it, it's warmer than the main house, virtually free to run and gives her great privacy.

We have no planning permission but nice neighbours.

I know what you mean though, it could be exploited but even if it is they certainly are nicer to live in than some of the ****holes we've seen advertised on here.

As another poster mentioned, great for your daughter but for the average joe then forget about it. You will find that any of these sheds come with extreme rules as if you lived in the house itself with the family, no friends allowed, no over night stays other than the tenant, no parties, no loud music.

And all for the cheap cheap price of 1000 beans in some cases! F*ck that, i'd rather live with my granny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

https://lovindublin.com/dublin/dublin-bed-one-euro.....creepy
    Sorry link not working how do I add pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

ziggy23 wrote: »

Click Post Reply and go across to Insert Image.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Sorry not with it today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

What the f...

It's pretty much this from the UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

Sorry not with it today

sick stuff. I hope this guy will be pranked a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Sorry not with it today

That has to be a joke! Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Moonjet

What the f...

It's pretty much this from the UK

The wife won't be happy with my plans for the spare room then. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

That has to be a joke! Jesus wept.

A joke? In which world do you live? Exploiting women whenever the chances are there and chances are promising it's top priority!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Sorry not with it today

Isn't that the plot of Maudie?

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You will have your own TV, Computer, Internet, Bedroom and can venture out on your own a few nights a week if you wish.

How generous of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

^^^^
    "Must enjoy deep conversation" i.e. listen to him talking ****e for hours on end...

I hope that is a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

He's looking for someone;
    "18 - 35 years old - Calm Personality but Enjoys Deep Conversation - Possible but not essential characteristics, Submissive Personality - Unemployed (with no desire to work - I can facilitate this) Unambitious - Does not want or have kids - Nature lover - Calm - Affectionate..
    I am genuine and will make any potential woman as happy as I can. You will have a quiet comfortable life with no responsibilities and you will be cared for very well. You will have your own TV, Computer, Internet, Bedroom and can venture out on your own a few nights a week if you wish.

Sounds like he wants a human pet!! My cat sleeps in my bed, listens to me wittering on about everything with no complaints, zero ambitions or responsibilities except eat, sleep & maul random toys, enjoys the outdoors, no balls so he can't have kids, watches Youtube videos of birds & squeaky things, nature stuff on TV, gets to come in & out when he pleases.....plus he doesn't have to cook or clean, :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I think we should set him up with a financial domination girl and get her to tease him to hell and give him nothing. ha ha :D:D:D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I reckon the provided computer has a webcam

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

He should have advertised for a sex doll because that's basically what he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

It has to be a joke surely lads?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

How do I contact him?.............asking for a friend. ;)

Does he accept HAP?

BBFAN wrote: »
    It has to be a joke surely lads?
    You don't know the real world if you're sure that's a joke! (it could be of course, but....).

Real life is stranger than most of us can ever imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

You don't know the real world if you're sure that's a joke! (it could be of course, but....).

Real life is stranger than most of us can ever imagine.

No, I'm not sure it's a joke, that's the scary thing. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

WTF has happened in Dublin ??? :O
    I just checked a tiny 3 bed house in D13 (sutton area) and was going for €2,250 a month!!!
    I would have thought €1,800 MAX!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

TomSweeney wrote: »
    I just checked a tiny 3 bed house in D13 (sutton area) and was going for €2,250 a month!!!

Welcome to 2018. It's been kind of a big deal this past decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

TomSweeney wrote: »
    We got evicted from a tiny 3 bed in Sutton (Binn Eadair View?) this time last year. Given notice in June 2017. "Major renovations". Place was painted, and 3 windows at the front replaced. Went back on the market for €2,250 this time last year.

It's madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Zulu wrote: »
    We got evicted from a tiny 3 bed in Sutton (Binn Eadair View?) this time last year. Given notice in June 2017. "Major renovations". Place was painted, and 3 windows at the front replaced. Went back on the market for €2,250 this time last year.

It's madness.

You can't blame some landlords - accidental landlords especially - when they're being taxed as much as they are. Lower rent, bigger tax bill vs income. Some people simply can't afford to charge lower rents.

For example, if you're an honest landlord looking to cover a 1k a month mortgage and charge 1k a month rent - you're open to a yearly tax bill of about 4 or 5k. Which comes from other income (ie a job) where you're already taxed 50% on. So you have to earn 10k to pay that 5k tax bill unless you pull a stroke to hike the rent to cover the tax bill.

Thats madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

The Nal wrote: »
    You can't blame some landlords - accidental landlords especially - when they're being taxed as much as they are. Lower rent, bigger tax bill vs income. Some people simply can't afford to charge lower rents.

For example, if you're an honest landlord looking to cover a 1k a month mortgage and charge 1k a month rent - you're open to a yearly tax bill of about 4 or 5k. Which comes from other income (ie a job) where you're already taxed 50% on. So you have to earn 10k to pay that 5k tax bill unless you pull a stroke to hike the rent to cover the tax bill.

Thats madness.

Has something changed in the tax system for landlords recently? I thought everyone paid tax on their income, including landlords.

Maybe I'm getting mixed up, but I always assumed that a landlord collected rent, claimed a variety of allowances like the value of the furniture and fittings, the cost of maintenance, etc. and paid tax on the rest. Maybe someone could fill in the gaps for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

You can't blame some landlords - accidental landlords especially ...

Thats madness.
    I certainly can blame our old landlord. They decided to evict. I can also blame the government who introduced the crazy 4% rent cap, which encouraged the landlord to evict as opposed to just upping the rent.

As I said, it's madness.

I'm a landlord (accidental) myself. I've a 2 bed renting for €1K per month. I could be earning twice that if I risked the RTB and evicted for "renovations". But, I cant afford a solicitor, an over-holding tenant, a fine, or a long drawn-out RTB hearing. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

1k a month rent - you're open to a yearly tax bill of about 4 or 5k.

They need a new accountant.

Thats madness.

This wrecks my head.

Your 1000 quid a month mortgage covered by 1000 quid a month rent could leave you with a 4-5k tax bill?

A: as someone else said, get yourself a new accountant. 12k a year income and 5k tax bill?

But more importantly,

B: When you sell the house, all the proceeds are yours. Someone else has paid the mortgage for you. Poor poor landlords, average house price is 350k nowadays and that's recent prices, everyone knows how low they were 15 years ago!
    So my heart bleeds for the poor landlord class.

Even if they were to pay 4k a year in tax, that's 100k over 25 years. When they sell, they'll get vastly more.

Anyway....

All this is vastly off topic, apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

This wrecks my head.

Your 1000 quid a month mortgage covered by 1000 quid a month rent could leave you with a 4-5k tax bill?

A: as someone else said, get yourself a new accountant. 12k a year income and 5k tax bill?

But more importantly,

B: When you sell the house, all the proceeds are yours. Someone else has paid the mortgage for you. Poor poor landlords, average house price is 350k nowadays and that's recent prices, everyone knows how low they were 15 years ago!
    So my heart bleeds for the poor landlord class.

Even if they were to pay 4k a year in tax, that's 100k over 25 years. When they sell, they'll get vastly more.

Anyway....

All this is vastly off topic, apologies.

Pretty big assumption to make that everyone who is landlord is one for more than 10 years. Some (like myself) bought at the peak.

I had a tennant who paid no rent for 18+months and we only got him out because he was deported. Before he left he caused damage to the property which cost over €10,000 to repair - and that was at mate's rates. All told 20+months with no rent (incl. repair time) and another €10K+ on top of that out of my pocket. PRTB (Ireland's most useless quango) dropped the case before the hearing date as he was deported. We tried to pursue him for criminal damage while he was still here but Gardai and solicitor informed us there was no point as again, he was being deported. Gardai didn't even charge him with it as they said "we have enough to deport him"....basically they couldn't be bothered as they wanted him for other "misdeeds".

He was spotted by my OH back in Dublin less than 6 months after the deportation. Contacted the Garda Immigration Office and PRTB. "Sorry, nothing we can do as we don't know where he is now........."

Had another tennant (Irish) who was also a complete nightmare for other reasons.

I'm sure you've heard this line before but I couldn't say to the bank during that time "sorry I can't pay the full mortgage this month as my tennant didn't pay the rent". I've always had to top up the rent to cover the mortgage - so your "someone else paid the mortgage for you" line isn't factually correct in all cases.. Someone else paid part of the mortgage - whilst they were availing of a service (if you want to call it that). I never took the p*ss on rent, but I got screwed for it. In addition to tax on rent and many other expenses (LPT etc.), you also have you have Capital Gains applicable to most sales.

This "all landlords are evil money grabbing scumbags" rhetoric is just getting completely out of hand. Are there scumbag landlords? Yes. Are they in the majority? I don't think so.

Advertisement