Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Did I read that right? Is that €1000 a month for a bedroom with shared facilities 'a short walk away'?

Ignoring the cost... my dream home! And you can only stay 6 months anyways...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Graces7 wrote: »
    OK this is IT!

My absolute dream home!!!!!!!!!

https://www.longtermlettings.com/r/rent/tav_6838297/

Sheer bliss!

Crusty heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

you can buy similar pods for about 10 to 15 000 euro. To stay in that place for 1000 euro and having to share your space with campers and who knows, hen and stag nights might be interesting. You'd be sharing an open shelter for a kitchen and communal washing facilities. I suppose it's ok if you like a lot of coming and going and lots of excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/dublin-city-council-set-to-allow-families-build-log-cabins-in-back-gardens-888117.html

Jeeeeesus H .... So essentially they are going to legalise landlords taking the piss.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

redcup342 wrote: »
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/dublin-city-council-set-to-allow-families-build-log-cabins-in-back-gardens-888117.html

Jeeeeesus H .... So essentially they are going to legalise landlords taking the piss.

People Before Profit, yeah, right...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I wonder how many will look like the photo in that link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Here is a quote from Richard Boyd-Barrett from earlier this year
    Asking the private market to solve this problem is like asking the fox to look after the chicken coop. It is madness.

Looks like PPB are now trying to put the fox in the coop.

you can buy similar pods for about 10 to 15 000 euro. To stay in that place for 1000 euro and having to share your space with campers and who knows, hen and stag nights might be interesting. You'd be sharing an open shelter for a kitchen and communal washing facilities. I suppose it's ok if you like a lot of coming and going and lots of excitement.

the house was the dream, not the setting... like the tiny houses. You just do not get it?

PS have you any idea where South Ronaldsay is? Back of the Orkneys and as remote as they come.

I will dream on....

xzanti wrote: »
    Crusty heaven.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Graces7 wrote: »
    the house was the dream, not the setting... like the tiny houses. You just do not get it?

I do understand, I used to live in a wooden house myself. I'm objecting to the idea that that setting would be suitable as a more permanent residence. Buy some land and place a pod on it, or put it in a garden. It's outrageous that housing could bring in such profit. You could pay off your investment in less than 2 years. Also, if you live in a small 'temporary space' you have to be careful to look after it and keep it organised. It can soon become a hovel. Think storage and wet clothes, added to the fact that you are exposed to the elements to prepare your meals.
    I know how hard it can be to live without 'facilities ' and how much extra work is involved, I had no running water or electricity. I would not expect anyone else to live such a hard life, there's no need except for choice and that can come at a cost to the general community . We need to lift standards, not return to past times.

• Advertisement

I do understand, I used to live in a wooden house myself. I'm objecting to the idea that that setting would be suitable as a more permanent residence. Buy some land and place a pod on it, or put it in a garden. It's outrageous that housing could bring in such profit. You could pay off your investment in less than 2 years. Also, if you live in a small 'temporary space' you have to be careful to look after it and keep it organised. It can soon become a hovel. Think storage and wet clothes, added to the fact that you are exposed to the elements to prepare your meals.
    I know how hard it can be to live without 'facilities ' and how much extra work is involved, I had no running water or electricity. I would not expect anyone else to live such a hard life, there's no need except for choice and that can come at a cost to the general community . We need to lift standards, not return to past times.

sigh! Dreamers... . I love that pod, period. Why take it so seriously ? and yes we choose our lifestyles. If you knew my past and current life....

So I will dream on... as dreamers do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

That's not what it's about though. It's to allow families to build them for their own family?

BBFAN wrote: »
    That's not what it's about though. It's to allow families to build them for their own family?
    and then rent them out!
    Most likely.

and then rent them out!
    Most likely.

I'm sure regulations can be put in to make sure that doesn't happen.

I have one at the back of my property in Dublin that my daughter lives it, she loves it, it's warmer than the main house, virtually free to run and gives her great privacy.

We have no planning permission but nice neighbours.

I know what you mean though, it could be exploited but even if it is they certainly are nicer to live in than some of the ****holes we've seen advertised on here.

I have one at the back of my property in Dublin that my daughter lives it, she loves it, it's warmer than the main house, virtually free to run and gives her great privacy.

I know what you mean though, it could be exploited but even if it is they certainly are nicer to live in than some of the shítholes we've seen advertised on here.
    I understand that for many honest people, it's a good way of supporting their families.
    We do know that there are many out there who will rent them out and no one will do anything about it, even if they knew it was unlawful.

I understand that for many honest people, it's a good way of supporting their families.
    We do know that there are many out there who will rent them out and no one will do anything about it, even if they knew it was unlawful.

Yeah you're probably right. I just think they're better to live in than a damp cold old bedsit.

You'd have to see one to know how cosy they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,255 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not the worst offender, but id hate to be paying €1400 a month to live in someone’s garage in Kildare.

https://www.donedeal.ie/houses-for-sale/two-bedroom-house-for-rent-in-newbridge/20351504?campaign=2

That's not a garage - it's a tardis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

I know what you mean though, it could be exploited but even if it is they certainly are nicer to live in than some of the ****holes we've seen advertised on here.

For your Daughter yes, you have a personal relationship with her. For the average Joe looking for a place on daft, this thread is proof that there are greedy people out there looking to just make a quick buck.

Regulations don't matter when the current regulations (and usually they are called guidelines anyway) are not enforced properly. The state of the rental market in Ireland is an absolute joke (and has been for as long as I can remember)

Renting is not taken seriously in Ireland, almost every single rental property I can think of is filled with the cheapest crappiest furniture the landlord could find. That coupled with "oh jesus when are you going to buy a place" pushes the property market up and down like a yoyo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

What the crystal meth is going on here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,169 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The house plan looks the exact same as a lot of houses that are built in Galway city. I used to live in one of those houses, and it looks the same as the 'master suite', which had an en suite. Same door location, built in wardrobes, mirror & plug location

It's like they removed the wall between the en-suite and the bedroom and just made it open plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

There was a house in an episode of Crowded House on RTE recently where the top of the bedside locker slid forward to reveal a toilet underneath...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

DrPhilG wrote: »
    There was a house in an episode of Crowded House on RTE recently where the top of the bedside locker slid forward to reveal a toilet underneath...

Sorry love, I know its 3 in the morning but this curry needs to exit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

'30,000 empty homes and nowhere to live' A Guardian article on the Dublin housing crisis which I just started reading at the moment. https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/nov/29/empty-dublin-housing-crisis-airbnb-homelessness-landlords?CMP=share_btn_tw&fbclid=IwAR0Hb5wg4LSCbVFvyekDREBAHK-Zj4h3NNR-2A1P8ziFO_4rGAwnwJz7LOM

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

engiweirdo wrote: »
    What the crystal meth is going on here?

Is that a fully fitted kitchen in the garden shed, not even mentioned in the description?? :confused:

This is obviously adapted as rental property and being marketed as such, you could make some money renting that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,010 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

'30,000 empty homes and nowhere to live' A Guardian article on the Dublin housing crisis which I just started reading at the moment. https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/nov/29/empty-dublin-housing-crisis-airbnb-homelessness-landlords?CMP=share_btn_tw&fbclid=IwAR0Hb5wg4LSCbVFvyekDREBAHK-Zj4h3NNR-2A1P8ziFO_4rGAwnwJz7LOM

Jesus... erica fleming, the Take back the city lunatics, one of margaret cash's sprogs, and not one hard question asked

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Erica never mentioned if she got her draughty windows in her forever home fixed or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Is that a fully fitted kitchen in the garden shed, not even mentioned in the description?? :confused:

That's the extension, not the shed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    That's the extension, not the shed

So it is.

Whoops! :o

Advertisement