Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Margaret Cash steals €300 worth of clothes from Penneys and aftermath/etc!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Not true.
    When there was the marriage ban on women etc etc and large familes in Ireland the world did not cave in.

you're not even trying now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Not true. When there was the marriage ban on women etc etc and large familes in Ireland the world did not cave in.

SW wasn't as generous, plus different times religion played a big part in family size plus access to contraception was almost non existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,166 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Not true.
    When there was the marriage ban on women etc etc and large familes in Ireland the world did not cave in.

Feck off with your 1950's paternalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Her cynical ploy of exploiting her kids in a Garda station removes any sympathy she should get.
    She also does not seem very thankful when people do try to help her.
    The way she says the council are doing nothing for her, when it is not true, shows what her character is like.
    Hand on hip and confrontational.
    Traveller or non-traveller the woman is a right wagon, no matter how you look at it.

A few days ago she was a right wagon, now shes an example for all mothers.
    Genuine question, are you actually on a windup here?

SW wasn't as generous, plus different times religion played a big part in family size plus access to contraception was almost non existent.

access to contraception was illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,261 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This is what I find funny most on this thread are extremely quick to point out the negatives in traveller culture.
    Some exaggerate the stereotype, others are clearly anti-traveller no matter what.
    They brand all of them the same!

But there are positives in traveller culture as well.
    There are also negatives in the society at large (mostly non-travellers) such as part-time parenting (working parents).
    But when this is pointed out peoples cages get rattled slightly as it is rarely said, as it has become the norm now.

It is more then a bit ironic.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

gwalk wrote: »
    so culture excuses paedophilia?

Hardly.

Also I could be wrong but I'm guessing travellers don't take too kindly to instances of pedophilia, I reckon you would get a good beating or worse.

Marrying off kids at age 16 is another matter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭cloudy90210

This is what I find funny most on this thread are extremely quick to point out the negatives in traveller culture.
    Some exaggerate the stereotype, others are clearly anti-traveller no matter what.

There are also negatives in the society at large (mostly non-travellers) such as part-part-time parenting (working parents).
    But when this is pointed out peoples cages get rattled slightly as it is rarely said, as it has become the norm now.

Would ya shut up with this "part-time parenting" malarkey?

Would ya shut up with this "part-time parenting" malarkey?

well now it's moved on to part-part-time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

There are also negatives in the society at large (mostly non-travellers) such as part-part-time parenting (working parents).

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

lawred2 wrote: »

That's even less than part-time! We'll have fields full of feral kids in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

Thing is that you're not pointing out a positive. You're talking about a negative side effect.

Most of the kids in the traveller community don't get educated. Their daughters are told their entire life that their purpose is to be pretty, get married, have children and keep the house clean. The lack of education is supporting this as the girls don't really get to think outside the box. It's a form of having control over women because I can guarantee you that if they were kept in school, they wouldn't be getting married that young and I also believe that most of the girls there would have an ambition to make something of themselves in life. They are being controlled, have been controlled for generations, and you are incredibly happy about it, calling it a positive thing.

Thing is that you're not pointing out a positive. You're talking about a negative side effect.

Most of the kids in the traveller community don't get educated. Their daughters are told their entire life that their purpose is to be pretty, get married, have children and keep the house clean. The lack of education is supporting this as the girls don't really get to think outside the box. It's a form of having control over women because I can guarantee you that if they were kept in school, they wouldn't be getting married that young and I also believe that most of the girls there would have an ambition to make something of themselves in life. They are being controlled, have been controlled for generations, and you are incredibly happy about it, calling it a positive thing.

yeah but he's already harked back to the marriage ban in a positive context so it's clear what he thinks of women..

he's either a troll or a relic of a now thankfully gone Ireland

A few days ago she was a right wagon, now shes an example for all mothers.
    Genuine question, are you actually on a windup here?

I never said she was an example to all mothers she is still a wagon.
    But the example to mothers from the non-travelling community could take is that she sees herself as a mother first and foremost.

Where the majority of working parents fall down (mostly non-traveller) they try and do both at full tilt. But then they are full time workers and part time parents.

Would a slightly lower standard of living for one working parent (if possible) with the other staying at home not be the best of both worlds?
    Otherwise as I said they are not parents but part-time parents.

If people want to be part-time parents and do the superman/superwoman bit good luck to them.
    But I find it an enormous contradiction, work comes first and children come second, yet its costs to have then cared for by a paid stranger (if no relative is available).

Part time inception

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

yeah but he's already harked back to the marriage ban in a positive context so it's clear what he thinks of women..

he's either a troll or a relic of a now thankfully gone Ireland

Can I ask, as an ignorant foreigner... what is this marriage ban about? I don't think I've heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I notice you weren’t able to come up with one of these ‘positives’...

That is the aspect of traveller culture that could be improved on.
    There is a happy medium (education - marry later - job - stay at home with kid) the other extreme of the majority of non-travellers two parents working, but rarely seeing thier kids is wrong in my view as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

If people want to be part-time parents and do the superman/superwoman bit good luck to them. But I find it an enormous contradiction, work comes first and children come second, yet its costs to have then cared for by a paid stranger (if no relative is available).

Maggie seems happy to have a country full of strangers pay for her children. Yet it is responsible taxpayers you are slating. Anyway that's enough nonsense to deal with so early in the working week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Can I ask, as an ignorant foreigner... what is this marriage ban about? I don't think I've heard of it.

Basically in the past when a woman married she had to leave

https://www.thejournal.ie/giving-up-work-when-married-1852776-Dec2014/

• Advertisement

Basically when a woman got married she gave up her job. It applied in the civil service, the banks and other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Should I pull my kids out is school to avoid getting labeled a part time parent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

With all due respect why should we give a fück about other people’s children when their own parents can’t even be bothered to worry if they’ll have a roof over their head?

If I have the responsibility of kids I’d have my own

Because they're vulnerable. Our efforts to deal with the problem are inadequate.

That is the aspect of traveller culture that could be improved on.
    There is a happy medium (education - marry later - job - stay at home with kid) the other extreme of the majority of non-travellers two parents working, but rarely seeing thier kids is wrong in my view as well.

Rarely seeing their kids is a complete over exaggeration. Why doesn't everyone in the world just not work and have kids and use social welfare

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I notice you weren’t able to come up with one of these ‘positives’...

I already said them in another post.

Should I pull my kids out is school to avoid getting labeled a part time parent?

Ya should have pulled out before ya had any kids :)

once married, many women had to leave government, civil and public service positions

I'm sure many private organisations followed suit

think it wasn't fully lifted until the seventies

the halcyon days where gormdumbgorm is concerned

once married, many women had to leave government, civil and public service positions

I'm sure many private organisations followed suit

think it wasn't fully lifted until the seventies

the halcyon days where gormdumban is concerned

those days were class tbf.

the wimminz at home makin the dinner for you and absolutely gaggin for some action after being alone the whole day

those days were class tbf.

the wimminz at home makin the dinner for you and absolutely gaggin for some action after being alone the whole day

You’ve never seen confessions of a window cleaner! :D

• Advertisement

You’ve never seen confessions of a window cleaner! :D

whats that pre-tell me

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement