Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost-Effective, High-Functionality, User-Friendly Replacement for Pay TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭NewClareman

I meant to ask ...... is there a setting in which you determine whether the tuners do an idle and or initial EPG scan?
    If so delete that option for the USB tuner and it should use the other one.

Couldn’t find any setting that allows me to select the in-built tuner. Anyway, I’ve a bigger issue - a standard scan is also failing on the Terrestrial inbuilt tuner. The only way I can get it to scan is by first using the DVB-T frequency finder. This finds a “2RN1 terrestrial” provider, and both mux’s. However, only one mux scans. I’m giving up on it for now, it’s taken enough of my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭McBain11

Hi lads, I've decided to ditch the Virgin TV setup. Their broadband is very good, but the tv box and setup isn't worth the cost at all.

Reading through the threads on the forum here, it seem that the Tiviar Alpha + combo box is a very good setup. I'm very new to all of this and not very technical so excuse my ignorance on a lot of this!

First of all, is this the exact box I need to get?

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/tiviar-alpha-plus

Are there any add ons I need to buy with that? If so, what should I be looking at?

Basically, what I'm hoping to have is

- all the Irish and UK free channels on one easy to navigate setup (no switching)
    - lots of recording space (do i need to buy the extra hdd drive for this?)
    - 7 day EPG guide
    - series recording ability if possible

I've read through bits here and I see NewClareman has done phenomenal work on this thread. Would an absolute rookie like me be able to set up this box in the way you mentioned in the first few posts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated lads.

McBain11 wrote: »
    Hi lads, I've decided to ditch the Virgin TV setup. Their broadband is very good, but the tv box and setup isn't worth the cost at all.

Reading through the threads on the forum here, it seem that the Tiviar Alpha + combo box is a very good setup.
    First of all, is this the exact box I need to get?

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/tiviar-alpha-plus

Are there any add ons I need to buy with that? If so, what should I be looking at?

Would an absolute rookie like me be able to set up this box in the way you mentioned in the first few posts?

Yeah, that’s the box we used. Choose:
    1. 1TB HDD
    2. 8GB USB Stick

Once you can download and flash an image, you’re good to go.
    Apart from that you’ll need an aerial for the Irish Channels and a dish for the uk ones.

For some of the functionality, but not what you listed, you’ll need an internet connection. If you’re planning to use this I’d recommend purchasing the Tecnomate homeplugs at the same time.

There’s lots of help around here, should you run into difficulties.

Thanks a million NewClareman. All sounds good. In terms of recording, is it possible to record one channel and watch any others, or are there certain limitations. eg. If I'm recording rte1 on this box, am I able to watch rte2 or bbc1 at the exact same time?

Thanks a million NewClareman. All sounds good. In terms of recording, is it possible to record one channel and watch any others, or are there certain limitations. eg. If I'm recording rte1 on this box, am I able to watch rte2 or bbc1 at the exact same time?

I’m assuming you’ll have a Terrestrial Aerial and a dual feed satellite dish. With these you can watch/record at least one Irish Channel and at least two uk channels. You’ll find more info if you search through this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 bramblesTitus

Is there any professional installer who will supply and fit this kind of setup in Dublin, with the emphasis on the 'user-friendly' bit?

Just seeing this now as I finally cancelled with EIR. Did you ever get a pro installer to do this for you?

a clanger wrote: »
    The only problem we have so far is the lack of a kids bouquet !!. The channels may well be there but I haven't found a way to access them yet if anyone could provide a few pointers

I've just uploaded a new image with a Children's Bouquet. I also took the opportunity to update the software packages.

AuouBouquetMaker is installed in this version, turned off. (I hope to use it later.)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

@NewClareman Thanks again for the work on the children’s bouquet

@McBain11 ditched sky before Xmas due cost and tried Virgin media box. I/family did not like this, found the layout and configuration very convoluted and difficult for HQ (wife) to navigate. Returned within 14 day cooling off period
    I bought the above box based on reading this thread. Downloaded the files installed my own disk and found it a simple procedure. No technical knowledge is required. I had some issues of my own making and got fast accurate solutions from the chaps here. .....NCM has even added the kiddy channels 48hrs after my initial query...
    Using navigating recording and playback are simple and straightforward. The layout of the EPG is like TV growing up Rte’s followed by Bbcs etc ...
    Buy it you won’t regret it. I’ll buy it off you if you don’t like it :)

Thanks got the feedback clanger :-) I agree the info on here is top notch and some serious work was put in by NewClareman on this thread and other lads on other threads in this forum.

I will most likely buy this box over the weekend and then hopefully get it sorted and up and running the following week when I've a few days off work.

Just one query before I buy the box, I have a 1TB WD Elements hard drive at home. Have some photos, a few movies etc. on it. If I wipe those is it possible to use that as the HDD device for recording on the Tiviar box. Or should I make sure and get the add on 1TB hard drive installed when I buy it.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Thanks got the feedback clanger :-) I agree the info on here is top notch and some serious work was put in by NewClareman on this thread and other lads on other threads in this forum.

I will most likely buy this box over the weekend and then hopefully get it sorted and up and running the following week when I've a few days off work.

Just one query before I buy the box, I have a 1TB WD Elements hard drive at home. Have some photos, a few movies etc. on it. If I wipe those is it possible to use that as the HDD device for recording on the Tiviar box. Or should I make sure and get the add on 1TB hard drive installed when I buy it.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

You would be as well add a drive as this box takes internal drive. Those Western digital elements can come with a proprietary connection so you would end up simply using usb, internal would be quicker.

• Advertisement

You would be as well add a drive as this box takes internal drive. Those Western digital elements can come with a proprietary connection so you would end up simply using usb, internal would be quicker.

Cheers The High Horse. Spot on, I'll get the added drive :-)

I was going to order the Tiviar on world of satelite with HDD etc, sold out so I'm looking at this one instead but I don't think there's any HDD installed for recording. Or USB. Are these easy enough to buy/set up once I just pick up the box itself? As I can't seem to find one to buy with the HDD installed!

This is what I'm looking at

http://www.satworld.ie/tiviar-alpha-plus-triple-tuner-combo.html

Sorry for the silly questions lads. Any help appreciated.

I was going to order the Tiviar on world of satelite with HDD etc, sold out so I'm looking at this one instead but I don't think there's any HDD installed for recording. Or USB. Are these easy enough to buy/set up once I just pick up the box itself? As I can't seem to find one to buy with the HDD installed!

This is what I'm looking at

http://www.satworld.ie/tiviar-alpha-plus-triple-tuner-combo.html

Sorry for the silly questions lads. Any help appreciated.

It's the same box. You can pick up a 2.5 inch SATA hard drive on Amazon and fit it yourself, it's pretty easy, there's nothing to it.

It's the same box. You can pick up a 2.5 inch SATA hard drive on Amazon and fit it yourself, it's pretty easy, there's nothing to it.

Thanks the High Horse. A couple of more silly questions for the day!

Just ordered the Tiviar box itself so making sure I get the right HDD. Will this one work fine?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-BarraCuda-Internal-Drive-Factor/dp/B01LY3Q201/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1546684427&sr=1-1&keywords=1TB%2BInternal%2B2.5%2BInch%2BSATA%2BHard%2BDrive&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A10625607031%2Cp_n_condition-type%3A12319067031&th=1

Also, how many hours recording will I get off the 1TB roughly? I'll get the 2TB for the extra few quid if needed.

Btw, is it for setting up skins etc. that I need a new 8gb USB? might as well order that now if needed :-)

You’re far better off ordering the dedicated AV Drive I linked to a few posts back. This is designed for continuous recording, which is the default setting (timeshift on) with my image.

You need the USB drive to flash my image, skins can be downloaded directly.
    You might also consider homeplugs, for internet connectivity.

You can still use your external drive for backups/movies - these can be played directly from the external drive.

You could rexoect to get about 300+ hours of recordings, assuming some will be standard definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭cwboy

Hi,

The Tiviar box is out of stock on World of Satellite.

Is this box any good? Could this image be used on it?

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/world-of-satellite-january-sale/amiko-viper-combo-hdd

Thanks the High Horse. A couple of more silly questions for the day!

Just ordered the Tiviar box itself so making sure I get the right HDD. Will this one work fine?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-BarraCuda-Internal-Drive-Factor/dp/B01LY3Q201/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1546684427&sr=1-1&keywords=1TB%2BInternal%2B2.5%2BInch%2BSATA%2BHard%2BDrive&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A10625607031%2Cp_n_condition-type%3A12319067031&th=1

Also, how many hours recording will I get off the 1TB roughly? I'll get the 2TB for the extra few quid if needed.

Btw, is it for setting up skins etc. that I need a new 8gb USB? might as well order that now if needed :-)

Recordings use about 4GB per hour, I've a 500GB drive in mine but we don't record much and anything I want to keep gets moved to network storage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

That Amiko only has 1 satellite tuner which will limit recording options on satellite programs.

cwboy wrote: »
    Hi,

The Tiviar box is out of stock on World of Satellite.

Is this box any good? Could this image be used on it?

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/world-of-satellite-january-sale/amiko-viper-combo-hdd

That is a different box with a proprietary software. There is a link to a Tiviar from another supplier a few posts back

Thanks for the heads up on the HDD drive NewClareman.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AV-25-1TB-Internal-Hard-Drive/dp/B007PFQ23C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542494120&sr=8-1&keywords=wd+av-25

I presume this is the right one? They are not in stock currently, but I'll order and hope some come through :-)

Thanks for all the help today lads, NewClareman and the High Horse. I will give ye an update in the next week or 2 when I get all the bits together and struggle to turn on the power on button!!!

• Advertisement

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AV-25-1TB-Internal-Hard-Drive/dp/B007PFQ23C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542494120&sr=8-1&keywords=wd+av-25

I presume this is the right one? They are not in stock currently, but I'll order and hope some come through :-)

Yeah that’s the one. Another option is to use something like the “Samsung 64 GB PRO Endurance MicroSDHC Memory Card“, with a USB adapter, for time shifting. Then you could use a standard laptop drive for recordings.
    (This card should last the lifetime of the box and takes the load off the internal drive.)

That is a different box with a proprietary software. There is a link to a Tiviar from another supplier a few posts back

I agree it is an entirely different box, that does not support my image.
    However, it appears to use standard enigma2 software.

@McBain11 This box appears to offer very similar functionality to the Tiviar Alpha+, with similar screens and functionality. However, because it is a different box, the customization's I made would have to be redone, manually. Also, as Ten Pin said, it only has one satellite tuner, so less flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭VeryRapidSkoda

Hi,

I am interested in possibly getting one of these boxes and flashing it. I just want to know are all the adult channels and stuff removed? With my intention of having it a family friendly setup with young kids, I would not want them to be able to stumble across anything. This is my main worry about going satellite and free to air. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

I am interested in possibly getting one of these boxes and flashing it. I just want to know are all the adult channels and stuff removed? With my intention of having it a family friendly setup with young kids, I would not want them to be able to stumble across anything. This is my main worry about going satellite and free to air. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

That was my intent with a family build and to a substantial extent I have succeeded. Even the main tv channels have adult content. However, the adult tv categories have been disabled and adult providers removed from online channels.

I cannot see young kids stumbling across inappropriate content. Renabling the adult channels requires a pin, and a level of knowledge. (While the pin is defaulted to 0000, it can be changed by the user. It locks after three attempts.)

My point was of course that Sat channels move frequency more often and of course there are many more of them to keep track of.

For once in maybe 5 years or more and the few Saorview channels involved, it hardly seemed worth much effort to me, is all. :D

You were right, after a lot of time I’ve given up on that issue. ABM works on a fixed file for Terrestrial, with the mux frequencies for the transmitter preset. For a change to be handled automatically, a new Configuration File would have to be synchronized with the change and the update pushed automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Yes that is my database of films, should have removed it.
    To delete it:
    • Open Movie Browser
    • Open Menu
    • Scroll to "Reset Database", and set to "Yes"
    • Hit Green Button (Save) and Exit.

Hi Clareman,

I flashed your image (22 Nov) and have the same problem with the movie database.
    I've tried resetting it as above but the list i still populated with your movies.

I copied a few movies to my HD, changed the folder in the plugin, scanned & they were added but the previous ones remain.

I there a way to reset the plugin or manually delete the database?

Also, has the ability to add / remove extentions been blocked?

When I access the plugin manager I just get "updating catlog ... searching for available ... please wait"

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Milsey

Ive still the same problem. Cant get rid of the data base list. Followed above procedure but it didn't delete

Milsey wrote: »
    Ive still the same problem. Cant get rid of the data base list. Followed above procedure but it didn't delete

I think the issue is the size of the database. All I can think of is to uninstall and install the Movie Browser. You will then have to remap the hotkey.
    I am abroad for the next 9 days. On my return I'll be posting a new image with auto updates of channels. If you wait till then, you'll have a blank database...

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

Had to knock off power to house Today.
    Now box won't boot. All I now have on front of box is "Run Aplha+" nothing shows up on TV. Any ideas.

• Advertisement

trabpc wrote: »
    Had to knock off power to house Today.
    Now box won't boot. All I now have on front of box is "Run Aplha+" nothing shows up on TV. Any ideas.

Have you a usb plugged in. Unplug it until it boots of you do. If you don't have one plugged in you'll need to do the same with the internal drive. It's a backup causing this

Advertisement