Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong winds / Heavy Rain Tues 27 and Storm Diana Weds 28 Nov. 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

it is quieter but that could be a deception.... Need to be outside a wee while.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Seems to have eased up here in Waterford. Sun is out as well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

26.1mm of rain so far in Castlebar with a max gust of 96 km/hr.

This lady isn’t a patch on Ophelia in north cork

Ophelia never came near us.... turned right at Clare! west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Really picked up now in Portarlington

• Advertisement

spookwoman wrote: »
    Seems to have eased up here in Waterford. Sun is out as well

dark here and sheeting rain sideways west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

stevek93 wrote: »
    Not a peep in Dublin Airport this morning

Was a pretty rollercoastery takeoff at 10.40 nonetheless

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Had to go and fix something in the engine and wasnt fun in that driving rain and wind. Thankfully its a gas pressure bonnet so no latch, so was able to keep it only a little open and be underneath it, with my back acting at the "keeper open"! Sliced my hand to bits (sheet aluminium) but its fixed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I've a spare satellite dish in my lawn....

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

antodeco wrote: »
    Had to go and fix something in the engine and wasnt fun in that driving rain and wind. Thankfully its a gas pressure bonnet so no latch, so was able to keep it only a little open and be underneath it, with my back acting at the "keeper open"! Sliced my hand to bits (sheet aluminium) but its fixed!

fair play to ye - wouldn't want to be a recovery driver out there on a day like today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Very strong gusts here in Kildare....just seen a huge branch come off a tree luckily no car underneath it.
    Just in time for kids leaving school to. We are only in a yellow warning but with these gusts I would imagine we could have been on middle ground between yellow and orange.

I've a spare satellite dish in my lawn....

Have to admire westnet, our local internet folk. The dish is on the north ocean facing gable end and all the while never a flicker...

Weary here and need air so a quick stroll outside then sleep..stay safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Squatter wrote: »
    After a lull, the winds are blasting again, Beara peninsula, near Adrigole. Planned walk down to the pier has been put on hold.

Rain has stopped, sun is emerging, lots of blue sky to the SW but the wind is howling.

It's low tide so I'm heading out for a spot of beachcombing!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

antodeco wrote: »

What contains traces of nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mrsnrub2.0

Starting to come alive in Dublin now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Fairly windy now here in Dublin Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Strongest winds of the day here in Castlebar now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

mrsnrub2.0 wrote: »
    Starting to come alive in Dublin now

187 active on this forum at moment. Wonder if that will spike if Dublin gets an hour or two of Diana's scorn.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very windy at Dunshaughlin too and another completely rain soaked day, dark, lights and heating on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Drumpot wrote: »
    187 active on this forum at moment. Wonder if that will spike if Dublin gets an hour or two of Diana's scorn.

According to the Dublin airport TAF, the worst was between 1pm and 4pm, so it's passed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Gusty in Dundalk now .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

JCX BXC wrote: »
    According to the Dublin airport TAF, the worst was between 1pm and 4pm, so it's passed.

Yes quieted down now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Dreading rush hour in Dublin, hearing reports of a lot of surface water on the N81 and the M50 is chockablock apparently.

Any other reports on what roads are like out there?

https://twitter.com/LiveDrive?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

Wet and blustery here in south Donegal after two solid weeks of reasonable weather.

Very glad we aren’t in the firing line proper.

Sounds like a lot of folk had a rough day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Will be interesting to see the wind speed stats for today at the various reporting stations - think they get published tomorrow here:
    https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/daily-data

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

The ride into work on the motorcycle was interesting but definitely not the worst I've ridden in glad to be home now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Eased off in Galway and the rain stopped. Not a bad day relatively speaking. Actually looks like a nice evening for a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭stevenup7002

Had not one, but TWO roof tiles blow off this morning. Absolute carnage and devastation in Clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

This other little low that's forming east of the Azores and will pass over England tomorrow looks like it might have a sting in the tail in the morning. Very strong gradient just off the SW coast of England at 06Z, crossing up through the country during the day. We could see some major winds from this in Brittany and the Channel.

467095.png
    ukmo_nat_fax_2018112812_000.png
    ukmo_nat_fax_2018112806_024.png
    ukmo_nat_fax_2018112812_024.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I have been keenly watching with concern this wave expected to move up the Irish Sea tonight and during the morning. Most models aren't too keen on developing it, over Ireland anyway but the UKMO and its higher res EURO4 illustrate this needs close attention and monitoring this evening and overnight. The area the disturbance is coming from has very sparse data coverage, if the models are analysing this ~5hPa too shallow this could have a significant impact on it track.

There is the still the risk of some nasty winds into the southeast and east Thursday AM, Irish Sea and into NW England probably more at risk but something to keep us interested tonight, old fashioned monitoring!

Here is the latest 12z EURO4, it is currently the most developmental of the main models.

Note (these charts look dramatic with the 1hPa intervals)

@GaothLaidir - I swear i didn't see your post before posting!!

18112900_2812.gif

18112903_2812.gif

18112906_2812.gif

18112909_2812.gif

Advertisement