Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread V - No Pic/GIF dumps please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

In short, the UK didn't join because they didn't believe that the EU's external borders were strong enough or well enough policed - which would result in unwanted non-EU migration into the UK (read: the UK wanted to pick-and-choose who it let in); Ireland didn't join because the UK didn't join - it would have effectively ended the CTA between UK/Ireland.

Basically, the UK wanted to have their cake and eat it for their entire EU membership.

And to be honest was entirely the right decision for them to not go in. If they had, the migration crisis would have hammered home Brexit.

Schengen has little benefit for the island nations of Europe anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,501 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Depends on where you cast the net. Bolton? Sure. Stoke-on-Trent? Most definitely. Birmingham? There's an interesting one. If Theresa May's plate balancing act collapses and major employers announce relocation plans, I'd say the penny will drop sharpish but it'll be too late then.

If? We have had plenty of it already. Car manufacturing bosses being one example. But no matter what it is simply dismissed as Pro-EU Project Fear.

Dyson recently announced is electric cars would be made in Taiwan or somewhere, hardly a ripple for the UK. This was exactly the sort of investment that should have been coming to the UK in the new Brexit era.

And FDI is way down. Investment is down Universities are saying that research and development will take a major hit.

People really don't seem to care. "Just get on with it" seems to be the cry for many a vox pop. What "getting on" and "it" actually are nobody seems entirely sure, but by god the government better get on and deliver.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It won't be properly tangible though until May fails to get her deal through the House of Commons. That'll be it then as the EU are refusing to renegotiate the deal.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Calina wrote: »
    Nope. Actually not having to clear passport control would make a big difference to me.

Faro airport has been redeveloped over the past 2 years. Lovely airport now but.....in the ‘old’ Faro non Schengen passengers had to pass through passport control immediately before the boarding gates. Basically Uk and Ireland passengers. In the ‘new’ Faro they built a large passport control area (about 1/3 EU and 2/3 non EU kiosks)immediately after security and before duty free and shops etc. But they left an ‘escape’ route for Schengen passengers and after Irish/Uk/Canadian (specified) passed through passport control they joined up with Schengen passengers in the duty free/shops area. Didn’t take passengers long to cop they could just bypass passport control and enter the duty free area by just walking there (via the Schengen route). The Portuguese are as lax as the Irish in scanning passports so it made no difference. But now they have closed this brand new passport area and transferred it back to immediately before boarding gates. And Irish/Uk have their separate boarding gates. (Seperate from Schengen gates).

We will be the only EU country to have to pass through this control next year.

It won't be properly tangible though until May fails to get her deal through the House of Commons. That'll be it then as the EU are refusing to renegotiate the deal.

I was listening to Brexitcast last night, and although they all commented on the fact that all EU leaders were adamant that the deal was the only one on offer, they all still said that nobody knows what the final deal will be until March.

Whilst of course there is a grain of truth to that, it just strikes me as the UK are still of the view that everything is still to play for.

They took this view of the December agreement, that it was nothing really. But the deal TM has brought back includes all of the December agreement. It seems to me that the EU have taken the view that the UK need to be slow walked through this process, allow them the time and space to come to terms with each part of it, whilst maintaining the central premise throughout.

This deal is now the basis for any future negotiations. If the deal is rejected in the HoC, TM won't be starting from a blank piece of paper. The EU will ask which parts are the problem, what TM needs to change and what is she willing to give up to get it.

Many MP's seem to be talking as if this deal can simply be thrown out and they start all over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Interesting Scottish poll today - EU support up to 70%, and every constituency would vote Remain:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17259815.shock-poll-result-reveals-surge-in-scottish-opposition-to-brexit/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,258 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Leroy42 wrote: »
    If? We have had plenty of it already. Car manufacturing bosses being one example. But no matter what it is simply dismissed as Pro-EU Project Fear.

Dyson recently announced is electric cars would be made in Taiwan or somewhere, hardly a ripple for the UK. This was exactly the sort of investment that should have been coming to the UK in the new Brexit era.

And FDI is way down. Investment is down Universities are saying that research and development will take a major hit.

People really don't seem to care. "Just get on with it" seems to be the cry for many a vox pop. What "getting on" and "it" actually are nobody seems entirely sure, but by god the government better get on and deliver.
    I think Dyson was always going to manufacture his car in Singapore. The announcement was made just after the EU announced a FTA with Singapore. So that would have been his thinking even if the UK had voted to remain. His major beef with the EU was about his vacuum cleaners and how they were energy rated against the competition.

But there's an ever increasing list of companies relocating some or all of their business away from the UK and into other EU countries. Ireland has gained Barclays, Steris plc, Bank of America (part of), Merrill Lynch (part of), Marshall Wace (hedge fund - part of) and GoldCore (gold storage - part of).

Interesting Scottish poll today - EU support up to 73%, and every constituency would vote Remain.

Interesting though that the no to independence camp lead by 10 points currently (if thats accurate), excluding the don't knows. How much do the Scots really love the EU I wonder as against a fall-back position re Brexit?

http://whatscotlandthinks.org/questions/how-would-you-vote-in-the-in-a-scottish-independence-referendum-if-held-now-ask#line

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Interesting Scottish poll today - EU support up to 73%, and every constituency would vote Remain.

Those levels are approaching Irish numbers!

The Telegraph has a poll today from Survation. Surprisingly, it's an argument against The Telegraph's own pro-Brexiteer line. Faced with a choice of May's deal, Remain or No Deal:

16% of voters would support May's agreement
    28% would support No Deal
    43% would support continued EU membership

• Registered Users Posts: 13,682 ✭✭✭✭josip

My concern for a crash out Brexit would be that the EU will be blamed by British media and politicians for "punishing the UK".
    We've already seen that more than 50% of the population can be swayed by vacuous populism and I fear that with the harsh economic reality of a crash out Brexit that percentage will increase.
    External countries who want a weak Europe, will be looking to take advantage of this in the event of a no deal Brexit.
    I expect that the rift between the EU and the UK will only get larger and as things continue to deteriorate, the majority of the population will become even more entrenched, leading to a downward spiral of further deterioration.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

First Up wrote: »
    As I understand it, the claim is that there are three routes in CDG; an open one for flights between Schengen countries, and two passport check routes - one for non-Europe flights and another for flights from non- Schengen/EEA countries.

I'm familiar with the first two but not the third.

Not different routes for different flights, for different passengers. You can funnel non-Schengen and non-EU flights into the same control route but most airports I have been in will have dedicated lanes for EU passengers. I assume that is what is being referenced.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I was listening to Brexitcast last night, and although they all commented on the fact that all EU leaders were adamant that the deal was the only one on offer, they all still said that nobody knows what the final deal will be until March.

Whilst of course there is a grain of truth to that, it just strikes me as the UK are still of the view that everything is still to play for.

They took this view of the December agreement, that it was nothing really. But the deal TM has brought back includes all of the December agreement. It seems to me that the EU have taken the view that the UK need to be slow walked through this process, allow them the time and space to come to terms with each part of it, whilst maintaining the central premise throughout.

This deal is now the basis for any future negotiations. If the deal is rejected in the HoC, TM won't be starting from a blank piece of paper. The EU will ask which parts are the problem, what TM needs to change and what is she willing to give up to get it.

Many MP's seem to be talking as if this deal can simply be thrown out and they start all over again.

How are you finding the Brexitcast? Remainiacs is the only one I listen to which is obviously horrendously biased but excellent nonetheless.

I think part of this is posturing on the EU's part. Not unreasonably of course but there's only so much silly Brexiteer antics they'll stomach.

The deal needs to be ratified by at least 28 parliaments and possibly some regional assemblies. All the while March 2019 draws nearer.

The EU holds all of the cards and it's basically the Brexiteers' who got the country into this position. So much for nationalism.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Interesting though that the no to independence camp lead by 10 points currently (if thats accurate), excluding the don't knows. How much do the Scots really love the EU I wonder as against a fall-back position re Brexit?

http://whatscotlandthinks.org/questions/how-would-you-vote-in-the-in-a-scottish-independence-referendum-if-held-now-ask#line

It's notable that Sturgeon has been canny not to go all in, promoting SM and CU if May's deal is defeated, a People's Vote if that doesn't gain traction, with Indyref 2 only occurring once Brexit has been concluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,566 ✭✭✭✭briany

josip wrote: »
    My concern for a crash out Brexit would be that the EU will be blamed by British media and politicians for "punishing the UK".
    We've already seen that more than 50% of the population can be swayed by vacuous populism and I fear that with the harsh economic reality of a crash out Brexit that percentage will increase.
    External countries who want a weak Europe, will be looking to take advantage of this in the event of a no deal Brexit.
    I expect that the rift between the EU and the UK will only get larger and as things continue to deteriorate, the majority of the population will become even more entrenched, leading to a downward spiral of further deterioration.

Of course Brexiteers are not going to admit any real fault on their part if and when Brexit becomes a disaster that even Nigel Farage can't put a brave face on. That's about as much of a given as you can get.

But the relationship has to bottom out at some stage. It can't just keep spiralling down and down, unless you're talking war, whether civil in the UK or between the UK and EU nations.

How are you finding the Brexitcast? Remainiacs is the only one I listen to which is obviously horrendously biased but excellent nonetheless.

It is as biased as Remainiacs but with less wit or information.

It seems far more interested in the reality TV show of Brexit rather than a more serious look a the implications. They seem very biased in favor of the UK spin on everything. Never questioning ust how the hell did it come to all this and asking the real questions about how TM, Davis et al have made such a complete hames of the whole thing.

Still, I like to listen to it to get some other perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭trellheim

Theory

Intro
    1) Hammond saying all options are worse than remain.
    2) TM knows this will never get through the House
    3) Clock is ticking
    4) EU will not budge on the deal
    5) No deal is not an option

So :
    If you wanted to put money on a bet : the only thing left to do is vote to revoke A50 ! but it will happen on the 25th March or some stupidly short timeline ( Chaos before and after of course ).

Assuming they are allowed do so of course

Now I can't help but wonder if this is the game thats being played unless TM is playing 4d chess and knows the tories and enough Labour will roll over when push literally comes to shove.

Latest Survation poll indicates 50% of Tory voters now support May's deal, and 62% want their MP to approve it:

http://twitter.com/Survation/status/1067593501066575872

http://twitter.com/Survation/status/1067593937412677632

• Registered Users Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Latest Survation poll indicates 50% of Tory voters now support May's deal, and 62% want their MP to approve it:

Those figures would only be broadly in line with where Tory MPs are at the moment though. Virtually the only MPs going to vote for the deal are about 200 Conservative MPs, so the poll doesn't tell us a huge amount, only that Tory voters and MPs are split on roughly similar lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,187 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What's the trend on that?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

13% straight swing with Q1, no indication with Q2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Here you go, support for the deal up 10% among the general public (but support still only at 37%)

DtDal5kXoAEpkA3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Shows how mental polling is:

15% don't like the deal but want their MP to approve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Yes, we'll fight them on the beaches etc. ad nauseam.

Why would what is considered patriotic to some make you feel nauseous?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

RobMc59 wrote: »

The "whoosh" from your question is making me nauseous.

---

But to answer, I'd say a lot of people and especially a lot of Irish would find British nationalism in almost any form particularly sickening. I don't think it requires any leap of faith to come to that conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,159 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Nigel Dodds supports Keith Starmer in looking for the Govn't to honour the instruction of Parliament and release the full legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,187 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What do they think the legal advice will say? Is there any leaks / informed speculation on how it helps the Brexiteer case?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,157 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

trellheim wrote: »
    In a no-deal scenario they crash out of the CTA or do I have that right . Albeit the CTA legislation does go back to 1920 on both sides.
    Nope. Couple of misconceptions:

1. There is no "CTA legislation"; it rests on policy and administrative agreements.

2. The CTA as we now have it only goes back to the 1950s.

3. But, nevertheless, it's not dependent on EU membership or EU legislation on either side. So a no-deal crash-out by the UK doesn't automatically end the CTA.

4. But it could put it under pressure, depending on what the UK chooses to do with their newly-taken-back "sovereignty". If they impose visa requirements or similar on any (or all) EU citizens then the CTA with Ireland becomes problematic for them, since it provides an easy route for EU citizens to evade visa checks.

5. How much this matters, though, depends on how much the UK decides to rely on visa checks at borders. For which, see below.
    keane2097 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but maybe someone can give me the five line version of what the downsides to Schengen are that kept Ireland and the UK out of it in the first place?
    Most countries on the mainland have relatively light border controls, but relatively extensive internal controls (population registration, identity papers, that kind of thing). This has been the way for a long time.

By contrast, the UK and Ireland have taken advantage of their island status to mostly control migration at borders, and haven't needed to introduce internal population controls.

So there was a concern that if we joined Schengen there might be a mismatch between the relatively lightly-controlled borders of Schengen countries and the absence of internal controls in the UK and Ireland. People could get into the Schengen area relatively easily, and they travel to the UK or Ireland where their lack of long-term residence rights would not be easily detected or enforced.

Basically, we got to keep the Common Travel Area, which was seen as its own a mini-Schengen, with tougher border controls but lighter internal controls than big Schengen next door. It was accepted that it worked better for us because we are islands.

Ironically, over the past few years the UK has in fact been moving more to a mainland model, with the "hostile environment" policy of requiring people to demonstrate their residence/employment rights internally, when taking up employment, renting accommodation, registering at schools or GP practices, etc. So, if the UK were staying in the Union, the case for the two of us having our own mini-Schengen would be getting somewhat weaker. The more mini-Schengen looks like big Schengen, the less case there is for having the two separate.

With the UK leaving, though, this move by them to a continental model of enforcing migration controls probably won't lead to pressure to end the separate CTA. There'll be no question of the UK joining Schengen, and with the priority according to keeping the Irish border open the EU will not put pressure on Ireland to join Schengen and end the CTA. So this would only happen if (a) the UK ended the CTA, which seems unlikely, or (b) the UK changed its mind about Brexit and in a fit of euro-enthusiasm decided to join Schengen, which seems even more unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

It's important not to confuse patriotism with nationalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,157 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Well, that depends on what they consi8der patriotic, surely? In this case we are discussing people who might think that there was some meaningful parallel between (a) the UK leaving the EU and as a result being treated as a non-Member, and (b) an armed invasion by Nazi troops. That parallel would make me feel pretty nauseous, but perhaps you have a stronger stomach than I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Podge_irl wrote: »
    First Up wrote: »
    As I understand it, the claim is that there are three routes in CDG; an open one for flights between Schengen countries, and two passport check routes - one for non-Europe flights and another for flights from non- Schengen/EEA countries.

I'm familiar with the first two but not the third.

Not different routes for different flights, for different passengers. You can funnel non-Schengen and non-EU flights into the same control route but most airports I have been in will have dedicated lanes for EU passengers. I assume that is what is being referenced.
    For intra- Schengen flights there are no passport checks. It doesn't matter where the passengers are from.

For flights arriving from outside Schengen there are passport checks for everyone. Most airports have EU and non-EU queues but everyone gets checked.

For flights from Ireland and the UK into Schengen, everyone gets checked. There may be EU and non-EU lines but these are the only intra-EU flights for which passport checks apply.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement