Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Werewolf discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Necro wrote: »
    I was a talking clock:P

PoliticalSameKoodoo-max-1mb.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

tritium wrote:
    Ahem! monsieur cogsworth was most definitely a clock.

Soz I was still talking about our necro.

sKeith wrote:
    The countdown clock is not an inanimate object. its hand moves about its face.

Fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,352 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

@Molly, Kolido and Strawberry.

I'm sorry if my PM caused any undue stress towards you in relation to that posters outburst.

<3<3

@Flushy

You were caught as a wolf for other reasons. Not for your part in the argument with <redacted>

<3

I still feel like it was angleshooty but agree with the sentiment of disrespectful too. Its taking your ball and going home cause the lads won't let you have your goal that never crossed the line.

Werewolf is like real life police work. Jack had flushy caught for being a wolf but he wasn't conveying his evidence in the right way to get the conviction. You don't just give up on the case because you ended up having a fist fight with the suspect. You take your ball and your evidence and you find another way to make it stick. Maybe even find some new evidence to enhance your case. Its not enough that you know you're right. You have to convince a jury of your peers too.

That's why I do the vote analysis things. I'm not really that good of a player but with the right application of evidence I can find a few wolves more often than not later in the game.

Quitting should never be the answer and I think because of the negative effect it has on the game it should be punishable.

I was a talking clock:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭MrsFlushdraw

Rikand wrote: »
    @Molly, Kolido and Strawberry.

I'm sorry if my PM caused any undue stress towards you in relation to that posters outburst.

<3<3

@Flushy

You were caught as a wolf for other reasons. Not for your part in the argument with <redacted>

<3

I still feel like it was angleshooty but agree with the sentiment of disrespectful too. Its taking your ball and going home cause the lads won't let you have your goal that never crossed the line.

Werewolf is like real life police work. Jack had flushy caught for being a wolf but he wasn't conveying his evidence in the right way to get the conviction. You don't just give up on the case because you ended up having a fist fight with the suspect. You take your ball and your evidence and you find another way to make it stick. Maybe even find some new evidence to enhance your case. Its not enough that you know you're right. You have to convince a jury of your peers too.

That's why I do the vote analysis things. I'm not really that good of a player but with the right application of evidence I can find a few wolves more often than not later in the game.

Quitting should never be the answer and I think because of the negative effect it has on the game it should be punishable.

I had to look back to see what I had said that caused the outburst. After reading Digi's post that was. When I did read, I saw there were 2 posts and I was half jesting in the first when I said about the pram and the toys. Just typical WW ribbing. When I pointed out that I only used that term with that person. I finished my glass of prosecco (yes lads, been a bit heavy on the drink lately lol. But got a LOT on my mind) and then had a shower and a chat with the hubby. I didn't give WW a second thought. (NO I wasn't trawling through looking for fixxxer post on Cheetahs, that was all just planned obvs)

I got back online after drying my hair, caught up and nearly had a heart attack! (Not good for a poor lady looking at a bypass in 6 months time on top of everything else :P )

But, when I read back, it wasn't that bad and think the reaction was all a bit much.

I am in the same position as Molly. I am not sure I could handle modding another game with him. But each to their own. I have had games stopped and almost ruined because of him and in two years games have been disrupted countless times.

The person is an excellent ww player, there is absolutely NO DOUBT about that. It is just the conduct on thread that let's him down, which is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

2 of the grestest role claims in boards WW history in 1 video

Mod

Lads stop discussing jack

• Registered Users Posts: 6,587 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I can completely see the viewpoint from Molly here as valid; spending months at a time designing games only to have issues crop up is basically my forte at this stage :/

However, moving forward as a community I just don't see how an exclusion policy enforced outside of forum sanctions is a possibility at all. Pter has essentially pointed out that such a policy could have a player refer the issue higher up the chain and bring allegations of bullying.

Just to respond to you Necro, I do 100% appreciate the stance that the mods have to take here. It's a very short jump for a forum to start banning people just because a few don't like them to all out banning a section of the community because of negative stereotypes. I'm not saying that would happen here but I'm just thinking of reddit where there are places that certain people are just not welcome and I do not want to go down that road. That is not the sort of place I would want to play in.

But I'm speaking personally here, not for anyone else on the board. And I just felt it warranted saying that I am no longer willing to put vast amounts of time and effort into a game where there is a decent chance that a player (going on past experiences) can totally destroy all my work in a few minutes. This is not a 'it's me or him' sort of demand either. I have no problem with the person playing on the forum if other people are happy to play. I just don't want to. And if it is against forum rules to exclude him from a game I designed then my only other option is to remove myself from the equation. So this is where we are.

Also I don't think the debate here is overly negative or damaging to the forum. We're all engaging in a healthy debate about the mechanics of our forum and it's really obvious to me anyway that it's because we all love our little corner of boards and want it to be as fun and positive as possible.

Pter wrote: »
    Mod

Lads stop discussing jack

No names were mentioned.

At the end of the day Pter. This is a community that we have built. There is no point in having an elephant in the room. People should be allowed to discuss the way going forward. If that means discussing actions of someone, then we should be free to speak. It affects us all. Like maybe people would like an anonymous poll on it so they can freely let their wishes be heard without having to say on here.

Dropping it now though, but wanted to suggest the above.

• Advertisement

No names were mentioned.

Digi mentioned Jack, you quoted the post and referenced his actions.
    At the end of the day Pter. This is a community that we have built. There is no point in having an elephant in the room. People should be allowed to discuss the way going forward. If that means discussing actions of someone, then we should be free to speak. It affects us all. Like maybe people would like an anonymous poll on it so they can freely let their wishes be heard without having to say on here.

Mod

The next person to discuss someone that cannot respond to what is being said will be taking a short break from the forum. You can try to intellectualise it all you want. It's very simple. We are NOT allowed discuss people who don't have a right to reply.

Talk about rule break and how to address it no problem, but do not discuss the poster.

EDIT: Flushy; have a think about that poll idea. You want to organise a poll of whether we want to include someone or not? Are you crazy? You can feel however you want about whomever you want, but you are not free to organise into a hate group. Come on now can you not see how bad that idea is for us as a community?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

The specific rule break in question, the action of quitting and closing an account mid game - I'll be honest I don't think it can be policed? I mean, you could put it in the charter that sanctions will be severe - but how do you sanction a closed account unless they re register?

I think perhaps a better way to handle it is to expressly forbid requesting to be subbed on the game thread. By all means, if you can't continue - PM the games mods (it's the least a player should do out of courtesy) and request to be subbed/modkilled (whatever is better at the time).

I know the one time I ever requested to be subbed I PMed beakerjoe (who was game mod at the time) and requested it, seems a straight forward simple solution. (As it happened, Mick shot me about five mins after I had sent the PM - so, problem solved :pac: )

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

The main boards rule that was broken was “don’t be a dick”, and that is hard to police.

We have discussed this ad nauseum - what constitutes “being a dick”? I most certainly think closing your account mid-game without following correct procedure constitutes “being a dick” because it impacted the entire game. The game mods are there for a reason. Doing things that can seriously impact the game your own way without game mod approval, screws up the game for others.

Screwing up the game is a cluster**** on all levels. It results in pages of back-and-forth discussion, where its circular and things are said in the heat of the moment. It also creates a lot of work for mods between reported posts, mod discussions, PMs and actioning posts as required. Not to mention the heartbreak of being a game mod and having your game “broken”.

Some points have been raised, and with my boards mod hat on (and I’m sure Pter and PawwedRig will agree with me here), as mods we need to have a discussion as to how to proceed moving forward. As necro pointed out - just last week we had a post outlining the incredible-ness of the community, yet over the weekend we have people wanting to walk away.

It’s a sensitive and emotive issue, so please bear with us while we try and figure out what is best for all involved moving forward. I’m not saying to not discuss it, but maybe park the discussion until we can come up with some sort of solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

I had to look back to see what I had said that caused the outburst. After reading Digi's post that was. When I did read, I saw there were 2 posts and I was half jesting in the first when I said about the pram and the toys. Just typical WW ribbing. When I pointed out that I only used that term with that person. I finished my glass of prosecco (yes lads, been a bit heavy on the drink lately lol. But got a LOT on my mind) and then had a shower and a chat with the hubby. I didn't give WW a second thought. (NO I wasn't trawling through looking for fixxxer post on Cheetahs, that was all just planned obvs)

I got back online after drying my hair, caught up and nearly had a heart attack! (Not good for a poor lady looking at a bypass in 6 months time on top of everything else :P )

But, when I read back, it wasn't that bad and think the reaction was all a bit much.

I am in the same position as Molly. I am not sure I could handle modding another game with him. But each to their own. I have had games stopped and almost ruined because of him and in two years games have been disrupted countless times.

The person is an excellent ww player, there is absolutely NO DOUBT about that. It is just the conduct on thread that let's him down, which is a shame.

eh, you are having major surgery in 6 months and signed up to mod a game. You are a glutton for punishment.

Somehow, i now envisage me having to mod it alone, after my weakest of weakest ever signups. :D

sKeith wrote: »
    eh, you are having major surgery in 6 months and signed up to mod a game. You are a glutton for punishment.

Somehow, i now envisage me having to mod it alone, after my weakest of weakest ever signups. :D

Ah, t'will be grand! I will be stuck in a bed for a bit. No better place than to Mod a game from :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

This has been a very interesting thread to read back on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

fixxxer wrote: »
    This has been a very interesting thread to read back on.
    How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

sullivlo wrote: »
    How so?

2 years of community discussion, how couldn't it be

I suppose I never considered the way the WW game has to exist within the Boards.ie framework. It's hamstrung in how it can deal with disruptive influences. It's also pretty unique in that it's a space that posters are encouraged to go at each other. I'm new it all this having never played WW before I came across it here, but I have to say the community has been very welcoming and patient with me.

If I'm going to suggest things, I think the feedback thread should continue. I mentioned before that having an old head go through the game with a new player is something that should be encouraged. A few players have been kind enough to point out to me what got me killed early on in a couple of games and it's been invaluable. As a new player I have all these ideas of how I should play roles, forgetting of course that there are players here that see right through that sort of thing as its all been done before. Like a new player Q&A mod available before the games starts but after the thread has opened.

A bit of a personal one but D0 not being D0 puts extra pressure on players. The instinct is hide rather than take part, so having D0 just being time to familiarize with the game and ask the silly/obvious questions might help?

sKeith wrote: »
    2 years of community discussion, how couldn't it be
    I meant if there was anything specific that fixxxer may have noted; a fresh set of eyes on previous discussion.

• Advertisement

A bit of a personal one but D0 not being D0 puts extra pressure on players. The instinct is hide rather than take part, so having D0 just being time to familiarize with the game and ask the silly/obvious questions might help?

D0 was supposed to be a soft opening day. For people to find their feet and get any sillyness out of the way. Ask questions, and if you don't post on that day, it isn't an issue. I think I started that one with a soft opening, not sure. I always started the game with the death of a non-player and did a flavour death as I never liked someone dying before they got a chance to get started.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Is that not how it is here though or am I reading your point wrong?

Kolido wrote: »

people can die on n0 - I dont like that myself personally and I think the day1 lynch should always be the first death in the game.

If you're at risk of dying, you put in immediate effort from the getgo without having the opportunity to be a new person and not suffer an early death

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

people can die on n0 - I dont like that myself personally and I think the day1 lynch should always be the first death in the game.

If you're at risk of dying, you put in immediate effort from the getgo without having the opportunity to be a new person and not suffer an early death

The logic is, why would we be lynching somebody if the wolves hadn't attacked already? Personally I don't like games that start with a lynch. But horses for courses, of course.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'd agree, even if the village decide on no lynch it's still encouraging interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Ah ok, I see what you mean. I supose it can be a bit daunting for a new player. I have a little twist for d0/n0 in mind, maybe we will see it the next game I co-mod.

Kolido wrote: »

We had the lynch option on Day0 recently, but it's more that instead of being a time for everyone to check in and make sure they understand things properly players are straight off the bat going in to wolf hunting mode. If you've never played before, or only played a few, its daunting to see all this going on straight from the off. Asking for questions or asking whats going on feels like painting a target on yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

quickbeam wrote: »
    The logic is, why would we be lynching somebody if the wolves hadn't attacked already? Personally I don't like games that start with a lynch. But horses for courses, of course.

here here! I hate starting on a lynch, it defies logic. lynches acts of revenge for the village if no killings have been committed out then what are the village taking revenge for?!!

here here! I hate starting on a lynch, it defies logic. lynches acts of revenge for the village if no killings have been committed out then what are the village taking revenge for?!!

But I mean, you're in a village with wolves/orcs/christmas critters/insert evils so... :P

• Advertisement

Well thats why the game mods write immersive introductions to their games so that the village knows there are werewolves in their midst. Revenge comes from here.....

All was quiet in the village of Boardsville as a heavy fog descended on the town square and blocked out the full moon shining from above. Wee Willy Winky the town crier was doing his rounds ensuring everyone had locked up their homes and were bedding down for the night. As he walked around the village, candle in hand, knocking on the windows and calling through the door locks, he started to feel a chill in the air.

He hated going to the last home in the village as it was so cut away from the rest but he bravely strode forward to check the doors. There wasnt a light on in the place nor a sound coming from inside. He took it to mean that the occupants had gone to bed already. Such a quiet family they were, kept to themselves and never caused any trouble. Why they would choose to live so remotely....

He returned to the centre of the village and stopped by the well to catch his breathe before turning in for the night. The fog was thick around him and he could scarcely see more than a few feet in front of him. It felt like the fog was starting to play tricks on him. He thought he could hear heavy breathing and the pawing of feet on the grass behind him.

"Blasted fog", he mumbled under his breathe.

He started to move from the well and head for home when the pace of the footsteps quickened behind him. Turning to face to the sound, his face turned to the colour of ash and any scream he attempted to make died on his lips.

As the next morning broke, the people of the village all converged on the square to begin their busy day. As the fog lifted, the well became visible as did the gruesome scene placed beside. The battered bloodied body was scarcely recognisable but by doing a headcount amongst them all, they discovered it was poor Wee Willy Winky, the town crier. Some members of the village recalled hearing a howling noise during the night. There was no mistake to be made, however, as a bloodied claw mark was found scrapped on the side of the well.

There were werewolves in the village and the village knew they must string up the problem as quickly as possible if they were ever going to survive....

Advertisement