Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia fires on Ukranian vessels

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

gandalf wrote: »
    This is what happens when you don't deal with aggressive rogue regimes like Russia properly in the first place.

If they are proven to be in the wrong then there needs to be a strong response from the International Community. Booting them out of the SWIFT system would be a good start along with restricting uber rich Russians ability to travel as well.

You've basically proven them guilty in your first paragraph. Why dont you wait to hear the full story first before casting judgement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

In a very worse case scenario? Nope.

Too close and too many semi-fertile fields in that region.

Elsewhere, who knows (in an 'very unlikely' SHTF event).

Will there be a global conflict sometime in the next 50yrs, perhaps.
    Are China and others preparing for such an event, perhaps.

I take it then notwithstanding the verbal diarrhea you have no comment to make on whether nuclear winter was 1970s myth.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

batgoat wrote: »
    Never seen that account before so finding it a tad suspect

Yes, I should double check twitter sources.
    It's not an account I follow, but from one that had retweeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I think "nuclear winter" has been debunked hasnt it?

Patrolling the Mojave would almost make you wish for nuclear winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The war will be tweeted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

This is what happens when you don't deal with aggressive rogue regimes like Russia properly in the first place.

If they are proven to be in the wrong then there needs to be a strong response from the International Community. Booting them out of the SWIFT system would be a good start along with restricting uber rich Russians ability to travel as well.

Wouldn't that snooker businesses who trade with Russia though?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Gringo180 wrote: »
    You've basically proven them guilty in your first paragraph. Why dont you wait to hear the full story first before casting judgement?

Well given their recent form it hard to see beyond them being the aggressor here. But I did add the caveat of "proven".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

The rogue state Russia who singlehandedly destroyed the ISIL/ISIS califate and the threat it posed to the world while the rest of the world stood by and did nothing (other than supply ISIS with American made weapons).

Trump is a cretin but had Hillary been elected there'd already be a hot war between the USA and Russia.
    This will happen eventually, you can't pass up an opportunity for a good war can you? Money to be made from the suffering of millions.

P_1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't that snooker businesses who trade with Russia though?

Yes it would but given their behaviour something needs to give and I'd prefer that sort of response to a military one wouldn't you?

nullzero wrote: »
    The rogue state Russia who singlehandedly destroyed the ISIL/ISIS califate and the threat it posed to the world while the rest of the world stood by and did nothing (other than supply ISIS with American made weapons).

Trump is a cretin but had Hillary been elected there'd already be a hot war between the USA and russ

Ah the apologists are online at last ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Ah the apologists are online at last ;)

I'm not a Russian apologist, but painting them as bogeymen is lazy and circumvents logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭glen123

If Poroshenko declares the state of emergency, will elections go ahead in March? He has no chance of winning as Timoshenko is way ahead.

Trump is a cretin but had Hillary been elected there'd already be a hot war between the USA and Russia.
    This will happen eventually, you can't pass up an opportunity for a good war can you? Money to be made from the suffering of millions.

Bernie was the man.

I'm not a Russian apologist, but painting them as bogeymen is lazy and circumvents logic.

In the case of the Ukraine and Crimea they are the aggressor and as you label them the "bogeyman". This isn't about Syria and this isn't about US Russian Relations.

Do you think Russia's actions in the Crimea and Eastern Ukraine were warranted?

glen123 wrote: »
    If Poroshenko declares the state of emergency, will elections go ahead in March? He has no chance of winning as Timoshenko is way ahead.

Interesting point.

Yes it would but given their behaviour something needs to give and I'd prefer that sort of response to a military one wouldn't you?

Without a shadow of a doubt. Alas I fear theres no way of de escalating this.

Ukraine are likely going to declare war on Russia, at best we will have Russian tanks on the Dnieper if that happens. I sincerely hope no EU countries back them up military because that will only lead to escalation

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Well given their recent form it hard to see beyond them being the aggressor here. But I did add the caveat of "proven".

Reports that the Ukrainian naval vessels that tried to go through the Kerch Strait did so without informing their Russian counterparts, as the custom is they should. If that's true then Ukraine have brought this on themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

I take it then notwithstanding the verbal diarrhea you have no comment to make on whether nuclear winter was 1970s myth.

I take it then notwithstanding you have no actual proof of the aftermath of <22,000 big hot sticks going off in a short period of time.

No one knows for sure the results of such a dynamic end-times sceanrio taking place, other than it sure won't be fun-times.

Would it take a day, week or month to recover? Likely it would take a season (3mths at least) to get back to some sort of normality of netflix 'n chill.

Perhaps that's where the 'winter' refernece comes from. A super-volcano may deliver similar results, only difference wouldn't be the inconvience of isotopes.

glen123 wrote: »

Seems like he doesnt want these elections to go ahead. Would Timoshenko be more pro Russian?

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Reports that the Ukrainian naval vessels that tried to go through the Kerch Strait did so without informing their Russian counterparts, as the custom is they should. If that's true then Ukraine have brought this on themselves.

And you would have to wonder why.

I had thought there was an agreed treaty about both nations using the the sea of Azov?

• Advertisement

Ukraine are likely going to declare war on Russia, at best we will have Russian tanks on the Dnieper if that happens. I sincerely hope no EU countries back them up military because that will only lead to escalation

Where's this coming from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

I take it then notwithstanding you have no actual proof of the aftermath of <22,000 big hot sticks going off in a short period of time.

No one knows for sure the results of such a dynamic end-times sceanrio taking place, other than it sure won't be fun-times.

Would it take a day, week or month to recover? Likely it would take a season (3mths at least) to get back to some sort of normality of netflix 'n chill.

Perhaps that's where the 'winter' refernece comes from. A super-volcano may deliver similar results, only difference wouldn't be the inconvience of isotopes.

Sorry I haven't got my Sh1te to English Dictionary with me. A simple yes or no would suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Line up the various military assets of both nations, I can't see Ukraine poking the Bear in the eye tbh.

No. The models still agree, AFAIK.
    It would span a few growing seasons.
    Enough to cause widespread famine.

So the Russians had every right to disable the vessels. No deaths reported so far so job well done on that note.

Well the people keeping Putin in power are the Oligarch class in Russia, removing Russia from SWIFT and restricting their ability to travel will put him under far more pressure than any military action. Military action would play into his hands and help improve his popularity.

This is probably happening because his popularity is waning in Russia especially with young people. Nothing like a bit of a war situation to help boost an autocrats poll figures.

badtoro wrote: »
    Line up the various military assets of both nations, I can't see Ukraine poking the Bear in the eye tbh.

I'd they're hoping for Western support, they're dreaming.

What kind of crazy talk is that? Bit of grandstanding I'd say. They'd be crushed in a war with Russia, and nobody is going to come to their aid.

• Advertisement

Reports from who thou?

Advertisement