Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia fires on Ukranian vessels

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    This seems to be true... Bad move. Ukraine should just lick their wounds and go home. Nobody wants armed conflict.

So let russia keep grabbing land and water and anything else they can get their hands on and blame the Ukrainians.

It's like a parent of a bully blaming the kids being bullied for being weak

Holodomor remembrance day was yesterday in Ukraine

Just sayin...

/TinfoilHat

85 years since to be exact

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Makes sense now that you put it together!

Seriously though broadcasting the country's defence committee meeting live on TV is playing up massively to the home audience. Bizarre carry on.

Nope its logical to me. They can't do anything militarily but they can make grand statements on TV to appear tough and placate the home audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Akrasia wrote: »

Ukraine could have joined NATO in 2010 but their president pulled out. Bet they wish they hadn't done that now.

Er the people kinda wanted that to happen Russia didn't that's why their president pulled out. The whole thing started with the people and the president looking to join the EU all was going well until suddenly at the last minute the president put a stop to that in an about face change of heart. Putin probably threatened him as didn't want europe at his front door that set the whole maidan protests off

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

We live in a great time of opportunity.

For once, we could join our national interests together, to fight the challenges of the 21c, and co-create on the amazing new technologies!

Can we actually work together? The pay offs seem so much better than the stand offs.

And what ****ty global leaders we have :(

Somebody give me hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Think you can put together quite a list of nations who cosied up to Hitler at one time or another.

Sure could. A lot of them have seen the error of their ways. Ukraine? Not so much.

mad muffin wrote: »
    Sure could. A lot of them have seen the error of their ways. Ukraine? Not so much.

???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭enricoh

Send over our illustrious td john halligan, he was gonna sort out things with kim jumg il in north korea last year, why not putin this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Gatling wrote: »
    So let russia keep grabbing land and water and anything else they can get their hands on and blame the Ukrainians.

It's like a parent of a bully blaming the kids being bullied for being weak

Who's bulling who tho Gatling.... Look up the US missile defence systems being installed all along Russias borders by America, 2008 poland, and others, long before Ukraine happened. America has been pushing and pushing. It is now the biggest $upplier.

I'd wager Ukraine was the final straw.

No I'm not pro Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Who's doing the bulling who tho Gatling.... Look up the US missile defence systems being installed all along Russias borders by America, 2008 poland, and others, long before Ukraine happened. America has been pushing and pushing. It is now the biggest $upplier.

I'd wager Ukraine was the the final straw.

No I'm not pro Russia.

I'm sorry, the US is bad because it wanted to ward off potential aggression against Eastern Europe, which has in living memory been annexed/vassalized by the Soviet Union, and this is an example of their aggression?

This is one of those peculiar ideas I usually only hear from Russians or their apologists which when plainly stated seems to be little more than the idea that if you refuse to lay prostrate and defenceless before an aggressor, then you ARE the aggressor. I recall a similar example from history when in 1939 one of the great complaints of the Soviets against the Finns was that the Finns were building defensive bunkers, and this supposedly constituted such an existential threat to the Soviet Union that they had littler alternative but to invade.

It was a ridiculous notion then, it remains a ridiculous notion now.

• Advertisement

Why did so many Eastern bloc nations readily agree to join their former enemy NATO? I wonder why that was? NATO doesn't invade and forcibly build bases, those nations had to apply for membership and invite them in? Why did they do that? Any answers from the "RT" side please ;)

gandalf wrote: »
    Why did so many Eastern bloc nations readily agree to join their former enemy NATO? I wonder why that was? NATO doesn't invade and forcibly build bases, those nations had to apply for membership and invite them in? Why did they do that? Any answers from the "RT" side please ;)

Going to put what I EXPECT the answers to be in spoilers, wait for some actual responses to come in before checking the spoiler section.
    Rabble Rabble Afghanistan!
    Rabble rabble everyone who dislikes Russia is a NEO NAZI!
    Rabble Rabble Libya and Syria!

Ah Irish Praetorian you left out
    George Soros

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

What’s happening now.is it kicking off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭thomil

Lots of saber-rattling, bots and trolls working overtime on Twitter, but nothing else at the moment. The last I heard was that the ships in question, two 23 meter patrol boats and a tugboat, have been seized by Russia, with their crews in custody.
    The Ukranian parliament will vote about the imposition of martial law sometime tomorrow, and Russia is apparently calling for an emergency session of the UN Security Council. Ukrainian armed forces are on high alert, which is understandable, and there is some talk going around about reservists being called up for active duty, but nothing along those lines is confirmed. I doubt there'll be any major developments until tomorrow.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Who's bulling who tho Gatling.... Look up the US missile defence systems being installed all along Russias borders by America, 2008 poland,

10 missle silos were going to Poland that's not happening they are getting a different system ,we have russian nuclear weapons in Kaliningrad ,missles in Crimea ,

Russians have more weapons targeted at Europe than vice versa ,
    This whole russia is being surrounded is nonsense ,
    Russians populations maintained across eastern Europe to guarantee a say and influence across the board ,(whether its wanted or not )
    All we get is oh poor russia looked what happened to them in ww2 ,let's not forget their actions post ww2 ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

559bffb283bdd204a6a0f5c577a7437a.jpg

Russia reopened the Kerch Strait to all shipping,

Ah well.

I'm sorry, the US is bad because it wanted to ward off potential aggression against Eastern Europe, which has in living memory been annexed/vassalized by the Soviet Union, and this is an example of their aggression?

This is one of those peculiar ideas I usually only hear from Russians or their apologists which when plainly stated seems to be little more than the idea that if you refuse to lay prostrate and defenceless before an aggressor, then you ARE the aggressor. I recall a similar example from history when in 1939 one of the great complaints of the Soviets against the Finns was that the Finns were building defensive bunkers, and this supposedly constituted such an existential threat to the Soviet Union that they had littler alternative but to invade.

It was a ridiculous notion then, it remains a ridiculous notion now.

You should be sorry. With your Russian apologists crap.

It is the strategic siege of Russia. No two ways about it.

If China or Russia start putting missile defence systems on America's boarders what the hell do you think would be the reaction. Cuban missile crisis.

Like the notion of US aggression is so far fetched. This is one of them peculiar ideas you only hear from Tony Blair apologists.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Gatling wrote: »
    Russia reopened the Kerch Strait to all shipping,

Ah well.

Good news! It must have been a test by Russia to see what the Wests reaction would be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

If China or Russia start putting missile defence systems on America's boarders what the hell do you think would be the reaction. Cuban missile crisis.

Well we have russian nukes in Kaliningrad and China has claimed the whole south China sea and are going full on militarisation of the seas .

Siege of russia wow that's a new one

Like the notion of US aggression is so far fetched. This is one of them peculiar ideas you only hear from Tony Blair apologists.

A 'strategic siege' - in what possible sense? This seems to go back to my earlier point about the Soviet vision of what constituted aggression; you are talking about a country with the worlds largest nuclear, AFV and territorial totals and a history of throwing its weight around with its neighbours in both economic and military terms, now complaining about being 'under siege'?

I mean this is a particularly interesting point when we consider the circumstances that have led up to the present day. Why is it that just about every Russian neighbour that can has clamoured for entry into things like NATO and the EU? Is it because people who aren't Russians like to be evil to Russia or maybe because most of them recall being subjugated in living memory, and even in the period post 1990, they have observed the dangers of being in Russia's 'near abroad', ranging from mass ethnic cleansing in Abkhazia to military occupation in Moldova. Can you imagine the outcry if in the 90s the US had intervened in a sectarian conflict with one of its neighbours, saw half the population ousted and then proceeded to vassalize the remainder? This is before we even consider the events of 2014.

Now see I have no problem making the arguments that the US has been aggressive and unjustified in several of its actions post 1990 - what I want to know is why Russian apologists cannot do the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭Odhinn

gandalf wrote: »
    Ah Irish Praetorian you left out
    George Soros

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Odhinn wrote: »
    giphy.gif

That is one of the weirdest gif's I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Word is Russia will invade later today.

scopper wrote: »
    Word is Russia will invade later today.

They won't go for a full on invasion they actually risk more than they will gain for the most part add the 40 + million Ukrainians who don't want to be russian ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Gringo180 wrote: »
    So you class the BBC as a British/Western propaganda news outlet? Seems hard to get the truth these days from our media.

At this stage!l, if it comes straight from the Kremlin, it's safe to assume it's a lie until further verified by non Kremlin outlets.

RT is not a non Kremlin outlet.

A 'strategic siege' - in what possible sense? This seems to go back to my earlier point about the Soviet vision of what constituted aggression; you are talking about a country with the worlds largest nuclear, AFV and territorial totals and a history of throwing its weight around with its neighbours in both economic and military terms, now complaining about being 'under siege'?

I mean this is a particularly interesting point when we consider the circumstances that have led up to the present day. Why is it that just about every Russian neighbour that can has clamoured for entry into things like NATO and the EU? Is it because people who aren't Russians like to be evil to Russia or maybe because most of them recall being subjugated in living memory, and even in the period post 1990, they have observed the dangers of being in Russia's 'near abroad', ranging from mass ethnic cleansing in Abkhazia to military occupation in Moldova. Can you imagine the outcry if in the 90s the US had intervened in a sectarian conflict with one of its neighbours, saw half the population ousted and then proceeded to vassalize the remainder? This is before we even consider the events of 2014.

Now see I have no problem making the arguments that the US has been aggressive and unjustified in several of its actions post 1990 - what I want to know is why Russian apologists cannot do the same?

Well I am no Russian apologist.

I don't care for any of the geopolitical games. Be it from Russia, China, or the US. Why? Because the losers are always everyone else. Frankly they need to meet and agree to stop ****ing around with this stuff, before we all pay the Piper.

A war with Russia is the end. You comprehend that Gatling? No winners and no going back, So all your bluster about bullys and the perceived good guys will be meaningless when we are all dead. regardless of the **** they are doing, negotiation and de-escalation are key. That has to come from all sides. My point about the missiles are another area of antagonism that needs to be de-escalated. End of.

• Advertisement

Well I am no Russian apologist.

I regardless of the **** they are doing, negotiation and de-escalation are key. That has to come from all sides. My point about the missiles are another area of antagonism that needs to be de-escalated. End of.

Bollox the west stood by at the end of ww2 ,the west and Europe stood by when russian tanks and troops massacred protestors in Hungary and Czechoslovakia ,
    The west and Europe stood by when flight kal 007 was shot down ,
    The west and Europe stood by when russia interfered in Ukraine and eventually invaded , occupied parts of Ukraine (sovereign Ukraine)
    The west and Europe stood by when russian forces shotdown flight MH17 killing all on aboard ,

Negotiate and de-escalation what you mean is placate the bully and apologie to them for bullying it's neighbours and Europe yeah that will solve everything.

A strong and United Europe is needed also a strong military force is badly needed to defend the rights of tens of millions of eastern Europeans who don't want to be under russian occupation

Advertisement