Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winterval 2018

• 12-11-2018 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭

Starts this weekend with Santa arriving on Saturday !!

The "Waterford Eye" was put in place over the weekend, and looks amazing all lit up on the Quay.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭914

Also new christmas for Michael st which will be a welcome addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

greenspurs wrote: »

The "Waterford Eye" was put in place over the weekend, and looks amazing all lit up on the Quay.

Worth going up in aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Santa arriving in November!

What a crock!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Santa arriving in November!

What a crock!

Sorry Ebeneezer .......

*Bah Humbug ... :rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Sorry Ebeneezer .......

*Bah Humbug ... :rolleyes:

At least Ebeneezer did not have to materialise until Xmas eve :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

No Toy Museum again. It was my favourite thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Saw them testing the big wheel on the quay this lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Anyone think the small "big" wheel at the front of City Square is in a bit of a shite location? It's stuck in between the buildings on that narrow street and I can't imagine, even at the top, that there's a great view. Maybe I'm wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

erica74 wrote: »
    Anyone think the small "big" wheel at the front of City Square is in a bit of a shite location? It's stuck in between the buildings on that narrow street and I can't imagine, even at the top, that there's a great view. Maybe I'm wrong?

I seen that last night and i was thinking the exact same thing its in a stupid location

I seen that last night and i was thinking the exact same thing its in a stupid location

I thought the street between dealz and Dunnes, where it was for Spraoi (I think), was a better location, at least you could see a bit more. Bear in mind, I've never been on it so I could well be totally wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Anything new or different from last year?

Great crowd around town for the opening night. Real buzz about the the place.

I have a gripe that I have every year, do they actually check the lights before the put them up?

Two of the lights on barronstrand street are only half working. Two of the balls in the applemarket and lights under the canopy are not working.

Lights on lower michael st are not up yet, no lights on patrick st, arundal square.

I know this is more if a council issue and not winterval, but if we are selling ourselves as Irelands Christmas captial sort out the bloody presentation of the city.

Rant over on that part.

Santa looked great and was very friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭JohnC.

erica74 wrote: »

I saw it in action this evening. I'm not sure the view is it's thing. Looks more about speed at the rate it was going. If there was a view you wouldn't have much time to see it.

JohnC. wrote: »
    I saw it in action this evening. I'm not sure the view is it's thing. Looks more about speed at the rate it was going. If there was a view you wouldn't have much time to see it.

Ah okay okay, that makes a bit more sense then, more fun rather than sightseeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

The City is looking great. Fair play to all involved in Winterval. Great for the City.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

anything new ?

love winterval but found it very boring last year, kinda needs a change

great to see though dont get me wrong, suppose its hard to keep fresh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

The wheel outside city square would want to head off with its dance music pumping out of it. Not very Christmassy!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 potatohouse

same shiite every year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Gardner

was in around yesterday. same ****e just a different year. the wheel down by Dunnes is a complete farce and half the lights are not even working!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Black Friday weekend happening in city square this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

same shiite every year
    Gardner wrote: »
    was in around yesterday. same ****e just a different year. the wheel down by Dunnes is a complete farce and half the lights are not even working!

What would either of you done differently this year?

What would either of you done differently this year?

Maybe they will get involved and improve things for next year, then it won't be 'the same old sh1te'.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

same shiite every year
    Gardner wrote: »

Bitches gonna bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭iphonehead

I find it hard to understand the moaning every year... it brings a buzz to the city... it cheers people up... sure it’s not perfect but what is? Remember when there was no Winterval? I don’t !

iphonehead wrote: »
    I find it hard to understand the moaning every year... it brings a buzz to the city... it cheers people up... sure it’s not perfect but what is? Remember when there was no Winterval? I don’t !

Fully agree, at the end of the day it is a Festival for families and kids mainly.

I can only imagine the excitement this would bring if I was a child.

Hard to see what could be done differently, for those complaining I would love to here their ideas and get involved in Winterval with their suggestions.

I wouldn't think winterval have a massive budget and for what they have they do a wonderful job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

914 wrote: »
    Fully agree, at the end of the day it is a Festival for families and kids mainly.

I can only imagine the excitement this would bring if I was a child.

Hard to see what could be done differently, for those complaining I would love to here their ideas and get involved in Winterval with their suggestions.

I wouldn't think winterval have a massive budget and for what they have they do a wonderful job.

To be fair, there is little to no complaining, just the usual few who whine about everything, winterval, harvest, day tripper, whatever, usual few who offer nothing, we all know lads like this in real life too, generally lads who never amount to anything.
    Haven't been down constitution square yet, is that Italian fella there selling cannoli and those Italian mascarpone doughnuts there? A must try, had last year, hoping he's back.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Same old moaners here again. Determined to knock any initiative in Waterford. If Harrods and Galeries Lafayette opened stores here the usual idiots would tell you they were useless. Anyone looking at Waterford City boards over any length of time can identify the usual (idiot) suspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Max Powers wrote: »
    To be fair, there is little to no complaining, just the usual few who whine about everything, winterval, harvest, day tripper, whatever, usual few who offer nothing, we all know lads like this in real life too, generally lads who never amount to anything.
    Haven't been down constitution square yet, is that Italian fella there selling cannoli and those Italian mascarpone doughnuts there? A must try, had last year, hoping he's back.

Well you could set your watch to your elaborate and sarcastic replies to anyone who doesn't agree with your opinion, are you like that in real life?

To disprove your stupid little "Its always the same old whingers" proclamation, I love the Harvest Festival and precisely because it has evolved from being a one day event only on the Quay to several days and involves workshops and lots more activities and bands etc. Winterval seems to have crossed its arms stubbornly and decided that a big Wheel and a few overpriced stalls is all that its offering. It needs something better, something like House of Horrors only Christmas themed. More affordable stalls. So remember, Max Powers, not everyone who disagrees with you is wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Emanine

This year's new events are:

Spraoi's Winter Wonderland in Wyse Park,
    12 Days of Winterval,
    Santa's Grotto is new & improved.
    House of Waterford Crystal Classical Music series.

That's just four that I can think of.

With regard to the 'few overpriced stalls' - I was impressed by the offering this year. I follow the Winterval pages on Social Media, and to be fair, there seems to be a lot of Craft events & stalls on this year (I saw Wreath-making, Jewellery making to name two). The Irish Craft Council also have a large stall, which is for the smaller vendors to come together and offer their wares. Then theres the Garter Lane Craft Fair.

I'm so tired of this 'Winterval is ****' attitude. It's a Christmas Festival. It makes the city look great. There is something on offer for all children, regardless of age.
    The organisers this year are new. They're never done this Festival before.

I am in no way affiliated with the festival, but I do love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,699 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

going to a look around tomorrow with the family

love the festival and it really adds to the excitment of xmas

Advertisement