Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

Winterval 2018

13

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ comeraghs


    DeanAustin wrote: »
    Brought the kids on Sunday for the day. There was some good and some not so good.

    The day was a bit slow kicking off which was fair enough. Santa was great although I’m not sure about the location. Last year it was in the same place but seemed there was more space. They’ve also had it in better locations throughout the years. Santa himself was good with the kids and they loved him. I had mixed feelings on the kids choosing their toys. In one sense, I’d rather have Santa give them the presents. In another, there is less chance of them getting something they don’t want. One year, they give Winterval branded teddy bears to everyone which were just utter sh!te. So all in all, the Santa experience was a good one.

    The town looked well and the stalls were really well set out and created a good atmosphere. The collection of the letters in the Apple Market was fantastic. The guy doing it was brilliant as were the kids dancing but the whole event was really enjoyable and very well organised. For a free event it was top class.

    The Waterford Eye was great as was the horse ride. I took a trip up to Wyse Park but it was closed and looked abandoned almost. Maybe I went at the wrong time (around 3pm).

    I do feel though that the event has lost something over the last few years. Down around Reginald’s Tower used to be one of the epicentres of the event, now there is nothing. I don’t know why but it’s a shame. Things like the Toy Museum, Santa and the Storytelling down by the Reg made that a corner of activity. Also, Waterford On Ice has been moved away from the Quay I think which is a shame too. Having it so central meant people would see it even if they didn’t go and added to the event as a whole.

    I love Winterval and think it was a stroke of genius from whoever came up with it. It makes me proud of Waterford even though I no longer live there. I fully understand that with a festival as big as this, you will have hits and misses. I just hope that we continue to have more hits with it.


    RE. Wyse Park.

    It runs from 5 to 8. Lots of cool lighting features so needs to be dark.

    Well worth making the effort to return to see it. My kids spent a good hour there and all for free.


  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭ jimbojazz


    DeanAustin wrote: »
    Brought the kids on Sunday for the day. There was some good and some not so good.

    The day was a bit slow kicking off which was fair enough. Santa was great although I’m not sure about the location. Last year it was in the same place but seemed there was more space. They’ve also had it in better locations throughout the years. Santa himself was good with the kids and they loved him. I had mixed feelings on the kids choosing their toys. In one sense, I’d rather have Santa give them the presents. In another, there is less chance of them getting something they don’t want. One year, they give Winterval branded teddy bears to everyone which were just utter sh!te. So all in all, the Santa experience was a good one.

    The town looked well and the stalls were really well set out and created a good atmosphere. The collection of the letters in the Apple Market was fantastic. The guy doing it was brilliant as were the kids dancing but the whole event was really enjoyable and very well organised. For a free event it was top class.

    The Waterford Eye was great as was the horse ride. I took a trip up to Wyse Park but it was closed and looked abandoned almost. Maybe I went at the wrong time (around 3pm).

    I do feel though that the event has lost something over the last few years. Down around Reginald’s Tower used to be one of the epicentres of the event, now there is nothing. I don’t know why but it’s a shame. Things like the Toy Museum, Santa and the Storytelling down by the Reg made that a corner of activity. Also, Waterford On Ice has been moved away from the Quay I think which is a shame too. Having it so central meant people would see it even if they didn’t go and added to the event as a whole.

    I love Winterval and think it was a stroke of genius from whoever came up with it. It makes me proud of Waterford even though I no longer live there. I fully understand that with a festival as big as this, you will have hits and misses. I just hope that we continue to have more hits with it.

    Think that may be because one of the previous main organisers owned the Reg, so maybe that's why be why there's not much activity down that way.


  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ iphonehead


    I honestly wonder do people expect too much from Winterval. That's not a criticism of anyone by the way. The Bishops Palace / Theatre Royal area does seem to be a critical mass of things though with the Horse Drawn Sleigh, Helter Skelter, Light show, market, Entertainment Stage and Panto all running in a very small proximity of each other... I wonder if it was spread out a little more maybe? then again - easy for me to say behind a keyboard.. the logistics wouldn't be my strong point. I think being around that area any day Winterval is on is a great buzz and I love the atmosphere down there with hundreds at the light show and hundreds at the panto too... great buzz. They'd want to have a little look at some of the stalls prices though - but overall as I said before - I can't remember Waterford without Winterval, and I'd rather not see it without it in the future.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ engiweirdo


    What is the actual Buzz with Wyse Park itself? Was apparently "regenerated" but still looks extremely grim. Definite "free hugs" tunnel vibe off it. Should build over it and be done with it. A half arsed "park" that can't be opened because of the amount of undesirables it would attract isn't much use to anyone.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ engiweirdo


    iphonehead wrote: »
    I honestly wonder do people expect too much from Winterval. That's not a criticism of anyone by the way. The Bishops Palace / Theatre Royal area does seem to be a critical mass of things though with the Horse Drawn Sleigh, Helter Skelter, Light show, market, Entertainment Stage and Panto all running in a very small proximity of each other... I wonder if it was spread out a little more maybe? then again - easy for me to say behind a keyboard.. the logistics wouldn't be my strong point. I think being around that area any day Winterval is on is a great buzz and I love the atmosphere down there with hundreds at the light show and hundreds at the panto too... great buzz. They'd want to have a little look at some of the stalls prices though - but overall as I said before - I can't remember Waterford without Winterval, and I'd rather not see it without it in the future.
    It's likely because if it was just sold as a Christmas Market, it would be grand for what Waterford is; small grimmish market town/ex-city. Brings a small bit of colour and life to town.

    It's actually marketed as "Ireland's Christmas Festival" though and I'd say a good few people arrive here expecting a bit more and leave kinda perplexed thinking is that it?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭ azimuth17


    engiweirdo wrote: »
    It's likely because if it was just sold as a Christmas Market, it would be grand for what Waterford is; small grimmish market town/ex-city. Brings a small bit of colour and life to town.

    It's actually marketed as "Ireland's Christmas Festival" though and I'd say a good few people arrive here expecting a bit more and leave kinda perplexed thinking is that it?
    How long did it take you to think up a post as offensive as that?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭ Stopitwillya


    engiweirdo wrote: »
    It's likely because if it was just sold as a Christmas Market, it would be grand for what Waterford is; small grimmish market town/ex-city. Brings a small bit of colour and life to town.

    It's actually marketed as "Ireland's Christmas Festival" though and I'd say a good few people arrive here expecting a bit more and leave kinda perplexed thinking is that it?

    Another wonderful post from Mr positive.
    Moan, moan, moan on every thread possible.
    And then wonder why you can't get a job.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ engiweirdo


    Another wonderful post from Mr positive.
    Moan, moan, moan on every thread possible.
    And then wonder why you can't get a job.

    What, do you follow me around? I'm not the only one needs to keep occupied by the look of things.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ engiweirdo


    azimuth17 wrote: »
    How long did it take you to think up a post as offensive as that?

    Offensive? How exactly?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭ sillysocks


    My kids love the Wyse park thing too, said it was up there with the light show as their favourite attraction.

    The Reg do have a film twice a day at weekends-Home Alone I believe.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭ dartboardio


    Bloody done with winterval at this stage! Maybe it’s just we live in a small city but walked through today at 4pm on a Tuesday and there was one or two stalls open by river island and of course the ones down by bishops palace never see the light of day until the weekend.

    It’s great for kids (on the weekend and all that) but nothing enjoyable really for solo adults. Or couples,

    I was in Germany the weekend and there was hundreds of markets and way more adults then kids! Stuff for everybody, yesterday on a Monday at 1pm in the afternoon there was thousands of people and hundreds of markets open.

    Maybe it’s just waterford isn’t that busy of a city but kinda disappointing when the festival only happens on the weekend, I know it’s for kids but judging other Christmas markets around the world that are catered for absolutely all ages, it’s disappinting when winterval is only for kids really, and well the food wouldn’t be much to talk about either, two hot dog stands, an expensive burger stand and a few coffee huts.

    I’m all for supporting local but yes I agree winterval has lost some of its magic and needs a bit of a revamp instead of the exact same things back year after year ( with the addition of a couple) think it needs a whole do over as it feels a bit forced now


  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭ Captain Red Beard


    Germany versus Waterford eh?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭ dartboardio


    Germany versus Waterford eh?

    I know they’re not comparable however Waterford is supposed to be a city, one of the few in Ireland, and I feel they could provide more than winterval has, or maybe not.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ Christy Browne


    One of the best things to happen in Waterford in the past decade and still people find a way to knock it at every turn. Thankfully the eternal pessimists seem to only poke their heads out on here and the majority of people in Waterford love Winterval.


  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ iphonehead


    I don't like 100% of the offering Winterval has - but I see swathes of positivity in what they are trying to do with (what I reckon) is a limited budget. It's very easy be critical and knock things - something we are very good at in Waterford, but all I can see is the city full of life for 6 weekends... and I say long may it continue. Maybe I'm living in a pollyanna existence and I can only see the good in all these festivals - but at least somebody is trying dammit... you don't have to eat the (admittedly) overpriced food to enjoy the light show etc... why oh why are we so good at tearing everything asunder in Waterford? Anyway - not aimed at anybody in particular, just a general comment and no offence meant to any other opinions - we are all entitled to our own and your opinion is never wrong - it's your opinion.. so lets all respect each others and let those of us that love Winterval enjoy it, and those that don't choose to stay away - everyone wins.


  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ comeraghs


    Having been to both Limerick & Galway over the last 3 weekends I really have to say that WINTERVAL is by far the best event & it really is disappointing to see such pointless negativity from a few. but some will be miserable whatever happens.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭ alta stare


    comeraghs wrote: »
    Having been to both Limerick & Galway over the last 3 weekends I really have to say that WINTERVAL is by far the best event & it really is disappointing to see such pointless negativity from a few. but some will be miserable whatever happens.

    Galway is the most over rated place in this country.

    The buzz in Waterford over xmas is great. Way better than most places. I have noticed tho and I dont know maybe im out of the loop a bit more lately but to me it doesnt seem as if Winterval is being advertised as much this year. Is it losing its appeal, or is it a budget thing???


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ Deiseen


    alta stare wrote: »
    Galway is the most over rated place in this country.

    The buzz in Waterford over xmas is great. Way better than most places. I have noticed tho and I dont know maybe im out of the loop a bit more lately but to me it doesnt seem as if Winterval is being advertised as much this year. Is it losing its appeal, or is it a budget thing???

    Galway is a great place. There's a reason it gets over a million tourists a year. We could learn a thing or two from them.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭ debok


    I said before familiarity breeds contempt. But Waterford people don't even need to be familiar. Just seems to be something in the water down here but Jesus we have some knockers and naysayers.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭ alta stare


    Deiseen wrote: »
    Galway is a great place. There's a reason it gets over a million tourists a year. We could learn a thing or two from them.

    It gets it because of its location not because the city itself is great.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ Deiseen


    alta stare wrote: »
    It gets it because of its location not because the city itself is great.

    Any tourist that I've known that's ever been to Galway has loved it. It's a great place.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭ alta stare


    Deiseen wrote: »
    Any tourist that I've known that's ever been to Galway has loved it. It's a great place.

    Well now you have come across someone who thinks it is overrated. Mad isnt it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ Deiseen


    alta stare wrote: »
    Well now you have come across someone who thinks it is overrated. Mad isnt it.

    You're entitled to your opinion but the place is booming so it's doing something right.


  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭ azimuth17


    Deiseen wrote: »
    You're entitled to your opinion but the place is booming so it's doing something right.
    Its the poster child for the "west" and is very successful on that basis. Its development has been bought into by other counties in the province. No one can deny that it is"sexy" in visitor and tourism terms. Lots of government funding has helped over the years. Better politicians, better lobbying? Annual income from tourism circa €500m. Waterford circa €85m. 23000 third level students does help though.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ Deiseen


    azimuth17 wrote: »
    Its the poster child for the "west" and is very successful on that basis. Its development has been bought into by other counties in the province. No one can deny that it is"sexy" in visitor and tourism terms. Lots of government funding has helped over the years. Better politicians, better lobbying? Annual income from tourism circa €500m. Waterford circa €85m. 23000 third level students does help though.

    It's definitely had more hand outs than I can count BUT it doesn't take away from the fact that it's a great place.

    Limerick is booming but its still a bit of a ****-hole.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭ alta stare


    Deiseen wrote: »
    You're entitled to your opinion but the place is booming so it's doing something right.

    It is booming for many reasons same as Waterford could. That side of the country was always going to have a big bustling place where people went and Galway happens to be that place. Waterford on the other hand has to contend with Kilkenny, Cork and to some degree Wexford.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ Deiseen


    alta stare wrote: »
    It is booming for many reasons same as Waterford could. That side of the country was always going to have a big bustling place where people went and Galway happens to be that place. Waterford on the other hand has to contend with Kilkenny, Cork and to some degree Wexford.

    Same as Waterford isnt.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ engiweirdo


    Deiseen wrote: »
    alta stare wrote: »
    It is booming for many reasons same as Waterford could. That side of the country was always going to have a big bustling place where people went and Galway happens to be that place. Waterford on the other hand has to contend with Kilkenny, Cork and to some degree Wexford.

    Same as Waterford isnt.
    Seems everywhere is in on the party but us. Just like last time.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭ Max Powers


    engiweirdo wrote: »
    Seems everywhere is in on the party but us. Just like last time.

    A lot of people partying here too engi, not you, plenty of others though.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ engiweirdo


    Max Powers wrote: »
    engiweirdo wrote: »
    Seems everywhere is in on the party but us. Just like last time.

    A lot of people partying here too engi, not you, plenty of others though.
    Fake triumphism Max. Achieves nothing. Most here are not doing as well as they could or indeed should be. Lets be honest at least. If not Dublin or Cork, make a reasonable comparison to Limerick or Galway. Still pretty bleak.


Advertisement