Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winterval 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Well you could set your watch to your elaborate and sarcastic replies to anyone who doesn't agree with your opinion, are you like that in real

Elaborate and sarcastic...nothing of the sort in my post, one of the original seriel whiners said he was in on Wednesday, all Winterval events are not fully on until Friday to Sunday so he didn't see it all, probably saw nothing, just nonsense from usuals is all.as I said, they bad mouth everything, do nothing.
    House of horrors except Christmas theme, kinda like a Santa's grotto...if only they thought of that.
    Good crowds around today in spite of weather, good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,772 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Really enjoyed the day

Horse sleight ride was good, whole city was buzzing and the santa in the old quay sorting office was amazing for the kids something they will remember for years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Have no problems with the festival at all in fact it's brilliant from the crowds I saw yesterday .

But the organised begging around this city is getting rediculous. There are three beggers operating between Penny's and the towards the corner of the AIB on the Quay. That's just in that small area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I seen that last night and i was thinking the exact same thing its in a stupid location

Yupbad location alright and behind it by cafe Nero (old sports savers) there’s nothing there so looks fairly run down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Well you could set your watch to your elaborate and sarcastic replies to anyone who doesn't agree with your opinion, are you like that in real life?

:D This made me chuckle

On topic, going into Winterval this weekend coming, weather permitting. To be honest I couldn't give a shíte once my little one enjoys it as Christmas is for kids (in my opinion)... I doubt any of them mind if it's a bit repetitive year on year. As they get older they will be interested in different parts of the experience so something new each year in that regard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭914

lassykk wrote: »
    :D This made me chuckle

On topic, going into Winterval this weekend coming, weather permitting. To be honest I couldn't give a shíte once my little one enjoys it as Christmas is for kids (in my opinion)... I doubt any of them mind if it's a bit repetitive year on year. As they get older they will be interested in different parts of the experience so something new each year in that regard

I would highly recommend the letter collection on the applemarkat at 4.30. Its brilliant and the kids love it

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

Christmas is for kids. And Winterval tries to spread the magic around the City for a few weeks. Its great to the see and hear the smiles & laughs of all the kids on any given weekend around town in the run up to Christmas. I hope they will retain the memories for a lifetime. There's enough bad things in the world so anything that highlights the good in life is welcome. The town looks good. There's a nice festive buzz about. What's not too like. As another post stated "what was the town like before Winterval??". If you don't like it then avoid town till mid January then.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭joebloggs123

Going down for a long weekend and will probably go around the various activities in the evening. Is there much about Waterford in general to do during the day? Will have a toddler with us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Going down for a long weekend and will probably go around the various activities in the evening. Is there much about Waterford in general to do during the day? Will have a toddler with us

Number 9 restaurant good for kids anyway, food Nice too, sit near play area all the way in. Plenty of food stalls around too, start off cathedral square area.
    Since here for weekend, I'd try look at winterval events and see what you fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Was in around town this afternoon and evening. Have to say they have done a fantastic job this year. The place was buzzing.

I had my 7yr old with me and she loved the elf post collection routine and how they involved all the children onlooking.

The light show was lovely this year, really kept everyone's attention and the atmosphere was magic.

My only issue is with the horses lugging people around in the carriage. Especially on the cobbled pedestrian areas. Now, I'm assured by folk that they are well cared for, swapped regularly with another set and get lots of rest but it doesn't sit right with me.

Enjoy it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Was in around town this afternoon and evening. Have to say they have done a fantastic job this year. The place was buzzing.

I had my 7yr old with me and she loved the elf post collection routine and how they involved all the children onlooking.

The light show was lovely this year, really kept everyone's attention and the atmosphere was magic.

My only issue is with the horses lugging people around in the carriage. Especially on the cobbled pedestrian areas. Now, I'm assured by folk that they are well cared for, swapped regularly with another set and get lots of rest but it doesn't sit right with me.

Enjoy it!

The horses are bred for that. If it doesn't do what's it's bred for then that would be cruel. Like dopey dog owners who own a big dog and don't walk the thing and then wonder why it's mad and always barking etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I live in Carlow and we have been travelling down with our 3 kids every year.
    I'm not a moaner and for the first few years I absolutely loved it , and everything about it, but last year was a bit lack lustre but we just thought maybe it was just a bad year. After about 90 mins yesterday , my kids wanted to go home. They all complained that it was nothing like the early years.

I tried to explain the positives and encourage them but they just feel the magic is not there and were wondering where all the activities and decoration was. Its a pity as as a family we really looked forward to it every year but after 2017 and yesterday , I think that will be it for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I'm not a moaner and for the first few years I absolutely loved it , and everything about it, but last year was a bit lack lustre but we just thought maybe it was just a bad year. After about 90 mins yesterday , my kids wanted to go home. They all complained that it was nothing like the early years.

I tried to explain the positives and encourage them but they just feel the magic is not there and were wondering where all the activities and decoration was. Its a pity as as a family we really looked forward to it every year but after 2017 and yesterday , I think that will be it for us.

What was lacking the past few years vs the previous years?
    I keep meaning to head down myself as I’ve never been. Maybe there’s certain days where there’s more going on (timetabled events).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Kids get older and their expectations change, which might also have a bearing on their reactions.

Sorry to hear they were not entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Kids get older and their expectations change, which might also have a bearing on their reactions.

Sorry to hear they were not entertained.

No they are 8, 10 and 14, and it is not a case they were not entertained, they are easily pleased to be fair and are happy go lucky kids. There just did not seem to be the same breath of events and also they normally really enjoy over in front and across from Waterford Crystal, but there was almost nothing there. We went looking for an elves event over at Lombard street and got hassled by a junkie and could not find the event at all.
    Then went back to find the toy museum and they were really dissapointed when it was not there.
    On our way back towards the small Ferris wheel my 10 yr old was asked for some change and his Leinster cap from a beggar. There was a fair few beggars around and it was obvious from an exchange between 2 of them that it is organised.
    Anyway , I am not dissing Winterval, and credit to the organisers as they still do great work. I am just giving my opinion. The magic is gone for us, and we have many really nice family memories from years before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Samsgirl wrote: »

Enjoy it!

They should be shot and sent to the knackers yard for glue production!
    When will all this sh*te ever end? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

They should be shot and sent to the knackers yard for glue production!
    When will all this sh*te ever end? :)

Possibly when no one one cares about animals anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

I was in at Winterval on Friday & again on Sunday with my 2 kids & we all enjoyed it.

The new SPRAOI Winter Wonderland in Wyse Park was a huge hit. I had to drag the 2 1/2 year old out of there.

The Light show was very good, with the surprise at the end a big hit.

The Carousel Ride & the Big Wheel on the Quay were popular too.

The play area & selfie station in Georges Court were also good.

The Art Exhibition at 44TheQuay was lovely too for us biggies.

I'll be down on Sunday for a look! Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

I'll be down on Sunday for a look! Looking forward to it.

Looking forward to Winterval?

Or getting to rant afresh on here afterwards? :)

• Advertisement

kuang1 wrote: »
    Looking forward to Winterval?

Or getting to rant afresh on here afterwards? :)

I'm only down for the weekend so hopefully the weather will be fine
    and hopefully it won't disappoint. Firstly though, those cabins are too small.
    You get the feeling that you are about to be mugged when you walk into one.

Only sayin'

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Was in with extended family Saturday and great atmosphere. People around as well. Big wheel exciting. Skating a big hit as well and kids loved the horse and stagecoach (whatever you call it).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Little off topic but notice the coco cola lorry is coming to Waterford this year (tomorrow)

https://www.coca-cola.ie/stories/the-coca-cola-christmas-truck-tour-is-here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Brought the youngster (6yo) into the winter wonderland in Wyse Park this evening, and he loved it! Excellent setup in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Was in town today and it was buzzing but buzzing with greed, all for one f****** day, you would swear the shops will be closed for a month but no the greedy bastards are open the day after Xmas to manipulate people into buying **** they can’t afford or need, the big corporates must love how greedy the Irish really are, well I for one won’t buy into this manipulation of the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

200motels wrote:
    Was in town today and it was buzzing but buzzing with greed, all for one f****** day, you would swear the shops will be closed for a month but no the greedy bastards are open the day after Xmas to manipulate people into buying **** they can’t afford or need, the big corporates must love how greedy the Irish really are, well I for one won’t buy into this manipulation of the masses.

Is it dangerous group think rather than greed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Brought the kids on Sunday for the day. There was some good and some not so good.

The day was a bit slow kicking off which was fair enough. Santa was great although I’m not sure about the location. Last year it was in the same place but seemed there was more space. They’ve also had it in better locations throughout the years. Santa himself was good with the kids and they loved him. I had mixed feelings on the kids choosing their toys. In one sense, I’d rather have Santa give them the presents. In another, there is less chance of them getting something they don’t want. One year, they give Winterval branded teddy bears to everyone which were just utter sh!te. So all in all, the Santa experience was a good one.

The town looked well and the stalls were really well set out and created a good atmosphere. The collection of the letters in the Apple Market was fantastic. The guy doing it was brilliant as were the kids dancing but the whole event was really enjoyable and very well organised. For a free event it was top class.

The Waterford Eye was great as was the horse ride. I took a trip up to Wyse Park but it was closed and looked abandoned almost. Maybe I went at the wrong time (around 3pm).

I do feel though that the event has lost something over the last few years. Down around Reginald’s Tower used to be one of the epicentres of the event, now there is nothing. I don’t know why but it’s a shame. Things like the Toy Museum, Santa and the Storytelling down by the Reg made that a corner of activity. Also, Waterford On Ice has been moved away from the Quay I think which is a shame too. Having it so central meant people would see it even if they didn’t go and added to the event as a whole.

I love Winterval and think it was a stroke of genius from whoever came up with it. It makes me proud of Waterford even though I no longer live there. I fully understand that with a festival as big as this, you will have hits and misses. I just hope that we continue to have more hits with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

200motels wrote: »

Considering there's a another 2 weeks of this before the "big day" itself the greed is just about to become greedier. Don't get me wrong I like Christmas but the need to splurge on absolutely everything is pretty insane. Presents, Decorations, Gifts, Huge Amounts of Food/Drink... the list is endless. And as you say the day passes by pretty quickly and then its the NY's Sales! B4 you know it will be Valentines Day! The Paddys Day! Then Easter etc etc.

I think everyone should pause and think about the real message of Christmas for a change: "to give up one's very self — to think only of others — how to bring the greatest happiness to others — that is the true meaning of Christmas.”

Over the past number of years rather than follow the masses in their quest to buy as much as possible I have stepped out of the madness in the run up to Christmas. Yes I buy gifts for those close to me. However, its a refreshing change to take a walk on the beach in Tramore or out on the Greenway whilst many of those around us are dragging bags of stuff here'n'there, ploughing through the masses etc. Its nice to sit back and relax over the "holidays". Who needs the stress of speed shopping? In general the dark days of this time of year leading up to the winter solstice lend themselves to a slow wind down rather than a marathon shopping exhibition.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Considering there's a another 2 weeks of this before the "big day" itself the greed is just about to become greedier. Don't get me wrong I like Christmas
    In general the dark days of this time of year leading up to the winter solstice lend themselves to a slow wind down rather than a marathon shopping exhibition.

WTF has that got to do with Winterval??

Go bore people on After Hours maybe ........
    BAH HUMBUG !!!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

"I took a trip up to Wyse Park but it was closed and looked abandoned almost. Maybe I went at the wrong time (around 3pm). "

It runs from 5 to 8. Lots of cool lighting features so needs to be dark.

Well worth making the effort to return to see it. My kids spent a good hour there and all for free.

Advertisement