Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adults who don't drive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

I only drive because someone needs to in my family: never liked driving, got my license when I was 32 (after my baby arrived).
    - spending money on taxis/buses/trains was ok with me.

Then ... if I were to imagine a more desirable alternative in future, it would be for me to have an executive car driven by a personal chauffeur // would be happy to sit at the back and relax while somebody else drives me everywhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I know a lad like the OP is referring to. In his early 50s, three kids and has never driven nor has he any intention of doing so. His wife drives but she doesnt enjoy it and can be nervous. Hence his not driving affect their family life- they never have trips away down the country with the kids, furthest they go is to the local park. When it comes to weddings/events she is always driving and him always drinking. Personally I think it is quite selfish and I know it has put a big strain on their relationship but he still wont sort it out.
    VeryTerry wrote: »
    I learned in my late 20's because like others here I worked in the city centre.

I wish I did it sooner purely for going on holidays around Ireland or renting a car abroad. It opens up a whole new world you couldn't see without a car.

For me this has always been one of the best reasons to know how to drive. Ireland is a beautiful place but the best spots have no public transport. If you havent driven the likes of the Conor Pass, Slea Head, Beara peninsula, Wild Atlantic Way, etc then you are completely missing out. You dont even need to own a car, just have a license so that you can rent one. Its the same with holidays abroad, outside of the big cities you miss out big time if you cant drive.

Even though I don’t use the car that much, I am very glad I can drive. It becomes especially useful if you choose to have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,383 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I live in a small village and work in the city so a car is essential to people living in rural areas.

I couldn't care less if someone can't drive as long as they don't come looking for free lifts as there is no public transport here., I had to deal with leeches like that in the past and won't let that happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Muahahaha wrote: »
    For me this has always been one of the best reasons to know how to drive. Ireland is a beautiful place but the best spots have no public transport. If you havent driven the likes of the Conor Pass, Slea Head, Beara peninsula, Wild Atlantic Way, etc then you are completely missing out. You dont even need to own a car, just have a license so that you can rent one. Its the same with holidays abroad, outside of the big cities you miss out big time if you cant drive.

That's exactly it. The most stunning beautiful places in Ireland are away from cities or towns. Knowing how to drive opens a lot of options that wouldn't be accessible otherwise. There is no need to own a car if you don't need it as long as you can hire one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

In my thirties and currently learning to drive. I live in Dublin can walk to work and honestly I just couldn’t afford to drive until now. Now I have the money I am learning. It can be embarrassing driving around with L plates but I am getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

If you're older and driving with L or N plates, people could quite realistically assume that the plates belong to your teenage child :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Id hate to be learning to drive right now than 20 years ago. At least back then a L plate told people to be cautious around you, nowadays it seems to tell people to be aggressive around you

• Registered Users Posts: 16,383 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Id hate to be learning to drive right now than 20 years ago. At least back then a L plate told people to be cautious around you, nowadays it seems to tell people to be aggressive around you

They were just as bad back then bullying learners on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I started driving around a field when I was about 11 years of age after taking hay off it. My father would then give me driving lessons up and down back roads when I was 12. There was no guards and you'd rarely meet any other cars except local people who wouldn't report you anyway.

Got behind the wheel officially aged 18 and within weeks came within inches of death, took a break from driving and got back driving again in an Automatic when I was 19, never looked back and only this year changed my car. I have driven in America, Germany (Autobahn), Australia and in Asia since then. I would often go out for a drive just for the pleasure of driving especially before when fuel was cheaper back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Thargor wrote: »
    I honestly can't wait to see what the options are like in 10 years time though with the rate technology is evolving, young people in places like China and India don't even bother with cars anymore, they're all on Ebikes or Escooters.

They have a **** ton of public transport and might seldom travel beyond their own area in their lifetimes. Let's see you hop on your ebike with toddlers in tow or in your 50s or 60s and see how you get on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Little Less Conversation

I'm so glad I learned to drive when the rules for learners weren't so strict and they actually allowed learners on their own on the road. I had a car back then and passed my test first time. But the cost of a car is crippling. I rent cars whenever I need to now and I don't have the full expense of owning a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

This is a free country where anyone is perfectly entitled to decide to drive or not drive as they see fit not everyone has the means or condition to afford a car and even if they did who is anyone to decide that they should be forced to learn to drive a car if they choose not to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭TheDavester

mohawk wrote: »
    In my thirties and currently learning to drive. I live in Dublin can walk to work and honestly I just couldn’t afford to drive until now. Now I have the money I am learning. It can be embarrassing driving around with L plates but I am getting there.

im simlar age bracket and probably going to make an actual effort to do it, after xmas, I used to work full time in retail working 50ish hours a week and too tired to try and didn't need to as I live in Cork city and 10 mins walk from the store. now ive an office job, while not needed im going to get the licence, but probably wont get a car, as its too bloody expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I'm 27 and never learned to drive.

I don't need to
    I don't want to
    I can't afford to
    I cycle, bus or walk everywhere without issues.

Only time I wish I could drive is when I want to take off to a random county and go hiking or whatever. But purely living in Dublin, I have never felt like I need a car.

My live usually consists of going from kimmage to college (8 min cycle), town (20ish mini cycle) and my girlfriend's (25ish mini cycle).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I did not start driving until i was 28. I was living in the city so i did not need a car. Decided then to do my theory test and 8 months later had my full licence, i have to admit i wish i had done it when i was 17. The car is something id never give up. I am going to get the younglads learner permit sorted after xmas so he gets his full one as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Mutant z wrote: »
    This is a free country where anyone is perfectly entitled to decide to drive or not drive as they see fit not everyone has the means or condition to afford a car and even if they did who is anyone to decide that they should be forced to learn to drive a car if they choose not to

I really think Drivers Education should be provided in final leaving certificate year. It's no hard to learn it and learn properly and it would go a long way to reducing road fatalities going forward. We learn Irish, Religion and Algebra etc. all things we may never need to use again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Can't afford a car, insurance and lessons are just too damn expensive, in saying that I'd love to learn and regret not learning when I was 18-20, sometimes my friend will pick me up and drive us to the cinema or whatever and I'll buy her a coffee, or if we drive to town and she parks in carpark I'll contribute to that or if it's long distance travel I'll contribute to petrol and buy her a coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

I can't drive and I'm 30. I guess I must be a woman-child. Shockingly I managed to get married despite my driving disability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

theguzman wrote: »
    I really think Drivers Education should be provided in final leaving certificate year. It's no hard to learn it and learn properly and it would go a long way to reducing road fatalities going forward. We learn Irish, Religion and Algebra etc. all things we may never need to use again.

yes that could be an option for those who may choose to do it but it certainly shouldn't be compulsory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I lived in Dublin and then london and never really needed to drive. Then I moved to the US and was stranded without it so I learned a few years back. I wouldn't be without my car now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Thomyokk

iguana wrote: »
    I didn't start learning to drive until I was 37. I had no need to drive before then. As a learner driver I occasionally felt a bit embarrassed to have L plates and an accompanying driver, especially around fully licensed people who were clearly a lot younger than me. And I'd chastise myself for not learning sooner. Then I'd remember the lovely detached house I bought for cash when I was 35 and be relieved I'd never been so stupid as to spend a couple of decades wasting thousands of euros a year on a car I had no need for.

It makes sense to not waste money on a skill that's expensive to gain and maintain. Because when the time comes that you do need it, it really doesn't take that long to get to grips with. I drive all the time now. I've racked up more driving time in the last year and a half than many people do in a decade. I have two vehicles, a car and a campervan and driving the latter, a large heavy vehicle with no rear view requires a reasonably different skillset that many people who have been driving 20 years would struggle to get to grips with. I'm glad I've learned to drive, having the camper in particular gives me access to a lifestyle I couldn't have as a non driver. But waiting to learn until I was at a point in my life where I needed to drive and could afford to drive also contributed to my current lifestyle in positive ways so I'm glad I waited until it was necessary.

Ok

I'm pleased about the campervan and the house too

Like many of the older posters on boards, I grew up in a time when public transport was being dismantled, many railway lines closed and suburban living was where it was.
    All things that meant that you grew up with an expectation that you got a driving licence as soon as possible, without one you were effectively "grounded".

If someone is in a position that they feel they don't need to drive then why not, things are different now as the "car is king" mentality had gone and alternative forms of transport are now more acceptable, "bus ****" are not looked down on anymore.

But personally, I live in a rural area and work in the nearby town, so car is the only realistic form of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,636 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

theguzman wrote: »

Would it really? Most drivers involved in crashes are qualified, tested drivers, so why would earlier lessons solve the problem? Maybe regular retesting of all drivers every three to five years would be a better option. The idea of a once-in-a-lifetime test is just silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It depends on where you live , if you live in a city with good public transport you may not need to drive.
    keeping a car on the road cost.s 5-10k per year.
    IF you live in rental accomodation you might not have any space to park
    a car.
    Its cheaper to take the bus,cycle , to work.Maybe take the odd taxi.
    The traffic in dublin is bad now, it would be awful if every adult had a car.
    i see nothing great about driving ,itss not good for the environment .
    Maybe young people have other things to spend money on,
    rent ,saving for a house.
    I think the no of drivers is falling if you just count people under 30.
    Its a trend .Maybe its like smoking ,its no longer cool to smoke .
    Insurance is expensive the younger you are the more you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

They have a **** ton of public transport and might seldom travel beyond their own area in their lifetimes. Let's see you hop on your ebike with toddlers in tow or in your 50s or 60s and see how you get on.
    Jesus calm down (although ebikes are absolutely perfect for people in their 50s and 60s). I dont use an Ebike btw, prefer the free exercise from the original design.

Dublin and most cities are completely and utterly choked with single occupant cars, small electric vehicles of every description are a perfect solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,636 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Something like this, perhaps?

bunchbikes_giftsforthewholefamily_redtricycle2017.jpg

Or this?

Old_couple_cycling-1024x682.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

jmayo wrote: »
    You know that a lot of people killed in accidents are pedestrians.
    And get this you can die as a passenger in a car

yes of course but i think u missed my point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

When I was younger, until say late 20's I didn't really need to drive, I bought a house that had good public transport, I had no kids, I was never in that much of a panic to get anywhere or buy a big shop or anything like that. So, I wasn't even that pushed about learning but I wanted something to put in the CV so I got my license and boy am I glad I did!

From about 28 onwards is when I really saw the benefit...

1: Recession hit hard and all our public transport up our way was cancelled and deemed unecessary! ALOT of older people were left stranded with no way to the nearest shopping centre or city centre - 10 years later and still no sign of the bus returning (and I am not rural - there are four very large estates in my area but mostly all young families who drive, so noone is really fighting for it)

2: I had a kid and jaysus is it a pain going anywhere with a small child, trying to drag a buggy and all their ****e to the shop and then lugging all that and all the shopping up a hill in the pissing rain/snow/wind is a fuppin nightmare. It was back breaking after a while. I won't even go into too much detail about the time I had to drive home in my vest and knickers because the baby puked and shat all over me and herself. That would have been a delightful walk home....

3: Child is older now so I'm in the car all day, racing to school drop off, then to work, then back for pick ups and then off to extra curricular whatever they're signed up for and birthday parties at the weekend. Getting herself to walk the five minutes to the school gates when youre in a hurry is actually the most painful part of the day. If it's pissing raining she'll walk extra slow - I could not imagine having to walk any major distance with a 5 year old, it's painful!!!

4: My choice in schools would be severely limited if I had no car - nearest primary to me is an absolute scumbag nest of a school - the best school is about a 15 min drive away from me (or about an hour walk and if you've to drag a 5 year old with you, you can double that and add endless whining, lying on the floor, crying and begging to be carried ) same deal will be with the secondry schools. There is no public transport that would get me anywhere near these schools.

5: I now have to do a big shop once a week because I'm on a budget, I can't dick around with food anymore and going to the shop every evening is just not something I can do anymore. I am not within walking distance of any Aldi/Lidl so I'd have to pay for a taxi and again, I'm dragging a child with me, a child that needs a booster seat.

6: The amount of times I've had to race to a doctor or hospital at 4am with a sick child (and twice a very sick husband and once a very pregnant me)- I was so glad I had the car those days, one of those times was the hubby needing emergency care on christmas eve at 4am - no way in hell I would have been able to get a taxi that night!!

I would be completely lost without the car - when I was young and carefree none of the issues would have come up, I strolled everywhere with the earphones in but jaysus they're a reality now! :( Car is 100% a necessity!

I know plenty of women in their 60's who never learned to drive and relied on the husband to ferry them places and are now fupped because the hubby died and the kids are all living too far away to be of any help. They're very isolated now - even though they are living close to the city because they can't walk like they used to and they have to rely on taxis and neighbours to go anywhere. They're extra shagged now because our local post office and bank both closed up and moved a good distance away - no big deal for me but a huge deal to them, they dont have internet so no internet banking and now have to travel a distance to access their money! Now the nights are dark at 5pm and the weather is ****e they're nearly trapped in their homes most of the day. I couldnt live like that!

• Advertisement

More people should get scooters. They're the defacto in Vietnam and I love having one. My 125cc sits comfortably at 100kmph if I want and it's got a load of room under the seat for shopping.

Cheap as chips to run and fast around a city. Easy to park. A proper raincoat stops you getting wet.

Advertisement