Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adults who don't drive

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

jmayo wrote: »
    Notice anything about those two pics ???
    Well where I am sitting it is miserable today outside and that tends to be quite normal for little old Ireland.

We don't tend to have those lovely sun drenched days ala your nice pics.

Oh and both of those look like they were taken in a park, not a busy thoroughfare or where one might be going shopping, etc.

Not exactly weather akin to the Med in the Netherlands and they manage on bikes handy enough. Attitude is the main difference. From top (infrastructure) to bottom (numerous end users) cycling is embraced as realistic means of urban transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Well where I am sitting it is miserable today outside and that tends to be quite normal for little old Ireland.

people overestimate how much it rains here. Twice in the last 6 months have I needed to change out of wet clothes at the end of a commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Not exactly weather akin to the Med in the Netherlands and they manage on bikes handy enough. Attitude is the main difference. From top (infrastructure) to bottom (numerous end users) cycling is embraced as realistic means of urban transport.

Dutch had more passenger cars per capita than Irish. In fact most of rich European countries (except Denmark) have more cars per capita than Ireland. Cycling and driving are not mutually exclusive.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Passenger_cars_in_the_EU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Oh and both of those look like they were taken in a park, not a busy thoroughfare or where one might be going shopping, etc.

As someone who used to cycle to work and to buy groceries in one of the rainiest parts of the country statistically, it was very rarely that I was rained upon. Persistent rain is pretty rare in Ireland. It tends to be more showery. Plus, I never minded cycling in rain. AND sunny summer days were my least favourite days to cycle as it was sweaty work. I loved cycling in the winter and I hate being cold. You warm up quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

So put a raincoat on. Doesn't mean can you can't cycle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Something like this, perhaps?

bunchbikes_giftsforthewholefamily_redtricycle2017.jpg

Or this?

Old_couple_cycling-1024x682.jpg

Yes they're stock pictures obviously not taken in Ireland.

Cycling infrastructure isn't suitable for most part here. And yes I do cycle and I find cycle lanes shockingly poor, designed by people who don't have a bulls notion.

Add to the mix people who couldn't drive a 6" nail through a pound of butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,630 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Something like this, perhaps?

bunchbikes_giftsforthewholefamily_redtricycle2017.jpg

Or this?

Old_couple_cycling-1024x682.jpg

Yes they're stock pictures obviously not taken in Ireland.

Cycling infrastructure isn't suitable for most part here. And yes I do cycle and I find cycle lanes shockingly poor, designed by people who don't have a bulls notion.

Add to the mix people who couldn't drive a 6" nail through a pound of butter.
    While there are certainly problems with infrastructure and with typical driver skills, cycling is very doable for many commutes and school runs in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭GowlBagJohnson

I drive and have my own car but I'm unemployed atm. Does this mean I have more or less value as a person by boards.ie standards?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I drive and have my own car but I'm unemployed atm. Does this mean I have more or less value as a person by boards.ie standards?

Think you're the reason boards was broke this morning. It couldn't handle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

They cancel each other out :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Does boards have a standard standard? Can we clarify it by giving it a number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Clearly if you are a dole scrounger (your words) then you are not even a person by boards standards.

You are Untermensch.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭GowlBagJohnson

....... wrote: »
    Clearly if you are a dole scrounger (your words) then you are not even a person by boards standards.

You are Untermensch.

Danke dir mein führer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It means it will be easier for you to get a job of sales person.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Each to their own.

I hate public transport most of the time. Nothing worse than sitting / standing in a sticky cramped bus in the early hours of the morning.
    Can't stand waiting for public transport as well.

When the weather is really ****e I take the car. Otherwise I use a motorcycle :)

Car is also great for weekend shopping and ferry the kids around.
    Furthermore it's great to jump into the car and drive to secluded places (especially if you like outdoor activities ).

Wife doesn't drive which has never bothered me.
    I couldn't imagine being without a car or motorbike as I like flexibility and independence.

Advertisement